Inspiration and Spirituality

Training Yourself to Wake Up in the Early Morning & Fajr Prayer

Last June, Muslim Matters asked the following poll question: Did you pray fajr this morning? More than 600 people responded, with more than one-third saying they did not.

Truly from the blessings of Allah is that before I became Muslim, several experiences in my childhood served as such beautiful and potent early morning wakeup training. Unbeknowst to me at the time, these habits cultivated early in life would later be utilized for waking up for fajr prayer. Thus, within Islam, I’ve not found much difficulty waking up for the early morning prayer,masha’Allah tabarak’Allah.

Hot chocolate in my pink bunny rabbit bottle

Among my earliest memories of life in upstate New York was of my father grading his students’ exam essay blue books in the early morning hours. My dad would wake up around 2 or 3am to resume the monumental task of grading stacks and stacks of blue books. He would warm up hot water in the kettle on the stove and I would wake up with the whistling of the kettle. Even then, I was somewhat of a light sleeper, I would wake up, crawl out of bed in my footsie pajamas and go join him in the kitchen. While he made himself some tea or coffee, he would make me some hot chocolate and pour it into my beloved pink bunny rabbit bottle. I can’t remember how old I was but I clearly younger than four as I had not yet started kindergarten. I would drink my bottle of hot chocolate and then wander back to my room to sleep until morning.

Find a job that requires you to rise early

Growing up, my siblings and I shared a paper route. I was the youngest and joined my siblings in delivering newspapers when I was 8 or 9 years old in the third grade and continued for another five years until I found a more lucrative and less taxing babysitting job just before high school. Our father would wake us up at 4:30am or earlier every single day, 365 days a year, in winter and summer, spring and fall, during the school year, in any weather no matter how adverse, through snow, blizzards, and rain the newspapers had to be delivered. When all four of us kids worked the route, we had one rest day off every third day but soon it was just my sister Chika and I and so we worked the route daily without breaks except for the occasional summer or winter vacation.

Even after I stopped working the paper route, I often still continued to wake up at 3:30-4:30am to listen to international news on the BBC or Deutsche Welle (DW) or a French broadcast on the local public radio station. I think we find it easy to wake up for worldly matters from work to early morning flights to watching international sporting events because we attach an immediate tangible benefit to that task. Earning money, the thrill of competition, and with airplane flights the pain, hassle, and cost of missing a flight helps ensure we do our best to make the flight on time. For me, the salah is a retreat, precious moments of peace and calming tranquility amidst the storms and stress of daily life. And I fully believe that matters are made easier for me by virtue of the salah and other acts of worship.

Increase in the Fear of Allah

I mentioned this story, a couple weeks ago, here. I remember once shortly after I converted, I stayed up quite late into the night, which was not at all unusual, filled with that new convert zeal and engrossed in reading and learning about my newfound religion. Either I forgot to set my alarm or did not hear it, and I woke up for the first time in a state of complete fear and panic in brightness of the morning. I quickly rushed to make my ablutions so that I could offer my fajr prayer. I prayed hurriedly and then checked the time and to my amazement saw that I had not missed the salah and was still within the timing before sunrise. But I did not feel relieved. I had cried while making my ablutions and while praying and even after I completed the prayer fearful of the consequences of missing a single salah in Islam. Such innocence and hopefully sincerity, one can only look back in silent wonder at that time period so eager, earnest, and blissfully unaware of what lay in store on this journey of submission.

At that time, I remembered a hadith where the companions had overslept for a prayer and they looked upward toward the heavens fearful that destruction might rain down upon them for this singular act of disobedience and I too fearfully looked upward. Thankfully, Allah is Most Merciful and I didn’t miss that salah and Allah has made it easy for me to guard the prayer since then,masha’Allah tabarak’Allah. May we be from amongst those who guard the salah in our lives. Ameen.

Driving or Walking to Fajr in a Mosque

I did not learn to drive until after I became Muslim and among the chief motivating factors pushing me to learn was my desire to attend the mosque for prayer because where I lived, public transportation would not be able to get me to the mosques in the area, especially not for fajr or isha prayer. Soon after I purchased my first car, I think the very next day, I woke up early, googled the directions and was off to begin visiting various mosques for fajr prayer. I loved those quiet early morning drives and loved the feeling of praying in congregation in the mosque listening attentively to the imam recite verses from the Quran. Sometimes, usually on the weekend there would be a short lecture after the salah and soon it became my habit to frequently pray in the mosque especially for fajr and isha prayers.

Even happier was the year I lived within walking distance to a mosque. I would walk in the dark to the salah, often I was the only woman there but occasionally I met some other sisters who would become my dear and expected fajr companions. Now, I still live relatively close to a mosque but it’s become like a man-cave not very welcoming to sisters and so I miss those feelings of praying in congregation. One of the beautiful things about making a commitment to pray in the mosque is that it requires you to organize your day in such a way that you must plan to leave with enough time to reach the mosque before the salah so that you neither delay nor miss the prayer.

Once when I prayed fajr at the Prince George’s Muslim Association (PGMA) in Lanham, Maryland, I was the only woman in the pink musalla, the men were in a separate musalla, and I heard a loud crashing noise. A piece of the ceiling had come down due to heavy rains over the previous few days. I thought about the khushu (humilty and concentration) mentioned concerning some Muslims from the early generations, who would not be distracted from their prayer even as they were afflicted by some harm or the building began to collapse around them. May we increase in our khushu. After the salah, I ventured into the no-woman’s land of the main prayer hall to let someone know about the situation. (pictures of the ceiling tile here)

Ify Okoye is a Muslim woman, a convert, born and raised in the U.S. She is from New York and her parents are from Nigeria. Despite the petty hassles of work and school, Ify finds time to travel usually for AlMaghrib Institute seminars and to visit beautiful places. Pronunciation primer for her name, say it like this: E-fee O-coy-yeah!

