Anti-Muslim Bigotry

Clarification and Notice | Sh Yasir Qadhi

A few months ago, an Islamophobic website posted an audio-clip in my voice, in which, so they claimed, I justify attacking all Christians. Based on this, they began claiming that I am a ‘jihadist’ preaching ‘radical jihad’ to Muslims in America.

Due to the preposterousness of the claim, and the xenophobic nature of those who propagated it, I felt it best to not even dignify this audio clip with a response, as anyone who has read my articles, taken my classes, or seen my videos will know this is completely untrue. However, recently, a number of other figures, including some esteemed religious pastors, have begun reiterating these same claims and spreading this audio clip. This has resulted in me receiving many queries, hate mails, and even death threats. Therefore, I feel compelled to respond to this audio-clip in order to clear up this fabrication.

This audio clip is a shoddy cut-and-paste job from a lengthy theological series (around 15 hours of audio) I gave many years ago, discussing the reality of the Islamic concept of shirk (associating partners with Allah). The series had absolutely nothing to do with politics or jihad. Rather, some theological statements from that lecture have been taped together and made to look political. The audio recording as it stands is a complete distortion. Someone literally took sentences from different parts of that series and constructed a very menacing sounding paragraph in my voice. As such, that paragraph in the audio clip is a complete fabrication.

In one section of that theological series, I discussed some of the differences between a category of shirk called ‘major’ and another called ‘minor’. One of those differences involves the fact that the theory of an ideal Islamic government would not allow Muslims to openly practice idolatry, whereas other forms of shirk (viz., ‘minor’ shirk) would not be punishable by an Islamic State. (This would be similar to Moses prohibiting the Israelites to worship the Golden Calf). While the wording of that sentence could have been more precise, it is clear from the context of that sentence (which is not quoted in the audio clip) that I am discussing a theoretical Islamic state and attempting to clarify some of the differences between ‘major’ and ‘minor’ shirk (I also list five other differences).

In a different section of that series, I mention that believing that God has a Son, or worshipping Jesus, would be in contradiction to the Islamic concept of monotheism, and be classified as a type of shirk. This is a standard Islamic (and Jewish) doctrine.

In a third section of that series, I quote the Quran directly when it describes idolatry as being ‘filthy’(similar to the Old Testament describing it as an ‘abomination’).

What this audio clip has done is to cut-and-paste these three statements (and more) in one paragraph, and thus give an impression that since Christians practice ‘shirk’, they should not be allowed to practice Christianity, and must also be ‘filthy’. Of course, this shoddy cut-and-paste job flies in the face of Islamic teachings, and cannot be attributed to Islam or to me.

Never have I claimed that Christians need to be prevented from practicing Christianity, or that they are filthy. This is truly a preposterous claim, as even the most basic exposure to Islamic law would demonstrate that non-Muslims are allowed to worship according to their doctrines in an Islamic state. Therefore (and I have made this point many times in my lectures), if this is the case in an ideal and theoretical ‘Islamic state’, how can anyone claim that Muslims want to ban Christianity in a non-Islamic land?

In conclusion, my views on jihad can be heard in my lectures and read in my articles (a simple Google will show most of them). In addition, quite a few articles have been written about me and my work (in particular, I reference the New York Times Magazine cover article about me). My message has been consistent and clear: I am a Muslim theologian and teach (and preach) the theology of Islam, but I have never called for violence against any group or religion.

I have made mistakes in the past (and no doubt will continue to do so in the future); however, what this website, with its concocted audio-clip, is accusing me of is an all-out fabrication and sheer slander. It completely contradicts my talks, writings, public and private work, and indeed my own personal beliefs.

I hope this clarifies the misunderstandings surrounding this audio.

Yasir Qadhi

Sh. Dr. Yasir Qadhi is someone that believes that one's life should be judged by more than just academic degrees and scholastic accomplishments. Friends and foe alike acknowledge that one of his main weaknesses is ice-cream, which he seems to enjoy with a rather sinister passion. The highlight of his day is twirling his little girl (a.k.a. "my little princess") round and round in the air and watching her squeal with joy. A few tid-bits from his mundane life: Sh. Yasir has a Bachelors in Hadith and a Masters in Theology from Islamic University of Madinah, and a PhD in Islamic Studies from Yale University. He is an instructor and Dean of Academic Affairs at AlMaghrib, and the Resident Scholar of the Memphis Islamic Center.

Ubaid Seth

July 3, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I’m sorry you’re going through this, Shaykh. This is pure deception and a reflection of their own morals and values. If someone has to resort to lies to discredit you, I take that as a good indication that you’re doing well. May Allah bless you and your family for the service to the Ummah and I hope this doesn’t discourage any of our youth from pursuing Islamic knowledge.

Liz Litts

December 10, 2015 at 9:38 PM

You rag heads aren’t fooling anyone. Just try to steal our propetery and you will see aloa snack bar real soon.

LoveYourNeighbor

December 17, 2015 at 12:06 PM

“Teach us to be patient and always to be kind.” Liz Litts, you need to keep praying that prayer, and perhaps seek some anger management counseling.
        Dr. Qadhi, I am so sorry that these hurtful allegations were made against you.

Old

April 13, 2016 at 11:55 PM

Liz Litts, do you read? You cannot have read Dr Yasir Qadhi’s explication.

Will

September 14, 2016 at 11:19 PM

Liz, the two greatest commandments -according to Jesus Christ- are too love your God and to love your neighbor. As an example of who your neighbor is, he told the Parable of the Good Samaritan, in which multiple men of the victims own nation pass him by to avoid being “unclean” and yet his “neighbor” turns out to be someone who is his mortal enemy. This man gave a very plausible explanation fo rwhat happened with the original clip that was being shared around, yet you choose to ignore it simply because his name for God is different from yours. Ontop of it all, you disgrace your God and your faith by making such statements as you do in your post (by the way, those can actually be considered death threats which, being transmitted over the internet, is a felony offense. Jail time, anyone?) Lastly, before you assume I’m a follower of Allah and write this entire statement off, I was born and raised a Lutheran, which is the religion responsible for most every religion of the protestant (non-Catholic) variety today, but am now an atheist, which means I don’t believe in any of your imaginary friends.

Lyñ Fallah

September 20, 2016 at 8:46 AM

I’m so sorry you feel this way.
        I am a Christian and have many Muslim friends, they are the kindest friends and have helped me through many difficulties during the past 35 years.
        Yes, there are some radical extremists but not all Muslims are extremists.
        You’re missing out on some wonderful friendships with having your hateful attitude.
        And it seems to me that you’re the one spreading hate, not most muslims.
        Most muslims just want to live in a free society and be free to practice their religion, just like Christians. They are not trying to take over the United States and kill all of us.
        If you lose your fear and actually talk and get to know music them, you’ll find that yes, while there are some that hate us, there are many more who just wants to live in peace. You’ll find that the same is true for American’s too!

sharon

December 15, 2015 at 10:37 AM

But your quran tells you it is ok to lie to further islamic ideology. So we infidels cannot trust anything that you say! It is islam that tells you to deceive the world! That is because you worship a false god and false prophet who are inspired by satan himself. Your ideology contains all of the characteristics of satan that we are warned about by God and his son Jesus Christ in the Holy Bible. Turn to the one true God who is filled with love, not hate that allah demands you spread.

