It is with a heavy heart that we convey to you news of the passing away of a renowned and much-loved scholar of the Ummah, Dr Israr Ahmed, aged 77 on Tuesday night in Lahore, Pakistan. Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raaji'oon!

The news of his demise was greeted with shock and sadness, especially in Pakistan, where Dr Israr was primarily based. His untiring efforts to convey and make clear the message of the Qur'an in the society earned him respect and love in the hearts of those who listened to him. Copies of his discussion of the Qur'an “Bayan-ul-Qur'an” are widely circulated and appreciated for the direct and active manner in which Dr Israr explains the Word of Allah(swt). Large numbers gathered to listen to his Friday khutbahs and public talks, both nationally and on international trips.

Initially graduating as a medical doctor from the Kind Edward Medical College, Lahore in 1954, Dr Israr eventually switched his “career” to full-devotion towards learning and disseminating the message of the Qur'an. Such was his deep love for the Word of Allah(swt) that he campaigned, on all levels, for a return to the pure understanding of the Qur'an, directly from the Arabic text, and thereby to increase in Taqwa (piety) and closeness to Allah(swt).

He strongly felt a positive change could only be brought about in the society through an “Islamic renaissance” where individuals were acutely aware of being accountable to Allah(swt) through a deep understanding of His Book and His Messenger(saw)'s Sunnah. Towards this end, he founded the Markazi Anjuman Khuddam ul-Qur'an, a “literary society” in service of the Qur'an, in 1971 and later, the Tanzeem-e-Islami in 1975. It was from this platform that many of his written works on the Qur'an and Muslim society were published, as well as audio and video lectures on a range of topics. The influences that shaped Dr Israr's views were many, ranging from the works of Dr Muhammad Iqbal (also known as Allama Iqbal) to the revolutionary and reform philosophies of Abul Kalam Azad and Syed Abu Ala Maududi, although these were selective and conditional.

He authored over sixty books, nine of which were also translated into English and other languages. Recordings of his audio and video lectures are routinely aired on several Islamic TV channels, including PeaceTV Urdu. His views on Islam, current affairs, philosophy and societal issues were frequently sought on television programs. However, his ailing health had forced him to curtail his travels, both nationally as well as internationally, and activities for the Tanzeem-e-Islami. Nonetheless, Dr Israr remained devoted to Allah(swt)'s cause to his last day. May Allah(swt) purify him of his sins, overlook his shortcomings, elevate his ranks and admit him into Jannat-ul-Firdaws! ameen. May Allah(swt) raise from amongst us scholars of the like of Dr Israr and elevate us in Taqwa (Allah-consciousness) and Amal (practice) through the knowledge and Hikmah that they convey to us! ameen.

Funeral prayers: salah-ul-Janazah will be offered for Dr Israr after Asar salah today (Wednesday) at Central Park, Model Town, Lahore, Pakistan.

67 Responses

1. Abdulrab Qureshi

Surely we are Allah’s and to Him we shall surely return.

“And those who are careful of (their duty to) their Lord shall be conveyed to the garden in companies; until when they come to it, and its doors shall be opened, and the keepers of it shall say to them: Peace be on you, you shall be happy; therefore enter it to abide, And they shall say: (All) praise is due to Allah, Who has made good to us His promise, and He has made us inherit the land; we may abide in the garden where we please; so goodly is the reward of the workers. And you shall see the angels going round about the throne glorifying the praise of their Lord; and judgment shall be given between them with justice, and it shall be said: All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of the worlds. ”
    The above are the verses from surah Zumar 73-75. The words of the people of Jannah when they enter Jannah and while seating togeather with angels will be “Alhamdulillah” and look the last sermon delivered by Dr. Israr Ahmed was about “Alhamdulillahi Rabbil Alameen”. May Allah Tabarak wa taala grant him the high place in Jannat-ul-Firdous (AAMIN).
    Bade Ghour se sun raha tha zamana
    Hum hi sogayee dastaan kehte kehte.

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

• Ameera Khan

Ameen!

Yes, indeed, his last talk that’s available online was recorded on 9th April, a mere 5 days ago. May Allah(Swt) accept it and all his previous good deeds from him! Ameen!

2. Bilal Saeed

May Allah subhana wa talla have mercy on him.

A great scholar of islam. I grew up watching him and always was so impressedin the manner he gave his talks and lectures. May Allah subhana wa talla reward him for his good deeds and grant him a high place in paradise.

