Inspiration and Spirituality

Top Ten Things Every Student of Knowledge Should Know

Many times young Muslims decide they want to become scholars and embark on the path of knowledge with little knowledge of what to expect. I was such a youngster who signed up for an “‘alim” course with no idea what an ‘alim is or where it would lead me.

In order to help my fellow Muslims prepare themselves psychologically and not repeat the mistakes I made, I present to you ten things I feel every student of knowledge must know (in no particular order):

1. A few years of study does not make one a scholar:

Support MuslimMatters for Just $2 a Month

Too often, young Muslims study a few books or for a few years and then develop a “scholar” complex. They begin to force their opinions on others as if they can’t be wrong. They become intolerant to other views, and they write anybody off who disagrees with them as deviant.

We need to realize, before we even begin our journey of knowledge, that the sciences of Islam are many and deep; the variety of opinions in fiqh are multiple, and the chances of always being right are slim. I advise all of my fellow young Muslims to tread carefully, keep egos in check, approach differences with the possibility of being wrong, and never forget to say “Allah knows best”.

2. Manners come first:

In the past, most scholars would train their students in good manners before teaching them Islamic knowledge. Parents, too, would encourage their children to learn manners before the Islamic sciences.

Sadly, today many institutes do not teach good manners to their students, expecting them to automatically gain them through their study of Islam. This leads to Islamic teachers with bad manners, which in turn chases people away from Islam.

In this regard, anybody who is studying or teaching Islam must learn the proper manners of dealing with people, mercy, tolerance, and being non-judgmental and must possess a personality that attracts people; otherwise, we might do more harm than good.

3. Studying Islam does not make one immune to sin:

Some people have the misconception that if they study Islam, they will reach a level of piety from which they can’t slip. The reality is that Shaytan tries even harder to lead people of knowledge astray as it has a more detrimental effect on the community as a whole.

So instead of temptations growing less, they are more likely to increase and intensify as Shaytan tries to use every means at his disposal to lead us astray. We need to realize this, prepare for it, and never let our guard down as the Shayateen try very hard to make a knowledgeable Muslim fall astray.

4. People will judge you:

While we should not be judgmental to people as Islamic teachers, the reality is that people will still judge you. Many people are intimidated by practicing Muslims. When they see a practicing Muslim, they see their own flaws and deficiencies and so they search for fault in that individual. We should not be surprised if people judge our clothing, mannerisms or weaknesses; it is their way to try and console themselves or justify their sins. We need to always keep this in mind and be able to respond appropriately.

5. You represent your Faith:

When a person chooses to study Islam, especially once they earn a title, they automatically become a representation of the deen. When people see an Imam or a Shaykh, they expect to see a living example of Islam. If people see such a person sinning, they will either lose respect for him and become disillusioned about Islam, or they will take it as proof that it can’t be that big a sin. Either way, for an Islamic teacher, our lives represent our deen, so we should always be careful not to give a wrong impression of Islam.

6. You will be tested:

Undoubtedly, life is a test and every human is being tested all the time in different ways. However, one should not think that because one is studying Islam and teaching it, Allah will grant a life of ease and comfort. Rather, history proves that those closest to Allah are the most severely tested. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “The most severely tested people are the prophets, then those closest to them in piety then those closest to them.”

Be prepared to be tested and take it as a sign that Allah loves you and wants to test your love for Him. Remember that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “Whoever embarks on a path to study Islam has embarked on the path towards Paradise.” It is not the information alone that takes a person to Paradise; it is his fulfillment of its rights by understanding, practicing and preaching it to others and dealing with all the problems that go along with this that ultimately leads to Paradise.

7. Studying should not be an end; rather it should be a step to a higher goal:

I have met many Moulanas, Imams and Shaykhs with no goals or aspirations. Despite the ummah having so many issues that need dealing with, these men don’t seem to care. Upon further analysis, I realized that they set out to study with one of the following goals: to please their parents, to get a title, or to get the knowledge. Once they obtained the knowledge, they did not know or care about what to do next, so they carried along with their lives like donkeys carrying books.

Any person who studies Islam should be introspective and find a good motivation to study. Perhaps you would like to become a da’ee and a means of guidance for non-Muslims. Perhaps you would like to establish an Islamic centre in an area that needs one. Perhaps you would like become a mujtahid in a field that is lacking many quality scholars. Whatever you decide, it should be something noble that you wish to do for the sake of Allah after completing your studies. In short, studying should not be a goal but a means to help accomplish higher goals.

8. You can’t change everyone:

In life, we do not always get what we want. Similarly, in Islamic work things don’t always go our way. Remember that not everybody you meet will agree with you, listen to you or accept your message. Rather, there will always be people who will disagree with you or flat out reject you. This is reality and we have to be prepared for this by realizing guidance is only in Allah’s Hands, and we are only responsible for conveying the message.

9. You will make mistakes:

Many of us study Islam to make up for the sins of our past. Yet, being humans, we are never free from sins and mistakes and so some people become depressed and give up Islamic work when they realize that they are now knowledgeable but still occasionally fall into sin.