Atif Siddiqui

March 27, 2016 at 7:18 AM

Why should anybody “lie” to spread one’s ideas ?? Do you think we are fly-by-night salesmen ?? We are charging you for spreading Islamic ideology ?? We would “spread” it to you and then run away with your money ?? By the way – there is only one God……so no question of a false God.

Cindy

May 2, 2016 at 1:22 AM

Exactly. It’s called Taqiyya.

Jack Keg

September 14, 2016 at 9:08 PM

Amen Sharon, Amen.

John Rogers

September 19, 2016 at 11:34 AM

Excellent rebuttal

Ken Jennings

September 15, 2016 at 1:15 PM

Your message of apology has been heard and understood by each person in the way that God , Himself would have each to percieve it. Enough said of your issue. My point being , that unless you have come to the United States of America to join us here in your search for a better way of life, then the preaching of your faith should be done back in your own homeland. This nation was founded by God fearing and loving men and women who sacrificed and strove to make a place where all could be equal. Our country I am sorry to say has faltered in it’s purpose by allowing the contamination of it’s belief system by many false doctrines being spread because we do believe in freedom for all. God Almighty and His Son Jesus , with the Holy Spirit must now rescue this land from the many satanic attacks being perpetrated in many names. I bear no personal malice toward you, but you have been led astray. There is only one true God , and one way to Heaven , Jesus Christ , King of Kings , Lord of Lords. Call on His Name and you shall be saved. You will begin to walk in the Light. Be blessed.

Royce

September 17, 2016 at 8:11 PM

Everything about Islam is detrimental to a free society. Freedom in itself is not part of Islam and Muslims are commanded to Lye to Non Muslims so who is to know if this Man is telling the truth or not. As Muslims you are sworn to convert, kill or enslave myself and all NON MUSLIMS. Want to be trusted? Renounce Islam for the abomination it is and come to the People of the Book. Come to the people whom believe in the one true GOD and not a false Idol. We await your arrival.

Shabeeb

July 3, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I’ve undertaken many lectures and lessons from Sh. Yasir and it is very unfortunate that he is going through this. What’s pitiful is how can people who hear the audio conclude that this is what he’s preaching, the audio is clearly a cut and paste piece of junk. May Allah protect the Sheikh and make this situation easy.

Fatima

July 3, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Assalamu alaikum Sh. Yasir,

May Allah Ta’ala help you through this ordeal, Aameen.

You should take legal action against slander with the help of MLF or other attorneys in your community in sha’ Allah.

Shonna

September 20, 2016 at 9:07 PM

That’s why you all have CAIR….right? CAIR, in itself is a terrorist organization. Your religion can’t coexist with any other. Why did you come to America?

4. Abdul Wahab Saleem

Abdul Wahab Saleem

July 3, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Over my years of being an avid follower of Sh. Yasir Qadhi and his thought, I have come across many who take him as a friend and a few who take him as a foe. I have never heard a more absurd allegation directed against Sh. Yasir than this. May Allah preserve and protect him!

alynch4047

July 3, 2013 at 3:41 PM

It’s an irritation to have to respond to fabricators and liars but sometimes necessary. Your truthfulness stands in clear contradistinction to the lying efforts of these people. May God reward you for your patience, wassalaam, Abdulhaq

Nida

July 4, 2013 at 7:51 AM

May Allah protect you and your family Shaykh. Its unfortunate that such garbage needs a response, but it does before it becomes too widespread. If you are getting death threats, I would suggest reporting them to the police and not ignoring them.

7. Abez

Abez

July 7, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Yasir Qadhi’s work speaks for itself, and the fact that someone has to fabricate something to make him look bad is proof of that.

Ya Shaykh, May Allah reward you and increase you in blessings. May He preserve your “honor” in this world and raise you in ranks in Jannah, InshaAllah. :)

Imtiaz Rashid

December 11, 2015 at 3:27 AM

May Allah help all the scholars & Muslim Ummah in this difficult time & false propaganda of some groups for political gains….surely they will be defeated …Insha`Allah.

Everyone's Mama Rachel

April 14, 2016 at 12:12 AM

Sorry — the nutty CINO (Christians In Name Only) are dragging this fabrication around again in 2016.

Lyñ Fallah

September 20, 2016 at 8:54 AM

Amen. I will never understand the lies and hate of the people who call themselves loving Christians.
        May God forgive them.

Nam

July 13, 2013 at 3:29 PM

SubhanaAllah. May Allah rectify your affairs, ameen

I don’t think we realize the struggles our shuyoukh go through to teach us. May Allah have mercy on them and protect them and their families, ameen

Muslims4Liberty

November 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM

not acknowledging their propaganda and rhetoric is exactly what they want. They want to spread their hate unchecked. That’s why we created Muslims 4 Liberty. A group devoted to challenging the haters on their own ground, at their events, in front of their fans. Academic challenging, asking for references, challenging knowledge levels. All done in a respectful ‘guerilla activism” style.

The haters hate to be challenged, nice to see a mainstream islamic speaker finally bellying up to the bar.

DBW

April 26, 2016 at 9:36 AM

I am speaking as a Christian. And I am very sorry that Dr. Qadhi is having to deal with this xenophobic reaction and character assassination.

The problem is to acknowledge the propaganda is also what haters want. It does not matter if you answer or not. They will try to use your words or your silence against you either way. To use an old Southern American phrase (and please forgive the use of a non-Halal metaphor): “Never get in a wrestling contest with a pig. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.”

It’s one of those issues where no matter what you do, the options are not good. That is perhaps why in the Proverbs of Solomon you have two sayings, “Do not answer a fool according to his folly,” and “Answer a fool according to his folly.” Sometimes it is useful, sometimes it isn’t–but it is always a challenge.

Mimo

May 11, 2016 at 11:11 PM

Can someone post the original uncut version??

allan

September 15, 2016 at 6:58 AM

as a christian you should not infer other Christians are pigs.Neither should you call others Phobic. that is slanderous and also an
        indication of hatred and discrimination which is counterproductive to the statement you are conveying is it not?

Lyñ Fallah

September 20, 2016 at 8:59 AM

I agree with you. I am a Christian and have Muslim friends, beautiful hearts and smart minded individuals.
        Seems to me like more Christians than muslims are spreading the hate.
        I know fear has a lot to do with it but if they trust and believe in God, what do they have to fear?

Swaleh

November 10, 2013 at 8:29 PM

May Allah protect our shuyoukh and grant them steadfastness so that they can continue to benefit us with their great work, Ameen

rayz

November 10, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Assalamu alaikum Sh. Yasir,

May Allah Azzawajal help you through this ordeal. Ameen

Safa Anwar

November 10, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Sheikh yasir, your best attorney is Allah SWT. InshAllah you will be given justice. I hope this hate clears up against you inshAllah.

Sheena

November 10, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Yasir Qadhi’s work has helped me growing my knowledge and I can tell that the fabricated claims are far away from his and Islam’s teaching.

