I know a brother who was so committed to praying his prayers in the masjid and was always found in the first row. He was known that regardless of how the weather was (i.e. a blizzard, tornado, thunderstorm…etc.), he still made it to the masjid. What was really interesting is that he doesn’t have a car, bus pass, bike or any sort of transportation, except that he walks there.
All of a sudden, a few days passed by without the brother seen in the masjid. It was obvious to me at that point that perhaps he got really sick, like REALLY sick; so I decide to go and visit him.
Once I arrived to his house, I knocked on the door and he opened up. I smiled and said, “As-salaamu alaykum!”
He replied saying, “What the F@#$% [curse word] do you want?”
I was so shocked to hear that and asked him, “What happened?”
He responded, “What do you want?”
I told him, “I didn’t see you in the masjid for some time and I wanted to check on you.”
He said, “As you can see, I am alive and healthy. Thank you for coming. Now move on.”
I told him, “but what is wrong with you..?” and since he was a person I have known for some time I somewhat insisted to know so perhaps I can help. (Please note that this approach is subjective and may work for some people and not others).
He said, “Alright, follow me to the basement. (i.e. the lower level of his house)”
We sat there and he said, “for the past 6 months, I have been praying in the masjid almost every prayer. I am always in the first row and I make it to the masjid regardless how the weather is like. I don’t drive or use a bus to make it to the masjid and I simply walk. After all that work and worship which I do to Allah, I have been making all kinds of different dua’as (supplications) to Allah all these past months and not a single dua’a was accepted. After all of that, why should I worship Him!?”
I was shocked and sad to hear that and I asked him, “have you never heard of the hadith of the Prophet of what happens whenever a person makes dua’a?” And I said to him an authentic hadith in Al-Adab Al-Mufrad”.
The Prophet said: “there isn’t a single Muslim who makes a dua, as long as it is not for something that is haram or that breaks the ties of kinship, except that Allah would give him or her 1 of 3 things: (what are these 3 things?)
1 Either Allah responds to caller by giving him/her what was asked for in this dunya
- For example they someone would say:
- “O Allah I am sick, please cure me.” And Allah cures them.
- “O Allah, please help pay off my loan.” So he gets a promotion in his job or finds a new job that pays him more money
2 Or he turns away from him or her the like of it in trouble/evil/hardship;
- So for example, you would say: “O Allah please cure me” and let’s say Allah has decreed that you get afflicted with a more serious disease such as cancer. But due to your dua’a Allah would lift the hardship of you being afflicted with cancer.
- So you might say, Allah didn’t answer my call and there was no benefit in my dua’a. Actually, no, Allah did answer it and there was a benefit in your dua’a. But you just don’t know. Had perhaps you didn’t make dua’a you would’ve gotten cancer. So that dua’a actually lightened and eased things up for you.
3 Allah will delay your reward til Jannah
Ok if Allah doesn’t respond to me in this dunya, life, nor He lifts a hardship that was about to fall upon me, then what’s the 3rd option? Allah would delay the response till the hereafter. And He would instead give you a reward on the Day of Judgment.
- The sahabah, may Allah be pleased with them, upon hearing Prophet Muhammad ‘s explanation to what happens to a dua when it is made they said: “Then we will make plenty of dua” (e. it is a win-win-win situation)
- What did the Prophet tell them in return? Did he say,“no, no, don’t exaggerate, don’t ask Allah for too many things?” No! Rather, he said: “Allah is more plentiful (in responding).” (i.e. Allah will continue to respond, Allah is The Most Generous, Allah loves it when you make dua’a to Him.)
I know many wonder what happened to the brother upon hearing this hadith. What really matters is how YOU feel after being reminded of what happens whenever you call upon Allah and make dua. Are you as excited as the sahabah when they heard the hadith?
Know that the best option out of the 3 is the option…….. which…… Allah sees is best for you.
May Allah bless you and reward you. Be sure to share this beautiful hadith with your friends and family.