The truth is that the Shaytan wants us to quit and by doing so we are just playing into his hands, but Allah is Most Forgiving to those who repent. Every time you fall down and make a mistake, pick yourself back up, turn to Allah in repentance and try again to be a good Muslim, and never EVER allow your sins or mistakes stop you from doing Islamic work. Rather, it should motivate us to do more Islamic work so that our good deeds outweigh our sins on the Last Day.

10. The reward for studying and teaching Islam is worth it:

While most of the above make it seem like Islamic Work is a difficult field, that is not the purpose of this article. The purpose was solely to prepare for the many challenges and responsibilities we face while trying to serve Allah.

The reality is that the reward of dealing with all of the above is truly worth it, whether it is the rewards in this world or in the akhirah. As far as the akhirah goes, we know that the path of knowledge leads to Paradise but additional to that is the fact that insha’Allah you will get the rewards for the good deeds of those you teach or inspire to do good.

In this sense, it is one of the only good deeds we can do where the reward keeps multiplying. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “When a person dies, all their deeds end except three: charity which continues to benefit, knowledge he left behind which people benefit from, and righteous children who pray for him.”

As far as this world goes, the greatest reward an Islamic worker can receive in this world is seeing the fruits of his efforts. When a person tells you they changed and became a better Muslim because of your influence or when a person takes their shahadah at your hands, there is no feeling equal to it, and any sacrifice you have being through for the deen feels worth it.

So, my beloved brothers and sisters, let us study Islam, seeking its rewards yet knowing the responsibilities and trials that go along with it. I wrote this firstly as a reminder to myself as well as to anybody else involved in the field of Islamic Studies. May Allah keep us all steadfast on His deen. Ameen.

Support Our Dawah for Just $2 a Month

Ismail Kamdar, a.k.a Abu Muawiyah, is the Head Tutorial Assistant of the Islamic Online University, and the host of Living Islam on Radio Al-Ansaar. He began his study of Islam at the age of thirteen, and has completed both the Alim course and a BA in Islamic Studies. He is the author of multiple books including Having Fun the Halal Way: Entertainment in Islam, Getting The Barakah: An Islamic Guide to Time Management and Best of Creation: An Islamic Guide to Self-Confidence.

Muhammad

March 16, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Jazakallahu Khairan for this advice. I really appreciate this. May Allah accept this and give you more good deeds as a result of it.

Iman

March 16, 2011 at 1:20 AM

This is quite possibly the shallowest writing I’ve ever seen on this website. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about your past and make generalizations based on it.

Yahya Ibrahim

March 16, 2011 at 5:34 AM

Bismillah,

I re-read the article after reading your comment. I can not reconcile your coment with the article.

Please re read it again with less emphasis on who the author is and more on what the overall message is calling to.

yahya

Ismail Kamdar

March 16, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Barakallah Feek Shaykh

Cartoon M.

March 16, 2011 at 9:53 AM

4. People will judge you hehe

JazakAllah for sharing what your learned from your experience brotha! I thought #7 was especially important, even when we’re talking about other fields.

Umm Aman

March 16, 2011 at 10:07 AM

bismillairRahmanirRaheem
      assalamu alaikkum warahmathullahi wabarakathuhu,

On the contrary to what u have said above, i thought that this is one of the best articles as each pointer the author has given is absolutely true and what most of the students of knowledge go through.
      May Allah,subhanata’ala reward all those who work in His cause immensely and keep all of us in the straight path.

-umm aman

MR

March 16, 2011 at 2:29 PM

This comment just proved the necessity of articles like these.

Jamshed

March 17, 2011 at 1:00 PM

I just wanted to echo what the others have mentioned… your comment seems to bear no relation to the article. I found it to be quite accurate myself, and I’ve seen people fall into the traps that it highlights many times.

Nur

June 13, 2011 at 12:41 AM

I would love to read your article iman. You seem to know what would be the best advice to give students of knowledge. Alhamdulillah

Huda Abdi

April 26, 2016 at 1:37 PM

Jazak allah Khayr, this is exactly what I needed to read…..May Allah SWT multiply your efforts

Fahd Abdal Wahhab

March 16, 2011 at 1:45 AM

As Salaam Alaykum,

Greatly appreciate this article. I’m a new Muslim and though, not yet a full fledged student of knowledge, I’m putting up an effort to learn, Alhamdulillah. Therefore, I can totally relate to your points here. May Allah’s mercy and blessings be upon you and may Allah make it easy for you. May Allah bless us all with beneficial knowledge.

salih

March 16, 2011 at 1:47 AM

MashaAllah! I like this article very much because the author speaks the truth. Many times, muslims can’t differentiate between literacy and scholarship. When this happened, ignorance take over.

Aisha

March 16, 2011 at 3:07 AM

Very good one !! Masha Allah. We should read this article EVERY day to remind ourselves.