I pray that Allah make this ordeal easy for him and make him steadfast and protect his honor ameen

Allama Iqbal (@iqbaliyat)

November 11, 2013 at 12:27 AM

If this is true then somebody is dedicating their time in doing this stuff to malign you. And for this matter they are ready to go to any extent to malign you. My advice is that you must take help from a professional lawyer who is trustworthy also. In fact I advice you to learn the Constitutional laws which are related to these events.
    This experience I am telling is based on Hollywood movies, believe me, there is a tinge of truth in such movies.
    Also if we look into the history of Islam, we can find such events. If we do not respond in a timely manner then it will be too late, History will repeat again.

Nadia

November 11, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Alhumdulillah, Yasir Qadhi has helped me in many ways with his classes and lectures in guiding me to my Islamic faith. He is one of the most well-respected sheikhs out there and without a doubt what these Islamophobes are saying about him are truly disappointing and hurtful. Without him in this Ummah and his knowledge, I and other Muslims would be far away from where we stand now.

May Allah SWT help you Sheikh Yasir Qadhi and protect you from these claims along with your family as well, ameen.

Ummer Farooq (@faro0485)

November 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I think rather than just making a statement, you should go after the makers of this and with a video… ask them why they cut and pasted your speech.

@stevestonesr

November 11, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I stand by my Brother, Yasir, and know him to be a person of peace who works to unite people of all faiths at those points where we share common values. There are differences between all peoples of the major Abrahamic faiths, but what binds us together is plenty enough to work together for the common good, and to the glory of the one true God.

Halima

November 12, 2013 at 5:06 AM

May Allah protect you from the defamers and fabricators. Us Muslims should help by donating to fund legal costs for you and for any other of our brothers and sisters who go through this all the time.

Habesha Muslimah

November 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM

The muslim Ummah need precious Muslim scholars like sheikh Dr. Yassir Qadhi. I’m sure that Allah (swt) has guided many young Muslims through him to go back to their deen and practice it and I’m proud to say that I’m one of them! May Allah continue to bless him and may he protect him from all evils and reward him with the greatest rewards.

Amiyn al-Ansare

June 19, 2014 at 12:30 AM

On the topic of Islamaophobia, Dr. Yasir, do you think it is worthwhile to debate Robert Spencer and David Wood (both of them in particular). I honestly am dissatisfied with the reality that they debate Muslims who are only about 60% prepared to correct the misunderstandings that these two men spread about various controversies such as the satanic verses incident, which you explained adequetely, barik ALLHU feek. I also dislike how they quickly jump to conclusions about certain personalities in Islamic scholarship being widely accepted by the masses of Muslims, but the do not appear to recognize those who strive to adhere to orthodox and those who do not ascribe to strange notions of such personalities.

In my humble opinion, you, barik ALLAHU feek, are likely the most prepared to debate these men in the manner which they public claim to seek:

Without relying on the ‘Tu quoque’ , which David Wood says is Muslims using biblical references or realities in Christianity to say that “your religion has these problems too”, and without denying early historical references. Clearly, these men to not often understand that unreliability of the references they use, but often their opponents are not expert enough to clarify this reality. You’ll see exactly what I’m talking about here in Wood’s debate with Ali Atie:

Thomas Maynard

August 3, 2014 at 9:39 AM

I guess the easiest way to refute the allegations in the video, is to post one where you say people of other religions are able to co exist in this country with out the fear of reprisals from another. Saying you didn’t say it……..is one thing. Saying you do not believe in what was said is another. It is well known that it is OK to lie to a non Muslim ……….so what was said here has to be taken with a grain of salt.

David

December 9, 2015 at 8:06 PM

Exactly. Believe nothing they say.

Mischele

April 27, 2016 at 9:12 AM

WELL SAID ; I BELIEVE HE MADE THIS SPEECH LONG AGO ; HE EVEN ADMITS”MAKING MISTAKES”… HE SAID ; NOW WANT TO RECANT IT !!!!!

Samson Valnery

August 3, 2014 at 5:52 PM

there is so much hate towards muslims it has began to make me sick just like christians have the radicals the southern baptist there are the radicals in the muslim faith just because there are a few bad apples does not mean all are and the christians can not say they have not stained their hands with blood at one time either look at salem and the grail wars just to name a few extreme radicalism is not new and to those who truly believe that we can live and let live thank you sorry you have to deal with these issues you face i have several friends who are muslim though i may not be they are and they are very dear friends of which i care very much for wish you the best of luck and may Allah your god bless you for being tolerant when so many who claim to be are not

Julia

August 4, 2014 at 4:06 AM

If they have misused what you said to concoct their own story, it is a vile thing. But the war on propaganda on ‘both sides’ is thriving. And I find it hard to believe islam is willing to coincide peacefully with other religions. islam does not appear to be a very peaceful religion, and it seems to have zero tolerance for other religions. One simply needs to look around in the world, to see what happens in islamic countries to people of other faiths. You could argue that there is a peaceful majority, but that doesn’t seem to have much impact. my conclusion is that islam is a threat to us Christians and the western countries should be much more agressive in dealing with religious issues. We are MUCH too tolerant when it comes to other religions and that hasn’t brought us much good, so far. I am a very tolerant person and my faith has taught me to love and respect others, to show grace and to forgive. But multiple encounters have proven to me islam is NOT that kind of religion. It wants to conquer, and erase all that is different. So, talk about peacefully living together, seems to be an utopia. This will probably be proven in the reactions that may be given to my little contribution. I WISH we could live peacefully together, but both your book AND mine, tell a different story.

Dave

December 11, 2015 at 7:56 PM

I bought a copy of Reliance of the Traveller, which is the classic manual of Islamic sacred law, better known as Sharia Law. It continues to help me see who and what islam really is..

Mansoor

December 12, 2015 at 7:06 AM

You cannot recite Adhan (call for Muslim prayer) in public in Britain however there is no bar and you can hear church bells ringing on Sunday mornings all over my country i.e. Pakistan. Still Islam is blamed to be a threat to Christianity. You have to read the chapter on Mary in Quran to know how honorable Mary and Jesus are to Muslims.

John Rogers

September 19, 2016 at 11:42 AM

I am in total agreement with Julia.

Wayne

August 4, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Interesting rhetoric.

Your words defended those Muslims who teach to kill Christians. So, I ask, which offends you more? The hideous teachers of murder, or that your words were used against you?

As a Christian, I am offended when someone says I am a polytheist. I am not, nor have I ever been a polytheist. So, had someone twisted what I have taught to imply I was a polytheist, I would be more offended by the polytheism than I would be offended by their use of my words.

Wayne
    Luvsiesous.com

25. Pingback: KOMMONSENTSJANE – PROFESSOR SPEWS HATE | kommonsentsjane

Tabea

August 20, 2015 at 3:26 PM

Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu, dear brother Yasir,
    I’d recommend you to publish the original audio tapes. That’s the best way to prevent any misunderstandings and to completely clarify the video.

May Allah bless you and your family

David Dayne

October 21, 2015 at 12:17 AM

What is your position on the genocide of Christians throughout the world at the hand of extremists or in the name of Ala or Muhammad?

