Anti-Muslim Bigotry

#MyJihad – The ‘Struggle’ to Reclaim Islam

Shaahima Fahim

Residents of Chicago, San Francisco and Washington DC, may have noticed of late that the streets are rife with the call to jihad. No, not a recruitment drive for a blood-thirsty ‘holy war’ that anti-Islam brigades have maliciously associated with the word – rather an interactive, public education campaign aimed at reclaiming the very term and re-attributing it to what it truly represents.

myjihad1

Vibrant posters with the words “My Jihad” alongside smiling, friendly faces and positive messaging plastered across public transport buses, seem to be successfully driving home (pun intended) the message that ‘jihad’ in actuality refers to a concerted effort or struggle, namely by an individual in the path of God.

In December of 2012, Ahmed Rehab, Executive Director of CAIR (Council on American-Islamic Relations) Chicago, had had just about enough when America’s most vicious Islamophobe smeared the New York and San Francisco subway stations with a fresh wave of incendiary adverts against Islam. Having been on the receiving end of one too many a dose of bigotry, this was the last straw for Rehab.

Too beloved a term to be allowed to be hijacked in this fashion, “My Jihad” was launched with the slogan and intent of, “Taking back Islam from Muslim and anti-Muslim extremists alike,” where both Muslims and non-Muslims are encouraged to contribute their reflections of what this spiritual struggle means to them.

myjihad6

This isn’t merely another short-lived ad campaign. Although sponsoring public ads on buses and trains is one way of contributing, the bulk of interaction and mobilization of support is taking place online.

The modus operandi are many – people are encouraged to rally behind this anti-Islamophobia movement via “My Jihad’s” Facebook, Twitter and YouTube pages, through self-expression either in the submission of photos, posts and videos, or by just spreading the word. Many have already taken on the cause as their own through individually produced/organized media outlets, documentaries, lectures, workshops and even weekend youth retreats.

myjihad3

Angie Emara, Project Coordinator of the campaign, explains, “This campaign is about reclaiming our faith and its concepts from extremists, both Muslim and anti-Muslim. The goal is to provide a platform on which the mainstream Muslim’s voice is expressed, sharing the true meaning of jihad as we live it daily, as our reality. ‘MyJihad’ is NOT to negate that fighting oppressors is a valid jihad, but this campaign is about shedding light on the other honourable forms of jihad.  The ‘My’ in ‘MyJihad’ is just as important as the ‘Jihad’ because it is sharing what we believe, what we practice, what we live every day.”

Angie was one of Ahmed’s first respondents, and is involved for the sake of her children’s generation, “We’re tired of having to defend ourselves from associations to no acts of our own doing, and that is especially why I joined – to help create and strengthen a platform on which my kids’ generation can live and practice their beliefs freely and not fear being suspect for things just because of their faith.”

myjihad7

The response to this well-intentioned crusade it seems has been none short of overwhelming. For just a little over 2 months into the campaign, the #MyJihad Facebook page is 7,000+ fans strong, has a 1500+ following on Twitter, 160k views on YouTube, and has even been covered on all major local and international news networks including CNN, BBC Arabic, Aljazeera, Washington Post, Huffington Post and NPR, to name a few.

“We’ve received hundreds of messages, Facebook posts, and tweets from people of all faiths saying how they had misunderstood the term jihad and now understand what it truly means,” adds Angie,

“We even have non-Muslims – Jewish and Christian people in various fields of work, completely unrelated to this effort, catching wind of this campaign and using the term jihad for struggle in their staff meetings and college lectures! Now THAT is changing the narrative.”

Though probably an even stronger indicator of the campaign’s outreach is the response it has garnered from the likes of Pamela Gellar and other hardcore anti-Islam activists and groups such as the English Defence League, who have since attempted to usurp the intent behind the initiative by linking it up to hate-mongering slogans in tune with their own messaging.  But Angie and the team aren’t fazed, “They refuse to accept what we are representing- which is truly the real Islam. They refuse it because it would destroy them.”

A mere fly in the ointment, for word of “My Jihad” has reached international waters as well, with people from Europe, Asia, Australia, and even the Middle East asking to bring the campaign to their cities.

Short term future plans for “My Jihad” include more US ad launches, and activation of the university and community outreach portion of the campaign. In the long term, the team does have their sights set internationally – including the UK, Turkey, Australia, and Egypt to name a few. Insha’Allah.

bestjihad2

To learn more about the “My Jihad” campaign, and how you can support it, visit www.MyJihad.org.

