MuslimKidsMatters

MuslimKidsMatter | Interview with Husna from Arabic with Husna Series

This summer I had the opportunity to meet Husna, eldest daughter of Ustadh Nouman Ali Khan.  Students all around the world, including my siblings and I, have learned a lot of Arabic grammar through watching and participating in the Arabic with Husna series on BayyinahTV.  This series has made such a huge impact on thousands of students worldwide that I was eager to hear Husna’s perspective on the classes.  The shy, yet confident 11-year-old had many inspiring things to say when I interviewed her.

Husna has been studying Arabic with her father informally ever since she was five.  He taught her little by little until 2011 when he started “Arabic with Husna.”  In the ten to fifteen minute videos posted on BayyinahTV, Husna’s father teaches her Arabic grammatical concepts in an easy-to-understand and kid-friendly manner.  Not only has Husna benefited by gaining a very strong hold on Arabic grammar, but numerous subscribers of BayyinahTV have also learned from the videos.

These videos have been viewed in homes, schools, masjids, and Islamic community centers throughout the world by over 7,000 students.  When asked whether this knowledge disturbs her concentration during class, Husna said that she was initially a little shy and nervous about the camera.  But eventually she was able to ignore the camera.  “I don’t feel awkward because the camera is behind me,” she says.

When people approach her and ask her about the Arabic videos, Husna sometimes feels a little embarrassed.  She is happy that she has the opportunity to help lots of people, but she also “just likes being treated normal.”

Husna enjoys the Arabic classes a lot.  She likes “sitting in a cozy room” learning a wonderful language.  “There really isn’t anything I dislike about it,” she says thoughtfully. “Except sometimes when he [my dad] tickles me, it’s a little weird.”  Husna appreciates her father as a teacher.  “I feel more relaxed because he is teaching.”

Husna recognizes the importance of learning Arabic.  She strongly believes that learning Arabic is important for understanding the Qur’an.  “If I just read it and not understand it, then there’s not much benefit,” she states.  Husna wants to read the Qur’an and understand it directly.  She knows the Arabic classes are helping her get to that point and she encourages other kids to also study Arabic.

(Attention, writers!  Muslim Kids Matter is a regular feature at Muslim Matters.  New articles for kids are posted every other Sunday.  You’re welcome to send in your entries to muslimkidsmatter@muslimmatters.org.)

Samia

November 3, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I love the series! Awesome!
    May Allah reward ustadh Nouman Ali Khan and his family immensely :)
    Ameen :D

O H

November 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Can anyone give some sort of feedback regarding this course with regards to:

1) Difficulty in understanding the concepts and if it is explained in a relatively easy manner.

2) How advanced is the level of Arabic which maybe achieved

3) Number of hours workload which maybe required per week

Jazak Allaahu Khair

najeeb hydrami

February 22, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Brother its very easy and interacting way of studying. Ustadh Noman teach us such a way that even a 5 year can learn at the same time enjoy the arabic.
      I cant say how advanced is the level because I am still in the beginning stages. But you will almost read and understand the meaning of arabic sentences.
      not much workload, as Ustadh Noman will revise and ask so much questions on camera, that you will learn everything before going to next level.

Umm Hadi

December 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Br Nouman’s lecutures are awesome as well.

berjees shah

July 25, 2014 at 5:30 PM

jazakallah,,,…. USTAD NOUMAN ALI KHAN IZ THE BEST…..may Allah bless him and his family in shaa allah………plz if anyone know how we can contact nouman sahab or how can we ask him questions plz do inform me…..that will ur most kindness…..husna iz really very lucky mashallah……

Qais khairandesh

June 25, 2015 at 7:01 AM

I don’t now how to read the Quran and I am 24 year old but I really want to learn