Keith Henderson

October 21, 2015 at 11:59 PM

We had the same type of problems when the Prophet Joseph Smith Jr. Restored the Church in 1830 …he received the Brass Plates of Laban & the Gold plates from the ancient American prophet Moroni. …which he translated from the modified Egyptian tongue into English. .hence we have the Book of Mormon for all of God’s childern. …but he was hunted and tares & feathered by the mobs ..eventually the Prophet Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum Sealed there testimony in blood at the hands of mobs in Illinois.
    So yes individuals can take your words and twist them for evil designs….because of this type of behavior it wasn’t until Ronald Reagan was president of the USA that the law that was on the books in the state of Missouri was put away or removed since it was put into effect in the 1830’s …to kill all the Mormons in that state ..

Teressa

October 22, 2015 at 12:58 AM

thanks for clarifying. I dont know ️you, but that someone would do that to you is just wrong. Keep teaching, and be blessed.

Earl

October 22, 2015 at 6:29 PM

I carry bacon bites in my truck so I can bacon coat my money as I use it, I love going to Muslim stores and doing it,

please buy products from Muslim stores with bacon coated money, good day.

Brad

October 22, 2015 at 8:51 PM

Clarification and notice to you. We know what your “holy book” commands you to do to Christians and Jews and how to treat them. People like myself listen to what Muslims like you say to each other, not what you say to the useful idiots here in America that think the way to have peace is to appease your cultish Sharia Law.. So this is fair warning. If you really think that Muslims are entitled to “take the property of Jews and Christians”, I live in Tampa Florida. I invite you to lead by example and try to take my property or my life. Another fair warning, you’re not going to be fighting an unarmed women or child. Bring it you [deleted expletives].

*This comment was edited by the MM Comments Team in order to comply with our Comments Policy*

Mohammed Khan

December 5, 2015 at 3:25 AM

Dr. Yasir Qadhi,

May Allah protect you. I have found all your writings tolerant of all religions which is the case in Islam. Quran says “there is no compulsion in religion”.

Shannon Ealy

December 6, 2015 at 10:37 PM

I don’t believe you, nor do I trust any Muslim. I have seen first hand the treachery and debauchery that goes with your faith. Pedophilic men and beaten obedient women. If you dislike what is said in my country, go back to your own, or stay and face judgement by me who are not afraid to bring violence upon you and your kind.
    I believe it was stated earlier that if you and other Muslims wish to live peacefully in our country you should show how much you dispise what is being said about you and what is happening with the “radical Muslims “. Stand up against them! Protest against them! I have yet to see one Muslim protest the acts of ISIS or ISIL. Pretty soon your neck will be against the knife and we won’t ask you to accept Jesus as your savior. Do the right thing and opinions could change.

Christian

December 10, 2015 at 11:56 AM

To each and every muslim here .. search your hearts and minds on this .. which of you entertains Christian friends or has, at the very least, donated time, money, or effort, towards a single Christian cause in need of help .. ever? Why do you not even support your own? Where is your support? While you fight amongst yourselves over how to pray, who to believe, what parts of the quran you choose to believe and others to shelve, for now .. when will your religion ever be attractive towards everyone’s benefit .. not just your own .. you’ve got more than a little growing up to do.

Aly Balagamwala

December 14, 2015 at 5:15 AM

Dear Christian

I not only have entertained many Christian friends both in US and Pakistan but I have also donated to causes which were led by Christian organizations. I have done the same for Hindu, Jain, Sikh, Buddhist, Agnostic and Atheist friends as well. I have no qualms for supporting humanitarian causes regardless of which faith is spearheading the effort.

Best Regards
      Aly

*Comment above is posted in a personal capacity and may not reflect the official views of MuslimMatters or its staff*

Tanveer Chowdhury

December 10, 2015 at 4:56 PM

Dear Shaykh Yasir- I stand with you InshaAllah. May Allah SubhanAllahu Ta’la help you through this trial, bestow his Rahma’ on you and on your family and give you the patience and the courage to overcome this. Ameen.

Naima

December 23, 2015 at 3:41 AM

Dear sheik Yassir,
      Remember what our prophet and the early Muslims have gone through. It is a test of Allah. In today’s time even if you are innocent such as in your case they will still find fault in you because they see Islam the problem and the more you practise Islam the more you are seen as a big threat. But remember the final judge is Allah. Keep doing what you are doing. Great sheik you are indeed and an inspiration for many. May Allah protect you from the evil of today and the judgement day , a meen.

Amber

December 10, 2015 at 7:44 PM

May Allah swt protect you Shaykh Yasir, the truth will eventually prevail.Maa sha Allah,You have been a great mentor and a teacher.I have heard you speak nothing against Islam nor have you in your speeches encouraged Jihad.Our prayers are always with you.May Allah swt bring you out of this darkness with even more brilliance that you shine the whole world with your genuine knowledge of Islam,Ameen.
    For those who claim this land is theirs, to them neither does it belongs to them nor to us but the whole universe belongs to Allah swt.The one God and creator of the universe and if someone had any right to live on his land, then it is only justified that it be his worshippers and his obdient slaves.
    My religion,Islam for sure promotes peace and harmony.
    What about yours,hatred and racism?

Frank Driver

December 11, 2015 at 1:06 AM

You claim in a non Islamic state that Christians would be allowed to practice their faith! I have a problem with a religion, being a form of Government! The term govern has meaning, which conflicts with religion! Islam is not any form of Justice and or free will! To educate means to learn both or all sides, freedom means to use that knowledge! Knowledge that men and women are equals, that religion does not make a person right! Nor does it make a person wrong! Here are things about Islam I dislike, it is wrong to lie period, character is character! Having different values with different people is wrong! I would like you to stand up against problems within this religion that are wrong! I would like for you to stop trying to justify wrongs within this religion! People are not perfect neither are all religions, especially Islam !

Mohamed Sulub

December 11, 2015 at 6:13 AM

Asalmau Aleikum Sheikh Yasir,

May Allah’s peace, mercy, protection and blessings be upon you during this difficult time. All my prayers be with you in shaa Allah.

Clayton

December 11, 2015 at 10:04 AM

As an American Christian, I wish to apologize. I am sorry for the way my “brothers” have treated you. We have sinned. We claim to follow Jesus, but yet we ignore his commands to love all people when we would rather fear and hate. I wish I could change their hearts. I am sorry.