1. Pingback: Training Yourself to Wake Up in the Early Morning & Fajr Prayer « Ify Okoye

Muslima

August 22, 2016 at 10:51 PM

Thank you, Sister, for such useful advice. May Allah reward you and your loved ones. Assalaam alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu.

Abdullah Osman

March 9, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Good tips and interesting article. Insha Allah we can all benefit from it.

Farheen

March 9, 2011 at 1:18 AM

A wonderful article.
    May Allah make all of us develop Taqwa. Aameen
    Jazakallah for this post.

Haleh

March 9, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Assalamo alaikom Sister Ify,
    Masha’Allah I enjoyed your article! You motivated us to get our kids to be active in the mornings. It’s one thing to wake them up for fajr, but a totally different experience if they actually have responsibilities and activities.

I have found that the majority of Muslims struggle with fajr prayers so it is important to cultivate good habits from early on.

Jazakillah khair!
    Haleh

Ify Okoye

March 9, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Wa salaam alaykum Haleh,

Alhamdulillah for my parents, as my dad woke us up and drove us around each day to deliver the newspapers. He also managed our money by putting most of it into our own bank accounts and giving us a small allowance from our earnings. The overall experience was fun and inculcated many lifelong lessons about responsibility, integrity, commitment, and so on. I remember I had wanted to join my older siblings in working the route earlier but had to wait until I got older and proved I could be responsible by getting up each day

forever a student of Islam

March 9, 2011 at 3:07 AM

MashaAllah ukhti, in all honesty your determination and devotion to not miss a single Fajr prayer is amazing. May we all learn to be like that. And especially may we all get that feeling of fear you were talking about subhanAllah. Nowadays, people can miss prayers or delay it and not feel remorse nor regret. we need to change that inshaAllah. Good job ukhti, I am very proud of your small yet extremely significant act every single morning. May you continue to be an inspiration to others.

Ify Okoye

March 9, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Ameen. Really, I don’t think of it as anything extraordinary, Allah makes some things easy for us and other things we find difficult.

nayma

March 9, 2011 at 5:10 AM

JAK for your encouragement to wake up in the early hours. I really did like PGMA’s community when I visited last year.

Ify Okoye

March 9, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Wa iyyaki, I no longer live as close to PGMA as I once did and don’t frequent it as much either but that used to be my main masjid. Preferred the old setup where for the daily salah, we prayed in the same room, made me feel more connected to the congregation. But I’ve always enjoyed the mix of people who come for the daily salah.

7. Hena Zuberi

Hena Zuberi

March 9, 2011 at 5:34 AM

MashaAllah Ify- i love it when people share such personal stories about their lives. You don’t take your deen for granted and that is so inspiring for me. I have insomnia and that is why I am up at this time reading but I am going to go to sleep so I can be fresh for fajr.

My fajr struggle from last year

Ify Okoye

March 9, 2011 at 8:47 PM

I’ll check out that link, insha’Allah. Always a bit strange to share personal stories so publicly, makes me feel shy and hesitant to publish but hoping there is some benefit for those who read my words. May we not take our deen for granted.

Alhamdulillah, I think in so many ways it’s a blessing that I came into Islam when I did. I grew up and was raised Christian in the same way I think many Muslims grow up experiencing religion more as part of our cultural inheritance than a conscious choice.

Me

March 9, 2011 at 6:56 AM

Jazaki Allahu khairan. Really nice motivation, mashaAllah.

Tariq Ahmed

March 9, 2011 at 7:16 AM

as salamu alaykum, Sister Ify. MashaAllah, a very beneficial and enjoyable article. I am glad I had prayed Fajr before reading it, alhamdolillah.

Ify Okoye

March 9, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Wa salaam alaykum, I’m glad you did as well and happy that you liked the article.

Sara

March 9, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Assalaam Alaikum,

That was truly a beautiful piece sister Ify, MashaAllah. I especially loved reading of how aware you were, following your conversion, that missing any prayer is indeed a grave sin that we must not take lightly. The fear in displeasing Allah, Most Merciful, should always remain at the forefront in our hearts, just as it was in the hearts of the companions of the Prophet (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wa sallam). I can honestly say, Alhumdulillah & MashaAllah, after having made it a consistent part of my routine that I absolutely love waking up in the early mornings, and staying up after Fajr. The day goes by so much more productively!

Once again, JazakAllah khair for the eloquent reminder.

Ify Okoye

March 9, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Wa salaam alaykum Sara,

Wa iyyaki. I remember one of things holding me back from accepting Islam was the fear of sin, of not being a “perfect” Muslim. Alhamdulillah, the Mormons helped me get over that fear so that I could take the leap of faith into Islam but that’s another story. I agree waking up in the morning is a light and happiness in my life and hearing or seeing others not wakeup is painful for me. May Allah make it easy for all of us. Ameen.

Shiraz Mahkri

March 9, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Jazak, simple and pleasant article.

abu Abdullah

March 9, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Alhamdulillah, Allah gave us the Fajr and the blessings in time that follows it in the morning.
    Jazaki Allah khayr.

Leo

March 9, 2011 at 1:27 PM

One thing I’ve noticed it doesn’t matter how much/little ive slept but I always feel sluggish for the rest of the day if I’ve missed fajr.
    Conversely doesn’t matter how little I’ve slept I always feel clear-headed when I’ve prayed fajr.