3. Amatullah

inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji’oon. We’ve lost another gem. May Allah ta’ala forgive him, envelop him in His Mercy, raise him with the people of the Qur’an, accept his deeds and enter him into Firdaws al ‘Alaa. Ameen.

4. Mohammad Anwar Khan LEEDS UK

nna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji’oon> Islamic world and Pakistan lost a great dathi of Islam. May ALLAH bless him and give him Janna.We will miss him.

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

5. Yasir Qadhi

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji`oon… may Allah have mercy on his soul and raise his ranks in Jannah!

I had the great fortune of meeting Dr. Israr a few times, and he also visited my parent’s house in Houston. Of course, there are theological and methodological disagreements that I had with the movement, but there is no denying his positive effects and work in spreading the message and meanings of the Quran. A lifetime of scholarship and dedication in order to teach the Quran is truly something to be jealous of.

His eloquence and command of the Urdu language were simply unparalleled. He was the *only* orator whom I enjoyed listening to in Urdu.

Another legacy comes to a worldly end…

Yasir

• The Micro Geek

Salaams Brother Yasir,
      I am sad to hear that our beloved scholar leave us, not because I don’t believe in the Qadr or Allah, but because I know time is cutting close, when our scholars leave.

I hope I am not out of line by asking you a question @ this junction, but when you say you have theological and methodological disagreements with the movement, is there any way you’ve dealt with this in one of your speeches? or could you brief us on them?

BTW, I saw you for the 1st time in MD, two weeks ago @ Jummah!

best,
      The Micro Geek!

• Uncle Tom

really not the time for this bro…I’m surprised as to why Br. Yasir had to even bring it up.

• Faiza

^^Me too!

…and India. People in India absolutely love Dr. Israr Ahmed for what his lectures have done to them and their dargah going parents!

When he visited India in Dec 2004, I remember, people thronging to the triangular maidan in Mumbai from as far as Pune to attend his lectures. And the 7-10 pm timings did not even deter the women from coming. The ground was just full of women coming from the far suburbs only to listen to their beloved ‘Maulana’ live. And I remember interacting with these women. Many were illiterates and their only connection with the Qur’an was Dr. Israr’s duroos.

May Allah(swt) purify him of his sins, overlook his shortcomings, elevate his ranks and admit him into Jannat-ul-Firdaws! Ameen. May Allah(swt) raise from amongst us scholars of the like of Dr Israr and elevate us in Taqwa (Allah-consciousness) and Amal (practice) through the knowledge and Hikmah that they convey to us! Ameen.

Aameen.

• Ameera

Oh yes, I am sure he must be greatly missed in India too, by those who had the opportunity to meet him or hear him speak. I remember he had such high words of praise for the warm reception accorded to him India in 2004. He had been invited by Dr Zakir Naik and his organization and Dr Israr highly praised the good work being done by those Indian Muslims who were striving to stick to the truth and authentic sources of Islam!

• Nadeem Ramjan

Assalamualaykum,

If Shaykh Yasir Qadhi didn’t say something, some people would have complained that he needs to draw a line to differentiate himself. Now that he did, people will say, oh why did he have to say that. Now I can see why sometimes its a no win scenario for our leaders.

May Allah (swt) keep them steadfast and grant us wisdom.

• A Saeed

I have listened to your lectures so I am sad to say that your condolences sound canned, especially when you state about differences with one of the biggest scholars of Islam at the article that talks of Islam.

This is the great tragedy of Islam – that we mention differences at every juncture, even the dayiahs!!!

• A Saeed

My earlier post was in response to Yasir Qadhi’s posting.

6. amad

inna lillahi wa inna alehi rajioon. I don’t think I know of any Pakistani who didn’t know of Dr. Israr. And I think I met many who were influenced by him at some level, EVEN if they disagreed on ideology. In terms of religious influence, there are few Pakistani scholars who are ahead of him. May Allah reward him with jannatulfirdus.

7. UmmOsman

Assalamo elikuim

inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji’oon- May Allah swt bless him with Jannat ul Firdous, Ameen.
    His lectures were always very interesting and informative (sometimes with Allama Iqbal poetry in them) My husband is a big fan of him .

8. MR

SubhanAllah. Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajoon. May Allah grant him the highest jannah and a spot near the Prophet (s).

9. suhail

Inna lillahi wa inna ilyhe rajioon. May Allah grant him Al-Firdaus. He was also one of the biggest champion of Shariah in Pakistan. May Allah reward him for all his effort.

His urdu speeches and his tafseer of quran was very very nice and heart touching.

