Family and Community

Parents at Taraweeh – Making it Work

Hena Zuberi

Ramadan 2013 Posts

The usual scene at taraweeh is children running around in the prayer area, tweens in the hallways, and teens in the parking lot. At the masjid I’m attending, the imam said some very wise things: Taraweeh is sunnah, while looking after and protecting your children is fard. He urged the fathers to watch the children while the mothers prayed and then switch so that fathers could pray while the moms watched their kids, emphasizing that both genders’ ibadah is just as important. The issue wasn’t to not bring the kids to the masjid but to make it a positive experience for them.

“Why did you bring your children here?” he asked rhetorically, his voice shaking with emotion, “To give them an Islamic foundation and experience this blessed environment. Help us give that to them.”

Well, they weren’t getting much of that wrestling outside the facility or stuffing toilet paper into the bathroom stalls, or hooking up in the parking lot. I love seeing kids in the masjid – I really think for the future of the deen, our masajid need to be extremely family friendly.

All of this was happening even though the community put together two separate, free, age-appropriate child care stations with activities (wo)manned by the young women of the community and not just the usual ‘a ton of children running around babysitting,’ which leads me to say this: we often complain that the masjid doesn’t do enough for the community, but sometimes the community doesn’t do enough for the masjid.

All it takes is for one child to get hurt or injured and the whole place could be shut down. (Although I have to say there is a special rahmah during Ramadan when so many kids are doing the most crazy stuff I have ever witnessed and none of them get hurt – it must be the angels!)

Some parents make it work – they have the well-behaved kids in the masjid who make you smile and say MashaAllah. Here are some things that they do which may help. Most of the following suggestions aren’t for babies – babies cry, it’s normal, and we need to learn to deal with it.

• Most importantly, Ramadan and taraweeh should be planned for ahead of time so we actively participate in Ramadan instead of Ramadan falling upon us. It should be the culmination of our year as a family.
  • Plan your stays at the iftars and tareweehs. Talk to your kids ahead of time about what will happen and what the timeline will be. Give them a “social hour” to meet and greet their friends before salah starts. Make a rule that after salah they need to be in the musallah. Bring some quiet activities like coloring books and books for older kids.
  • If you are going to take your children, make sure that they are fed. You are fasting, but your younger kids are not fasting. Kids start becoming very anxious/cranky if they haven’t been fed properly. Make sure that they are satiated so they are not bugging you while you are opening your iftar or praying. Take small, non-messy snacks with you.
  • Let your children know what you expect from them. Sometimes they don’t know what is expected and follow the crowd. Also, if the kids haven’t been inside a masjid all year long they may have forgotten what happens during taraweeh. It is even harder for kids whose parents have never been to the masjid. My husband says just because you went on Hajj last year and now you have starting coming to taraweeh doesn’t mean that your 9 year old who has never been to a masjid knows how to behave at a masjid. You will have to be patient and teach them. Going to the masjid is important for their identity, but don’t expect them to learn immediately proper behavior there.
  • Ask your friends to kid-pool during taraweeh:  you watch their kids while they pray and they watch yours. If there are enough of you, everyone can get a good chunk of taraweeh during the month.
  • Your tweens/teens need you to step up. Make their Eid presents dependent on their behavior during taraweeh. Have them leave their gadgets at home or in the car. Use all your best parenting tricks that you use for good grades in school NOW.
  • Get them excited about worship. Talk about the themes/meanings that will be read at taraweeh before heading out. Tell them about the reward of taraweeh. Make up a game for the younger ones. We talk about how many “zombies” we “kicked” by praying – it’s a bit unconventional but boys like games.
  • Show some respect. If you know that your children will need to use the bathroom multiple times or will roll around in front of the musallis, pray in the back or sides. The elders who have already raised their children deserve some quality time. It’s easy to take children to the bathroom from the back rows and to check on the older ones.
  • Be a role model. Don’t be chit-chatting during the salah, in the halls, in the bathrooms and then expect the kids not to follow suit.
  • Turn to them after each set and give them a smile, a pat on the back, a look of love, telling them immediately that you appreciate their patience and stillness. Tell them that they are surrounded by angels and that you love them for the sake of Allah. Other adults should do this too. In my opinion, this goes further than anything else.
  • Stay home if you cannot control them or if the experience is so bad that it would make them run away from the religion (yes some masjid experiences can do that), especially if it smells really bad, is extremely hot and crammed.
  • Take their sleeping bags or a favorite blanket with you so if they are sleepy they can lie down next to you.
  • Reward them with a small treat if they behaved or read (stayed by your side) salah. Positive reinforcement makes for positive memories.
  • There are so many huffadh in our communities that maybe you can host taraweeh in your own homes with smaller gatherings.  This can complete your ibadah and also give your small children the convenience of being in their own homes.
  • Don’t give up!  If you are in charge or know someone in charge, try to announce the names of the kids who were really well behaved after each taraweeh. There is nothing like good ‘ol competition and recognition. It gets people’s attention more than the “parents please control your kids” announcements.