Mirza Shahebaz Baig

March 9, 2011 at 1:48 PM

So true, subahan Allah, for this great blessing. Neo, you may try this. No matter when you sleep, wake up at the same time everyday. Insh Allah your body will adapt. If you’re getting enough sleep, you should wake up naturally without an alarm. Also try being smart in afternoon siesta, if you prefer. Also if you could, sleep in chunks of time multiple of 90 minutes. (like 4 X 90 minutes as in six hours and so on).

Frequent prayer times changes in North America does change your habits though, as we are not living in Equator ( Malaysia etc ) to have fixed time for prayer throughout the year.

There is no denying the blessing Allaah has put in the morning, let us embellish it with some warm Qur’an (before/after warm coffee/ tea, if you may).

wallahu ‘Alam.

Ify Okoye

March 9, 2011 at 9:00 PM

I remember hearing a statement of a scholar, maybe Ibn al-Qayyim, that for those who are regular in praying, if they are asleep and the time for salah is about to expire, Allah will send an angel to wake them up or push them out of bed so that they don’t miss the prayer. And I feel that, so many times I’ve not set an alarm (although I tend to wake up naturally before the alarm goes off) or haven’t heard my alarm or am just really tired but alhamdulillah still somehow manage to get up purely from the grace of Allah.

If I go to sleep very late, when saying my dhikr I ask Allah to help me wake up for fajr.

Bilal

March 9, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Brother I feel exactly the same way!!

Mirza Shahebaz Baig

March 9, 2011 at 6:21 PM

@ author. Why did if I comment using some other name you let my comment stay? and you delete an entirely non offensive, on the topic comment to be deleted.

Ify Okoye

March 9, 2011 at 9:01 PM

I’ve been away for much of the day and didn’t delete any of your comments. Comments get caught in our automatic moderation filters for any number of reasons, which then require manual approval, which is what happened to your comments.

Ify Okoye

March 9, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Thank you friends for reading and for your generous comments. Please also feel free to share your tips for waking up so we can all benefit, insha’Allah.

Ibn Nazim

March 9, 2011 at 10:29 PM

A.S

Always enjoy reading your writing :)

Jazakullah khair

Umm Ibraheem

March 10, 2011 at 5:02 AM

Alhamdulillah, living in the middle east, getting up for fajr is not a problem as our day begins at that time anyway, sometimes awakening even before fajr adhaan (in winter months).

But what is a big problem is getting enough sleep! I wanted to know what time do you early risers go to sleep, and how many hours do you sleep most nights?

I cannot retire to bed before midnight, as there is so much to do, and most nights it is 1am before I fall asleep. My alarm goes off at 5.30am, as we have to leave the house for 7am for kids school etc. After kids have gone to school I attend Quran school and Arabic classes till 12pm, so I do not have an option of going back to bed after kids have gone to school (as many of the women do here).

Throughout the day I am struggling with tiredness. There is not much option to sleep during the day, and when I do fall asleep I cannot wake up and end up sleeping 2 to 3 hours, with the kids being neglected. So I really avoid sleeping during the day, even though it’s a sunnah, because I just abuse the daytime nap.

So I would really like some practical tips on how to function on minimal sleep, how much do we really need, can we survive on just a few hours.

Thanks

Umm ibraheem

Ify Okoye

March 10, 2011 at 8:29 AM

I think sleep is highly variable. I generally sleep quite late and now balancing my current routine of work, school, and other activities it’s not unusual for me to sleep less than 2-4 hours a day several days a week. If I go to sleep less than 2 hours before fajr, I make sure to set three alarms on my cell phone because I’m liable not to hear the first one or two. Hard to say what’s normal because I don’t really track it but probably between 4-6, often less, sometimes more.

But don’t get me wrong I enjoy and require sleep like everyone else. And I might crash after my 20 hour day running around but even then tend to wake up after 5-6 hours, will stay up for 2-3 more, and sleep an hour or two before fajr. I also don’t keep my room exceedingly dark with black-out type curtains because I like to wake naturally with the increase of daylight.

Fatigue definitely impacts my alertness, started falling asleep during an exam last week after a marathon weekend where I slept probably less than a total of 4 hours non-consecutively. The research into sleep is fascinating and I’ve spent some time poring over studies. It’s hard to know any one person’s situation but I view the “I need 8 hours each night” with skepticism maybe because my own experience is different but also there’s research to show we can do with fewer hours or fewer consecutive hours sometimes meaning more naptime. For parents, it’s tough, may Allah make it easy for you. I’ve had the opportunity to have some parenting experience and my sleep pattern was certainly disturbed. Nancy Pelosi has a good quote about raising her five children and that she used her free time during those years to sleep or something like that.

I remember in kindergarten, I was like the only kid who actually slept during naptime to give my mind a break because the whole experience was quite overwhelming for me in the beginning.

Umm Ibraheem

March 10, 2011 at 5:07 AM

Also, forgot to say, the adhaan here is so loud MashaAllah coming simultaneously from the local mosques, that you have no choice but to wake for fajr. However, whether you choose to get up for prayer is an entirely different matter!

Tariq Ahmed

March 10, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Another piece of advice from the Sunnah of the Prophet sull Allaho alayhi wa sallam: use a bed that is comfortable enough to let you sleep, not one that is so comfortable it makes you sleepy.

Bi’idhnillah someone will gain the ajr of posting the complete text of the hadith here (or has already done so), but basically one of the wives of the Prophet sull Allaho alayhi wa sallam out of genuine love for him made up his bed one night with extra padding. He slept well, but when he woke he asked her what she had done since he did not wake up as he normally did. And he asked her always to use the lesser amount of padding.