10. umm ibrahim

may Allah grant him jannatul firdaus and place with the Maleek Al-Muqtadir ameen.

11. Mansoor

Death of a Alim, is described as Death of a ALAM, meaning the world. It is a big loss to the Umma. WE should learn the positve guidance that his lecturs brought and pray for his forgiveness. Ameen.

12. Muhammad Awais Tahir

اللهم اغفر له وارحمه، وعافه واعْفُ عنه، وأكرم نزله، ووسع مدخله، واغسله بالماء والثلج والبَرَد، ونَقِّهِ من الخطايا كما يُنَقَّى الثوب الأبيض من الدَّنَس، وأبدله دارا خيرا من داره، وأهلا خيرا من أهله، وأدخله الجنة، وقِهِ من فتنة القبر وعذاب القبر

• farooq gilani

Ameen.
      Yes this the best dua taught by Our beloved Hazrat Mohammad S.A.W. May Allah help us to contribute our efforts up to max to fulfill his mission, Because this mission is assigned by Allah S.W.T to every muslim.

13. Umm Bilqis

To Allah we belong and to Him we return.
    Inna lilla wa inna illahi rajoon.
    I Pray that All Muslims and myself Primarily can be as dedicated to my beloved Allah ta’allah and His religion.
    May the Revival of my Beloved Islam go forth.
    La Hawla wa la Quwatta illa billLLAH.
    There is No Strength and No Power Except Allah’s!

14. Sayf

Inna Lillahi wa inna ilahi rajioon.
    I don’t understand urdu so I haven’t heard his lectures, but I have seen him a lot. As a kid I do remember a bit of one lecture though when he was bashing Bollywood – that made him my hero.

• Anonymous

He has many English lectures online, search for it, I think you’ll really enjoy them.

15. mystrugglewithin

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji`oon – May Allah swt forgive him and bless him with Janat-ul-firdous.

Subhanallah, I am not sure but his departure weakened me temporarily so much that I almost forgot that I am standing in a salah ba’jama’at.

We see scholars who abstain from discussing politics, and governmental affairs in general. And we know of leaders who abstain from following Islamic obligations when it comes to solving Pakistan’s problems. But he was strong and straight to the point in many of these affairs – his explications were intuitive as well as insightful.

We must not despair Allah swt’s mercy, but this is the first time in years that I am having this feeling of hopelessness pertaining to the prevalent conditions in Pakistan.. May Allah forgive us for what we’ve done to ourselves.

16. UQAABIROOH

AALIM KI MOUT…PUURY “AALAM”KI MOUT HY!
    HMARA MEDIA SHOAB SANIA KI SHADI KI CVRG TO KITNI DKHATA HY…R 1 AALIM K SATH YE SULOOK…K USKO KOI AHMIAT E NAI D GAI!
    UMMAT WAQAE MARR GAI HY.
    ALLAH ISE 2BARA ZINDA KRY.AMEEN.

• Qas

I’ll translate the above for you all:

Truly, the death of an Aalim is like the death of the world.
      While the Pakistani media is interested in Shoaib Malik and Sania saga, they have paid little attention to the Aalim. They have given him no importance. The ummah there has certainly died. May Allah bring forth someone greater than Dr. Israr Ahmed, ameen.

17. MY

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajoon. May Allah raise him in the company of RasullAllah PBUH

18. MY

‘Abdullah b. ‘Amr b. al-’As reported Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: Verily, Allah does not take away knowledge by snatching it from the people but He takes away knowledge by taking away the scholars, so that when He leaves no learned person, people turn to ignorant as their leaders; then they are asked to deliver religious verdicts and they deliver them without knowledge, they go astray, and lead others astray.

Sahih Muslim – Book 034 (Book of Knowledge), Hadith Number 6462:

19. Abu Rayyan

May Allah accept Dr. Israr into the highest ranks of Jannah and may He (swt) shower His blessings on him and raise more scholars from whom the Ummah can benefit

Indeed, the death of a scholar is a major calamity for the Ummah. Although I myself was not very familiar with Dr. Israr (rahimahullah) and his work, I know of many people who were guided to Allah’s Book through the dawah activities of Dr. Israr. Whatever differences we may have with his approach for reform, his work in serving the Quran and teaching the masses is a huge feat and I ask Allah (swt) to grant him Al-Firdaws for that. Ameen.