All pictures from www.MyJihad.org

AJ

March 11, 2013 at 6:25 AM

Sarah Mohamed

March 11, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I love this initiative! I think it’s absolutely amazing, Ma shaa Allah. Would love to see the business expand all over the globe inshaAllah. Glad we Muslims are stepping up and reclaiming back the meaning of our Jihad, Allhamdulillah.

&Thank you Muslimmatters for advertising this and giving light to it, I’m glad to see it mentioned on this website Allhamdulillah

Gibran

March 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

What is the matter with people who wish to water down this deen? Don’t they know this only leads to disgrace in this life and punishment in the next?

Aseey/Jos

March 13, 2013 at 1:19 AM

The meaning of jihad have been understood world wide, especially by islamaphobes that contribute either directly or indirectly to the problem. We will reclaim our religion inshallah and may Allah purify the intention of all those that take part in this struggle.

Alkalaamblog

March 13, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Jihad bil Khalm…Todays JIHAD, for each one of us.

BE

March 14, 2013 at 11:23 PM

“….the message that ‘jihad’ in actuality refers to a concerted effort or struggle, namely by an individual in the path of God.”

I agree. Just like the word “crusade”.

Crusade is also “a concerted effort or struggle”.

Sandra Amen-Bryan

March 15, 2013 at 12:27 AM

We must as Muslims, American or not, continue to define and shape our own dialouges and conversations. There is a fierce battle being waged to define our identity(s) by those who care not for us nor our religion.

azzy

March 29, 2013 at 11:53 AM

uh… factually speaking, a productive jihad would be to do Dawah, instead of reinterpreting the term to suit what the society expects you to do. I initially thought this was a good campaign but i looked at the pics and realized its like saying Jihad has nothing to do with religion. For us muslims no matter how irrelevant the society considers worshiping of God to be, it is the single most important purpose of life.

8. Pingback: Dignity in the Time of Islamophobia | The Kaftan Writer

5 Quick Things Americans Can Do For Uyghurs Today

Abu Ryan Dardir

“I may die, but let it be known that my nation will continue their struggle so long the world continues to exist.” Kazakh leader Uthman Batur. He said these words as Chinese authorities executed him for resisting the communist occupation. Currently, China has, one million Uyghurs (Uighurs), Kazakhs, and other Muslim minorities held in concentration camps in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) (East Turkistan) in northwestern China.

Their struggle surpasses the 10 or so years since we have become aware of it. Just like the Rohingya genocide, we waited till the last minute. We are always late and say, “Never Again.” It happens again and again.

In my lifetime, there have been horrendous genocides that could have been prevented to stopped. As a child, I remember Rwanda in the headlines, then a year later Bosnian genocide. Then we hear these demonic stories after the fact. I remember stories from survivors from Bosnia, and thinking to myself, “How are you here and functioning?”

Let us not be fooled to why this is happening now. It is related to economic advantages. The Chinese government’s present signature foreign policy initiative is the “Belt and Road Initiative” (BRI) that seeks to connect the PRC economically to the rest of the Eurasian continent through massive infrastructure projects that will stimulate international trade. The western and south-western components of the BRI require the XUAR to serve as a transportation and commercial hub to trade routes and pipelines that will join China with Central and South Asia, the Middle East, and the entirety of Europe. As a result, the XUAR has become an important strategic region for the Chinese, and the state views its indigenous populations as an obstacle to developing its vision for this future critical center of international commercial networks.1

The expansion of their trade route also ties in Iran hence the sanctions placed, but that’s a different report for a different time. China, of course, has defended their actions by claiming its an anti-terrorism plan. Getting reliable information is hard. China has made it a point to make things difficult for reporters. Yanan Wang, a China-based journalist from the Associated Press, has reported extensively on and from Xinjiang.

In a ceremony at Asia Society on Tuesday commemorating AP’s 2019 Osborn Elliott Award for Excellence in Journalism on Asia, Wang described the subtle ways government minders worked to thwart her reporting: “(Both of the times we went there we arrived at the airport, we had a welcoming committee from the local authorities. They’re always very polite and professional. They say that “you’ve arrived in Xinjiang and we’re here to assist you in your reporting. Tell us what you’re working on so we can help you.” They offer us drives in their car and plenty of hospitality.