I would love to hear from tweens and teens on how taraweeh can become a more positive experience for them as well. Please feel free to add your suggestions in comments!

Hena Zuberi is the Editor in Chief of Muslimmatters.org. She is also a Staff Reporter at the Muslim Link newspaper which serves the DC Metro. She serves on the board of the Aafia Foundation and Words Heal, Inc. Hena has worked as a television news reporter and producer for CNBC Asia and World Television News. A mom of four and a Green Muslim, she lives and preaches a whole food, organic life which she believes is closest to Sunnah. Active in her SoCal community, Hena served as the Youth Director for the Unity Center. Using her experience with Youth, she conducts Growing Up With God workshops. hena.z@muslimmatters.org Follow her on Twitter @henazuberi.

Hyde

July 19, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Hooking up in the parking lot…what sort of “hooking up” are we talking about, if I may be so blunt to ask ?

Fathima

July 19, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Helpful tips really a good article !

Hena Zuberi

July 21, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Jazakillah khayra for reading – please do share with friends and fellow masjid goers.

mar

May 27, 2019 at 4:14 PM

Salam aleikum. Our masjid ICGC has invested in an amazing way by having a program specifically designed for children ages 4 to 12 during the first 8 rakat of taraweh. The Institute of Youth Development and Excellence delivers this program all but one night a week. Children are registered and when they arrived they participate in fun lessons that focus on Ramadan and on implementing these lessons. This year’s theme is “building your garden in janah’ the lessons include the imams lead Isha prayer and special projecta for the last 10 nights of Ramadan. Children are safe, learning and positively engaged with their Masjid and with this blessed month while parents are able to take and extend the benefit of the 8 rakat of taraweh.

iMuslim

July 19, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Perhaps combine with “taraweeh tips” that have been offered in other MM articles: e.g., read the translation of the Quran to be recited that night together as a family. For young children who won’t understand as well, tell stories of the prophets, Jannah, Jahannum, manners, etiquette, etc., that will be mentioned. Then after the completion of the prayer unit, remind them of what you discussed earlier, “Did you hear the imam recite the story of Musa?”. Reinforcement through positive attention insha’Allah. :)

Hena Zuberi

July 21, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Great point Zee, esp if you are reading the tafseer and meaning anyways why not share a condensed version with the children.

Jessi Frenzel

July 19, 2013 at 11:08 AM

This is really great, mashaAllah. Thanks.

Hena Zuberi

July 21, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Jazakiilah Khayra for reading Jessi. May Allah help us raise righteous Muslimeen. The day this posted was the day my own daughter started chit chating. She had asked for a break so I said sure, as it was really late; so we can never be too relaxed :) It is easier when my husband has the boys and I have the girls but if he is ever at work during a Taraweeh it gets hard taking care of all four.

ahmed

July 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Idk that any of these work for teens. Im a youth grp person and I think kids don’t respect the masjid.

