Inspiration and Spirituality

Verily, Along With Every Hardship Is Relief

Guests

By: Umm Zakariyya

Reflecting on my marriage, my mind settles on two things: A diamond ring and a couplet from the Holy Qurʾān.

94:5

Support MuslimMatters for Just $2 a Month

So verilyalong with every hardship is relief. [Al-Sharḥ  5]

94:6

Verilyalong with every hardship is relief[Al-Sharḥ  6]

On my fourth wedding anniversary, two days before our first child was due, my marriage crumbled.  My husband abandoned us without warning, like a thunderstorm that suddenly shifts the winds and darkens the skies on an otherwise clear day and passes just as quickly, leaving in his wake the debris of debt, women, and lies.  The next night, I went into labor alone desperately reciting hasbunallahu wa ni`mal wakil, pleading Allāhsubḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) to save my family, the physical pains of labor engulfed by the sharper, more seething pain of a broken heart.  On Friday afternoon, immediately after Jumu‘ah alāh, my son silently entered the world; not a breath, cry or squirm announcing his arrival, prompting a controlled frenzy of doctors and nurses.  Although my son survived, my heart died.  I sold my house, I resigned from teaching, I struggled to pray.  I refused to leave the house for 10 months.

Such is the unexpected nature of divorce, splitting asunder the very foundation of a woman’s existence, destroying her confidence, stifling her capacity to love, and paralyzing her faith.  It is in this condition that I found myself facing a tremendous test from Allāhsubḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) – the responsibility of single motherhood.

A human being’s instinctual response in the face of tragedy is survival, the struggle to fulfill basic human needs – cleanliness, warmth, sustenance, and sleep.  For a new mother, the needs of her newborn child supersede her own, as she responds to his cries, nursing, changing, and soothing him tirelessly, forcing her into an unfamiliar solitude and causing bouts of anxiety and depression. For a divorced new mother in ‘iddah, the solitude is tenfold, requiring tremendous love, concern, and support from others.  Yet, tragedy repels people from the one who suffers.  Too numb from my own pain and fatigued from attending to my son, I welcomed the solitude, reflecting on my relationship with Allāhsubḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He), repenting for my sins, weeping and begging for His mercy.  I found solace in the du‘ā’ of Umm Salamah (rayAllāhu anha), which she recited after the death of her husband, Abu Salamah, and before her marriage to the Prophetṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him):

Oh, Allāh, recompense me for my affliction and replace it with something better.

Related Video:

[youtube 2BQnt33D6KI]

In quiet dhikr and reflection, my days ebbed and flowed testing my abr and building my resilience.

Alamdulillāh, with time, the fight for survival subsides, the body recovers and grows stronger, as surviving gives way to living.  Similarly, a newborn’s dependence advances towards independence – a first smile, the first full night of sleep, first steps, first words.  In response, the mother experiences a catharsis – a flood of emotion that purges her of frustration and fear – and begins to kindle within her genuine love and compassion for the little person emerging before her.  It was amongst my son’s firsts that the dam suppressing my sorrow often burst, and the tears gushed forth uncontrollably.  In gratitude and humility, the khushū‘ returned in my alāh and I began making du‘ā’ with conviction, not yet for myself, but for my son.

Just as the surface of a seawall erodes from the ceaseless pounding of salty, ocean waves, so does raising a child soften the hardened edges of a mother’s heart, allowing a peaceful quietude to take root.  After returning to teaching, my students and I were discussing Arthur Miller’s ‘Tragedy and the Common Man’.  He argues that “[tragedy] is the indestructible will of man to achieve his humanity… the tragic right is a condition of life, a condition in which the human personality is able to flower and realize itself.”  This forced me to reflect more deeply on the profound beauty and ikmah of our blessed Qurʾān.

With Allāh’ssubḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) guidance and mercy, I now understand that motherhood is my tragic right, my son is the promised relief from my hardship, and our bond as mother and son is the transformative result of our condition – like a diamond.

SubānAllāh, the formation of a diamond requires very specific environmental conditions -the exposure to extremely high pressure juxtaposed with extremely low temperatures – and is brought to the Earth’s surface by magma released from volcanic eruptions.  As a result, the diamond is the hardest natural material, known for its toughness and purity, which sparkles more brilliantly than any gem when cut, faceted, and polished by time and experience.

May Allāhsubḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) preserve the purity of our sons like diamonds and strengthen the virtues of honesty, humility, and modesty in their character as exemplified by our beloved Prophetṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him). May He harden them against the evils and temptations of this society and enable them to accept their roles as amīrs, husbands, and fathers who honor their responsibility to their wives and children, treating them with compassion and integrity.  And may He guide them to find Jannah at the feet of the mothers who raised them and to make du‘ā’ for the magfirah of the fathers who abandoned them.  Ameen.

Support Our Dawah for Just $2 a Month

Gikianb18

March 7, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Masha’ALLAH! Awesome! Very nice read… May Allah Almighty bless you, your son, and the whole Ummah!

Guest

March 7, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Muphry’s strike was intentional.*

Madiha Abbas

March 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM

My heart broke as I read this. May Allah indeed recompense you for your affliction and replace it with something better. My He shower His blessings on you and your son.

maryam

March 7, 2012 at 1:36 PM

subhan Allah, may Allah bless you a gazillion times and even more and bless your son and bless you both with living Jannah on earth in your hearts and in your relationship your entire lives and bless you with better and bless you with Firdose al `alaa bi ghayri hisaab!!! ameeen ameen ameeeeeeennnn

Saifa

March 8, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Ameen, Ameen, Ameen!!

Anon

March 7, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Can we maybe have a follow up/preface article on why her husband up and left?

Bint Hussain

March 8, 2012 at 9:36 PM

That is not necessary information for us to know. There is no need to defame somebody in a whole article just because we would like to know why he left. What he did is between him and Allah.

Umaymah

April 1, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Iblis has his throne in the sea, and he sends out his dispatchments of shaytan to aggravate people. The dearest of them to him is the one who causes the most fitna (tribulation).
      One of his workers comes and tells him “I did not leave (my victim) until I brought about separation between him and his wife.” Iblis draws him near and says to him, “Yes, You (are the best).”
      Muslim

Salman Muhamamd

March 7, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Being “philosophical” about the tragedy and putting your faith in Allah appear to be tivhe saving grace.  You pass the test and come out stronger, sister, Alhamdulillah.  May Allah bless you, and the rest of us.

Sumaiyya

March 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Broke my heart to read this sister :( May Allah give you the strength and patience to overcome this difficult time. Allah has a reason for everything and remember ‘la yukallifullahu nafsan illa wus’aha’ – Allah does not burden anyone with more than he is well able to bear. May Allah recompense you and your son with the best in this world and the Hereafter Ameen!

Saifa

March 8, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Ameen, Ameen!!!

Sohail

March 7, 2012 at 2:44 PM

may ALLAH SWT bless you and make you happy in this world and in the hereafter, ameen.

Mezba

March 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM

May Allah give you lots of strength, sister. I can personally attest to having faith in Allah when the chips are down. Indeed, with every difficulty, there is relief. mashallah we have with us the Holy Quran, indeed the best of guidance.

Guest

March 7, 2012 at 3:14 PM

MashaAllah sister this is a great story..well written i must add. I am happy you came out stronger from your adversity, for indeed Allah said “hal jaza’ul ihsan illal ihsaan”. is there any reward for good other than good.

salmah lee

March 7, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Subhanallah…so profound…s/how i cn relate as i was in the same situation once.

Diana

March 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM

but I’m missing the closing quotes after ‘anniversary’ above. lol…

Khadeejah Islam

March 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM

A poignant and soothing read! I really like articles based on real life stories which exemplify the teachings of Islam.

Dreamlife

March 8, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Masha-Allah – jazakAllah for sharing this, and may Allah
    reward you with the very, very best in this life and the Hereafter for what you
    have borne, and are still bearing. Life experiences like these are truly
    amazing, and bring to life the theoretical concepts we know about – but can’t necessarily
    connect to until tragedy strikes.

Hannah

March 8, 2012 at 2:15 AM

I think it took a lot of strength in and of itself to share something so personal and traumatic with the world. Your emotions gushed forth and were alive on the page. Beautiful prose and an even more beautiful message. Thank you for being so brave and sharing your story. Insha’Allah all who read it will benefit from it.