Alhamdolillah, I think of that hadith often, and I have always noticed this whenever I have slept on the floor, whether in a masjid or just on the carpet at home, anywhere: if I am just comfortable enough to fall asleep, then I wake most easily and have the least difficulty rising for prayer.

May Allah grant us all the sweetness of salat, in the best part of the night, of fajr, and of every time the raakieen and saajideen do their thing.

Cartoon Muhammad

March 10, 2011 at 5:39 PM

yea I’ve noticed that too. When I go too sleep too late and worry about missing fajr, I sleep on the floor, because the bed has a way of tempting you to go back to sleep lol.

Student Of Knowledge

March 22, 2011 at 2:15 AM

I’m sorry to disappoint you brother but this hadith is not authentic.

umm_ismael

March 10, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Aoa wr wb,
    How does one deal with children who take their mothers feed. I have an eight month old who keeps waking up after every 2 – 3 hours to be fed. I have to be up early for my 3 and a half year old to goto school. I cannot sleep after that since thats the time that all the work gets done cooking etc) I cannot sleep during the day since my children don’t and who else to look after them. My husband has an afternoon shift so hes not back till 12 and this means I sleep around 1 or 1 :30. Any suggestions to ensure I never miss fajr?
    aoa

Cartoon Muhammad

March 10, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Great article by the great Ify Okoye! JazakAllah Khair!

Besides going to sleep early, the best thing to help you wake up for fajr is having some kind of motivation. Like Sis Ify wrote, increasing fear of Allah and having an early job or class helps a lot.

I’ve been wanting to become an early fajr bird for a while now, but its so hard to find the right motivation to get up and go to the masjid when i’m so sleepy =[. InshAllah gotta keep trying.

Ameera Khan

March 11, 2011 at 9:48 PM

A very, very enjoyable and motivational piece, Ify! Jazaakillah khayr! And reading the comments, plus your responses, was educational in itself. :)

I’ve gone through all the same issues with waking up for Fajr that everyone else here has, I guess. And I definitely agree with the title of your post – it’s about “training” yourself and not just expecting for a miracle to drop into your lap, making you the perfect early riser without having put any effort into attaining it.

Mike Ilyas

March 13, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Asalamu Wa alaikum sister Okoye, Subhan ‘Allah I just got scolded for mssing my Fajr on a constant basis,and truly my problem is fearing Allah. How can I increase my fear

Ify

February 13, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Wa alaykum salaam Mike, I think we’re all working on trying to increase our God-consciousness. I find reading the Quran and really trying to understand it and relate the verses to my own life increases taqwa. In addition, learning about the religion and focusing on improving an aspect of my religious practice day by day helps me. It may be different for each person.

Willy eater

April 15, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Asalamu Wa alaikum sister Okoye, why do you use the interesting gravatar profile image?

sireesha

May 21, 2011 at 5:59 AM

im a female train me to pray Allah whole heartedly becoz i love allah and muslim tradition and muslim friends.Tell me a good prayer

Manzoor

July 18, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Thanks! Very helpful ;).

Fatima Basra

February 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Dear sis Ify,
    Assalam-u-Alaikum! i really enjoyed your article and it helped me a lot to try to get up earlier than usual and also to view this habit positively.I was able to extract many benefits of getting up early from your article. JazakAllah for sharing it at such a public site.

Ify

February 13, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Wa alaykum salaam Fatima,

Alhamdulillah, may Allah help us to wake up early and benefit from the blessing of the morning hours. Ameen.

Asad

October 17, 2015 at 8:30 AM

this really works,you feel spiritually elevated and no matter how tiring your day is ,you somehow feel you need to make more ibadaat and you do! Your day is only productive when all your salaah is read,quraan recited and if you can nafl ibadaat…nothing else matters…

Muhammad Ali

December 30, 2015 at 3:03 AM

A very good article , may Allah reward you for this useful knowledge. Thanks for sharing. It’s all about our mindset. No excuses for not wake up for Fajr prayer.

Meer

February 17, 2016 at 4:57 AM

jazakAllah thankyou for this great article .

zeesol

April 11, 2016 at 8:19 AM

Very nice article. God bless you!

AAM Consultants

September 12, 2017 at 12:45 PM

Nice and helpful article
    Thanks for top quality content

Etiquettes of Praying For Your Brother And Sister | Imam Omar Suleiman

Level up your duas by including those who least expect to be in your most private moments and get angels to say Ameen

Imam Omar Suleiman

It’s very common to find in the stories of the pious predecessors those who kept lists of people they prayed for on a nightly basis. This was a testimony to their sincerity, selflessness, and sacrifice. The basis of the act comes from a famous hadith:

وعنه أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم كان يقول‏:‏ ‏ “‏دعوة المرء المسلم لأخيه بظهر الغيب مستجابة، عند رأسه ملك موكل كلما دعا لأخيه بخير قال الملك الموكل به‏:‏ آمين، ولك بمثل‏”‏ ‏(‏‏(‏رواه مسلم‏)‏‏)‏‏.‏

“The supplication of a believer for his brother in his absence will certainly be answered. Every time he makes a supplication for good for his brother, the angel appointed for this particular task says Ameen! May it be for you too’.” [Sahih Muslim].

Since the supplication of the fasting person is accepted, this is the best time to do it. But it’s also important to be intentional about how you pray for someone. Any prayer for your brother or sister is accepted if sincere, but it becomes even more blessed when made personal and customized. Under normal circumstances, It’s also best to keep your personal prayers to yourself and without the knowledge of the person you’re praying for. Sometimes it’s ok to tell someone you’re praying for them for the sake of solidarity. But the general rule is that it’s best to conceal it even from them for the sake of sincerity. Also, make sure to include in your prayers people who would never expect you to pray for them.