Hena Zuberi

July 21, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Teens are a category on their own- so much can be said about it. How were they raised? What are their parents expectation of them. For some parents its just enough that their kids are at the masjid and not at the mall. While others have inculcated the practice of taraweeh since they were young. How do you think teens who haven’t been taught about the hurma of the masjid can learn to respect the masjid?

maliurjmalikha

July 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Don’t ever blame the kids…they emulate the behavior of their parents. If you raise your children by educating them about proper adab(behavior) there is no way on this earth they are going to behave unruly when they are out. Let’s be real…Telling them to behave when they go to masjid and at home they act like renegades and rebels…just ain’t gonna get the outcome we all seek. So parents fulfill your obligation as parents…control your kids everyday …365 days a year so when Ramadan comes it’s like ,,,everything is normal. the children know their roles!

Hena Zuberi

July 21, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I agree that we cannot blame the young children. we have to be be proactive parents. Sometimes the best of parents may have children who are having an off day. I think empathy goes a long way.

muslimah24

July 20, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Asalamu Alaikum, Let me start off by saying I’m not against kids in the masjid (unless your child is wild). However, one thing I never hear Muslims mention is babysitting! (the kind that’s done at home) Why is our community so allergic to that word. Taraweeh is very late this year, a 5 year old should be at home, in bed, sleeping. Period. All the babysitter has to do is make sure things are okay in case he/she wakes up. Kids need routine and structure and muslim families are just not providing that.

Hena Zuberi

July 22, 2013 at 12:03 AM

wa ‘alay kummassalam wa rahmatulah,
      You are right. Many in our community are allergic to this word. Some can’t afford it or think that they cant afford it. Others like myself do not feel comfortable leaving the kids with a babysitter. Let me re-frame that; the only people I felt comfortable leaving my children with ever were my very close (after years of friendship) friends, close family, and young sisters from my community who I knew since they were kids themselves.

That is why I suggested kidpooling, which can be done at home.

I am not an intense routine oriented person; I couldn’t be as a stay at home mom with the schedule my husband has ( he doesn’t have a 9-5 job and keeping a strict schedule would mean kids not seeing Baba for days) and now when I am working as a reporter, my timings are also not set in stone.

Personally I think children should be raised to be adjustable to circumstances and surroundings. However, I recognize that there are parents whose parenting styles may differ from mine and who are comfortable with hired babysitters so your recommendation is a great one for them. Jazakillah khayra for reading and leaving a comment.

8. Pingback: Parents at Taraweeh – Making it Work « Islam in Australia .com

Yasmin

July 20, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Jazakallah khiar for these much needed post!

Hena Zuberi

July 21, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Wa alaykummassalam Sr. Yasmin
      Thanks for reading and leaving encouragement :)

aeelq

July 20, 2013 at 11:33 PM

trawee is a spiritual and an astonishing event that we all should participate

Hena Zuberi

July 22, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I agree. I didn’t grow up going to Taraweeh but alhamdulillah my kids are growing up with this ni’mah. My own father now recognizes what a blessing they are and realizes that it should be shared with the whole family. He arranges for a hafidh to come to the house and my parents, brother’s family and several neighbors all get to pray together.

Azleena

July 21, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Assalamualaikum, I always bring special books or toys that I keep specially for going to the masjid, so that if your masjid doesn’t have a babysitting option, when your child gets bored, instead of starting to sing or run around, you can take out the ‘ammunition’. At least it should keep them engaged for another 15-0 minutes, which is really all you need if you’re doing 8 raka’ah. I like the idea of announcing the names of well-behaved children. One point I think is important: When all else fails, LEAVE! Don’t ruin terawih for everyone else!

Hena Zuberi

July 22, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Wa alaykumasalam wa rahmatulah, May Allah keep your children on the path that brings them closest to Allah.
      Excellent point. Even a few minutes outside in fresh air can calm a child down.