Samar

March 8, 2012 at 3:24 AM

@Guest and @Anon: Can we please NOT advise or point out mistakes with such blunt harshness?  Lighten up and give such advice in a nicer way next time.

Samar

March 8, 2012 at 3:26 AM

sorry, not @Anon.

shahidah

March 8, 2012 at 3:29 AM

Subhanallah sister what a beautiful heart you have may Allah SWT recompense you with  something better. ameen ya Rabbul Alamin

anony

March 8, 2012 at 4:06 AM

SubhanAllah sister may Allah SWT reward you and bless both you and your son.  I expect with you as his mother that he will grow up to be a great man iA.

Lovisa Karlsson

March 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Assalam alekom

-hugs- I’m sorry that you had to go through so much pain but as you said yourself it only made you stronger. “Someone said: If it won’t kill you it will make you stronger” As bitter as true.

At least we have Allah <3 The most merciful and with Him I know that we can do anything.

Hardship is a test and if all the pain we suffer from now will save us from the hell fire then I will smile through my trials.

May Allah bless you and your wonderful son :)
    Fi amanillah

zahira

March 8, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Salaams, Sis, I don’t know what to say….my heart was bleeding as I read this….and my prayers are with you….Alhamdhulilllaah, that you were able to overcome this terrible tragedy. May Allah bring into your life good, righteous people reward you exponentially for the Sabr you exercised. Aameen.

Umabdullah

March 9, 2012 at 1:19 AM

So touching. I hope Allah grants you a husband whom you truly deserve and who deserves you.

I remember the days after my marriage had ended. It was only a few months long and there were no children so it was different and even though alhamdulillah it was a blessing that it ended there was still pain. No one likes to see a sacred union end. There is pain in the ending. So i can only imagine what you must have gone through.

Allah tests those whom He loves. Hardships have a way of making our strength come out, our resilience..to make us shine.

SamZ

March 9, 2012 at 5:15 AM

Assalamualaikum,

Thanks for sharing your story. Inshallah, hope it helps those whose marriages ended suddenly. Allah will have something much much better for the patient, Inshallah. A very heart breaking story…

Lady_S

March 10, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Assalamualaikum.

Your story is very touching. I have been through an ordeal that has broken me down as well, and those very same verses from Surah Sharh have kept me going. As well as the last verse of Surah Baqarah, the first part which states that Allah does not burden someone beyond which they can bear.
    Every challenge that we go through is meant to teach us something, make us stronger; wiser; tougher; and humble us.
    Masha Allah, you have come thus far, and Insha Allah, you will always survive. With iman.
    May Allah grant you and your son all the happiness in this world and the hereafter. Insha Allah.
    Take care.

Guest

March 10, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Ameen.
    May Allah SWT reward you with further strength.

anum

March 11, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Assalam o alaykum wa rehmatullah wa barakatuhu dearest sister,
    Insha’Allah my Rabb will not grant you anything less than Jannah. I love you and your son for the sake of Allah subhana wa taAla.And in Akhirah when my Rabb rewards you according to His grace you will then know the worth of this trial.

Uzma

March 11, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Thank you for sharing this story of strength and His Mercy. The story and dua of Umm Salamah(radyAllahu ‘anha) is amazing.

BarakaYasseen

March 14, 2012 at 6:15 PM

SubhanAllah, this actually made me cry. May Allah taa’la make it easy upon you sister.

akmatalib

March 15, 2012 at 9:47 AM

SubhanAllah..may Allah give you strength to face the situation, sister. and may Allah bestow you and your children with His mercy and His Blessings.ameen.

Wael - IslamicSunrays.com

March 16, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Ameen to your dua, sister. I’ve been in a similar situation and I can say that I was saved and transformed by my love for my daughter. I have been able to weep before Allah for my daughter, when I could not weep for myself. Caring for her has made me a more patient and better man.

Umaymah

April 1, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Muslim

HAUWA UMAR

April 3, 2012 at 2:24 PM

My heart bleeds for you, but I take solace from the fact that your iman is strong and firm. Verily, with every hardship, there is relief.
       May ALLAH AZZA WA JAL Send to you a man from HIS GLORIOUS PRESENCE who will be your friend, husband, lover, and a good father to your son. ALLAHUMMA Amin. ALHAMDULILLAHI RABBIL alamin. ALLAHUMMA sali ala Muhammadin wa’ ala ali Muhammadin wa Salim.