Then as you start to make dua for someone, think about how you can diversify the supplications and people you make dua for so that you are 1. Touching numerous lives 2. Covering different issues and ailments 3. Guaranteeing that the return on your prayers is also comprehensive.

So, in particular, think of a person in each of the following categories and make dua for them daily:

1. A person who has good qualities but hasn’t been guided to good faith. Make dua for guidance for that person so that perhaps Allah grants you further guidance.
  2. A person who is involved in good work, that Allah accepts from them and keeps them sincere so that perhaps Allah uses you for His cause and keeps you sincere.
  3. A person who is committing a public sin. Make dua that Allah forgives that person. Imagine if the dua is accepted for a major public sin, then the angels will say Ameen for you also and perhaps Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) will forgive you for both your public and private sins.
  4. A person who is ill, that Allah grants him or her full health so that perhaps Allah will either heal you if you are sick or preserve your health for you if you are healthy.
  5. A person who is struggling financially or suffering a worldly hardship, ask Allah to help that person so that perhaps Allah will help you in that same situation.
  6. A person who has a particular blessing that you wish for, that Allah maintains that blessing upon that person without making it a means of taking him or her away from goodness in the hereafter so that perhaps Allah will grant it for you or maintain your blessings upon you without making them a means of harm for you.

This is how you bring together the Prophetic tradition of praying for your brother/sister, and the other tradition about not truly believing until you love for your sister or brother what you love for yourself.

May Allah accept your Ramadan and Laylatul Qadr, as well as all of your good deeds. And may He forgive you for your sins, and distance you from all that distances you from Him. Ameen

5 Duas For Ramadan Therapy | Sh Yahya Ibrahim

Use these precious days and night to ask Allah in the best of ways

Shaykh Yahya Ibrahim

Dua 01 – #RamadanTherapy – The Magnificence of Ayat ul Kursi and its Power with Yahya Ibrahim

Allahu laaa ilaaha illaa huwal haiyul qai-yoom; laa taakhuzuhoo sinatunw wa laa nawm; lahoo maa fissamaawaati wa maa fil ard; man zallazee yashfa’u indahooo illaa be iznih; ya’lamu maa baina aideehim wa maa khalfahum; wa laa yuheetoona beshai ‘immin ‘ilmihee illa be maa shaaaa; wasi’a kursiyyuhus samaa waati wal arda wa la ya’ooduho hifzuhumaa; wa huwal aliyyul ‘azeem

“Allah! There is no god but He – the Living, The Self-subsisting, Eternal. No slumber can seize Him Nor Sleep. His are all things In the heavens and on earth. Who is there can intercede In His presence except As he permitted? He knoweth What (appeareth to His creatures As) Before or After or Behind them. Nor shall they compass Aught of his knowledge Except as He willeth. His throne doth extend Over the heavens And on earth, and He feeleth No fatigue in guarding And preserving them, For He is the Most High. The Supreme (in glory).”

Dua 02 A Treasure from Jannah – Last two verses of Al-Baqarah

The Messenger has believed in what was revealed to him from his Lord, and [so have] the believers. All of them have believed in Allah and His angels and His books and His messengers, [saying], “We make no distinction between any of His messengers.” And they say, “We hear and we obey. [We seek] Your forgiveness, our Lord, and to You is the [final] destination.”

Allah burdens not a person beyond his scope. He gets reward for that (good) which he has earned, and he is punished for that (evil) which he has earned. “Our Lord! Punish us not if we forget or fall into error, our Lord! Lay not on us a burden like that which You did lay on those before us (Jews and Christians); our Lord! Put not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear. Pardon us and grant us Forgiveness. Have mercy on us. You are our Maulâ (Patron, Supporter, and Protector) and give us victory over the disbelieving people.” (Al-Baqarah 2:286)

Dua 03 Salawat & Durood upon our Nabi ﷺ help us in all hardships & circumstances

Allahumma salli `ala Muhammadin, wa `ala aali Muhammadin, kama sallaita `ala aali Ibrahima, innaka Hamidum Majid. Allahumma barik `ala Muhammadin, wa `ala aali Muhammadin, kama barakta `ala aali Ibrahima, innaka Hamidum Majid
[O Allah, exalt the mention of Muhammad and the family of Muhammad as you exalted the family of Ibrahim. You are Praised and Glorious. O Allah, bless Muhammad and the family of Muhammad as You blessed the family of Ibrahim. You are Praised and Glorious.]”’ [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

“Believers! Send your Blessings on him” | Resource for Salawat on the Prophet

Dua 04 The Greatest #Dua of Seeking Forgiveness

اللَّهُمَّ أَنْتَ رَبِّي لا إِلَهَ إِلا أَنْتَ خَلَقْتَنِي وَأَنَا عَبْدُكَ وَأَنَا عَلَى عَهْدِكَ وَوَعْدِكَمَا اسْتَطَعْتُ أَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنْ شَرِّ مَا صَنَعْتُ أَبُوءُ لَكَ بِنِعْمَتِكَ عَلَيَّ وَأَبُوءُ لَكَ بِذَنْبِي فَاغْفِرْ لِي فَإِنَّهُ لا يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ إِلا أَنْتَ

“The Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) used this particular expression – Sayyid al-Istighfar – literally, ‘the master of supplications’ to indicate that this is the best of supplications for those in need, and which will fulfil the need—sincere seeking of forgiveness”>Allahumma anta Rabbi la ilaha illa anta, Anta Khalaqtani wa ana abduka, wa ana ‘ala ahdika wa wa’dika mastata’tu, A’udhu bika min Sharri ma sana’tu, abu’u Laka bini’matika ‘alaiya, wa Abu Laka bidhanbi faghfirli innahu la yaghfiru adhdhunuba illa anta

O Allah! You are my Lord! None has the right to be worshipped but You. You created me and I am Your slave, and I am faithful to my covenant and my promise as much as I can. I seek refuge with You from all the evil I have done. I acknowledge before You all the blessings You have bestowed upon me, and I confess to You all my sins. So I entreat You to forgive my sins, for nobody can forgive sins except You.)