Azleena

July 21, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I meant “…when your child gets bored, so (s)he doesn’t start singing/whining/running around, you can take out the ‘ammunition’.” :-)

13. Pingback: 80-20 Principle: 3 Ways Masjids Cater to a Small Minority At The Expense of the Congregation » MuslimMatters.org

Afreen

June 5, 2015 at 5:04 PM

Thats really a wonderful and important article.
    We really need this kind of information time to time.

Jaza kallah Khair

#Society

Eid Lameness Syndrome: Diagnosis, Treatment, Cure

How many of you have gone to work on Eid because you felt there was no point in taking off? No Eid fun. Have you ever found Eid boring, no different from any other day?

If so, you may suffer from ELS (Eid Lameness Syndrome). Growing up, I did too.

My family would wake up, go to salah, go out to breakfast, come home, take a 4+ hour nap and then go out to dinner. I didn’t have friends to celebrate with and even if I did, I wouldn’t see them because we stuck to our own immediate family just as they did.

On the occasion that we went to a park or convention center, we would sort of have fun. Being with other people was certainly better than breakfast-nap-dinner in isolation, but calling that a memorable, satisfying, or genuinely fun Eid would be a stretch.

I don’t blame my parents for the ELS though. They came from a country where Eid celebration was the norm; everyone was celebrating with everyone and you didn’t have to exert any effort. When they moved to the US, where Muslims were a minority, it was uncharted territory. They did the best they could with the limited resources they had.

When I grew up, I did about the same too. When I hear friends or acquaintances tell me that they’re working, doing laundry or whatever other mundane things on Eid, I understand.  Eid has been lame for so long that some people have given up trying to see it any other way. Why take personal time off to sit at home and do nothing?

I stuck to whatever my parents did for Eid because “Eid was a time for family.” In doing so, I was honoring their cultural ideas of honoring family, but not Eid. It wasn’t until I moved away that I decided to rebel and spend Eid with convert friends (versus family) who didn’t have Muslim families to celebrate with on Eid, rather than drive for hours to get home for another lame salah-breakfast-nap-dinner.

That was a game-changing Eid for me. It was the first non-lame Eid I ever had, not because we did anything extraordinary or amazing, but because we made the day special by doing things that we wouldn’t normally do on a weekday together. It was then that I made a determination to never have a lame Eid ever again InshaAllah.

I’m not the only one fighting ELS. Mosques and organizations are creating events for people to attend and enjoy together, and families are opting to spend Eid with other families. There is still much more than can be done, as converts, students, single people, couples without children and couples with very small children, are hard-hit by the isolation and sadness that ELS brings. Here are a few suggestions for helping treat ELS in your community:

Host an open house

Opening up your home to a large group of people is a monumental task that takes a lot of planning and strength. But it comes with a lot of baraka and reward. Imagine the smiling faces of people who would have had nowhere to go on Eid, but suddenly find themselves in your home being hosted. If you have a big home, hosting an open house is an opportunity to express your gratitude to Allah for blessing you with it.

Expand your circle

Eid is about commUNITY. Many people spend Eid alone when potential hosts stick to their own race/class/social status. Invite and welcome others to spend Eid with you in whatever capacity you can.

Delegate

You can enlist the help of close friends and family to help so it’s not all on you. Delegate food, setup, and clean-up across your family and social network so that no one person will be burdened by the effort InshaAllah.

Squeeze in

Don’t worry if you don’t have a big house, you’ll find out how much barakah your home has by how many people are able to fit in it. I’ve been to iftars in teeny tiny apartments where there’s little space but lots of love. If you manage to squeeze in even two or three extra guests, you’ve saved two or three people from ELS for that year.

Outsource Eid Fun

If you have the financial means or know enough friends who can pool together, rent a house. Some housing share sites have homes that can be rented specifically for events, giving you the space to consolidate many, smaller efforts into one larger, more streamlined party.

Flock together

It can be a challenge to find Eid buddies to spend the day with. Try looking for people in similar circumstances as you. I’m a single woman and have hosted a ladies game night for the last few Eids where both married and single women attend.  If you are a couple with young kids, find a few families with children of similar age groups. If you’re a student, start collecting classmates. Don’t wait for other people to invite you, make a list in advance and get working to fend off ELS together.