20. AgaArham rathore

Kullu nafsun zaika tul maut ( Every soul shall taste death) There at many aalims but he was extraodinary one with strong determination& courage to speak truth indeed death of Dr Israr is a great loss to muslim ummah . Still we can fullfill this loss buy taking cue from his life style & devition towards the word of ALLAH we should try to make ourselves like him by prioritising the islam first in our lives . Dr sahib was a great personality and worked very very hard in conveying the truth of islam in a very distinctive manner his works are examples for muslims to wake up & be courageous to spread the message of islam the religion of peace .There is still time for us to repair the loss . May Allah swt bless him with Jannat ul Firdous,& help us to follow siratul mustaeem Ameen

21. Bushra

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon…

When I informed my parents of this sad news, they were in complete and utter shock as they used to attend his lectures at Regent’s Park Mosque in Central London. Alhumdulillah, they benefited a lot from the ‘Al Kauthar/Al Maghrib’ of their time.

May Allah(swt) grant him the highest ranks of Jannatul Firdaus!

22. tsolluos

“He strongly felt a positive change could only be brought about in the society through an “Islamic
    deep understanding of His Book and His Messenger(saw)’s Sunnah.

Towards this end, he founded the Markazi Anjuman Khuddam ul-Qur’an, a “literary society” in
    service of the Qur’an..”

———————————————————-

It is indeed a tragic loss for the people of Pakistan. However, I am irked that your news report makes no mention of “Iqamat-e-Deen” but rather “Islamic Renaissance”. I hope this is not intentional because there is a world of difference between the two. They are not one and the same. The philosophy of Iqamat-e-Deen (Establishing Islam as a way of life) is the lasting legacy of Dr. Israr Ahmed. It is what, in fact, distinguishes him from the many scholars we have in the Islamic world today. Although it’s not a new concept but the way he revitalized it after the formation of Pakistan in a Pakistani context, detailed it through his written and oral work and made it understandable to the masses is what is considered to be his crowning achievement.

His goal was not JUST to make the Pakistani society god-fearing and to instill a “deep understanding” of the Qur’an and the Sunnah in the people. That was only a prerequisite to his goal! He wished to establish Islam as a complete way of life in Pakistan, to elevate Pakistan from a dysfunctional feudal democracy to a true Islamic state. His efforts in the propagation of the Quranic message were a means towards THIS end. In short, a comprehensive socio-politico-economic revolution through the Qur’an using the methodology of the Prophet as the instruction manual.

To simply describe his life’s work as an attempt to induce “positive change” in society only portrays HALF the efforts of this great man. Your news report would be complete only if you mention the other half. That is the creation of Tanzeem-e-Islami whose stated goal is the establishment of an Islamic state in Pakistan.

I don’t intend to be harsh or demeaning to anyone. I feel like I have lost a member of my family. Although my words may seem so but I feel that it is crucial to see his travails in the right context.

Fortunately, his unwritten and written work is very well-documented and he leaves behind a highly-organized, mature and active organization that is prepared and equipped to take his work forward.

He was truly one of a kind, a giant among men.

May Allah grant him Jannatul Firdaus.

Ameen.

• Ameera

JazakAllah for pointing this out. For the purpose of brevity and because of the sensitivity of the occasion on which I had to write this about Dr Israr, I could not elaborate on his ideology. I agree, what you have quoted was indeed his ideology and this is why, if you notice, I linked Dr Israr’s name in he article directly to the bio Tanzeem.org provides on him. This way, I hoped, people could find out more about him directly from the source.

I highly respect Dr Israr and have always listened to his talks as a humble student. I also attended Eid prayers this past year, for the first time, in the very nicely setup Qur’an Academy women’s section in Karachi. So I have the highest regard for him.

May Allah accept his good deeds and purify him of his sins! Ameen.

23. IbnAbbas

Indeed, the ummah has lost one of the giant, brave and an intelligent scholars of Islam. Another big sign of the hopelessness of the state of Pakistan.

May Allah forgive his shortcomings, elevate his status and enter him into jannatul firdaus. Ameen.

24. Dr Muhammad Saleem Anwar

Dr Israr has been an inspiration for many Muslims. He led a very simple life. He was a man with mission of spreading the message of Quran to the masses. He did his best to achieve this. May Allaah reward him and bless him with eternal bliss, aameen.

You can check how simple life style he had all along despite having many avenues to make millions on this presentation in urdu.

25. Saimah

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon – Indeed to Allah (swt) we belong, and to Him we return.

Dr Israr Ahmed was the first scholar I ever heard as a kid. Although I never really understood what he said at that time, listening to him now really makes you think about how relevant and true his words and advice were.