Sister

March 16, 2011 at 6:53 AM

Jazakallahu khairaan kaseera brother ..Mashaallah .One of the best article. One of the biggest blessing from Allah subahanawtala is understanding of the deen . If you are a student of ilm ,never ever take this naima [blessing ] lightly..

Khader Ali Khan

March 16, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Salam Alaikum Br. Ismail,

Good article… may Allah reward you. How do you manage to do so many things?

Ismail Kamdar

March 16, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Wa Alaikum Salaam Akhi Khader

I can give a few pointers:

1. Make time to fulfill the rights of everyone
      2. Plan yourself and make a schedule
      3. Make dua for barakah in time
      4. Make time for fun and relaxing but stick to your times

Allah knows best

forever a student of Islam

March 16, 2011 at 8:37 AM

subhanaAllah such a truthful and beautiful article. jazakaAllah kul khair for taking the time and effort in opening the eyes of those who are studying the Deen, those who will study the Deen and those who are not studying at all but try to be good Muslims.

Aly B - DiscoMaulvi

March 16, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Assalamu’Alaikum:

Jazak’Allah Khairin for this. I can relate to this article and it serves as a reminder to monitor oneself from falling into these “traps”.

-Aly

____________________________________________________________
    The DiscoMaulvi Page : http://www.facebook.com/DiscoMaulvi
    DiscoMaulvi on Twitter : http://www.twitter.com/DiscoMaulvi
    DiscoMaulvi’s Blog : http://discomaulvi.wordpress.com/

Syed J.

March 16, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Assalam alaikum,

I guess we can add these two also:

1. The knowledge you have gained is not something you own but it was something that was GIVEN to you.

2. Humble one’s self, as that is a KEY for true people of knowledge.

And Allah SWT Knows Best.

Ismail Kamdar

March 17, 2011 at 4:28 AM

Wa Alaikum Salaam

Jazakallah Khair for these. They are also very important.

ghabe

March 16, 2011 at 10:24 AM

– a very good reminder

Mehdi Sheikh

March 16, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Alhamdulillah very nice article.

and No. 1 is indeed the most important. I see many people who have studied overseas and gotten a few degrees who love to show themselves off as “scholars” even though they are just “students of knowledge”. Even Shaykh Abdul Muhsin Abbaad said regarding those who graduate from Madeenah that they are to be considered only beginners on the path to knowledge. Yet I see people satisfied when others call them “Shaykh” and scholars which only increases their arrogance and riyaa.

The primary objective of these “tullabul ilm” and “daees” apart from teaching people the basics of the deen is to be mere signposts to the real scholars of Islaam. There are no scholars in the West and we should not delude ourselves into thinking so.

Mansoor Ansari

March 16, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Awesome, I really enjoyed & benefited from this article.

nayma

March 16, 2011 at 1:10 PM

An article full of wisdom. Jazak Allahu Khairan. I will definitely share it.

15. Pingback: Wisdom versus Knowledge

A Muslimah

March 16, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Jazak Allah khair. Excellent reminders.

Tariq Ahmed

March 16, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Point 8 cannot be overstated:

None of us actually guides anyone. If we, or even our arguments, were what guides people then repeating the best arguments should always work. But Allah reminds us (eg surah al layl) “inna alayna lalhuda.”

The most a student of knowledge can be is a good reminder: well mannered, strong of character, mind, and body — and thus a good conveyor of dawah and naseeha.

If there is a good reciprocal for point 8, for the person who has cultivated patience: “only Allah decides when someone has had enough reminders or opportunities to repent.” If you truly wish good for the person to whom you give dawah or naseeha, then realize that today’s denier of the deen may be tomorrow’s reviver of Islam. it helps to remember and be grateful to Allah for His patience with you during your own weakness(es).

someone

March 17, 2011 at 12:50 PM

great comment…mashallah fantastic insight

Abdur Rahman100

March 16, 2011 at 8:39 PM

i think it would have been beneficial if there was a reminder for the dangers of Riya (showing off).
    Otherwise good article

Ismail Kamdar

March 17, 2011 at 4:31 AM

You are right, I should have mentioned Riya specifically.

Although the first point does deal with Riya, it would have been better to mention it by name as it is one of the major diseases that students of knowledge can easily fall into.

Ahmad

March 16, 2011 at 8:57 PM

As Salaamu Alaikum Sheikh,

This is by far one of the best articles in recent times published at muslimmatters. Your lessons hit me right in the heart, and I felt some parts of my life being reflected in these words. I am by no means a scholar, not even that good of a student of knowledge. I try, but have the capacity to do more…and May Allah guide us all and unlock for us the strength and endurance to learn and strive for the truth as he unlocked these abilities for the nabi’s, and the saliheen of the past.