Give gifts

The Prophet ﷺ said: تَهَادُوا تَحَابُّوا‏ “Give gifts to increase love for each other”. One of my siblings started a tradition of getting a gift for each person in the family. If that’s too much, pick one friend or family member and give them a gift. If you can’t afford gifts, give something that doesn’t require much money like a card or just your time. You never know how much a card with kind, caring words can brighten a person’s Eid.

Get out of your comfort zone

If you have ELS, chances are there is someone else out there who has it too. The only way to find out if someone is sad and alone on Eid is by admitting that we are first, and asking if they are too.

Try, try, try again…

Maybe you’ve taken off work only to find that going would have been less of a waste of time. Maybe you tried giving gifts and it didn’t go well. Maybe you threw an open house and are still cleaning up/dealing with the aftermath until now. It’s understandable to want to quit and say never again, to relent and accept that you have ELS and always will but please, keep trying. The Ummah needs to believe that Eid can and should be fun and special for everyone.

While it is hard to be vulnerable and we may be afraid of rejection or judgment, the risk is worth it. As a survivor and recoverer of ELS, I know how hard it can be and also how rewarding it is to be free of it. May Allah bless us all with the best Eids and to make the most of the blessed days before and after, Ameen.

#Society

Broken Light: The Opacity of Muslim Led Institutions

Rehan Mirza, Guest Contributor

muslim led institutions

Habib Abd al-Qadir al-Saqqaf (may Allah have mercy on him and benefit us by him) explains how we are affected by the spiritual state of those around us.

Every person has rays which emanate from their soul. You receive these rays when you come close to them or sit in their presence. Each person’s rays differ in strength according to the state of their soul. This explains how you become affected by sitting in the presence of great people. They are people who follow the way of the Prophets in their religious and worldly affairs. When they speak, they counsel people. Their actions guide people. When they are silent they are like signposts which guide people along the path, or like lighthouses whose rays guide ships. Many of them speak very little, but when you see them or visit them you are affected by them. You leave their gatherings having been enveloped in their tranquillity. Their silence has more effect than the eloquent speech of others. This is because the rays of their souls enter you.

The Organizational Light

As a Muslim organizational psychologist, I know that organizations and institutions are a collective of these souls too. Like a glass container, they are filled colored by whatever is within them. So often Muslim organizations have presumed clarity in their organizational light and looked on with wonder as children, families, and the community wandered. The lighthouse keepers standing in front of the beacon wondering, “Where have the ships gone?”have

Our Muslim led institutions will reflect our state, actions, and decisions. I do believe that most of our institutional origins are rooted in goodness, but those moments remain small and fade. Our challenge as a community is to have this light of origin be fixed so that it can pulsate and extend itself beyond itself.

Reference is not being made regarding any specific type of institution and this is not a pointed critique, but rather a theory on perhaps why the effect our variety of institutional work wanes and dissipates. Any type of organization or institution — whether for profit or nonprofit, whether capital focused or socially conscious — that is occupied by the heart of a Muslim(s), must reflect light.

Our organizational light is known by an ego-less assessment of intentions, actions, and results. We must move our ‘self’ or ‘selves’ out of the way and then measure our lumens. If the light increases when we move out of the way, then it is possible that we — our ego, personality, objectives, intentions, degree of sacrifice, level of commitment, and possibly even our sincerity — may be the obstructions to our organizational lights.

The Personal Imperative

What will become of our institutions and their role for posterity if we neglect to evaluate where we stand in relation to the noble courses they mean to take? We may currently be seeing the beginning what this may look and feel like.

