*Please see the action alert at the bottom and do not rest until you have done your part!
When I read this news, I felt numb and helpless. Then I felt angry and now I feel that this is just another fitna from Allāh for a man who has been subjected to trial after trial. Allāh must have something special indeed for this man in the akhira, may Allāh forgive him and reward him.
Just a few months ago, I met the man, Shaykh Ibrahim Dremali in Arlington, Texas. A man who could barely walk and open his eyes. A man who despite his sickness held a firm belief in His Lord and asked help of no one except Him.
And now this man has been arrested in a fashion usually only reserved for murderers and armed robbers. Sh. Dremali and his wife's (Safaa Rashad Eissa) home was stormed by agents belonging to three different agencies! And what were the charges? That there was some fraud in the immigration/naturalization process! That his marriage to sister Safaa is a sham, the sister who he is living in Arlington, Texas with and has three children with! I would like to ask everyone to just think about it. Even if it was a sham, would authorities have taken such draconian actions with any other “average” person in America? Is it not obvious that this is associated with the continued harassment and injustices against our scholars?
What is more tragic and more saddening is that Sh. Ibrahim Dremali needs to stay put, to continue to receive his treatment, because he still has a long way to go before his health recovers. And if God forbid, Allāh has not written recovery for him, may Allāh protect him, then he is needed by his family right now and should NOT be wasting time, energy and money in sham criminal cases. What kind of shameless and heartless human beings would subject this man to this FURTHER horror?
CAIR Iowa has issued an action alert. It reminds people of why the imām is special, and that America NEEDS imams like Dremali, someone who has engaged in interfaith dialog, someone who has furthered the cause of peace, and someone who has been teaching the Muslims the correct understanding against extremism and terrorism.
Sh. Dremali is known to Senator Harkin. Harkin has appeared with him and supported his work in the past. So, it's time for Senator Harkin to do the right thing and help stop this madness. Sh. Dremali is NOT in a condition to travel on a sham charge. PLEASE CALL HARKIN'S OFFICE TODAY!
CONDUCT OF CALLER:
Council on American-Islamic Relations Iowa Chapter (CAIR-IA) URGENT APPEAL TO IOWA MUSLIMS:
Imām IBRAHIM DREMALI ARRESTED. PLEASE CALL SENATOR HARKIN'S OFFICE IMMEDIATELY
Many of you may remember imām Ibrahim Dremali who served as the imām at the Islamic Center in Des Moines for many years before moving to Texas to take a teaching job. Many of you also may know that imām Dremali has been battling cancer for the the past few years.
Recently, imām Dremali completed his chemo, but is now in critical need of a liver transplant. His health is failing quickly; therefore, imām Dremali cannot travel even a few blocks to make ṣalāh at the mosque where he lives in Arlington, Texas.
Last week, imām Dremali was arrested by US Marshals and Immigration authorities who stormed his home. The charge? That his marriage to Sister Safah is a sham!!!
As a result of this arrest, imām Dremali has been ordered to appear in Des Moines at Federal Court on October 20 DESPITE HIS CRITICAL HEALTH. Traveling such a distance will surely endanger him, if not speed his death!
Please CALL SENATOR HARKIN'S OFFICE TODAY AND ASK FOR HIS HELP TO STOP THE ORDERED APPEARANCE IN DES MOINES ON OCTOBER 20TH and HAVE THE CHARGES DROPPED!!!
* imām Dremali's health is critical and traveling such a distance will surely cause his condition to worsen.
* The charges against imām Dremali and Safah are ridiculous! They have been married for years and have 3 children together.
* These ludicrous charges are absolutely the by-product of a vindictive grudge against imām Dremali and Safah, and will surely find no basis in fact.
* imām Dremali has been a vital source of interfaith relations and outreach in the Muslim community throughout the US, and has worked tirelessly against terrorism, extremism, and Islamophobia, building a solid foundation of friendship, caring, and cooperation between the major US religious groups, politicians, and civic communities.
* imām Dremali is only one of a small handful of people who hold Ph.D.s in the US in Islamic Jurisprudence, and is therefore a vital resource for the US in interfaith, national, and international relations.
* Media and others accuse moderate Muslims of not speaking out or acting against terrorism or extremism. Imām Dremali did speak out–this heinous treatment is despite his activism.
* imām Dremali's arrest and persecution teaches a negative lesson for moderate Muslims that will keep them from speaking out against extremists or acts of terror committed in the Name of Islam.
Senator Harkin has appeared with and supported imām Dremali in many events and endeavors, and on occasion voiced his appreciation of the work imām Ibrahim Dremali has made his life's work. We ask that Senator Harkin intercede IMMEDIATELY to stop this miscarriage of justice, and the possible death sentence for imām Dremali.