Sports

Blogging the Big One: Pakistan vs India

And this is it, folks! India have managed to make 260 off 50 overs at a cost of nine wickets. It’s the Cricket World Cup semi-final in Mohali, India. The mood is festive, the atmosphere playful at times, and at times, tense! :)

I know you’re all too busy watching the phenomenal match to care about blogging right now but some of us here on Muslim Matters have been popping online to swap stories and share opinions. We know there’s a big cricket following amongst MM’s readership so thought it would be good to share some

Ameera is a final-year medical student and blogger based in Karachi, Pakistan. Having been born and raised in Tabuk, Saudi Arabia, her approach towards her Deen has always been rooted in a basic understanding from authentic sources, which was further polished during a three-year weekend course at Al Huda Institute. Her interests, though, seem to know no bounds and range from a passion for the culinary arts and travelling, as well as following current affairs and global happenings. She feels being able to be part of MuslimMatters is one of the major blessings of Allah(swt) upon her, for it has given her a chance to learn and grow. She also maintains her personal blog at http://duskanddawn.wordpress.com.

1. Amad

Amad

March 30, 2011 at 10:00 AM

as much as i hate to say it, Pak have an uncanny ability to disintegrate… so my heart wants Pak 2 win, my gut says India

March 30, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Nahiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin!! Don’t say that!!

DiscoMaulvi

March 30, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Amad you jinxed us bro….

Kanika Aggarwal

March 30, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Akmal goes, Hafeez is next – the downfall has begun inshaAllah =)

Hafsa

March 30, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Haha! You said it!

3. Amad

Amad

March 30, 2011 at 10:02 AM

U know it’s funny how much our emotions r invested in it (incl me…cant even watch) yet we have Muslims on both side of this and that the result will have absolutely zilch effect on our life or deen :)

March 30, 2011 at 10:13 AM

No, no, we’re trying to keep it Halal here… :) meaning Salah on its proper time, stay positive, enjoy it like a game, etc. etc. :)

Kanika Aggarwal

March 30, 2011 at 10:24 AM

thats why its entertainment =)

Hena Zuberi

March 30, 2011 at 11:47 AM

entertainment!! Kanika right now, watching this is more painful then a tooth extraction without anesthesia-

March 30, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Come on! Pakistan’s played really well today, Masha’Allah (Wahab Riaz was awesome!) and they’ve got off to a good start in their innings…

Kanika, you better hold on for a big ride ahead!! :D

5. Amad

Amad

March 30, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Here it goes… 2 gone…

Kanika Aggarwal

March 30, 2011 at 10:28 AM

cricinfo comments on Hafeez:

What was Hafeez thinking? Again, yet again, a lovely 30 -40 and he has combusted. He went for a paddle sweep, yeah a paddle sweep, to a full delivery outside off stump and edged it to Dhoni. Oh dear. Pressure? or over confidence?

March 30, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Save this for after the game! ;)

March 30, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Kanika, there’s plenty more where that came from, so don’t get too big for your boots. Besides, why aren’t you supporting your Muslim brothers? =P

March 30, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Hehe… yeah, we don’t wanna go there… ;)

Amad

March 30, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Shahid Afridi– ameer ul momineen?

March 30, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Errrr…no.

Hena Zuberi

March 30, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Bro Amad we have inside information that your moods depends on this match :P Be Happy

March 30, 2011 at 10:31 AM

My sister is refusing to watch any further. :D Well, at least until Pakistan is comfortable, in her opinions. :)

Kanika Aggarwal

March 30, 2011 at 10:33 AM

lol I sense this from Pakistanis – they seem to be getting ansy :P

March 30, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Nah, she’s just really jittery – she walked away when we hit a boundary, not when we lost that wicket! :D

F

March 30, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I’m doing the same :-)

March 30, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I can’t… I just enjoy the game and keep watching! :)

feint

March 30, 2011 at 10:33 AM

IF Shahid was Salafi, this match would be won
    LOL! on a serious note: whatever brings ease to the ummah… Let it happen iA. Allah is the best of planners.

March 30, 2011 at 10:39 AM

How come? :S I didn’t get the ‘salafi’ thing?

tahira

March 30, 2011 at 10:47 AM

away from my sweet home india widout a t.v in my flat(LONDON) watching online ! missed a whole trip wid frds to sum outside city tour! i just wish frm my bottom of heart that INSHALLAH INDIA WILL WIN!

10. Amad

Amad

March 30, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Seems Younis Khan is treating it like a 5-day… okay i get it.. but RR reaching 6… and its not like our lineup is loaded to get a lot

DiscoMaulvi

March 30, 2011 at 11:13 AM

I have this feeling Afridi is going to bat well finally in this match Insha’Allah….

For now Misbah and Umer Akmal will provide direction and strength Insha’Allah!!