When was the last time you walked into a Muslim led institution and felt a living space that drew you in because of the custodians, leadership, individuals, and community that made up its parts? It was probably the last time you and I looked deeply inward at our lives — our intellect, our relationships, our purpose, our spiritual state, our work, our decisions, and our intentions. If we cleanse our hearts so infrequently the dust which settles can become thick making them opaque. And perhaps this individual and collective state is what limits the reach and impact of our communal work thus, resulting in the opacity of Muslim led institutions. Note: Lighthouse keepers clean the lens of the beacon every day.

We must consistently assess the intellectual, emotional, and spiritual loci of our individual and organizational states. They are not fixed givens. Rather, they are capricious states that necessitate vigilance and wara’. Being aware of this will help in our organizational design and work.

The Collective Affect

When we are prepared to evaluate the efficacy of Muslim led institutions with the inclusion of some form of spiritual assessment, we will give ourselves a better opportunity to determine where, how, and why we may be missing the mark. The inefficiencies and inattentiveness we have on an individual level can permeate our relationships, our work, and our organizations. As organizational leaders, we must critically assess the amount of light our work emanates to illuminate the lives of the people we serve.

These inward evaluations should be in the form of active and ongoing discussions we have internally with our teams and colleagues, and ourselves. If done with prudence and sincerity it will not only strengthen our organizations but our teams and us God-willing. This collective effort can lead to a collective effect for those we serve that inspires and guides. We — and our institutions — can then return to the Prophetic example of being beacons of light that help ourselves and others arrive to a place of sanctuary.

And Allah always knows best.

Mindful or Mind-full? Going From AutoPilot to Aware

Mindful

Modeling Mindfulness

Mindfull

“Remember that God knows what is in your souls, so be mindful of Him.”

[Sūrat al-Baqarah 2:235]

Mindful or Mind-full?

Ever felt frustrated when you were trying to talk to your spouse, your children, your students, or your youth group and they would just not pay attention? This is a prime example of being on autopilot and getting carried away without actually being aware of what is most important in the present moment.

A recent Harvard study shows that our minds are not present in the moment and wander about 47% of the time1. In a world of technology and continuous sensory overload, the lines between work and home, friends and family, necessity vs. purpose, world-centric vs. Allah-centric have become blurred. We are either living in the past or ruminating about the future, and in the process, we are forgetting to live, enjoy, cherish, and make the most of our present moments.

For parents, teachers, youth leaders, and anyone in the beautiful role of guiding, teaching, coaching, or mentoring others, we can make a huge difference by modeling Mindfulness ourselves. But where do we start? The answer is to go from autopilot to becoming aware.

Autopilot to Aware

Being on autopilot is when you are distracted in the present moment, where your mind is wandering into the past or the future, and you are less aware of yourself, surroundings, or others. Autopilot can actually be pretty helpful for your regular habits. Waking up, brushing your teeth, getting ready for your day, going to school or work – many of the things we do habitually every day can be done more seamlessly without having to think, and that is a good thing. But there are times when you have to learn to turn off your autopilot to become aware. But how?

Here is a Mindfulness tool that can be done in just a minute or two for you to become more aware.

Step 1: Breath as a Tool. Say Bismillah. Focus on your breath. See where you experience the breath – the breathing in and breathing out of your body. Is your breath stemming from your nostrils, your chest, or your stomach? Just bring your attention to your breath and relax and stay with it there for a few moments.

Step 2: Body as a Tool. Relax your body. We carry so many emotions in our bodies2. Our stress from the past or anticipation for the future sometimes finds its way into our necks, other times in our chest muscles or our backs. Pay attention to what emotions and sensations do you feel, and try to relax all parts of your body.

Step 3: Intention as a Tool. As you have centered your thoughts to the present moment through your breath and your body, ask yourself: “What is most important now? In this present moment?”

Just simply being aware makes us more mindful parents, teachers, youth and professionals – being aware makes us more Mindful of Allah SWT. Mindfulness is the ability to be aware of your mind and body and bring your attention to the present moment.

Mindful

Real Life in the Present Moment

You are an on-the-go parent: It has been a long day and you have to pick up the kids from school, but work is still pending. You’re picking up the kids from school, feeding them, and then shuffling everyone to their afterschool activities, be it Qur’an, softball, soccer, swimming, or the million other things that kids seem to have these days. You squeeze pending work in between drop-offs and pick-ups, and you function by living from one task to the next.