I have one question regarding this article. On number4 you said that we would be judged. Subhanallah, your explanation popped right out of the paper, and I felt it in my life. When I started to practice Islam (as before religion was not a concern of mine) my family first of all started to judge me. My family saw me keeping a beard, and they saw me reading qur’an late into the night – and all of a sudden I became sort of an outcast. More ofen than not my parents would tell me to shut of the lectures, as they were effecting my studies (which they were not as my grades were fine) and they told me to stop going to the masjid so often as it was effecting my studies (again, my grades were fine)…and it was okay until I once, just once, never after that – I told my sister who is in her mid twenties, “aapi (as we call sisters in our language) allah commands the believing muslim women to cover themselves, (i.e. Hijaab).” The words were not even completely out of my mouth that I heard a barrage of judgement. “You’re not perfect. Look at all your mistakes. You are this and you are that. You don’t at once always listen to your parents (which is for a small part a true statement yet I am trying.) She goes on…” How many verses does Allah balance, and you aren’t you becoming extreme? You think you’re a know it all now? How much of that do you follow? Don’t talk about religion to me! If I want to learn more about it, I will go research it myself.” I promise by Allah that this is a lot of my recollection of what she said. My parents whom may Allah bless with al Firdaus, were also a little judgmental. He, my father told me, Son – you speak a lot about what you don’t know. I used to be part of tabligh, and I have seen those maulanas to whom you listen to in all those lectures. On one hand they speak nice – but they are lying, mean people. They will tell you to do good, but do evil themselves. My father, may Allah bless him, is in his 60’s and comes from a gangster part of the world where he has nearly been killed many times – in part because of some corrupt maulanas, and people he used to hang with. Now he paints all those “sheikhs, and maulanas” with the same “gangster” picture.

Anyways, I know that this is a long post, and I am sorry for that, but for number 4 you mentioned we should deal appropriately with this judgement. That is really bugging me, because I would love to know what and how a student of knowledge should deal with judgement – especially from those closest to us. This is especially important since many of our parents are immigrants to this country who fled the in essence corrupt muslim rule of other countries. Now they stray from their deen after coming to this country, and judge those reverting to their deen as extremist – or hypocrites. How should we deal with them, sheikh? Please if you find the time – reply, as this would greatly benefit me, and some other people. Once again, may Allah bless you for this article – it is a wonderful reminder, and may Allah bless me, you, and the believing men and women with Jannatul Firdaus, the best of the best of Jannah.

Hira

March 17, 2011 at 5:06 AM

Salaam

Excellent article- and subhan Allah all the points were great but number 4 especially hit me too. I think this is a similar case across the board when one family member becomes practicing the other members start to judge. In my opinion being judged by outsiders is soo much easier to deal with but when it is your family it really hurts. Recently a member of my family told me to be “take my hijab off and lead a normal life!”

I have found that the best dawa with family is to be an example rather than verbal preaching.

I think it would be great to have more detailed articles based around these points insha Allah.

ws

Ismail Kamdar

March 18, 2011 at 4:20 AM

Wa Alaikum Salaam

I agree with Hira.

When it comes to family, it is best to first lead by example. Many of us make the mistake that when we first start practicing, we become harsh towards family members who do not, this just makes things worse, chases them away and makes them think that Islam makes peopel harsh and rude.

Rather our practice of the Deen should increase our good manners and kindness towards them.

Be a role model, and find wise and friendly ways to get your message across to them without coming across as judgemental. The book “Enjoy Your Life” by Shaykh Muhammad Al-Arifi is a good guide on how to do so, you can find it online by clicking here.

Chocolate Addict

March 17, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Jazakum Allahu khayran…a very thoughful,educational and enjoyable read :)
    @Iman plz reread the “Manners come first” bit then try again

Javed

March 17, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Jazak Allah Khair Ustad Ismail,

Excellent article. A must read for all students of ilm. May Allah make us all humble in the path of ilm and sincierly work for His sake while being patient with the tests along the way. Ameen.

Rafia

March 17, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Masha Allah! Sheer words of wisdom! May Allah reward you.

Ismail Kamdar

March 18, 2011 at 4:21 AM

Jazakallah Khair to everyone for your kind comments. :)

F.

March 18, 2011 at 12:49 PM

A Really Good Article, masha Allah. may Allah accept it from u. I found the first three points the most beneficial.

Just one thing though: Didn’t really like the point 7. Referring to moulanas, shaikhs as “donkeys” carrying books. If not only being disrespectful, that’s kind of being judgmental about them. And as far as I know the purpose/intention behind seeking knowledge should be the worship of Allah…

baarak Allahu feekum. please remember me in ur du’a. may Allah guide me and all muslims. ameen.

Ismail Kamdar

March 22, 2011 at 4:40 AM

The comment about donkeys carrying books was referring to Surah Jumuah (62:5) in which Allah describes those who know the Torah but do not practice or preach it to be like donkeys carrying books, the same applies for anyone with religious knowledge who does not benefit from it. So this was not meant to offend anyone, rather it was meant to be a warning to myself and other students not to go against this Qur’anic warning.