-Aly

11. Amad

Amad

March 30, 2011 at 10:57 AM

All Muslims have to support Pak now :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcA0WCxcCws [added to post]

Just kidding, but its cool that Pak team is taking care of its priorities…

F

March 30, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Well, at least all the non Indian Muslims should be supporting Pak :-)

MalaiKulfi

March 30, 2011 at 11:18 AM

I used to support Pak until all the match fixing, spot fixing, ball tampering, pitch tampering, bad behavior on the field, bad behavior off the field issues cropped up!

What upset me the most of how their supporters always deny the allegations instead of condeming such actions openly.

I’m over them now. GO INDIA!

tahira

March 30, 2011 at 11:21 AM

YA thts sad! but welcume to the league! INSHALLAH INDIA WILL WIN!

F

March 30, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Only true supporters remain during the hard times. The rest are just bandwagon fans :-)

tahira

March 30, 2011 at 10:59 AM

MUSLIM AND PROUD TO B INDIAN YIPPY 1 MORE WICKET!!!!!!!

Syma Kashif

March 30, 2011 at 11:26 AM

I am a muslim and a pakistani so i am on the Paki side. Alhamdulillah ! our players are playing hard.But one question comes in my mind again and again that is “Why will Allah(swt) make Pakistan win this match?” Do we really make Allah (swt) happy. Being a muslim is another thing and embracing Islam is another! So lets embrace islam and pray to Allah the allmighty, that he reward the muslims with victory over the mushriqeen.

Hena Zuberi

March 30, 2011 at 11:39 AM

You are right sister,like one of our fave imams, AbuEesa said if we prayed to Allah like this everyday we would never face sadness or fear- so…. its a game leave it to that- it makes people happy, its a healthy sport, its fun Alhamdulillah for the many blessings!

March 30, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Points to ponder… indeed.

March 30, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Have been wondering the same myself as it felt like a huge relief when I went to pray Dhuhr and stand in front of Allah away from the dunya and its glitter and distractions, i.e. the cricket.

14. Hena Zuberi

Hena Zuberi

March 30, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Ok… I went to sleep, didn’t want to but couldn’t pull the allnighter- I do have a life! now that the kids are at school and my homeschooler is still asleep I can rejoin the fans- apparently largest game ever watched 1.5 billion watching.

March 30, 2011 at 11:48 AM

That’s nearly the entire Muslim population of the world!!

March 30, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Woah!

Fatima A. Khan

March 30, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Rooting for Pakistan inshaAllah, I think it’s a brilliant game from both ends. Both teams are at their best. Plain and simple – good match mashaAllah

March 30, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Back from a marathon dish-washing session and ahem ahem, are we in for a ride… up your game, Pakistan!!

March 30, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Ouch!! Oh well, it’s just a game! :D

Hena Zuberi

March 30, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Poor guy isn’t going back to Pakistan anytime soon- 3 runs 3!!

Kanika Aggarwal

March 30, 2011 at 12:11 PM

aaah so the game rests on one man now!

Siraaj

March 30, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Tell me when India wins, thanks!

Siraaj

Kanika Aggarwal

March 30, 2011 at 12:11 PM

shouldnt be too long now inshaAllah!

March 30, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Err, what happened to your diplomatic, sitting-on-the-fence routine?? INCREDIBLY disappointed by you, Siraaj. Hmph.

Siraaj

March 30, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Revenge for Pakistan beating Canada

Siraaj

March 30, 2011 at 1:25 PM

I thought you didn’t hold grudges!

DiscoMaulvi

March 30, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Siraaj you are being officially informed :'(

Siraaj

March 30, 2011 at 1:09 PM

My wife was like, “Why are you cheering india? Pakistan is the Muslim country, you should cheer for them.” I was like, “heck no, asabiyyah all the way baby.”

I kid, I kid. Go India!

Siraaj

F

March 30, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Well, at least one person in the family has the right idea ;-)

19. Hena Zuberi

Hena Zuberi

March 30, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Shoaib Akhter is prolly like “you should have let me bowl” can tell from his face – he’s retiring right?

Lets Go!! Be Afridi be be Afridi
    uurrgh the KhanTV site went down again- one of the cons of giving up cable- I miss it at times like these but Alhamdulillah it was a good decision.

March 30, 2011 at 12:23 PM

I know, I know! My husband went to watch the cricket in the doctor’s mess at work for that reason. No satellite in our house…hence no point in me going home from work yet either.

DiscoMaulvi

March 30, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Afridi will do it Insha’Allah!!!

DiscoMaulvi

March 30, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Good by Boom Boom!! Why you didnt take a power play I will never ever understand!!!!

Kanika Aggarwal

March 30, 2011 at 12:35 PM

hr shud have come much earlier in the lineup – there was no momentum when he came

20. Hena Zuberi

Hena Zuberi

March 30, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Hahaha AbuEsa just started a hashtag about excuses why Pakistan didnt win the game #nevermindpaks

Can you imagine all the haram and fitnah on Wilmslow Rd, Green St etc if we’d have won?! What a sacrifice Subhanallah. #nevermindPaks

How else was Kamran Akmal going to pay for his new house? #nevermindPaks

Who cares about stupid little games like cricket at such difficult and oppressive times like this for the Ummah anyway!? #nevermindPaks FAVorite

We didn’t want to take the attention off all our brothers and sisters who are going through trouble, by us winning the Cup. #nevermindPaks

March 30, 2011 at 12:31 PM

LOOOOOOOOOL. He’s right about the haraam and fitnah on Green St (London) and WIlmslow Road (Manchester).