Shaddad ibn Aws raḍyAllāhu 'anhu (may Allāh be pleased with him) relates that the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) said that he (Sayyid al-Istighfar) most superior way of asking for forgiveness from Allah is to say (the above du’a). That “If somebody recites it during the day with firm faith in it, and dies on the same day before the evening, he will be from the people of Paradise; and if somebody recites it at night with firm faith in it, and dies before the morning, he will be from the people of Paradise.”
[Sahih al-Bukhari; 8,75,318, at-Tirmidhi; 3393, an-Nasa’i; 5522, Ahmad; 16662]

Dua 05 When the Prophet’s ﷺ daughter felt weak he taught her this Zikr

حَدَّثَنَا سُلَيْمَانُ بْنُ حَرْبٍ، حَدَّثَنَا شُعْبَةُ، عَنِ الْحَكَمِ، عَنِ ابْنِ أَبِي لَيْلَى، عَنْ عَلِيٍّ، أَنَّ فَاطِمَةَ ـ عَلَيْهِمَا السَّلاَمُ ـ شَكَتْ مَا تَلْقَى فِي يَدِهَا مِنَ الرَّحَى، فَأَتَتِ النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وسلم تَسْأَلُهُ خَادِمًا، فَلَمْ تَجِدْهُ، فَذَكَرَتْ ذَلِكَ لِعَائِشَةَ، فَلَمَّا جَاءَ أَخْبَرَتْهُ‏.‏ قَالَ فَجَاءَنَا وَقَدْ أَخَذْنَا مَضَاجِعَنَا، فَذَهَبْتُ أَقُومُ فَقَالَ ‏”‏ مَكَانَكِ ‏”‏‏.‏ فَجَلَسَ بَيْنَنَا حَتَّى وَجَدْتُ بَرْدَ قَدَمَيْهِ عَلَى صَدْرِي فَقَالَ ‏”‏ أَلاَ أَدُلُّكُمَا عَلَى مَا هُوَ خَيْرٌ لَكُمَا مِنْ خَادِمٍ، إِذَا أَوَيْتُمَا إِلَى فِرَاشِكُمَا، أَوْ أَخَذْتُمَا مَضَاجِعَكُمَا، فَكَبِّرَا ثَلاَثًا وَثَلاَثِينَ، وَسَبِّحَا ثَلاَثًا وَثَلاَثِينَ، وَاحْمَدَا ثَلاَثًا وَثَلاَثِينَ، فَهَذَا خَيْرٌ لَكُمَا مِنْ خَادِمٍ ‏”‏‏.‏ وَعَنْ شُعْبَةَ عَنْ خَالِدٍ عَنِ ابْنِ سِيرِينَ

Narrated `Ali:

Fatima complained about the blisters on her hand because of using a mill-stone. She went to ask the Prophet for servant, but she did not find him (at home) and had to inform `Aisha of her need. When he came, `Aisha informed him about it. `Ali added: The Prophet (ﷺ) came to us when we had gone to our beds. When I was going to get up, he said, “‘Stay in your places,” and sat between us, till I felt the coolness of the feet on my chest. The Prophet (ﷺ) then said, “Shall I not tell you of a thing which is better for you than a servant? When you (both) go to your beds, say ‘Allahu Akbar’ thirty-four times, and ‘Subhan Allah’ thirty-three times, ‘Al hamdu ‘illah’ thirty-three times, for that is better for you than a servant.” Ibn Seereen said, “Subhan Allah’ (is to be said for) thirty-four times.”

Optimism in Times of Adversity: How The Prophet Did It

Shaykh Abdullah Waheed

A man passed by al-Miqdaad ibn al-Aswad raḍyAllāhu 'anhu (may Allāh be pleased with him), one of the most distinguished Companions of the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him). The man said, “How lucky your two eyes that witnessed the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him)”. Ibn al-Aswad profoundly responded by saying,

Why should anyone wish to witness a scene that Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) did not wish him to see? He does not know what it would have been like if he had witnessed it or which party he would have been among if he went back in time.

By Allah! Allah’s Prophet saw people who were thrown right into Hell, so you should thank Allah that you were spared such a trial and were honored by firm belief in Allah and his Prophet”.

As human beings, we all struggle with adversity especially in societies which are driven by competition and materialistic pleasure. This drive creates difficult expectations, labels, and stigmas that breed unhealthy communities which spur widespread stress and pain. As Muslims, many of us struggle to define our role and place in societies where Muslims are the minority. We are horrified and worried when atrocities seem to occur so often solely because of the faith we believe in, such as in Burma or Central African Republic. Across the world, many countries with Muslims as the majority population are crippled by war such as Syria and Yemen. Our faith is abused by twisted minds to create chaos. In addition, random terrorist attacks in Mali and New Zealand have us wondering whether we will be attacked at our local masjid, or even in public settings such as offices and schools.