Noor

March 18, 2011 at 2:06 PM

بسم الله رحمن رحيم
    أسلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

We must remember that علم belongs to الله alone & what ever man acquires is بي إذن الله
    In that case what right has man to be haughty!!
    If Khidr AS said that his knowledge is not even as much as the drop of water held in the beak of a bird & remembering that الله S W T sent His Prophet Musa A S to seek knowledge from him
    How humble should we be!!!

Noor

March 18, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Isn’t حكمة wisdom?
    علم is knowledge

Lemon

March 18, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Barak Allahu Feek, great article.

Hussain

March 18, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Jazakallah Khair for sharing the article.
    Insha Allah, it will be beneficial for all brothers and sisters

ahsan ali

March 18, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Important Points particularly point no. 1, may Allah keep students of knowledge on correct islamic intentions. Also, since students of knowledge are more susceptible to satanic traps, one has to elevate themselves more than before (when they were not a student of knowledge) and keep on guard

shiney

March 25, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Jazakallah Khair for this wonderful article! i was really in need of it. May Allah Bless you for sharing your expreiences and advice. May Allah make us all learn from our past mistakes and may He make us sincere seekers and protectors of authentic knowledge. Ameen.

Amina

March 28, 2011 at 6:02 AM

JazaakAllahu khairan. A timely reminder indeed!

Ismail Kamdar

March 29, 2011 at 2:05 AM

I have written in details about point number two last year.

Here is the link:

omar

March 29, 2011 at 3:26 AM

great article mashallah barakallah feekum all
    good points to ponder about as students of knowledge

BintMohammad

April 1, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Jazakallah Kheyran & Allah Barik Fyka for such an informative article. May the Almighty Allah grant us Goodness & in this Life & Hear after & May he Grant you more knowledge to guide us . Amin

35. Pingback: Top Ten Things Every Student of Knowledge Should Know

Abdur Rahman Ridwan

June 6, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Salam Alaikum. Brother ismail kamdar. Really love your articles. They are so informative and inspiring. May Allah Azza Wajjal enrich you with more authentic knowledge and make it of benefit to yourself first for this world and the hereafter and make it of benefit to Muslims.

zainab Ho

March 13, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Jazakallah khair wa ameen!
    ‘Allāh loves you and wants to test your love for Him’ – really love this!

Ashaazi

March 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Assalamulaikum Sheikh Ismail,A very thoughtful article that resonates with many of us. May Allah grant us all guidance. Aameen.

Taha fatima

April 8, 2012 at 9:53 AM

JAZAK ALLAHU KHAIR shaikh very nice article..thanx for your advice

Afreen

April 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM

jazakallah khair very nice n informative alhamdullilah…..

Nazakat

May 5, 2012 at 4:56 AM

its really nice site to help not only students but to all Muslims in general. MASHALLAH, JAZAKOMULLAH, …but is there any way to propagate and project this side to as many Muslim as we can …so that every body could be benefited of it…..i think it should be advertised on all major websites which are visited the most on daily bases.

Naz khan(pakistan)

May 5, 2012 at 5:03 AM

gr8 work done! MASHALLAH ..The Mukharij topic really helped me to good extent but..i think the way English phonetics worked out …we need to work more on ARABIC mukharij…the pronunciation of arabic alphabets in sounds and with different words is not available. one can understand the it may take time…never the less its good initiative. i want udru mukharij …or udu pronunciation….can any one help me out???

Naz_khan(pakistan)

May 5, 2012 at 5:04 AM

urdu mukharij …urdu pronunciation…..yes

44. Pingback: 11// Top Ten Things Every Student of Knowledge Should Know | YouthofHopeMY

Muna Bushra

November 24, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Interesting article with many good tips to remember.

Your akh

December 21, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Assalaamu ‘alaykum. Jazaakallaahu khair for the informative article and may Allaah make it an evidence for you on the Day of Judgement.

I just wanted to add and ask – financial stability is pretty hard to maintain when seeking knowledge and teaching and this is a big put off for many people I know. How do the students of knowledge and daa’ees provide for themselves and their families given that they’ve only studied Islaam? We know that Allaah provides from where we do not expect if we fear him and keep our duty to him but how do these daa’ees provide for themselves if Islaam is all they have studied?

Baarakallaahu feekum.

ADAM SHAABAN

December 15, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Dawud :: Book 41 : Hadith 4862
    Narrated AbuBarzah al-Aslami:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: O community of people, who believed by their tongue, and belief did not enter their hearts, do not back-bite Muslims, and do not search for their faults, for if anyone searches for their faults, Allah will search for his fault, and if Allah searches for the fault of anyone, He disgraces him in his house.

reem

January 24, 2014 at 4:09 AM

Ma sha Allah..Jazakalllah khair for such an informative article..May Allah grant us beneficial knowledge..Ameen

Musleh Khan

September 20, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Fantastic article. Allah swt reward you. Please keep writing more. Very beneficial.

Kahan.