Basically, from the moment we arrive, we’re followed by at least one car. There are a bunch of interesting scenarios that we came across. You can see that the local handlers are trying hard to be professional. They are members of the propaganda department, so they’re PR professionals. They don’t want to make it appear like it’s so stifling. At one point, we were taking photos, and someone suddenly appeared on the scene to say he was a “concerned citizen.” He said he’d seen us taking photos and that it was an infringement of his privacy rights. He had this long monologue about privacy rights and about how it wasn’t right for us to take photos of him without his knowledge. We asked him, “Well, where are you in these photos?” and he’d go through all of them. He said we had to delete all of them. He’d say, “This is my brother,” or “This is my place of work, you have to delete it.”

They had all of these interesting tactics to work around the idea that they were trying to obstruct our reporting and make it appear that someone who claims to be a concerned citizen.)”2

On top of that, locals that talk to journalist are punished, sometimes go missing.

I decided to do something this time around; I got in touch with an Uyghur community near my residence to see how an individual could help. It started at a Turkic restaurant, and from there, I have been involved in whatever capacity I am able. Through this effort, I got in touch with a Turkic professor in Turkey who has students stranded as they are cut off from contacting family back in Xinjiang. He helps them out financially; my family and friends help with what they can.

As Muslims in the West, there is no doubt we should act. Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, said “Whosoever of you sees an evil, let him change it with his hand; and if he is not able to do so, then [let him change it] with his tongue; and if he is not able to do so, then with his heart, and that is the weakest of faith” (Muslim).

How Can You Help Uyghurs

Here are a few things you can do to help:

1. Ask Congress to pass To pass S.178 & H.R.649 Uyghur Human Rights Policy Act of 2019. Urge your senator and representative to support this cause. It has been introduced. This bill can help the Uyghur community to be treated like Tibetans (another region oppressed by China).

2. Stay informed. The mainstream media is not the place to get accurate information on the situation. Be skeptical of where the data is coming from, stick to reliable sources that are verified. As mentioned above, journalists find it difficult to report.

3. Donate to Uyghur Human Rights Organizations to end concentration camps: UHRP, Uyghur American Association  Donate to Awareness Campaigns: Save Uigur Campaign

4. Boycott or reduce buying Made in China products

5. Follow these links for updated information: facebook.com/Uyghur-Human-Rights-Project-227634297289994/ and facebook.com/ChinaMuslims

This crisis is an ethnic cleansing for profit. These are dark days as we value profit over people.

1.Statement by Concerned Scholars on mass detentions | MCLC …. https://u.osu.edu/mclc/2018/11/27/statement-by-concerned-scholars-on-mass-detention s/

2.Why It’s So Difficult for Journalists To Report From …. https://asiasociety.org/blog/asia/why-its-so-difficult-journalists-report-xinjiang

#Culture

Retire Aladdin To The Ends Of The Earth

By

By Jinan Shbat

I grew up in an upper-middle-class suburb in Ohio, where I never felt different than the kids in my neighborhood. Sure, my siblings and I had odd-sounding names, and we spoke a second language. But to our neighbors and classmates, we were white, like them. However, that perception changed when I was 11-years-old, when a Disney cartoon movie named “Aladdin,” was released based off of a character created by a French orientalist at the height of Orientalism. At first, my siblings and I were excited because we thought Disney had made a movie that represented us. However, shortly after the movie came out, the questions began.

Are you from Agrabah?

Do you have a magic carpet? Are you going to be married off to someone your parents choose? Do you have outfits like Jasmine?” My head was swarming with all these questions, and I admit, I was intimidated. A little scared, too. I didn’t know how to answer them, and so I just shook my head and walked away.

My parents thought they were doing us a favor by buying the movie and have us watch it anytime other kids came over to play. This just created a larger divide between us, and soon my siblings and I were the “other.” It made me hyper-aware of my brown skin, my visiting foreign grandparents, and my weird-sounding name that no one could ever pronounce correctly. As I grew up, the movie and its racist, Orientalist tropes followed and haunted me. Anytime anyone found out I was Arab, they would ask, “oh, like Aladdin?” I didn’t know how to answer that. Was Aladdin Arab? South Asian, Persian? These were all different ethnicities, yet the movie seemed to be an amalgamation of them all, set in a fiction land I could not identify.

Why is Disney’s Aladdin Harmful?

It may not seem like a big deal to be misidentified in this way, but it is. And these stereotypes that have been present in Hollywood for decades are a huge disservice to our communities- all our communities- because when you misidentify a person’s culture, you are saying that all people of color are interchangeable— which is dehumanizing.