March 30, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Awww, Abu Eesa’s making excuses for his brothers.

March 30, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Right, I’m off home. No point in sticking around to follow the match now! Let me know how it ends…

Kanika Aggarwal

March 30, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Harbhajan sends down a high full toss, Afridi attempts to smash it baseball-style down the ground but the ball takes the top edge and swirls up for cover to take an easy catch !

*bringing out my India flag*

Tahira

March 30, 2011 at 12:38 PM

still v cant say paki r unpredictable ! i just wish INDIA jaldi se jeet jaye !

March 30, 2011 at 12:40 PM

still v cant say paki r unpredictable !

FINALLY…An indian that speaks sense!!

Tahira

March 30, 2011 at 12:47 PM

whtever nw its pretty clear !hihihihihi if i make sense or not! CHAK DE INDIA!

Kanika Aggarwal

March 30, 2011 at 1:01 PM

LOL it was pretty clear before Afridi even came on the field. He was the only one who was capable of changing it around but once he left, there was absolutely no doubt!

Sara

March 30, 2011 at 12:45 PM

It’s refreshing to see the Pakistani team praying (Salat-ul-Maghrib I believe), MashaAllah. It’s unfortunate when watching any game keeps us glued to our seats neglecting the remembrance of Allah. JazakAllah khair for sharing the video Ameera.

In any case, whatever happens will happen by the Qadr of Allah, though my hopes and prayers are with Pakistan for a victory, Insha’Allah!

I hope we can make a comeback soon.

UmmOsman

March 30, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Salam

200 runs and 8 out :( :( It will be a miracle to make 61 runs in 5 overs . But still praying Inshallah!!
    Pakistan could use some happiness!!

Kanika Aggarwal

March 30, 2011 at 12:59 PM

get the mithai and the flags ready!

Hena Zuberi

March 30, 2011 at 1:19 PM

check the calories :P

Hafsa

March 30, 2011 at 1:24 PM

LOL!

Siraaj

March 30, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Just so y’all know, I’m not really into cricket. In fact, I haven’t watched a single minute of it. However, while we have many horrible things happening in the world, and we have much work to do on the spiritual side, a balanced life is one in which we also take time to unload and enjoy the things we enjoy to de-stress, mentally chillax and revive, and then come back to the important issues after that.

So it’s nice to see people reading and having fun with this :D

Siraaj

March 30, 2011 at 1:28 PM

So true. Now I’m back to pondering about my broken washing machine issues and hitting work deadlines tomorrow (seeing as today was almost wasted.)

March 30, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Nice way to put it! I feel nice, even though we lost… I had a good day with my family! :)

Zeemar

March 30, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Pakistan started out by batting really poorly in the beginning. This happened last world cup too. They suck at the beginning of batting and then studdenly start getting good at the end but then it’s too late. But much respect to Misbah-ul-Haq for keeping in there until the end. Had really hoped for Afridi to make a change but oh well. It is the Qadar of Allah and He Does as He Pleases. Good game.

Zeemar

March 30, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Much respect to Misbah-ul-Haq for hanging in there until the end.

Zeemar

March 30, 2011 at 1:27 PM

This happened last world cup too. Pakistan always starts out poorly with batting and then gets at the end but then it’s too late. Oh well.

Mezba

March 30, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Fantastic innings by Misbah ( :-) with a name like that you can’t go wrong!) and wonderful balling by Wahab but the rest of the team refused to show up. I was supporting India so it was a comfortable game in the end, but it was over all a cracking game and very enjoyable.

31. Hena Zuberi

Hena Zuberi

March 30, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Good cricket India but the Green Team had me at the sajdahs !! Congrats India and Indian fans now go back to life :)

March 30, 2011 at 1:33 PM

So we lost… no problem. :) Congratulations, Kanika! I already told you this on Fb but I’ll tell it here again – I’m supporting Sri Lanka in the finals ;) because they visited us for cricket when no one would (and the poor guys got targeted by terrorists too! :( … I’ve always felt sad about that!)

Sad things is… Misbah slumped for some reason and didn’t take the powerplay at the right time… Allahu a’lam… Misbah’s going to get a LOT of flak in Pakistan for this, more than the other players. That’s sad.

Anyhow… it’s just a game! :)

And the good thing about Pakistan losing is that finally, I hope people will realize how stupid and wrong it is to believe parrots, fortunetellers and all other such stuff. Oh yeah, and praying nawafil and Tahajjud, etc. *just* for a match (I know people who did and it’s very common to do this in Pakistan!) and not otherwise – would be good to think about the hypocrisy here!