Sana_ashraf_86

April 18, 2012 at 4:57 AM

May Allah bless you sis. you are so strong mashallah and u took the heartache and pain and blossomed into a beautiful muslumah who can inspire me in my life. u hav definately proven that with every hardship comes ease. By reading your struggle helps me to relate to a few things and just makes my emaan stronger knowing that Allah can take us out of any situation.

Quran learning

April 30, 2012 at 3:34 AM

An excellent. You shared a fruitful information with us. Children are great blessings of Allah Almighty for their parents. May Allah give them long life with prosperity.

Adeeb

October 9, 2012 at 3:34 PM

This was so sad, it almost reduced me to tears as I read this at work, even though Im a brother.

I pray your pain has eased sister and Allah swt blesses you with a husband with whom you can find love and peace.

Maryam

December 29, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuhu sister,
    It strengthened me to read your account. I have been through trouble for quite some time now and like you say tragedy repels people. :'(

30 Khawaatir in 30 Days- A Parent’s Guide | Day 17: Hajar and her Sa’i

Now that we have learnt about the best of you, let’s now talk about Hajar raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) and her sa’i.

Question: Can anyone tell me the common steps we have to take when we perform the Umrah or Hajj in Mecca?

Yes! We have to make tawaaf around the Ka’bah, and walk/jog between the hills of Marwa and Safa, drink zam zam, and then shave or cut our hair.

Question: Do you know who we’re emulating when we walk/jog between Marwa and Safa?

Hajar raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her)was a noble woman, who was also the wife of Prophet Ibrahim 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him) and the mother of Prophet Isma’il 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him). One day, Prophet Ibrahim 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him) was instructed by Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) to leave his wife and baby in the barren desert. There were no people there, no water, no animals; it was completely deserted. Hajar raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) asked Prophet Ibrahim 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him): “Did Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) command you to do this?”

Support MuslimMatters for Just $2 a Month

Prophet Ibrahim 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him) replied “Yes,” to which she said: “Then certainly, He will not abandon us.”

After a while, Hajar’s raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) milk started to run out and so did her food. Baby Ismai’l 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him) was crying and crying out of thirst and hunger. Out of desperation, Hajar raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) then starts running between the hills of Marwa and Safa, climbing to the very top of each hill and looking to see if anyone is there to help her and her baby.

After Hajar raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) runss between the two hills seven times, the angel Jibril  appears and strikes the ground where baby Ismai’l 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him) is crying, and out gushes zam zam water that is still quenching the thirst of and healing Muslims until today!

Question: Do you know the Arabic word for what Hajar raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) was doing?

It’s called sa’i (to pursue, endeavor, to strive). When we are putting in our utmost effort, sometimes, we won’t see the fruits of our labor directly. Hajar  raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) did not see the zam zam gush out on the hilltop. Rather, Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) told Angel Jibril to strike the ground near Prophet Ismail’s 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him) body. However, Hajar’s raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) effort is not lost with Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He). She had firm faith that Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) would not abandon them, and Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) rewarded and protected them. They were now in charge of the zam zam water; birds soon came to drink from it, and people soon followed. This once barren desert is now where millions of people go to perform Hajj and Umrah every single year.

Question: I want you all to think of what your sa’i for the sake of Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) looks like. Do you feel like you are striving to please Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He)? When we look back at our family’s sa’i, will we be proud of it?

Sometimes, we find ourselves only focusing on getting the zam zam, but we don’t want to put in the hard work that it takes to get there. So, every time you are struggling with a new idea, or doing a chore you don’t really want to do, or getting into the habit of learning how to read Qur’an and pray those extra prayers, remember that this is all a part of your sa’i and Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) will actually thank you for it.  Can you believe it?

Support Our Dawah for Just $2 a Month

30 Khawaatir in 30 Days- A Parent’s Guide | Day 16: The Best of You

Now that we have learnt about fruit out of season, let’s now talk about the best of you.

I want you all to think about your closest friends and how you treat them.

Question: Would anyone like to share how they try to treat their closest friends?

That’s wonderful! You try to be thoughtful and considerate of their feelings. You bring snacks to share with them, you may buy or make them a gift.

Question: Now, I want you to close your eyes and think of the way you treat your family members. Is it the same?

