- I’m proud of my beard. I don’t say this in an arrogant way, but what I mean is that I’m not ashamed of it. I don’t wear it because I think I’ve attained human perfection, but because I want to imitate those of whom I know have. I wear it because it’s the sunnah of my Prophet Muhammad and I look up to him. He’s my role-model. I have it because Prophet Moses had it, Prophet Jesus had it, and so did all other Prophets and Messengers of God.
- I believe that it is waajib (mandatory). I don’t say this because I’m an extremist, but because the majority of Muslim scholars and schools of thought say so. However, that doesn’t make me any better than you. Actually, I know for a fact that many of you are better than me.
- I don’t believe it’s the most important thing in the deen. At the same time, I don’t think it’s so trivial either, because the Prophet wouldn’t waste his time on something trivial.
- How Long Is Yours? As to the length of the beard, I take the middle opinion. I don’t think it should be allowed to grow indefinitely. In fact, there are narrations from Ibn Omar and Abu Huraira (two Companions who followed the Prophet to the letter) that they used not to grow it beyond the fist. So yes, I’m a Hanafi when it comes to the beard :) On the other hand, goatees, shadows (5 o’clock), and soul patches are not sunnah either.
- I’ve had a beard since I was 20, and not shaved it once, alhamdulillah. It wasn’t always easy. I had some relatives scorn me because of it. Some told me I will never get a job because of my beard. But, with the bounty of Allah , I have always had a great job.
- But the worst is when Muslims ridicule the beard. I’ve heard some call it “the broom”. I say shame on you! Don’t you realize that your Prophet used to wear a beard? It’s totally your personal choice to have it or not, but you should never make fun of it. By the same token, we should never make fun of the clean-shaven either. Respect to all!
- I think it adds to a man’s beauty, if treated properly. The Prophet used to say that if you have hair, then take care of it (be generous to it, to be exact). So if you decide to grow it, don’t leave it unmade; and please don’t look like a caveman!
You can follow the writer at www.facebook.com/AnasHlayhel
MMPoll: What Style of Beard Do You Sport?