Kanika Aggarwal

March 30, 2011 at 1:40 PM

because they visited us for cricket when no one would (and the poor guys got targeted by terrorists too! … I’ve always felt sad about that!)

I dont exactly know what happened? Why wasnt anyone else visiting? If it was b/c of fear of terrorists then I dont blame them considering thats what happened to Sri Lankans when they did visit? –> I’d like to know what happened so please explain :)

March 30, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Yeah, that’s exactly what happened, Kanika… it was really sad. No one was visiting because of the terrorism risk and when Sri Lanka still did, they were targeted too. :( I felt horrible about it and glad they didn’t get hurt while some of my own countrymen lay down their lives. May Allah have mercy on them! Ameen.

DiscoMaulvi

March 30, 2011 at 1:44 PM

You got it Ameera!! May Allah guide us….

Tahira

March 30, 2011 at 1:38 PM

victory finallyyy ! thank u ALLAH MIYA u r the greatest and all those who pray for india AND ALSO PAKISTAN who let the spirits soooooo high!

March 30, 2011 at 1:41 PM

My FB status:
    Well, India, what can I say? I congratulate thee. Although, if the tables were turned none of you would congratulate us cos you’re just that arrogant and too far stuck up your own…ahem…anyway, well done. I look forward to the final and supporting my dear Sri Lankans!

I agree with Ameera…the amount of tahajjud, nafls, du’as, etc that have been prayed for this match. And all for what? Pride, glitter, distraction in the dunya? If only all that effort was directed towards the akhirah…

DiscoMaulvi

March 30, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Great performance India…. my heart went out to Afridi for apologizing to his countrymen for the defeat!!

All the best Sri Lanka!!

-Aly
    PS: Kanika please feel free to gloat (till SL owns India on April 2)

Hassan

March 30, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Qadar-Allah, whatever happens to believer is good. Alhamdulillah they are on islam and pray regularly, that would count on day of judgement

sh

March 30, 2011 at 2:16 PM

now THAT is a win.

F

March 30, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Agreed.

March 30, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Definitely!

F

March 30, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Compare that to Bhajji thanking his gazillion gods for the victory (post match interview).

Hassan

March 30, 2011 at 11:31 PM

I was sadened to see Zaheer Khan (Muslim in Indian team) behaving quite inappropiately after he took first wicket of Kamran Akmal.

F

March 31, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Bad behavior is prevalent amongst most sportsmen barring a handful. Not sure why competing hard often leads to crossing the line of inappropriate behavior.

MuslimAmerican

March 31, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Assalam alaikum Hassan & F,

I would not see it as a bad behavior. Being an Indian Muslim, i see that he was screaming ‘Come on’, ‘Come on’ out of joy.

It always happens in sports. It’s but natural.

Allah Knows Best.

Hassan

March 31, 2011 at 8:13 PM

He was clearly using F word

LG

March 30, 2011 at 2:38 PM

India won the Cricket World Cup semifinal. Now time to beat lions to claim that long evading cup.!!! Go India…!!!

Hassan

March 30, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Also those who prayed tahajjud, atleast they know whom to turn to, if Allah did not accept their duas, its still good, as they would see the results some way.

Abu_Isa

March 30, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I agree – Alhumdulillah they prayed. I actually like the fact that they prayed to Allah, even if it was for the worldy cause. As we learn from our sahaba, they used to pray to Allah swt even when their shoe lace would come off.. Allah swt in his infinite wisdom will reward them accordingly.

inshAllah this will make us realize the immense power of Allah and make us among those who will turn to him not only for the worldy matters but for the hereafter as well.

Btw, for those who may not be aware, India has more Muslims than Pakistan.. I am sure many of them prayed for India.. so if your criteria for supporting a team is based on the # of muslims then you know who to support in the finals ;)

F

March 30, 2011 at 11:11 PM

That was true 30 years ago but now Pakistan is number 2 after Indonesia :-)
        As for supporting countries that have Muslim population, so does Israel….so if its okay to support India, it should be okay to support Israel ;-)

Abu_Isa

March 31, 2011 at 11:58 AM

F – Jazakallah khair for correcting my knowledge regarding Muslim Population Stats.

Reg supporting India, I was referring to the total # of muslims as a criteria… Personally, I dont agree to this Philosophy.

SA

March 30, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Sri Lanka you have 170 million Pakistanis rooting for you :).Sorry India can’t forgive you for the defeat.

Now that the semi final is done the match-fixing rumors are out in full force.

Zari

March 31, 2011 at 1:20 AM

Another Muslim Indian who’d prayed for an Indian victory. How easily people forget the number of Muslims in the Indian team and the number of Muslims praying for their victory! Hmmf.

We’ll own Sri Lanka too, insha’allah!

F

March 31, 2011 at 11:51 AM

I don’t necessarily think the result is indicative of the number of prayers for each team. It would more so depend on the skill, hard work, and dedication of the players involved.