Our Ummah has always faced adversity and we will continue to do so as we struggle to be on the path of Islam. However, Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) has given us the Prophet Muhammad ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) as a guide to this Ummah on how to deal with adversity and keep our optimism. His life is a means for us to be inspired and motivated to strive for excellence. Indeed, the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) was tested more than any other prophet that preceded him. The rapid spread of Islam and the change it brought to the world was built upon a prophet and his companions who endured an extraordinary amount of adversity, all in order to provide a means of salvation for the generations that would come after them.

Many Muslims know the basics of the Prophet’s life such as his birth in Makkah, the migration to Madina, some of the battles, and the conquest of Makkah. However, if one were to read the Seerah of the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) in-depth, one would be astonished to the sheer amount of trauma, pain, and grief the Prophet (ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) experienced. He was subject to intense verbal/physical abuse, public humiliation, family deaths, and more. Depending on the physical and emotional toll, we know different people are more or less sensitive to adversity. For the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him), the adversity of establishing the Deen was immensely troubling as he had the purest and softest of characters. In addition, the prophets who came before him were comforted in knowing that they had a successor. Some of them were their children in Ismail 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him) to Ibrahim 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him) and Yahya 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him) to Zakariyya 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him). But the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) had no prophet to follow him, therefore his Message would be the last that mankind could benefit from.

The Quran says in Surah al-Ahzab:

مَا كَانَ مُحَمَّدٌ أَبَآ أَحَدٍ مِن رّ‌ِجَالِكُمْ وَلَكِن رَّسُولَ اللَّهِ وَخَاتَمَ النَّبِيّـِينَ وَكَانَ اللَّهُ بِكُلّ‌ِ شَيْءٍ

عَلِيماً

Muhammad is not the father of (any) of your men, but (he is) the Messenger of Allah and last of the prophets. And God has full knowledge of all things. (Verse 33:40)

To proclaim the Divine Message to a resistant society has shown through the history of the Prophets to yield hardship and extreme difficulty. To be the final messenger was an increased burden. One example was when the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) was praying in front of the Kaaba and a member of the Quraysh named Uqbah ibn Abu Mu’ayt placed the intestines, dung, and feces on the back of the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) while he was in sujood. The weight of the filth was so heavy that the Prophet could not get up until he received the assistance of his daughter Fatima raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her), who was a pre-teenager at the time. How hurtful must that scene have been for the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him)? How did he deal with the humiliation the leaders of his city displayed in front of his child? How disheartening must have it been for his resolve to establish the worship of Allah?

This type of treatment was a regular occurrence in the pre-Hijrah era of Islam. Eventually, the treatment spurred into a boycott against the Muslims and the Hashemites who were the Prophet’s clan. According to Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources by Martin Lings:

A document was drawn up according to which it was undertaken that no one would marry a woman of Hashim or give his daughter in marriage to a man of Hashim; and no one was to sell anything to them, or buy anything from them. This was to continue until the clan of Hashim themselves outlawed Muhammad, or until he renounced his claim to prophethood.

In those three years of boycott, many of the followers of the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) such as Abu Bakr raḍyAllāhu 'anhu (may Allāh be pleased with him) lost their statuses in society. Public humiliation, poverty, malnourishment, torture, molestation, and even murder were perpetrated against the small community of Muslims around the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him). There are narrations which talk about the fact that they would hear the cries of babies going to sleep at night. They buried so many children and babies at that time who died due to disease, malnourishment, and starvation. They could hear the mothers crying who had buried their babies the day before. It was a time of great suffering and sacrifice.

Shortly after the ban was annulled, Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) increased the test of His beloved Messenger at a time called ‘Ām al-Ḥuzn (عام الحزن), the Year of Sadness. In 619 AD, Khadijah bint Khuwaylid raḍyAllāhu 'anhu (may Allāh be pleased with him), the wife of the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) for 25 years passed away. When the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) was in shock after the first revelation descended, it was Khadijah raḍyAllāhu 'anhu (may Allāh be pleased with him) who comforted him and consoled him. She was one of the first believer, mother of the Prophet’s ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) children, and a caretaker to the Prophet’s ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) cousin Ali and adopted son Zayd (RA). She was his main confidante and his closest friend. Her death was considered to be the greatest personal tragedy to the Prophet (SAW). In fact, his later wife ʿĀʾishah bint Abī Bakr raḍyAllāhu 'anhu (may Allāh be pleased with him) said that she was never jealous of the co-wives of the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) except for Khadijah who had passed before she had wed the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him). The Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him), who would usually stay quiet in disputes with Aisha, stated when ʿĀʾishah voiced her upsetness at the Prophet’s lingering love for Khadijah:

Make this clear Aisha, you are not better than Khadijah. She believed in me when no one did and she testified to my truth when people said I was a liar. She gave everything she had to give me support.

Shortly afterward, Abu Talib, the Prophet’s ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) uncle and chief tribal protector in Makkah passed away. Abu Talib had been the caretaker of the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) after the Prophet’s ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) mother and grandfather passed away. But the situation before the passing of both these allies to the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) was poor and it was now going to become unbearable. Abu Lahab, another one of the Prophet’s uncles and one of his bitter enemies, arose as chieftain of the Hashemites would not give the Muslims adequate protection.