Corporal Clegg

December 11, 2015 at 11:55 AM

This is a lie. The only way an “infidel” can practice his/her religion in an islamic state is as a dhimi. The dhimi has no rights compared to a muslim. A muslim can graze his goats in the dhimi’s field and destroy his crops and the dhimi cannot question this because he is below the muslim and has no rights. If the “infidel” is allowed to practice their religion in islamic states why have islamic states forbid jews from enterning? As to preaching violence against others, the teaching and preaching of islam in and of itself is a preaching of violence against the “non-believers”. Smite them (the non-believers) at their necks. I guess in arabic language “smite” has a non violent meaning.

blabla

December 11, 2015 at 1:59 PM

Taqyyia at its best

Joy

December 11, 2015 at 5:22 PM

Dear sir,
    As a Christian, I would like to apologize for all the hateful comments which have been made previous and post to mine. I don’t agree with your statements, on the supposedly falsified post or this one. However, if what you say is true and that video was a fake, I’m truly sorry. We are taught in the Bible that lying is a sin and unacceptable. We are also taught to love our neighbors, enemies, those who hate us and curse us; because when we speak or act we are not just speaking or acting for ourselves, we are representing God.
    Our holy book tells us to “Let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” (Matthew 5:16) It also states “Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation.” (1 Peter 2:12)
    That is why it is heartbreaking for me to read the unbelievable comments made by some of the people on this post who claim to be Christians but aren’t exhibiting Christ’s love or conduct. It is not for us to judge the world, but to love it.
    Again, I am sorry for the injustice done to you, and (I mean in no way to offend you when I say) I pray that God will bless you, keep you, and make His face to shine upon you, that you would know Him and be saved.
    To all Christians reading this post: PLEASE think before you speak, act, comment, and threaten: “Is this something Jesus would say?”, “Will this be edifying?”, and “Will this glorify God?”

Nancy Savignac

December 11, 2015 at 10:38 PM

I am a Christian. I am called by Christ to love everyone and that includes Muslims, even the kind who don’t like me much. I think most Muslims are loving caring people. We must all pray. Nancy

Carlos

December 12, 2015 at 12:10 AM

I personally have nothing against individuals of any religious affiliation that understand the individuals rights of life And freedom , and I understand that in every culture nation and religion there is things that sometimes make no sense to others but when it comes to the Islamic idiology , culture and religious believes in general is really hard for me to understand how overall in general in the Islamic culture there is little or cero tolerance toward diversity specially in nations where Islam is the dominant factor but these people expect others to be tolerant toward them , most non Islamic nations in the world are tolerant to have Mosques in their territory’s but it’s impossible to have a church or a sinagogue in some Islamic nstions

Carol

December 12, 2015 at 11:19 AM

I think it’s sad that thinking that God made all these races and has allowed many religions to exist today, to give some muslims the right to think they can force other’s to submit to a god of war. To think that the arabic language is the only language recognized by god is insane. Please let other’s live how ever they choose…in the end they will give account.if that’s to hard for you then move out of the USA because inciting terror is not welcomed.

B Wilson

December 12, 2015 at 11:39 PM

From a follower of Jesus to a follower of Allah – peace be to you.

I am sorry that you have suffered this slander and the associated persecution. It revolts me.

I will pray for you, and of your charity, pray for me.

In peace and mutual respect,

– A Christian

Bowie

December 13, 2015 at 4:06 PM

Well I certainly hope you don’t think you can just take properties from Christians and Jews in the democratic world – unless you would want to spend some time in a penitentiary! Thou shalt not steal.

Antonio Garcia

December 15, 2015 at 10:42 AM

The Koran encourages Muslins to kill Christians and Jews and lie about it if it suits them (taqiyya).that is the problem

Patrick

December 18, 2015 at 12:07 AM

#Taqiyya!
    REALLY? Show my a Christian Church in Saudi Arabia? Lmao

R

December 23, 2015 at 6:37 AM

Taqiyya……….

Brian

April 15, 2016 at 8:53 AM

I appreciate your explanation. I came across the recording and it was very disturbing, especially the part describing how Muslims can take lives and property of infidels. But, in light of the violence propagated by followers of Islam onto the world over the past few years, it is hard to ignore such recordings. I believe it is time that mainstream Islam stand up and denounce the actions of radical Jihadists. Some Moslems have done that individually, but the recognizable organizations (CAIR, MSA, etc…) have taken steps to impose the responsibilities to non-muslims to conform to sharia, even going as far as lobbying for laws t make it illegal to be critical of Islamic practices.

Daniel

May 1, 2016 at 3:43 AM

Yes, perhaps he can help clear this up by clearly stating when and under which circumstances Muslims are allowed or not allowed to take the lives and property of Jews and Christians. Perhaps he can comment on how Muslims all over the world are killing infidels and taking their property (in particular, ISIS, of course). I would be very interested in hearing his comments on this.

Inshirah

May 3, 2016 at 4:08 PM

I ask Allahswt to Protect you and the Loved Ones…Always, to accept your Service and Sacrifice and to Bless you with the Highest Rewards…Aameen!

Rick Halpern

June 22, 2016 at 10:08 AM

It’s obvious that your correction did not include how you want to treat Jews.
    All Islamic attempts to wage war on Jews & Israel will ultimately fail.
    Islam’s major contribution to the modern world is terror. Not much of a religion of peace.

Syed Kamal

July 7, 2016 at 10:02 AM

Professor you are a liar, pure and simple. Now that people are aware of your philosophy and the environment has changed you are changing your tune. The medieval ideas you expressed are fully endorsed by the Qaran your holybook. Your explanation is just a turn to avoid consequences of your true beliefs.

Stacie L Moore

August 9, 2016 at 11:30 AM

All of the world’s major religions have one core message… “Do unto others as you would have it done unto yourself”. This is also known as the Golden Rule, you reap what you sow, etc. Anything that goes against this spiritual law will wreak destruction upon itself… Could this be why the Middle East is in such turmoil? Ask yourself, dear professor, is this stuff you’re teaching to other human beings going against this universal law? If so, then you are teaching destruction… which is evil. If not, then you have no need to defend yourself.

Eric Taylor

August 11, 2016 at 10:41 PM

Centuries of existence, still Tribal Law ensues. A quick definition from the Cambridge Dictionary – TRIBALISM: a very strong feeling of loyalty to a political or social group, so that you support them whatever they do! Carry on!

Imran

September 14, 2016 at 6:40 PM

You said it was from a speech you did 15years ago does that mean you think about cheistian like that at that time and that was your thoughts?

Gary

September 15, 2016 at 7:57 AM

BS, How do you feel of what happened to the Armenians, Coptics and Greeks? Renounce those attrocities on video, and I may believe you. But your religion has a 2000 year history of genocide.

John Smegly

September 15, 2016 at 8:34 AM

I can accept much of your statement except this : “This is truly a preposterous claim, as even the most basic exposure to Islamic law would demonstrate that non-Muslims are allowed to worship according to their doctrines in an Islamic state.” Christians are NOT allowed to worship “according to their doctrines” in an Islamic state. In every Muslim country Christians live a dhimmmi and must hide their faith. Historically, they’ve even been forced to wear yellow badges (like the Nazis did to the Jews) and pay punitive taxes. In many countries, not only are they not allowed to openly practice their faith, they are specifically targeted FOR their faith and blood-libel is spread about them to encourage their murder. An in still more countries – the Islamic State would be one – even being identified as Christian makes them a target for death. In pretty much every Muslim country, the accusation of “blasphemy against Mohammed” is thrown against Christians regularly with the purpose of persecuting them and taking their stuff. So, this portion of your statement is clearly taqiyya. There are also many hadith in which the principles that you lay out in the doctored video are clearly stated – that Christians are considered “accursed” by Allah and their wives, children, and property are forfeit. In one particular hadith Mohammed basically says “See that Infidel’s house – he is cursed by Allah and his stuff belongs to you – take it!” So, claiming this is not Islamic doctrine is also taqiyya whether its a belief you hold or not.