Muddassir

March 31, 2011 at 1:11 AM

I am happy that pak lost. This will make them concentrate on the real issues facing their country such as increase in bombings, violence, poverty etc, instead of being under the delusion of grandeur after winning a useless match. Really amazed to see muslims wasting time.

SA

April 1, 2011 at 12:11 AM

I personally think that Pakistanis have a lot on their plate to contend with.Whether it is poverty driven suicides, unemployment, frequent bombings etc.At a time like this bringing a smile to people’s face by simply winning a match is a pretty huge deal!!

Muddassir

April 1, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Well brother have good expectations from Allah(swt) and he will give you something much better than a worthless victory in a cricket match.

April 1, 2011 at 9:56 AM

For some people, this is the only happiness they have in their lives…I know they should concentrate on their own lives and being grateful for everything they have, but sometimes a little halal entertainment can go a very long way.

Brother

March 31, 2011 at 1:11 AM

Whats with that guy (Afridi?) holding a laughing head(not sure who) at the end of the video? Bad taste in US, maybe cultural in Pakistan.

Mohammed Khan

March 31, 2011 at 11:01 AM

It’s amazing how sad and depressed Pakistanis are since yesterday. Imagine if they felt the same sadness for the abandonment of the beautiful religion of Islam by majority of the Muslims of the world! They would become Walis and true friends of Allah if they showed the same amount of grief and sorry for the discarding of the beautiful religion brought to humanity for humanity by the most beloved of Allah.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we showed the same grief for all the Salat that we and our children miss?

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we showed the same sadness for all the commandments of Allah we break?

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we showed the same sorrow for the billions of people who are dying without Iman?

Over a cricket match, we show so much sadness, but on a daily bases, the teachings of Islam and the Sunnats of the Prophet are being disregarded and being mocked at and torn apart and stream rolled, not by non-Muslims, but by we Muslims ourselves, and it doesn’t bother us one bit! It doesn’t make us turn and toss in bed even once. Such total disregard of religion doesn’t make us not enjoy our meal even once. But lo behold, if our team loses, we become so sad to such an extent that we even shed tears over it!

*SIGH*

Mifrah

March 31, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I don’t watch the cricket either but I am really enjoying the hype including the many facebook and twitter status updates.

Anyway, looking forward to the finals now.

Go Sri Lanka!!

It’s our turn -the little Muslim population in Sri Lanka now, to make some big duas for victory! :) :P

Mezba

April 1, 2011 at 3:11 PM

There was actually a big hullabaloo when pakistan played the quarter final in Dhaka and lots of Bangladeshis supported them. While I think most Bangladeshis just wanted to see West Indies knocked out, ESPN also did a report on it and the ties between Bangladesh and Pakistan. In England vs Bangladesh, most Pakistanis were supporting Bangladesh.

April 1, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Oh, we certainly were! :) I remember, I was in a restaurant with my family when the final overs of the match were running… and it was so good to see Bangladesh win! I felt really happy as I thought of the countless Bangladeshi nationals around the world, especially those in blue-collar jobs etc., who’d feel a sense of achievement and pride at having won over England! :) I even imagined them walking with their heads held a little high (not out of arrogance but out of a sense of joy and achievement, Masha’Allah) before their British bosses or peers… :)

F

April 1, 2011 at 5:12 PM

For Pakistan, playing in Dhaka is almost like playing at home because of the crowd support :-)

Brother

April 1, 2011 at 8:27 PM

I’ve said it about soccer, football and others, and now I say it about cricket: Its just a game.

ParDesi

April 2, 2011 at 7:26 AM

Any follow up on Final Ind Vs SL ?

April 2, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Sorry, we’re all either busy watching today… or too turned off from cricket to want to blog anymore. :) As for me, I’m following updates… I’m Pakistani and I’m rooting for Sri Lanka… not particularly because I have anything against India but because I love the Sri Lankans for visiting us when no international team would (terrorism risk)!

ParDesi

April 2, 2011 at 1:25 PM

India Finally won!!!!!!

Way to GOooooooooo!!!!!!

277/4 (48.2) with a final touch of 6.

Hassan

April 2, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Inna lillahi wa innah ilahi rajion.

Why Sarfaraz Ahmed’s Racist Slur Strikes Beyond Cricket

Amad Abu Reem

The Pakistani cricket team, that has been dogged with many off-field problems in the past decades, is now facing an issue that many outside the Indian subcontinent find perplexing—charges of racism, after Sarfaraz Ahmed, the team captain was caught on mic calling a South African player a “kala” (literal translation black).

Some are wondering how racism could even be an issue in a team which has all shades of brown, from very fair to very dark. In fact, racism in the subcontinent is dirty laundry that no one wants to talk about.

For far too long, racism has festered in the brown world (or “desis”—a term that encompasses the people of this region), be it the Indian subcontinent or Arab countries. And thankfully (not for Sarfaraz of course), it has been brought into sharp focus with Sarfaraz’s racial slur caught on mic.