When adversity brought the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) to his knees, he put his trust in Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) and continued to push forward. It was in this moment of desperation that the Prophet was sent his ultimate test; the Day of Taif. The Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) described the Day of Taif more testing than the Battle of Uhud. In his desperation, the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) traveled to the nearby city of Taif in order to seek the city’s protection. When the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) met with the three leaders of the city, they feverishly rejected him and decided to turn the public against him. The representatives of the community gathered the youth, slaves, and others and to stone the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) and Zayd ibn Harithah raḍyAllāhu 'anhu (may Allāh be pleased with him). The people of Taif purposely targeted the Prophet’s ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) feet, severely damaging them. His blessed body was profusely bleeding and the crowd pursued both the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) and Zayd ibn Harithah for an excruciating three to six miles until he settled in a private orchard. It was in this moment where all hope had vanished. Now pushed to his extreme limits of endurance, he raised his hands and called out to his Lord:

اللهم إليك أشكو ضعف قوتي وقلة حيلتي وهواني على الناس

ياأرحم الراحمين أنت أرحم الراحمين

أنت رب المستضعفين وأنت ربي

إلى من تكلني إلى عدو يتجهمني أم الى عدو ملكته امرى

إن لم يكن بك غضب علي فلا أبالي ولكن عافيتك هي أوسع لي

أعوذ بنور وجهك الذي أضاءت له السموات و الأرض

وأشرقت له الظلمات وصلح عليه أمر الدنيا والأخره

أن ينزل بي غضبك أو يحل علي سخطك

لك العتبى حتى ترضى ولاحول ولاقوة إلابك

To You, my Lord, I complain of my weakness, lack of support and the humiliation I am made to receive.

Most Compassionate and Merciful! You are the Lord of the weak, and you are my Lord.

To whom do You leave me? To a distant person who receives me with hostility? Or to an enemy You have given power over me?

As long as you are not displeased with me, I do not care what I face. I would, however, be much happier with Your mercy.

I seek refuge in the light of Your face by which all darkness is dispelled and both this life and the life to come are put in their right course against incurring your wrath or being the subject of your anger.

To You, I submit, until I earn Your pleasure. Everything is powerless without your support.

When we struggle with adversity, calling out to our Lord is one of the last things that comes to our mind. Even if it does, we struggle to motivate ourselves to learn how to make dua to Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) and we struggle to raise our hands. The amount of sincerity and power of this dua to Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) was so great that Jibril 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him) came down to the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) and reported that the Prophet’s ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) appeal shook the heavens. Here, the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) seeks only the pleasure of his Lord and he will do whatever he can to fulfill his Lord’s pleasure. However, the pleasure of Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) only comes with Allah’s subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) own support and we should be seeking it with every trial or tribulation that we face.

There are three lessons that we can take away the way the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) dealt with adversity. First, how can we sincerely put our trust in Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) to give us guidance when we have little to no relationship with our Lord to begin with. Therefore, the struggling believer must consistently engage in self-reflection. He or she should be asking, “Am I praying my five daily prayers?”, “Am I consistent in my prayers?”, “How much attention and effort do I give my five prayers?”, “Do I engage in the remembrance of Allah in my daily actions?”, “How often do I ask Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) for help”, “Am I trying to learn what is halal and haram?”. “Am I trying to inculcate more good deeds in my life?”, “Am I trying to leave sinning?”, “If I am still struggling in my relationship with Allah (SWT), am I reaching out to someone more learned?”, etc. These are the first things we need to be fulfilling in our struggle to be optimistic. If we still need help, we should not have fear in asking a professional such as a counselor or mentor.

Second, we need to be active in making our society a better place. The prophets were not just scholars, but they were changer-makers. They sought to make society a better place. Not only is our duty as Muslims to others who are struggling, but it alleviates a lot of burden on us when we help others. We are reminded of the hadith,

“Whoever relieves a believer’s distress of the distressful aspects of this world, Allah will rescue him from a difficulty of the difficulties of the Hereafter.”

Lastly, be comforted in Allah’s subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) everlasting control over all the affairs of humanity and beyond. Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) was there before us, when we die, and for eternity. Everything is in accordance with His Will. When we set our intentions right and make sacrifices in our lives to please Him, Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) will replenish the believer with something equal or better. After this painful period in the Seerah, Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) gifted His devout Messenger with two things, the miraculous journey of the Isra wal M’iraj and the story of Prophet Yusuf 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him). The story of Prophet Yusuf 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him) was sent down to show the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) that he was not the first prophet who experienced difficulty. In Surah Yusuf, the Quran reminds us that Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) is عَلِيۡمٌ and حَكِيۡمٌ, the All-Knowing and All-Wise. In the verses of the Surah, these words were mentioned before the adversities in Yusuf and Yaqub’s 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him) life, during the adversity, and after Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) had rewarded Yusuf and Yaqub for their resolve. There is light at the end of every tunnel of adversity and only Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) can give us the guidance to get there, we only have to turn to him.

We ask Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) to grant us the ability to maintain our optimism in our adversities. We ask Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) to grant us an understanding of Islam so that we may help others overcome their adversities. We ask Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) to relieve the adversity of the Ummah.

Shaykh Abdullah Waheed was born and raised in the suburbs of Detroit, MI. Shaykh Abdullah commenced his studies at the age of 10 in Toronto, Canada where he went to memorize the Quran.  He completed the memorization of the Holy Quran by the tender age of 12 and then went on to study in the 7-year extensive Shariah program in Toronto, Canada. Shaykh Abdullah then continued his research and studies, which took him on global journeys, such as Pakistan, Kuwait, and England.

Shaykh Abdullah specialized in Tafseer of the Quran. Sheikh Abdullah spent years to study the details and beauty of our Holy book since understanding and mastering the language of Holy Quran was always the primary goal.

Shaykh Abdullah is serving as an Instructor at Miftaah institute and is also the Director of Islamic Affairs at Flint Islamic Center. Shaykh Abdullah travels across North America for khutbas, workshops, and seminars. He is known for his motivational and enthusiastic style of speaking which leaves the audience focused and learning.