Strong Faith Christian

September 17, 2016 at 10:31 AM

Is it not, written in your Quran, telling you it is ok to lie and deceive Christians? And you now want us to believe this B.S you are trying to push out your mouth. As the name implies,so does the standard of being. You parade your religion as peaceful, and it is not by the admission of your Quran. doesn’t matter if you are radical or not, your Quran tells you to kill,rape,enslave in the name of Allah. Christians serve a Living God.He commands us not to lie,steal,rape or murder. The Islamic Muslim faith, cannot say that, without lying.

Terry

September 20, 2016 at 8:12 AM

The problem, as I see it, lies squarely with the Muslim faith. We read, and hear, daily the words of hate towards others in the Islamic holy text. Yes it is written and therefore cannot be denied by any one who follows the Islamic faith. In this country Americans see and hear many Muslim holy leaders speak of hatred towards others. Mainly hate towards westerners and towards Isreal. I have heard lessons being taught to school children to kill the Jews. We also see and hear on a daily basis of Christian’s being kidnapped, tortured, and killed by Muslims. What I have not seen are Christains bombing or beheading Muslims. Yes, I have seen footage of many Muslims celebrating the 9/11 attacks even in this country. I will openly admit that we have our own nut cases such as Timothy McVay and the Westbourgh Baptist. The main difference is that our own nut cases are few where we hardly ever experience any trouble from those few and when we do, we see the vast majority publicly denounce these freaks. With the Islamic faith, on the other hand bombings, killings, and other criminal acts occur on a daily basis. I will also add that we vary rarely see vast majority of Muslims denouncing these terrorist acts. I would be ashamed if I were a Muslim in the fact that when a bombing occurs people automaticly think blame Muslim and 9 out of 10 times are correct in their assumptions. To say the problem is not a problem with Islam is foolish. Especially when these Islamic problems have been present through out the centuries.
    Call me a racist if it makes you feel better, however my thoughts of Muslims being savages comes directly from the ideals and actions I have seen concerning the Islamic faith. Maybe a Muslim can explain the treatment given to women treating them worse than animals in many Muslim countries. Family I have living in Europe have told me of the many savage actions of Muslim refugees in Europe and say this is not of a few but of the majority. What I have seen of the Muslim behavior in this country so far makes me believe that my government is not considering the safety of the civilians.

Zahra Billoo Responds To The Women’s March Inc. Voting Her Off The New Board

Zahra Billoo

Women's March Board

Earlier tonight, I was voted off the Women’s March, Inc. national board. This followed an Islamophobic smear campaign led by the usual antagonists, who have long targeted me, my colleagues, and anyone else who dares speak out in support of Palestinian human rights and the right to self-determination.

The past 48 hours have been a spiral of bad news and smear efforts. Part of the smear campaign is motivated by opponents of the Women’s March, because the organization has traditionally challenged the status quo of power and white supremacy in our country. However, much of the campaign is driven by people who oppose me and my work challenging the occupation of Palestine, our country’s perpetuation of unjust and endless wars, and law enforcement operations targeting the American Muslim community.

The Women’s March, Inc. is an organization I once held dear. I spoke at the first march, spoke at regional marches every year after, spoke at the convention, participated in national actions including the original Kavanaugh protests, and worked to mobilize Muslim women for their efforts.

During the past few years right-wingers, from the President’s son to the Anti-Defamation League and troll armies, have targeted the Women’s March, Inc. For so long, I’ve admired their resilience in speaking truth to power, in working together, and in never cowering. Over and over again, the co-founders of Women’s March, Inc. put their lives on the line, winning power for all women in all of our diversity. The Women’s March, Inc. that voted me off its board tonight is one that no longer demonstrates the strength that inspired millions of women across the country.

To see and experience its new leaders caving to right-wing pressure, and casting aside a woman of color, a Muslim woman, a long-time advocate within the organization, without the willingness to make any efforts to learn and grow, breaks my heart. This isn’t about a lost seat, there will be many seats. The Women’s March, Inc. has drawn a line in the sand, one that will exclude many with my lived experiences and critiques. It has effectively said, we will work on some women’s rights at the expense of others.

To be clear, anti-semitism is indeed a growing and dangerous problem in our country, as is anti-Blackness, anti-immigrant sentiment, Islamophobia, ableism, sexism, and so much more. I condemn any form of bigotry unequivocally, but I also refuse to be silent as allegations of bigotry are weaponized against the most marginalized people, those who find sanctuary and hope in the articulation of truth.

In looking at the tweets in question, I acknowledge that I wrote passionately. While I may have phrased some of my content differently today, I stand by my words. I told the truth as my community and I have lived it, through the FBI’s targeting of my community, as I supported families who have lost loved ones because of US military actions, and as I learned from the horrific experiences of Palestinian life.

In attempting to heal and build in an expedited manner within Women’s March, Inc., I offered to meet with stakeholders to address their concerns and to work with my sisters on the new board to learn, heal, and build together. These efforts were rejected. And in rejecting these efforts, the new Women’s March, Inc. demonstrated that they lack the courage to exhibit allyship in the face of fire.

I came to Women’s March, Inc. to work. My body of work has included leading a chapter of the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights organization for over a decade, growing it now more than six-fold. In my tenure, I have led the team that forced Abercrombie to change its discriminatory employment policies, have been arrested advocating for DACA, partnered with Jewish organizations including Bend the Arc and Jewish Voice for Peace to fight to protect our communities, and was one of the first lawyers to sue the President.

It is not my first time being the target of a smear campaign. The Women’s March, Inc., more than any place, is where I would have expected us to be able to have courageous conversations and dive deep into relationship-building work.

I am happy to have as many conversations as it takes to listen and learn and heal, but I will no longer be able to do that through Women’s March, Inc. This action today demonstrates that this organization’s new leadership is unable to be an ally during challenging times.

My beliefs drive my work, and I am not seeking accolades or positions of power. These past few days have been the greatest test of that. My integrity, my truth, and my strength comes from God and a place of deep conviction. I will continue my work as a civil rights lawyer and a faith-based activist, speaking out against the occupation of Palestine and settler-colonialism everywhere, challenging Islamophobia and all forms of racism and bigotry in the United States, and building with my community and our allies in our quest to be our most authentic and liberated selves.

Onward, God willing.

The Duplicity of American Muslim Influencers And The ‘So-called Muslim Ban’

Dr Joseph Kaminski

As we approach the beginning of another painful year of the full enforcement of Presidential Proclamation 9645 (a.k.a. ‘the Muslim ban’) that effectively bars citizens of several Muslim majority countries from entering into the United States, the silence remains deafening. As I expected, most of the world has conveniently forgotten about this policy, which thus far has separated over 3,000 American families from their spouses and other immediate relatives. In June 2019, the Brennan Center of Justice notes that: The ban has also kept at least 1,545 children from their American parents and 3,460 parents from their American sons and daughters. While silence and apathy from the general public on this matter is to be expected— after all, it is not their families who are impacted— what is particularly troubling is the response that is beginning to emerge from some corners of the American Muslim social landscape.