The Autopilot Impact: You’re getting a lot done, but are so engrossed in quickly moving your children along from one thing to another that you are unable to really cherish your time together.

The Mindfulness Suggestion: You can try to go from autopilot to awareness by focusing on your breath, paying attention to your emotions, and relaxing your body. As you do so, ask yourself: “What is most important now?” Make the intention to slow down, listen to the children more mindfully, and cherish and enjoy your time together.

You are a busy teacher: Last night you had to take all the grading home and spent two hours poring over students’ work. This morning, you woke up early to pick up some classroom supplies after dropping off your own kids to school. You’ve already had two cups of coffee and are trying to think through everything you have to do today. You like the idea of Mindfulness, living life in the present moment, and enjoying every day to its fullest, but your mind is not free to even enjoy the beautiful morning sunrise as you drive to school.

The Autopilot Impact: You want to listen and pay attention to every child’s needs, and enjoy the rewards of their growth, but you can’t. What’s more, you judge yourself for just trying to get through your activities for the day. You wish you could connect with your students better.

The Mindfulness Suggestion: Whenever you are stressed with an unpleasant parent or student interaction, think about breathing, relaxing your body, and asking what you need to focus on now. Try to do one thing at a time, and relax into what you’re doing.

You are an overstretched youth director: You are a role model. You have this major weekend event you are planning with the youth. Your budget is still pending from the board, you have to call all these people, have to get the graphics and remind everyone about the event, you have to visit all these masjids and MSAs to announce and remind people about the weekend.

This weekend’s theme is Living a Life of Purpose and you are super passionate about it. However, the whole week you have had a hard time remembering to even pray one Salah with focus. Instead, your mind has been preoccupied with all the endless planning for this weekend. You love what you do but you wonder how to also be mindful in your everyday worship while you are always prepping and planning engaging activities for the youth.

The Autopilot Impact: You enjoy shaping the youth but you are losing steam. You are always planning the next program and unable to focus on your own personal and spiritual development. It is difficult for you to pray even one salah without thinking about all the events and activities planned for that week.

The Mindfulness Suggestion: Get serious about taking some time for yourself. Know that becoming more mindful about your own prayers and self-development will also make you a better role model. Take a minute or two before every Salah to practice the simple, 3-Step Mindfulness Tool. You say Bismillah and breathe, focus your mind, and then relax your body. Empty your mind from everything else – what has past and what’s to come – and ask “What’s most important now?” to develop better focus in your Salah.

In Conclusion: Practice Simple but Solid Steps towards becoming more Mindful Muslims

Mindfulness is to open a window to let the Divine light in.

[Imam Al Ghazali]

Mindfulness gives us the ability to be aware. We can use Mindfulness tools to remember Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He), refocus, renew our intentions, and engage with the present moment in a more effective and enjoyable way. Mindfulness also invites awareness of our potential negligence in being our best selves with both Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) and His creation. To put it simply, being more aware of our selves can help us be better versions of our selves.

Mindfulness is both an art and a science, with brain and behavioral science research validating the importance of Mindfulness in improving our health, managing our stress, navigating our emotions, and positively impacting our lives3. In today’s modern and distracted world, let us treasure every tool that helps us center our attention on what matters the most.

1. Bradt, Steve (2010). Wandering mind not a happy mind. Harvard Gazette. https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2010/11/wandering-mind-not-a-happy-mind/
  2. Lauri Nummenmaa, Enrico Glerean, Riitta Hari, Jari K. Hietanen (2013). Bodily maps of emotions. National Academy of Sciences. https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/12/26/1321664111
  3. “What are the benefits of mindfulness,” American Psychological Association: http://www.apa.org/monitor/2012/07-08/ce-corner.aspx

To learn more about how to become mindful take the Define Course on Mindfulness and Emotional Intelligence.