With the new release of the live action version, “Aladdin” is reinforcing the trauma and obstacles we have had to fight for the last 30+ years. The addition of a diversity consulting firm made Disney look good; it showed good faith on their part to receive feedback on the script to try and improve it.

However, issues remain with the original story itself, and no amount of consulting will change that.

Although the Aladdin remake was marked by controversy over Disney “brown-facing” its white cast, and despite original Aladdin’s racist history, last weekend Disney’s live-action version soared to $207.1 million globally. Money experts tell us that the remake success comes from the “power of nostalgia”- that is, the film’s ability to connect with feel-good memories.

The original production is the second highest grossing film project in Disney history. Last weekend, millions flocked to the remake in record numbers, despite critics’ negative and mixed reviews.

The accompanying Aladdin Jr. play is also a major concern, sales of which will skyrocket because of the film. Disney only recently removed the word ‘barbaric’ in its description of Arabs in the opening song. Many more problems abound, but Disney promises through its licensing company, Music Theatre International, to keep the concepts explored in the original production intact.

A Whole New World Needs Less Anti-Muslim Bigotry

From my perspective, as an organizer that fights a huge Islamophobia network in my daily work, it would be a disservice to my work and our community to sit by and allow racist, Islamophobic, orientalist tropes to make their way into our theaters, homes, and schools. What exactly is not a big deal in this movie? The depiction of Arabs and South Asians as one demographic, the storyline of forced marriage, power struggles, a black man playing a genie literally bound by chains to a lamp?

Hollywood’s history of Islamophobia needs to be rectified. There is a plethora of writers, actors and creative minds with alternative positive portrayals of Muslims, Arabs and South Asians. Our consumer appetite must shift to embrace authentic stories and images about people like me.

Aladdin is beyond repair; in its original form, it is problematic. No number of meetings with executives will fix the problems that are still prevalent. It should be retired, indefinitely, and put on the shelf with all the other racist caricatures from Hollywood history.

It’s our duty to speak out- and if you don’t believe we should, then you can choose to stay silent. I cannot.

Jinan Shbat is an organizer in Washington DC.

Faith Community Stands With Peace And Justice Leader Imam Omar Suleiman During Right Wing Attacks

Hena Zuberi

In a follow up to the right-wing media platforms attack on Imam Omar Suleiman – calling him anti-semitic, a common tactic used to discredit both Muslim activists, as well as criticism of Israel policies, Faith Forward Dallas issued a statement.

Faith Forward Dallas at Thanksgiving Square – Faith Leaders United for Peace and Justice is a Texas-based interfaith organization that has worked on many initiatives with Imam Omar Suleiman.

The statement reads:

“Imam Omar Suleiman a spiritual and moral voice for peace with justice!!!!!

Time after time in our city, in the United States and around the world, Imam Omar Suleiman has been a spiritual and moral voice for peace with justice. When others seek to divide, he calls for unity. Faith Forward Dallas at Thanks-Giving Square works to unite faith leaders for justice and compassion. Imam Suleiman has been a trusted leader among us. In the wake of his beautiful prayer to open the House of Representatives on May 9, he has received threats of violence and words of vilification when instead he should have our praise and prayers. We call upon people of good will everywhere to tone down the rhetoric, to replace hate with love, and to build bridges toward the common good.

Faith Forward Dallas at Thanks-Giving Square”

Commenters on the Faith Forward Dallas statement have left comments of support.

The group has invited locals and other leaders to endorse and share the statement. “Endorsed! I love and fully you Imam Omar Suleiman!” wrote Karen Weldes Fry, Spiritual Director at Center of Spiritual Learning in Dallas (CSLDallas), commenting on the statement.

Some commentators do not understand the manufactured controversy.  Heather Mustain writes, “What people are writing is so vile. They obviously didn’t even listen to his prayer!” Imam  Omar Suleiman delivered the opening prayer in the US House of Representatives on May, 9th, 2019  at the invitation of Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson (D) of Dallas, TX.

“I’m grateful for the faith leaders with whom I’ve built relationships with and served with for years that have shown full support throughout this process. Together we’ve stood with one another in solidarity in the face of bigotry, and in the support of others in any form of pain. We will not let these dark forces divide us,” said Imam Omar Suleiman in response to the outpouring of love from the people he has worked with on the ground, building on peace, love, and justice.