While most Muslims and Muslim groups have been vocal in their condemnation of Presidential Proclamation 9645, other prominent voices have not. Shadi Hamid sought to rationalize the executive order on technical grounds arguing that it was a legally plausible interpretation. Perhaps this is true, but some of the other points made by Hamid are quite questionable. For example, he curiously contends that:

The decision does not turn American Muslims like myself into “second-class citizens,” and to insist that it does will make it impossible for us to claim that we have actually become second-class citizens, if such a thing ever happens.

I don’t know— being forced to choose exile in order to remain with one’s family certainly does sound like being turned into a ‘second-class citizen’ to me. Perhaps the executive order does not turn Muslims like himself, as he notes, into second-class citizens, but it definitely does others, unless it is possible in Hamid’s mind to remain a first-class citizen barred from living with his own spouse and children for completely arbitrary reasons, like me. To be fair to Hamid, in the same article he does comment that the executive order is a morally questionable decision, noting that he is “still deeply uncomfortable with the Supreme Court’s ruling” and that “It contributes to the legitimization and mainstreaming of anti-Muslim bigotry.”

On the other hand, more recently others have shown open disdain for those who are angered about the ‘so-called Muslim ban.’ On June 6th, 2019, Abdullah bin Hamid Ali, a Senior Faculty Member at Zaytuna College, Islamic scholar and the founder of the Lamppost Education Initiative, rationalized the ban on spurious security grounds. He commented that,

The so-called Muslim ban, of course, has us on edge about his potential. But, to be fair, a real Muslim ban would mean that no Muslim from any country should be allowed in the US. There are about 50 Muslim majority countries. Trump singled out only 7 of them, most of which are war torn and problem countries. So, it is unfair to claim that he was only motivated by a hatred for Islam and Muslims.

First, despite how redundant and unnecessary this point is to make again, one ought to be reminded that between 1975 and 2015, zero foreigners from the seven nations initially placed on the banned list (Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen) killed any Americans in terrorist attacks on U.S. soil and zero Libyans or Syrians have ever even been convicted of planning a terrorist attack on U.S. soil during that same time period. I do not think these numbers have changed over the last 4 years either. If policy decisions are supposed to be made on sound empirical evidence and data, then there is even less justification for the ban.

Second, Bin Hamid Ali comments that ‘the so-called Muslim ban, of course, has us on edge about his [Trump’s] potential.’ Whoa… hold on; on edge about his potential? For the millions of people banned from entering the United States and the thousands of Muslim families connected to these millions of people, this ‘potential’ has been more than realized. To reduce the ‘so-called Muslim ban’ to just targeting ‘war torn and problem countries’ is to reduce our family members—our husbands, wives, and children—to (inaccurate) statistics and gross stereotypes. Are spouses from Syria or Yemen seeking to reunite with their legally recognized spouses or children any less deserving to be with their immediate family members because they hail from ‘problem countries’? How can one be concerned with stereotypes while saying something like this? Is this not the exact thing that Abdullah bin Hamid Ali seeks to avoid? Surely the Professor would not invoke such stereotypes to justify the racial profiling of black American citizens. What makes black non-Americans, Arabs, and Iranians any different when it comes to draconian immigration profiling? From a purely Islamic perspective, the answer is absolutely nothing.

More recently, Sherman Jackson, a leading Islamic intellectual figure at the University of Southern California, King Faisal Chair in Islamic Thought and Culture and Professor of Religion and American Studies and Ethnicity, also waded into this discussion. In his essay, he reframed the Muslim ban as a question of identity politics rather than basic human right, pitting Muslim immigrants against what he calls ‘blackamericans’ drawing some incredibly questionable, nativist, and bigoted conclusions. Jackson in a recent blog responding to critiques by Ali al-Arian about his own questionable affiliations with authoritarian Arab regimes comments:

Al-Arian mentions that,

“the Muslim American community seemed united at least in its opposition to the Trump administration.”  He and those who make up this alleged consensus are apparently offended by Trump’s so-called Muslim ban.  But a Blackamerican sister in Chicago once asked me rhetorically why she should support having Muslims come to this country who are only going to treat her like crap.

These are baffling comments to make about ‘Trump’s so-called Muslim ban.’ Jackson creates a strawman by bringing up an anecdotal story that offers a gross generalization that clearly has prejudiced undertones of certain Muslim immigrants. Most interesting, however is how self-defeating Jackson’s invocation of identity politics is considering the fact that a large number of the ‘blackamerican’ Muslims that he is concerned about themselves have relatives from Somalia and other countries impacted by the travel ban. As of 2017, there were just over 52,000 Americans with Somali ancestry in the state of Minnesota alone. Are Somali-Americans only worth our sympathy so long as they do not have Somali spouses? What Jackson and Bin Hamid Ali do not seem to understand is that these Muslim immigrants they speak disparagingly of, by in large, are coming on family unification related visas.

Other people with large online followings have praised the comments offered by Abdullah bin Hamid Ali and Sherman Jackson. The controversial administrator of the popular The Muslim Skeptic website, Daniel Haqiqatjou, in defense of Jackson’s comments, stated:

This is the first time I have seen a prominent figure downplay the issue. And I think Jackson’s assessment is exactly right: The average American Muslim doesn’t really care about this. There is no evidence to indicate that this policy has had a significant impact on the community as a whole. Travel to the US from those four countries affected by the ban was already extremely difficult in the Obama era.

What Haqiqatjou seems to not realize is that while travel from these countries was difficult, it was not as ‘extremely difficult’ as he erroneously claims it was. The US issued 7,727 visas to Iranian passport holders in 2016 prior to the ban. After the ban in 2018, that number dropped to 1,449. My own wife was issued a B1/B2 Tourist visa to meet my family in 2016 after approximately 40 days of administrative processing which is standard for US visa seekers who hold Iranian passports. On the other hand, she was rejected for the same B1/B2 Tourist visa in 2018 after a grueling 60+ day wait due to Presidential Proclamation 9645. At the behest of the Counselor Officer where we currently live, she was told to just finish the immigration process since this would put her in a better position to receive one of these nearly impossible to get waivers. She had her interview on November 19, 2018, and we are still awaiting the results of whatever these epic, non-transparent ‘extreme vetting’ procedures yield. Somehow despite my wife being perfectly fine to enter in 2016, three years later, we are entering the 10th month of waiting for one of these elusive waivers with no end time in sight, nor any guarantee that things will work out. Tell me how this is pretty much the same as things have always been?

What these commentators seem to not realize is that the United States immigration system is incredibly rigid. One cannot hop on a plane and say they want to immigrate with an empty wallet to start of Kebab shop in Queens. It seems as if many of these people that take umbrage at the prospects of legal immigration believe that the immigration rules of 2019 are the same as they were in 1819. In the end, it is important to once again reiterate that the Muslim immigrants Jackson, Bin Hamid Ali and others are disparaging are those who most likely are the family members of American Muslim citizens; by belittling the spouses and children of American Muslims, these people are belittling American Muslims themselves.