Habyb

June 24, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Salamu alaykum Qais,
      I know its 364 days late however bayyinah.tv runs a course that can address your need.
      “10 Day Reading Challenge” Learn how to read the Qa’idah Nooraniyah with Ustadh Nouman Ali Khan! This is an excellent course for anyone looking to learn how to read Arabic for the first time, or for anyone looking to improve their basic Arabic reading skills series for leaning to read the Quran.
      Kindly let me know if I can be of any help.

erinpamihabyb@yahoo.com

Ayesha Khan

June 28, 2015 at 4:52 AM

Ustaadh Nouman Ali Khan is one of the best Quran Teachers ever..May Allah Grant him Janattul Firdous … Ameen

Sara Amin

October 16, 2015 at 7:38 AM

Sheikh Nouman motivated so much to learn Arabic. It’s a real tough language. So many words can mean so many things.
    Although I have to say I really don’t like the heavy Arabic grammar approach. It makes the language seem rigid and robotic.

by the way people found this really great article on how to learn Arabic I’ve been trying to use it daily to progress faster in my Arabic. Of course when you married with a kid it’s not so easy.

It’s much more interesting approach to the traditional heavy hard academic approach to learning Arabic.
    But that’s my opinion. I’m not saying grammar isn’t important but for beginners to learn grammar is just too much and too early when we can focus on the language skills first.

Ayesha Rashid

October 16, 2015 at 8:24 AM

I’m sorry sister sara but I disagree. How will I be able to speak and write Arabic properly without knowing grammar. BTW that post you posted which was a useful read has a section on grammar so it is not correct to leave and devalue the importance of Arabic grammar. Without grammar you won’t make any sense when you speak or write Arabic.

umm marzookh

June 29, 2016 at 1:20 PM

Asak wanted to know how to enroll my teenager son in this course learn grammer with husna….

A

August 22, 2016 at 4:08 PM

you can find it on this page: http://www.bayyinah.tv/sp/9942-bayyinah-tv

You need to sign up, and there is a cost, but if you cannot afford it, you can ask for free subscription.

There are also many other very interesting and valuable courses

Jannah Wall Art | MuslimKidsMatter

Assalam Alaykum wa Rahmatullah wa Barakatuh

Jannah Wall Art

We thought long and hard about what to focus on this Ramadan. We decided it would be motivation! The desire to do pray has to spring from motivation. Being obedient to parents has to spring from motivation. Racing to do any good deed has to spring from motivation. Children love rewards and what better reward and motivator to focus on, than Jannah itself, the best and ultimate reward.

Each day in Ramadan, the challenge is to read a description or two of Jannah, cut out a petal, and write the description in a few words on the petal. Children then need to stick the petals next to each other to make a flower. By the end of Ramadan, the children will have made a beautiful flower containing the descriptions of Jannah to hang up on their walls to remind them why they need to pray, be good to their parents, give charity and accumulate as many good deeds as possible.

Everything has been provided for you including the descriptions of Jannah, the petal template, a sample of what the flower should look like and step by step instructions. You just need to print and execute!

GET YOUR FREE RESOURCE NOW

May Allah allow us all to witness Ramadan and make us from those who excel in worship throughout the blessed month.

Wassalam Alaykum
The Ilmburst Family

Power Up Kids Ramadan Days 8 – 11

Welcome to Ilmburst’s FREE Ramadan children’s video series: Power Up Ramadan.

Each video comes with accompanying resources, to access them, please click this link,

bit.ly/PowerUpYourRamadan

Day 9: PATIENCE

Day 10: DU’A

Day 11: HOPE

Check out more Ramadan resources on the Ilmburst website.

Follow Ilmburst on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.

Power Up Your Kids’ Ramadan! Days 1-7

Welcome to Ilmburst’s FREE Ramadan children’s video series: Power Up Ramadan.

Day Two: RACE

Day Three: GOALS

Day Four: PRAYER

Day Five: EMPTY

Day Six: QUR’AN

Day Seven: SINCERITY

Check out more Ramadan resources on the Ilmburst website.

Follow Ilmburst on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.