Assalamu alaykum readers,

We have had some great additions to the MuslimMatters family.

This week we will be publishing our first post by internationally acclaimed author Umm Zakkiyah.

Umm Zakiyyah was born in 1975 in Long Island, New York, to parents who had come from devoutly Christian homes. Her parents, Clark and Delores Moore, accepted Islam that year, and thus Umm Zakiyyah became the first child of her parents to be born into Islam. Because of this, when Clark and Delores changed their and their children's names to Islamic ones years later, they chose the name “Baiyinah” for Umm Zakiyyah, because the name meant “clear evidence”—and for them, her birth represented the birth of spiritual clarity, when truth became clear from falsehood.

Umm Zakiyyah spent most of her childhood in Indianapolis, Indiana, where she wrote articles for local newspapers and essays and poetry for college publications nationally. In college, as a student at the prestigious Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, she wrote articles for the school's newspaper and received various awards for her leadership and academic achievements.

In 1997, she graduated from Emory University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in elementary education and went on to make a name for herself as a writer, teacher, and inspirational speaker. She appeared on radio and TV in the United States and Canada, and was a guest lecturer at national conferences and youth events.

2001 marked the release of her first novel, If I Should Speak, which immediately received international attention from the United Kingdom and Australia and quickly became a bestseller in stores throughout the United States. The novel earned national and international acclaim from professors and writers, as well as from magazines and newspapers, such as the American Muslim Magazine and the Muslim Link newspaper.

Please join us in welcoming Umm Zakkiyah to MuslimMatters.

25 Responses

1. midatlantic

What wonderful news to wake up to!! This is a gift to MM and its readers mashaAllah. Looking forward to your articles.

2. NAyma

Assalamu laikum.

Umm Zakiyyah,

Both my daughter Nur and I have read all your books in print and have it in our library!

May Allah reward you for writing them.

NAyma

3. bint Awwal

Welcome, and may Allah give you the ability to inspire many more readers through MM

4. Itzbor Ieng

Assalamu ‘Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah

Welcome Sr. Umm Zakiyyah to MM. May Allah bless you and your family; and accept all your good works as means of recurring charity for you.

-Itzbor Ieng

5. Yasmin

As-salaamu alaikum my dear sister Umm Zakiyyah! I would like to welcome you to this amazing blog! After reading this post about you, you have become an inspiration for me because I would also like to beome an author, Inshallah! I look forward to reading your posts!

6. Hafsa

Assalam Alaikum!

I love your book, “If I Should Speak”. The first ten chapters are included in our coursework in IOU and it’s a wonderful story.

7. Arif Kabir

Welcome to MuslimMatters! Māshā’Allāh, this must be one of the greatest additions so far! Just last night, I was recommending “If I Should Speak” to a brother who is going through some hard times SubhānAllāh.

Looking forward to a lot of great and insightful pieces!

8. Fatima

I read your book “If I Should Speak” so many times; each time I read it, I find something inspiring that I didn’t notice the first time. I look forward to reading your articles and I plan to read all your books, Insh’Allah!
    Welcome!

9. Halima

My sister and I just read and both commented on your first post sis! And can I just say man MM is super-freakin lucky to have you on board sis! Awesome-sauce! :D Looking forward to reading tons of your writing. To be honest I have never heard of you or your previous works and feel incredibly sad I didn’t have the fortune of reading them…but Insha’Allah I will. Peace! :D

10. shiney

Assalamu alaikum wr wb,
    I don’t know how long i’ve been procrastinating reading your books…my friend is your biggest fan! and one of my cousins was your student in Saudi!!!
    for several years your books have been at the back of my head but i just never get to read them. insha’Allah now is the time!

Welcome to MuslimMatters-one of my most favorite blogs in the world! May Allah make you a source of knowledge and wisdom for us and make this site a source of Barakah for you! Ameen=)

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

11. Daughter of Adam (AS)

Masha’Allah I’m SO pleased and excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! May Allah make this a beautiful and productive experience for everyone, particularly you, dear sister Umm Zakiyyah!

omG I’m just SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have TWO copies of the book “If I Should Speak”, because when I read it the first time I felt such a connection and understanding with the text that I HAD to buy one more to give to other people to read!!!!!!! And I’ve read almost every single one of the rest of your books <3

..SubhanAllah just this morning I lent "If I Should Speak" out to a friend :)

May Allah put grace and blessing in – I would've said every stroke of the pen- but every hit of the key! lol :)

12. Rana06

Welcome Um Zakkariyyah,

Your work is phenomenal mashAllah!! Keep up the good work, I love to see my fellow Muslim Sisters so achieved and accomplished. You are an inspiration to us all. May Allah SWT bless you and strengthen you to continue your work.

Barakah Allahu Feeki,
    Rana

13. Bint Alam

MashaAllaah. Alhamdulillaah, may Allaah make your stay with us here beneficial and a means of increment of our good deeds, ameen!

Welcome to MM sister :)

14. Umm Zakiyyah

Wa’alaiku mus salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barkaatuh,

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and du’aa! May Allah bless you all for your kindness and support. Please keep me and my writing in your du’aa.

Umm Zakiyyah
    themuslimauthor.com

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

15. my umrah package

Alhamdulillaah, I like your book, it’s more wonderful story i have never read before.May Allah bless you all for your kindness and thanks for posting this story.