Lets face it, the word “k*^la” is offensive and derogatory, but if you were to ask most desis about this incident, they would tell you that the word “kala” is normal part of the language and completely innocuous. While “k*#a” and other iterations of this word are indeed a commonly used “taunt”, it is nevertheless a taunt and far from innocuous.

The repercussions of a national team captain normalizing racism goes far beyond a joke.

It would not be surprising if Sarfaraz himself does not understand the gravity of the situation, because of the routine use of this word in Pakistan. Many consider it neutral. In fact, cricket fans in Pakistan often refer to the West Indian cricket team as “Kali Aandhi” (Black Storm).  The intention, many would argue, is not to insult but just a factual observation of blackness. But that explanation falls flat, because it is not as if Pakistanis call the Australian team “Chitti Aandhi” (White Storm).

Others would argue that this is just out of habit. So should we just let bad habits fester?

In reality, there is nothing innocuous and innocent about racism among brown people. The British left the Indian subcontinent more than 70 years ago, but not before infusing a white superiority complex among their ex-subjects.

The derogatory capacity of a pejorative word has far reaching consequences. Slurs perpetuate prejudices and cause intolerance and harm.

Let’s look at the negative coloring of this word- no pun intended.

As an example of why this issue extends beyond humor or innocence, ask most desis: what is the number one attribute in brides that parents look for, especially  in arranged marriages? The answer would be “light colored skin”. It is not a secret that most brown people still do not appreciate their children having dark or black spouses. While some of these folks may argue that not marrying into the black race is related to cultural differences, how come it is much more acceptable then to marry into the white race?

One needs to realize that the difficulty of considering darker/black spouses is not borne out of instant prejudice. It stems from a slow and steady indoctrination process that is common among most desis and Arabs. Many times, this process is not out of ill intent. It is not even conscious for the most part. It just happens out of routine behaviors. As an example of this process, mothers will tell their children to stay out of the sun, not because they may be harmed by sun exposure, but they may become “kala”. What is amusing and sad, is that many white people spend countless hours and money to willingly become a little “kala” by resorting to sunbathing or staying locked up in tanning parlors!

Let me speak from personal anguish—a painful personal experience that I have not shared with many others out of embarrassment. Growing up, my family used to visit Pakistan often. While I am not at the darkest end of the “brown spectrum”, I was darker than my cousins. This was enough for me to be routinely subjected to taunts of “k&*a”. Dark was bad was the message I got, as do many young children. I cannot recall if my uncles and aunts participated in this, but I do know they did not admonish their children either. Amusingly enough, I was even called “Indian” as a taunt (this continued well into adulthood too), because in the petty minds of my cousins, Indian was near synonymous to black—it was like two insults packed in one!

While I pretended to shake this off, it bothered me enough to secretly buy a stash of skin-bleaching cream, transfer it to an unlabeled container to avoid embarrassment and use it. I was only 11 or 12 years old! Please tell me how harmless these taunts must be to cause a young child to want to change his skin color that Allah gifted to him?

Recently, playing cricket with some desi friends, I was reminded of those painful times. The same “kala” slurs that you heard from Sarfaraz were targeted at a very dark friend. To make it more palatable, the taunts were packaged in jokes, such as “we need more light, because so-and-so will be in the picture”, or “don’t let your blackness rub off on the ball”, etc.

My dark friend took it with a smile or a laugh. However, I always wondered what was going on inside his mind. I regret that I did not say anything from the very first time I heard it, but being dark myself I felt hesitant to come to his defense. I never participated in the jokes; it would be hypocritical. But I know I could have—because it is like a pecking order, the lighter shades joke about the darker shades, even if the differences in shades are invisible to an outsider.

Eventually, I garnered the strength to advise my good friend (very light-skinned) who was the main source of the comments to lay off and that he may be hurting our friend’s feelings. And while I have no doubt about our fair friend’s good heart, I suspect that similar to those with white privilege, he didn’t even realize the problem with his jokes.

It is not enough to just talk about racism and its cousin colorism, as if it only affects other societies. It is intricately woven in the desi and Arab societies. It gets passed down from generation to generation, like an inherited disease.

It is time for a change among our societies. The Muslims among desis and Arabs need to pay heed to their own Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him), who forbade racism of any kind. What culture is more important than the Islamic culture of an egalitarian society, where race and color have no impact on position or influence or the opportunities for success?

It is time for all brown people, Muslim or not, to purge the scourge of racism, not just from our tongues, but our hearts. Stop telling your children to avoid sunlight to avoid becoming dark. Stop using the word “k*&a” at your homes in ANY context of someone’s skin color. Stop telling your family the color of your newborn child is congratulatory if white or a commiseration if dark. Stop your children’s friends or cousins from making any negative comments (in jest or otherwise) with respect to anyone’s complexion- this is a form of unacceptable bullying. Raise children who feel completely comfortable and beautiful in their complexion, no matter the shade.

Because black and white are both beautiful.