May 11, 2016 at 3:21 AM

I have seen many shuyuk, imams etc comment so i am hoping to get a response from them. I study at a western university in Australia and am studying a BA. of Islamic studies. One day, someone told me that “you are not going to become a scholar, your just an academic, your input to the deen is not one that is weighted”. this got me kind of confused. and i was wondering, where is the dichotomy in what i study with the traditional student in the madrassa? Isn’t it enough for me to study all of the Usuls, advanced usuls, advanced arabic grammar, reading, writing, Fiqh, Sirah, Mantiq, Family law, etc? how does one test the veracity of my knowledge in comparison to the one who studies abroad in the lands were islam is prominent? I mean, i have one day in my weak called “Arabic day”, tuesday, because in the mornings i will have my arabic classes at university, and at night i would have my arabic classes at the local madrasa. please keep in mind all of my lecturers are Muslim.
    i’d really like your thoughts (O respected shuyuk and imams) on studying Islam in the west.

Kahan.

May 11, 2016 at 3:25 AM

i would also like to add that i most definitely plan on doing a masters of islamic studies and then seeing where i take it from there. i will never consider myself even a up-and-coming scholar or a academic until a minimum of 6 consecutive years has passed with me studying the deen. may allah reward the composer of this article, it really hit home.

30 Khawaatir in 30 Days- A Parent’s Guide | Day 10: The Dua’ of Umm Salama

Now that we have learnt about a good word, let’s talk about the dua’ of Umm Salama.

Today I’m going to share with you a story of a very important woman in Islamic history named Umm Salama raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her). She was a female companion, which means she was a sahaabiya (female companion)

Umm Salama raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) was one of the first people to embrace Islam and she was one of the few Muslims who actually performed the hijrah twice.

Question: Who can tell me what a hijrah is?

Support MuslimMatters for Just $2 a Month

A hijrah is when someone leaves a place they are in for the sake of Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He). The first hijrah was to Ethiopia, where a just Christian ruler named Najashi took in a group of Muslims and took good care of them.

So Umm Salama raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) and Abu Salama raḍyAllāhu 'anhu (may Allāh be pleased with him) went to Ethiopia. After some time living there, they really wanted to go back to Mecca so that they could be next to the Prophet Muhammad ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) and learn everything about Islam. As they waited patiently, news traveled all the way to Africa saying that the Muslims were no longer getting persecuted because Umar ibn al-Khattab raḍyAllāhu 'anhu (may Allāh be pleased with him) and Hamza raḍyAllāhu 'anhu (may Allāh be pleased with him), the uncle of the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him), had embraced Islam.

Umm Salama raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) and Abu Salama raḍyAllāhu 'anhu (may Allāh be pleased with him) decided to return back to Mecca, and when they did, they realized that it was only a rumor and that the Muslims were still being tortured by Quraysh. So, when the Prophet Muhammad ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) instructed all of the Muslims of Mecca to leave to Madina for the second hijrah, they wasted no time getting ready.

Question: Do you see how they were so active and didn’t take their Islam for granted?

As Umm Salama raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) was about to mount her camel, her tribe, the Banu Makhzum, came and told Abu Salama raḍyAllāhu 'anhu (may Allāh be pleased with him) that they would not allow him to take Umm Salama raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) to Madina. Then Abu Salama’s tribe, the Banu Asad, takes Salama, his child, away.  Abu Salama raḍyAllāhu 'anhu (may Allāh be pleased with him) could not defend himself against all of these men, so he sets off to Madina.

In just one day Umm Salama raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) lost her husband and her child, and she suffers so much because of it. She is in a lot of pain. After some time her cousin starts to feel sorry for her and speaks to the tribes on her behalf. He is then able to reunite her with her son. Then after a year of waiting, Umm Salama raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) is finally able to meet her husband in Madina.

Abu Salama raḍyAllāhu 'anhu (may Allāh be pleased with him) was known to be a very caring husband and courageous man. He fought in the Battle of Badr as well as in the Battle of Uhud. In Uhud, he received a wound that he wasn’t able to recover from.

Umm Salama raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) was so sad the day Abu Salama raḍyAllāhu 'anhu (may Allāh be pleased with him) died, but the Prophet Muhammad ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) taught her to recite a beautiful dua’:

إِنَّا لله وإنا إليه راجعون اللهم أجرني في مصيبتي وأخلف لي خيرا منها

“We belong to Allah and to Allah is our return. Oh Allah, reward me for my calamity, and replace my loss with something better.”

Umm Salama raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) recited this dua’, but in her mind she thought, “Who can be better than Abu Salama raḍyAllāhu 'anhu (may Allāh be pleased with him)?”

After a few months passed, Umar ibn al-Khattab raḍyAllāhu 'anhu (may Allāh be pleased with him) proposed to Umm Salama raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her), but she said no.

Then, Abu Bakr raḍyAllāhu 'anhu (may Allāh be pleased with him) proposed to Umm Salama raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her), but again she said no.