May Allah (swt) forgive him of his shortcomings, grant him entrance into the highest levels of Jannah and make his dawah work a form of sadqah jariyaah for him. Ameen.

26. Nouman Ali Khan

The news of his passing sank my heart. I am forever indebted to him like countless others for not only teaching Allah’s book but instilling a burning insatiable love for serving its message. He leaves a gaping void that won’t easily be filled. The last two days I’ve been overwhelmed thinking about how I have fallen so unbelievably short of honoring his legacy. I was blessed to interact with him directly, learn from him personally if only in brief and had just finished listening to one of his duroos an hour before I got the news. My own journey into Qur’anic studies began with one of his students and is still informed by his profound analysis and deep insight. I may not have agreed with all of his ideas, but that in no way diminish in my heart the utmost love, respect and admiration I have for him. His legacy will live on through his students. Oh Allah, accept him into your paradise and reward him infinitely as he tried to live a tireless life of learning the Qur’an and teaching it.

27. Abu 'Ubaidah

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raaji’oon!

Ameen to all duas.

28. uzma

i m reading quran and tafseer which is on site islam.lslamabad.net\quran
    by dr.israr now heard this news i pray to allah subhanutallah to raise dr.israr to jannah fidous and protect him from any tribulation of grave and hell fire make him rest in utter peace.may allah grant him company of prophets and righteous beings.make us understand quran better make us muslim.ameen ya rabulalamen.

29. DawahIT

Assalamu alaikum,

SubhanAllahd, I have benefitted greatly from Sh. Israr’s lectures. It was so great to listen to a sheikh from Pakistan in English who was speaking the truth. I loved his lectures on Khilafah and nifaaq.

My Allah grant him Janatul Firdus and make him a neighbor of the Prophet, salalahu alayhi wa salam.

30. Ubaid ur Rehman

He was great scholar of Pakistan who respected all school of thoughs. His Quran Acamdemy in Pakistan is doing great work. Teaching Arabic language and Quran for free. His Tafsir of Quran is one of best.

31. Brother

Inna lilahi wa ina ilayhi rajayoon. May Allah forgive Dr. Israr and grant him paradise.

I also sincerely hope that the people of Pakistan don’t do what Dr. Israr would hate. And that is where they turn his grave into a mazaar and people come to pray to him or ask him for stuff. Unfortunately people there have a tendency to fall into this kind of shirk. Peace.

• Ubaid ur Rehman

As Salam Elekum,

I think that would not happen. Those people called him a Wahabi who involved in things like this. The people influenced by him are educated they will not get involve in things like that. Also his grave is normal not mazar just like of Maulana Muadudi.

32. Mohammad Saleem

Allah know better, he worked a lot to explain about Islam to the max. Insha Allah may grant him a janna in a highest grade. Ameen

Mohammad Saleem (Bahrain)

33. Nadeem Ramjan

Dr. Israr was one of the first scholars whose work I became addicted to. After years, he still stands as one of the most dedicated servants of the Deen I’ve come across. He has instilled in me an unrelenting thirst to study the Deen and preach it. His lectures on Quran are still amazing to listen to and there are few that can match his ability to correlate ayaat from different parts of the Quran. Anytime I recite certain ayaat I can’t help but remember the tafsir he has given and the strong way he spoke about Quran.

And although I never met him, I will not forget him. I see in the eyes of those who did meet him the burning love and high respect they have for him.

I ask Allah (swt) to reward him for all the works he did. I ask Allah to forgive any shortcomings he made in this world. And I ask Allah to grant him jannatul-firdaus.

34. Nafees

انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

A true giant of the Muslim world has left us. A scholar who in today’s age at least not only had the ability to communicate great knowledge and insight but led a life without ostentation and artifice. Scholars like Dr. Israr Ahmed didn’t learn knowledge for its own sake but to effect a positive and practical change in themselves and their environment.

May Allah Forgive him and Grant him the highest levels of Jannah.

An urdu programme on his daily routine:

35. shafiq Rahman Solangi

إنا لله وإنا إليه راجعون

36. rashid javed

Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilayhi Raaji’oon … Allah Tala say doaa hai Dr.Israr Ahmed Sahab kay gunaaho ko moaaf farmeen, un kee tamam naik koshisho ko qabool farmaaen, aur janat-ul-fidus main aalaa moqaam ataa farmaaein. (aameen)

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 1

37. nadeem ahmed channa

may Allah bless him some place in jana-tul-firdos

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 1