. هُوَ اللَّهُ الْخَالِقُ الْبَارِئُ الْمُصَوِّرُ لَهُ الْأَسْمَاءُ الْحُسْنَىٰ يُسَبِّحُ لَهُ مَا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَهُوَ الْعَزِيزُ الْحَكِيمُ

He is Allah, the Creator, the Inventor of all things, the Bestower of forms. To Him belong the Best Names . All that is in the heavens and the earth glorify Him. And He is the All-Mighty, the All-Wise. (Surah Al-Hashr 59:24)

A Shade Less | Not Fair and Lovely

Between a Rock and a Hard Place- Black and Muslim

#Culture

Iftar and The NBA Finals: Lebron vs Steph Episode 1

Ammar Al Shukry

hijab

All praise is due to Allah and may the most perfect salutations be upon His messenger.

Today is a day that many people have been waiting for for the better part of a year. Today my friends, starts the NBA finals. From the beginning of the year, everyone knew that it was going to be Cleveland Cavaliers and the Golden State Warriors. It was just a matter of time. People’s imaginations are captured by the idea of two teams meeting for the third time in three straight years, each one having one in the past two, and now this may be the deciding one; the competition being at an all time high, all of the tables are stacked, both teams healthy and loaded to the teeth, the competition is at an all time high.

It is enough to almost make one forget that they are in a competition themselves.

A real one. You see, we’re in the playoffs right now. Ramadan IS our high stakes. Every day we should be pushing ourselves to do what these players have now taken as a mantra “we’re just trying to get better each day.”

And the reality is there is a place for competition in the religion.

In fact regarding Jannah Allah says,

“وَفِي ذَٰلِكَ فَلْيَتَنَافَسِ الْمُتَنَافِسُونَ

So for this let the competitors compete. (Surat Al-Mutaffifeen v. 26)

The competition of the prophets

Bukhari and Muslim both report that when the Prophet (ﷺ) ascended into the heavens on the night of Mi’raj he met Musa and the following conversation occurred,

“When I went (over the sixth heaven), there I saw Moses. Gabriel said (to me),’ This is Moses; pay him your greeting. So I greeted him and he returned the greetings to me and said, ‘You are welcomed, O pious brother and pious Prophet.’ When I left him (i.e. Moses) he wept. Someone asked him, ‘What makes you weep?’ Moses said, ‘I weep because after me there has been sent (as Prophet) a young man whose followers will enter Paradise in greater numbers than my followers.'”

And the prophet (ﷺ) said as reported by Al-Nasa’i, Abu Dawood and Ahmed among others,

“Have many children for I will boast your great numbers over the other nations on the day of Judgment.”

The competition of the companions amongst each other

One of the most striking examples of the competition of the companions in goodness was the complaint that was presented by the poor companions about the rich companions to the prophet (ﷺ). And I don’t know any other complaint that the poor ever made about the rich that was *about* their richness.

AlBukhari and Muslim both report that

Some of the poor Emigrants came to Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) and said to him, “The wealthy have obtained all high ranks and everlasting bliss.” He asked, “How is that?” They replied: “They offer Salat as we do, and observe Saum (fasting) as we do, but they give in Sadaqah (charity) and we do not, and they emancipate slaves and we cannot.” He (ﷺ) said, “Shall I not teach you something whereby you will catch up with those who have preceded you and will get ahead of those who follow you, and no one will surpass you unless he does the same as you do?” They said, “Surely, O Messenger of Allah.” He said, “Say: Subhan Allah, and Allahu Akbar, and praise Him (by saying Al-hamdu lillah) thirty-three times at the end of every Salat.” They returned to him and said: “Our brothers, the possessors of wealth, having heard what we are doing, have started doing the same.” Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, “This is Grace of Allah which He gives to whom He wishes.”

And so the poor’s complaint is actually an incredible one, their complaint is not about any of the additional worldly access that the rich may experience because of their wealth, but what they feared was a spiritual access that they may have to their exclusion because of their wealth. They wanted every opportunity to be able to compete with them in giving charity. And that is an incredible testimony to the culture of the companions.

The competition of the prophet (ﷺ) and companions with previous nations

In fact, the very gift of the Night of Power (Lailatul Qadr) was a direct related to the prophet (ﷺ) and companions wanting to compete with previous nations:

In the Muwatta of Imam Malik we find:

Ziyad related to me from Malik that he had heard a man he trusted of the people of knowledge say, “The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, was shown the lifespans of the people (who had gone) before him, or what Allah willed of that, and it was as if the lives of the people of his community had become too short for them to be able to do as many good actions as others before them had been able to do with their long lives, so Allah gave him Laylat al- Qadr, which is better than a thousand months.”

And Imam AlQurtubi reports in his tafseer that there was a King from Bani Israel who would go out and fight in the path of Allah daily with his wealth and sons, all while fasting during the days and praying during the nights. He did this continuously for a thousand months until he was killed. The companions upon hearing this said,

“No one can reach the station of this man.” And so Allah revealed, “Laylatul Qadr is better than a thousand months.”