Neo-nationalism, tribalism, and identity politics of this sort are wholly antithetical to the Islamic enterprise. We have now reached the point where people who are considered authority figures within the American Islamic community are promoting nativism and identity politics at the expense of American Muslim families. Instead of trying to rationalize the ‘so-called Muslim Ban’ via appeals to nativist and nationalist rhetoric, influential Muslim leaders and internet influencers need to demonstrate empathy and compassion for the thousands of US Muslim families being torn apart by this indefinite Muslim ban that we all know will never end so long as Donald Trump remains president. In reality, they should be willing to fight tooth-and-nail for American Muslim families. These are the same people who regularly critique the decline of the family unit and the rise of single-parent households. Do they not see the hypocrisy in their positions of not defending those Muslim families that seek to stay together?

If these people are not willing to advocate on behalf of those of us suffering— some of us living in self-imposed exile in third party countries to remain with our spouses and children— the least they can do is to not downplay our suffering or even worse, turn it into a political football (Social Justice Warrior politics vs. traditional ‘real’ Islam). It seems clear that if liberal Muslim activists were not as outspoken on this matter, these more conservative voices would take a different perspective. With the exception of Shadi Hamid, the other aforementioned names have made efforts to constrain themselves firmly to the ‘traditional’ Muslim camp. There is no reason that this issue, which obviously transcends petty partisan Muslim politics, ought to symbolize one’s allegiance to any particular social movement or camp within contemporary Islamic civil society.

If these people want a ‘traditional’ justification for why Muslim families should not be separated, they ought to be reminded that one of al-Ghazali’s 5 essential principles of the Shari’a was related to the protection of lineage/family and honor (ḥifẓ al-nasl). Our spouses are not cannon fodder for such childish partisan politics. We will continue to protect our families and their honor regardless of how hostile the environment may become for us and regardless of who we have to name and shame in the process.

When I got married over a year prior to Donald Trump being elected President, I vowed that only Allah would separate me from my spouse. I intend on keeping that vow regardless of what consequences that decision may have.

Photo courtesy: Adam Cairns / The Columbus Dispatch

5 Quick Things Americans Can Do For Uyghurs Today

Abu Ryan Dardir

“I may die, but let it be known that my nation will continue their struggle so long the world continues to exist.” Kazakh leader Uthman Batur. He said these words as Chinese authorities executed him for resisting the communist occupation. Currently, China has, one million Uyghurs (Uighurs), Kazakhs, and other Muslim minorities held in concentration camps in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) (East Turkistan) in northwestern China.

Their struggle surpasses the 10 or so years since we have become aware of it. Just like the Rohingya genocide, we waited till the last minute. We are always late and say, “Never Again.” It happens again and again.

In my lifetime, there have been horrendous genocides that could have been prevented to stopped. As a child, I remember Rwanda in the headlines, then a year later Bosnian genocide. Then we hear these demonic stories after the fact. I remember stories from survivors from Bosnia, and thinking to myself, “How are you here and functioning?”

Let us not be fooled to why this is happening now. It is related to economic advantages. The Chinese government’s present signature foreign policy initiative is the “Belt and Road Initiative” (BRI) that seeks to connect the PRC economically to the rest of the Eurasian continent through massive infrastructure projects that will stimulate international trade. The western and south-western components of the BRI require the XUAR to serve as a transportation and commercial hub to trade routes and pipelines that will join China with Central and South Asia, the Middle East, and the entirety of Europe. As a result, the XUAR has become an important strategic region for the Chinese, and the state views its indigenous populations as an obstacle to developing its vision for this future critical center of international commercial networks.1

The expansion of their trade route also ties in Iran hence the sanctions placed, but that’s a different report for a different time. China, of course, has defended their actions by claiming its an anti-terrorism plan. Getting reliable information is hard. China has made it a point to make things difficult for reporters. Yanan Wang, a China-based journalist from the Associated Press, has reported extensively on and from Xinjiang.

In a ceremony at Asia Society on Tuesday commemorating AP’s 2019 Osborn Elliott Award for Excellence in Journalism on Asia, Wang described the subtle ways government minders worked to thwart her reporting: “(Both of the times we went there we arrived at the airport, we had a welcoming committee from the local authorities. They’re always very polite and professional. They say that “you’ve arrived in Xinjiang and we’re here to assist you in your reporting. Tell us what you’re working on so we can help you.” They offer us drives in their car and plenty of hospitality.

Basically, from the moment we arrive, we’re followed by at least one car. There are a bunch of interesting scenarios that we came across. You can see that the local handlers are trying hard to be professional. They are members of the propaganda department, so they’re PR professionals. They don’t want to make it appear like it’s so stifling. At one point, we were taking photos, and someone suddenly appeared on the scene to say he was a “concerned citizen.” He said he’d seen us taking photos and that it was an infringement of his privacy rights. He had this long monologue about privacy rights and about how it wasn’t right for us to take photos of him without his knowledge. We asked him, “Well, where are you in these photos?” and he’d go through all of them. He said we had to delete all of them. He’d say, “This is my brother,” or “This is my place of work, you have to delete it.”

They had all of these interesting tactics to work around the idea that they were trying to obstruct our reporting and make it appear that someone who claims to be a concerned citizen.)”2

On top of that, locals that talk to journalist are punished, sometimes go missing.

I decided to do something this time around; I got in touch with an Uyghur community near my residence to see how an individual could help. It started at a Turkic restaurant, and from there, I have been involved in whatever capacity I am able. Through this effort, I got in touch with a Turkic professor in Turkey who has students stranded as they are cut off from contacting family back in Xinjiang. He helps them out financially; my family and friends help with what they can.

As Muslims in the West, there is no doubt we should act. Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, said “Whosoever of you sees an evil, let him change it with his hand; and if he is not able to do so, then [let him change it] with his tongue; and if he is not able to do so, then with his heart, and that is the weakest of faith” (Muslim).

How Can You Help Uyghurs

Here are a few things you can do to help:

1. Ask Congress to pass To pass S.178 & H.R.649 Uyghur Human Rights Policy Act of 2019. Urge your senator and representative to support this cause. It has been introduced. This bill can help the Uyghur community to be treated like Tibetans (another region oppressed by China).

2. Stay informed. The mainstream media is not the place to get accurate information on the situation. Be skeptical of where the data is coming from, stick to reliable sources that are verified. As mentioned above, journalists find it difficult to report.

3. Donate to Uyghur Human Rights Organizations to end concentration camps: UHRP, Uyghur American Association  Donate to Awareness Campaigns: Save Uigur Campaign

4. Boycott or reduce buying Made in China products

5. Follow these links for updated information: facebook.com/Uyghur-Human-Rights-Project-227634297289994/ and facebook.com/ChinaMuslims

This crisis is an ethnic cleansing for profit. These are dark days as we value profit over people.

1.Statement by Concerned Scholars on mass detentions | MCLC …. https://u.osu.edu/mclc/2018/11/27/statement-by-concerned-scholars-on-mass-detention s/

2.Why It’s So Difficult for Journalists To Report From …. https://asiasociety.org/blog/asia/why-its-so-difficult-journalists-report-xinjiang