Then, the Prophet Muhammad ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) proposed to Umm Salama raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her) and she accepted. So now, she was not only the mother of Salama, but the mother of all of the believers until the end of time!

Support Our Dawah for Just $2 a Month

Inspiration and Spirituality

Podcast: Ramadan Reset | Shaykh Aleaddin Elbakri

As Ramadan ends, it is time to begin the rest of the year. Even if your Ramadan hasn’t been great so far, you can still make it good. As long as you’re breathing, the door of repentance is open.

Support Our Dawah for Just $2 a Month

Al-Shafi, the Healer

Al Shafi

Translated from the book, “Because You are Allah” by Ali ibn Jabir Al-Feefi

Have pains exhausted you? Has illness made you see life in a darkened hue?

Do you hate returning to doctors? And are tired of walking in the hallways of hospitals, and the names of clinics, dates of visits and faces of sick people become blurry in your mind?

Support MuslimMatters for Just $2 a Month

Then how would you like me to cleanse your soul from its weight and fatigue?

It is the name of Allah, Al-Shafi (The Healer)!

Allow for yourself, though exhausted, to catch your breath for a moment to read about this merciful name.  This name after which you experience its shade will understand how much you are in need of it, and how far you were from it!

There is no illness after today

Al-Shafi is one of His names that we praise Him for.  We praise Him for naming Himself with this name, and that He described Himself with the description of healing although He alone is the one who heals the bodies of His servants.

Illness in the life of a person is an event that happens recurringly, with varying pains, many forms, and is hardly avoided by anyone at any time.  We transition from one pain to the next; from headaches to fatigue, from fever to aches in our joints and bodies etc.  And even if a person is healthy in themselves, they see their brother in pain, or their mother in tears or their beloved ill.

This life is a real of illness, pain, and sighs.  Due to that, Allah named Himself Al-Shafi, that your pains prostrate in the temple of His Mercy, and that your suffering reverses itself at the doorstep of His Ability.

Allah decreed that the light of life in our bodies dims every once in a while through illness, that we acknowledge our weakness and that we have no strength and no power.

Allah decreed illness so that a person remembers something similar to this illness, and that is death! Just as illness is the end of liveliness, death is the end of life!

Your reality is death, and everything in you and around you resembles death.  Your sleep is death, your illness is death, your transitioning from one stage of life to another is death! For your youth is the death of your childhood, and your old age is the death of your youth, so much of you has died already, and hence you resemble death more than you resemble life.  We still however delude ourselves into thinking we are eternal and so illness screams at our bodies, informing them that they will come to an end!

Because He is Al-Shafi

He heals you with a cause…
He heals you with the smallest cause…

He heals you with the most unique cause…
He heals you with something not considered a cause…

He heals you with no cause…

He heals with herbs, He heals with simple or compounded medicines, He heals with nutrition, He heals with water…

And from the most amazing things that I read was a child who was stricken with tuberculosis at a time when it meant certain death.  After doctors confirmed his bleak future they permitted his parents to take him back to the countryside where he would be able to live out what remained of his days in his natural environment.  While the boy was walking with cookies in his hand he met a man who with piercing eyes asked him, “My son, do you want to live?” The boy responded that he did to which the man said, “How can you live when you are eating food that is dead? Eat foods that have life, meat and vegetables and everything that God created naturally and still has the traces of dust and life on them!

The child, Gayelord Hauser,  took that man’s advice and began to only eat natural foods only and with time was able to return to the doctors to find them shocked that he had been healed completely.  The child would tell his story throughout the United States and become one of the pioneers of the natural food movement.

Yes, the doctors declared him to be terminally ill, but the King of Kings did not decree that!  The doctors expected for his life to end in the countryside but Allah did not intend that!

You don’t know!

Who is the one who placed secrets of healing in plants and herbs and other things that can be accessed by the poorest people on earth? It is Allah, Al-Shafi

It may be that you are afflicted with disease, and you don’t know and you eat food that causes you an ailment while you are unaware, and you eat food that has your cure and you are still unaware, and so you become ill and healed while being unaware of both!

Allah may place His healing in water, and we all know “the water of zamzam is for whatever you drink it for.” And the prophet said that it is nourishing healing food.  And how many an ill person had healed by continuously drinking this blessed water by the permission of Allah.

And other than that Allah has placed healing in cow milk, the black seed, honey, the night prayer, charity, istighfar, tawbah, du’a and much more.  He also heals with nothing!

The Light Returns

In the hospital of Al-Malik Abdul Aziz in Tabuk  a man entered into the office of religious affairs with the traces of worry and panic evident on his face.  When we asked him what was wrong he stated that his son is on the top floor having been in an accident and is now blind!

I remember the panic that I felt when I heard that, what then about the shock of the parent?

He said with hope, “I want one of you to come with me and recite ruqya on my son, asking Allah to heal him.”

My friend got up immediately and went with him.  After an hour he returned and informed me that he had performed ruqya on him and then spoke with the father, advising him to be patient, and told him of the hadith, “heal your sick with charity” (Tabarani).  The father than extracted from his pocket five hundred riyal and said to him, “Give this in charity with the intention of healing my son.”