Question: Why do you think that there is a difference between the way we treat our friends and the way we may treat our siblings or parents?

Support MuslimMatters for Just $2 a Month

Yes, we do spend a lot of time together. We see each other when we’re cranky or frustrated. Sometimes we want our own space to think, or we don’t want someone interfering with our things. Those are all valid reasons. But, do you know that it is more beloved to Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) that you treat your family members better than you even treat your friends?

It’s true! In a hadith, Aisha raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) reported: The Prophet Muhammad ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) said:

عَنْ عَائِشَةَ قَالَتْ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ خَيْرُكُمْ خَيْرُكُمْ لِأَهْلِهِ وَأَنَا خَيْرُكُمْ لِأَهْلِي وَإِذَا مَاتَ صَاحِبُكُمْ فَدَعُوهُ

“The best of you are the best to their families, and I am the best to my family.”

Question: What are some ways we can be the best to our family members? I’m going to share with you a hadith that may help you get some ideas:

وعن أبى أمامه الباهلى رضي الله عنه قال‏:‏ قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم‏:‏ “أنا زعيم ببيت في ربض الجنة لمن ترك المراء، وإن كان محقاً، وببيت في وسط الجنة لمن ترك الكذب، وإن كان مازحاً، وببيت في أعلى الجنة لمن حسن خلقه” ‏(‏حديث صحيح رواه أبو داود بإسناد صحيح‏).‏

“I guarantee a house in Jannah (Paradise) for one who gives up arguing, even if he is in the right; and I guarantee a house in the middle of Jannah for one who abandons lying even for the sake of fun; and I guarantee a house in the highest part of Jannah for one who has good manners.”

If we work on these three things: less arguing, no lying, and good manners, alongside all of your other suggestions, we will be rewarded with Jannah, inshaAllah

Question: Do you think we can all work hard to be the best to our family members?

Support Our Dawah for Just $2 a Month

30 Khawaatir in 30 Days- A Parent’s Guide | Day 15: Fruit Out of Season

Now that we have learnt about making our intentions big, let’s now talk about fruit out of season.

Who can tell me who Maryam raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) is

Yes, she was the mother of ‘Isa 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him), and also the best woman to ever live. Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) says in the Qur’an that He chose her over all the women in the world.

Question: Do you know that she was also the niece to a Prophet? Does anyone know her uncle’s name?

Support MuslimMatters for Just $2 a Month

His name is Zakariya 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him), good job! Do you know that Prophet Zakariya  'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him)  was actually inspired by something he saw in Maryam’s raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) room? It’s unusual for adults to admit that they learn from younger people, but we actually do, all the time!

One day, Prophet Zakariya 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him) went inside Maryam’s raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) room and he saw fruit that was out of season.

Question: Can anyone tell me what fruit would be out of season in the spring, but we love to eat it in the summertime? Can we get that same fruit in the wintertime?

Well, Maryam raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) would get fruit that was supposed to only grow in the summer during the wintertime too! This was a gift that Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) would give her. Zakariya 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him) was so amazed by this! He asked Maryam raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) how she came upon the fruit and she replied:

هُوَ مِنْ عِندِ اللَّـهِ ۖ إِنَّ اللَّـهَ يَرْزُقُ مَن يَشَاءُ بِغَيْرِ حِسَابٍ

“It is from Allah. Indeed, Allah provides for whom He wills without measure.” [Surat Ali ‘Imran; 37]

Now, by this time, Zakariya 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him) was very old. And when you get to be very old, it is very unusual to have any more children. Zakariya 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him) and his wife never had any children at all. But, he was so inspired by what his niece said that he raised his hands in dua’ and asked Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) for a child. Even though having a child seemed  impossible because it was “out of season” for Prophet Zakariya 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him) he asks anyway knowing that Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) can grant us anything- even if it is not “in season!”

Question: Can we get that same fruit in the wintertime?Did Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) answer Prophet Zakariya’s 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him) dua’?

Yes! Prophet Zakariya 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him) was blessed with Yahya 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him), who too became a Prophet and was the cousin of Prophet ‘Isa  'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him)!

This shows us that it’s never too late or too early to ask for what our heart desires. Maybe Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) will grant you something that is out of season too!

Support Our Dawah for Just $2 a Month