The competition of the successors

The successors were that generation that came immediately after the companions. They saw the companions but did not see the prophet (S). Abu Muslim Al-Khawalani was of them and once was praying in the night. As he was praying he was overtaken by sleepiness but instead of succumbing he struck his thigh to wake himself and said,

أيظن أصحاب محمد أن يستأثروا به دوننا ، كلا والله ! لنزاحمنهم عليه زحاماً حتى يعلموا أنهم قد خلَّفوا وراءهم رجالاً

Do the companions of Muhammad think that they will have him exclusively (again), no by Allah. We will crowd them over him (on the day of Judgment) so that they know that the ones who came after them were men!

And this is an amazing notion, to feel that you are not only in competition with your own generation, but even the previous ones, in fact even the companions in a sense. For paradise is up for grabs, as is Al-Firdaws, as is the company of the prophet (S) in Paradise.

The competition is on. The activities are many; recitation of the Quran, prayer, du’a, feeding others, charity and repentance. The stakes are high. And victory in it is the ultimate triumph.

فَمَن زُحْزِحَ عَنِ النَّارِ وَأُدْخِلَ الْجَنَّةَ فَقَدْ فَازَ ۗ وَمَا الْحَيَاةُ الدُّنْيَا إِلَّا مَتَاعُ الْغُرُورِ

So he who is drawn away from the Fire and admitted to Paradise is indeed Victorious. And what is the life of this world except the enjoyment of delusion. (Al-Imran v. 185)

Aaron Hernandez’s Death And The Responsibility of Sports Fans

By

By Abu O’baydah b. Ali

Many people will look at the passing of AaronHernandez, former New England Patriots tight end, and say look “someone who had it all, money, fame, women, super human talent on the football field and he just threw it away.” But let’s follow the trend in pop culture and take a moment to look at our part in his passing (yes, we do play a part)…

Hernandez’s dad died from complications of surgery in 2006 when Aaron was just 16 years old. According to Hernandez’s mother this when he started acting out against authority. In 2007, at the age of 17, while on a recruiting trip to Florida (where he would eventually play college football and win a National Title) he consumed two alcoholic drinks at a restaurant, refused to pay, was escorted out of the restaurant by an employee and subsequently punched the employee in the head rupturing his eardrum. No charges were ever filed against Hernandez and the University of Florida was more than happy to have him still come and play for them. During college, Hernandez was believed to be involved in a shooting that left three people injured; he failed multiple drug tests and was a known and admitted marijuana user. The repercussions for his actions? He led the Gators to a national championship, was first team all SEC and first team all American and received the John Mackey award for the best tight end in college football. And even though his draft stock dropped when news of his marijuana use leaked, he was still selected by the best team in the NFL.

The message the world was sending Aaron Hernandez time and time again was that so long as you produce on the football field, so long as you keep winning, so long as you keep making our team money, you can do whatever you want off of it. Did anyone ever think that this was a troubled individual and that he needed help? Why would they? He was always a stud on the field which must have meant that everything off the field was ok. That’s why the NFL and NBA and every other sports league for that matter have no desire to speak about or touch upon anything not sports related. Just look at what the NFL has done with the issues of domestic violence, concussions and Colin Kaepernick. And as fans that’s what we’re sold and that’s what we eat up and love. We’re taught to care about our favorite teams and players and nothing more. We don’t care if our teams players are accused of rape, murder, lying, cheating or stealing. So long as they bring us the great satisfaction of seeing our team win, then that’s all we really care about.

Is this what Islam is about? Would our Messenger ﷺ look at us supporting these teams and these organizations as something trivial? Or would it be something that he truly detests? Could he (peace be upon him) watch a video of a woman being brutally beaten in an elevator and then go on to support the organization that tried to cover that up? Could heﷺ hear about an activity that was causing massive brain damage to those involved in it and then go on to support the organization that tried to cover that up? Could heﷺ hear about an individual who stood up and spoke out against oppression and then go on to support the organization that tried to silence him and shut him up? And while we agree that Aaron Hernandez committing murder is nothing short of despicable and abhorrent, could the Prophetﷺ hear about a troubled individual who time and time again acted out and was screaming for help, yet his screams were ignored by everyone because he was just too good at his craft, and being too good at your craft means that you should be grateful and thankful and suck it all up. Could the Prophetﷺ look at such an individual and feel sorry for him because he had all the fame and fortune and still decided to throw it away? Or would the Prophetﷺ feel sorry for those who couldn’t see or didn’t want to see past the fame and fortune to help someone who was obviously troubled?

As a sports fan you’re probably saying to yourself that this man had millions and it’s not my fault that he did what he did. And as a Muslim, I’m saying to you that the fact that we all support this kind of behavior when we should know better means we are just a little to blame. Indeed, Allah will not change the condition of a people until they change what is in themselves.

Abu O’baydah b. Ali is a certified CrossFit trainer, and the president of the innovative charity org: Muslims Giving Back. He is also a doctor of pharmacy, and enjoys long walks on the beach and long car rides with older wiser men.