After two days the man returned and requested my friend to accompany him.  My friend returned a short while after saying “la ilaha illa Allah!” I have good news, the boy can now see some of the light in the room!” He then told me that his father gave him one thousand riyals to give in charity.  After two more days my friend was taken by the boy’s father to his room again, and I did not believe when my friend told me that the boy could now see as well as before!

Who is the one who returned his sight? Who is the one healed him? His command is only when He intends a thing that He says to it, “Be,” and it is.” (Yaseen v. 82)

Glory be to the One who said to his sight, ‘return!” and it returned.

Return to Him

He doesn’t want anything other than you returning to Him.  That you seek out the path that leads to Him. Return to Him with contentment. Return to Him with prostration.  Return to Him with repentance.  Return to Him seeking forgiveness.  Return to Him with charity.  Return to Him with confession.

Knock on His door and then wait for healing.

There is no hospital in the world that will heal you if Allah does not will it.

There is no doctor in the world that can diagnose your illness, except if Allah wills that.

A wealthy man travels with his family to Egypt for a kidney transplant.  His family had agreed with a young girl to give their father a kidney in return for one hundred thousand riyals.  In the morning all of them were in the hospital and the man desired to meet the girl who would be donating a kidney to save his life.  He asked her what caused her to to donate her kidney to an old man like him to which she stated,

“I’m in need.  My family is poor and my siblings are in college, and I have to do something to help them!”

It was as if she slapped him! She awoke him from a deep sleep that made him forget his illness.  He asked himself, “Is it comprehensible that a person would give up a part of themselves just so that they can eat, just so that they can live!

He immediately summoned his family and informed them that they would be returning back to Saudi Arabia because he had canceled his plans for the kidney transplant! He also informed them that the amount that was agreed on would be given as a charity to the girl, and that they not decrease it by a single riyal!

And after resistance from his family, and anger from some of them they submitted to the will of their father.  After his return to Saudi Arabia and to his hospital for dialysis and to the doctors shock and surprise his kidney was now fully functional

Inscribe this verse in your heart

Whatever Allah grants to people of mercy – none can withhold it” (Fatir v. 2)

Underline this

The father of the prophets, Ibrahim 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him), taught every believer a lesson to not seek help from other than the Living, the one who does not die;

“And when I am sick, He is the One who heals me.”

He alone and no one else. Underline this. You will not need other than Him if He wills to heal you, and no one will benefit you otherwise if He doesn’t.

And Ayub 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him), who is exhausted by years of illness that scattered his family and his wealth, and when the most optimistic of people has lost hope in him ever healing though he was patient and expectant of Allah’s reward.  His body is ravaged by disease and he at last with a head and heart that is turned towards his Lord says,

“I have been touched by harm, and You are the Most Merciful of those who show mercy.”

And the doors of the heavens are opened with mercy..

And the command descends from above the seventh heaven for this burdened soul…

In a moment the healing begins, and the years of toil are reversed..

Why would you seek other than Him?

It is as if through the illness Allah is reminding you, “return to me, just as I am the One who created you from nothing, I am the One who can remove this illness from your body.”

Contentment

If you are pleased with Him He will please you.

Illness is from the most severe tests of contentment and so if your responses to it are content then in sha Allah your results will be praiseworthy in sha Allah.

Some may ask: how can I be content with illness when it comes with pain that is naturally hated? How can I be pleased with something that I hate?

Ibn Al-Qayyim responds to this by saying, “There is no contradiction in that, for the person is content from the aspect of journeying to what He loves, and hates it from the aspect of it being painful to them, like a bitter medicine that they know has healing for them, so there is the combination of being pleased with it, and hating it”

Make this your constant companion, “I am pleased with Allah as my Lord, Islam as my religion and Muhammad sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam as my prophet.” Make your heart pulse with contentment, make it taste its sweetness, and reflect on your body, and you will see the pulse of healing beat through it in sha Allah.

Make your illness the beginning of a new covenant through which you will get to know your Lord through His Name, Al-Shafi.

The destruction of sins

This isn’t the first time you’ve ever been sick.  You’ve been sick before right? Many times even.  Who is the One who healed you? Wasn’t it Allah? Why then feel like this sickness in particular is too much for Him? Feeling that way about the AlMighty is a disease of the heart, so dispel the disease that has taken root in your heart first, and then look to Al-Shafi to heal you.

All of those ill in the hospitals are waiting for healing from Al-Shafi.  There is not a sigh that you exhale except that He hears it, no pain except that He is aware of it…

Build in your heart a hospital named ‘Prostration Place’, make an appointment with prostration and record the doctor’s name in your heart, “Al-Shafi”

Oh Allah You are Al-Shafi, prescribe Your Healing on every burdened soul,  every battered body, and every exhausted heart.

Support Our Dawah for Just $2 a Month