Dawah and Interfaith

Top Ten Islamic Lectures of All Time (Videos)

Guests
Support MuslimMatters for Just $2 a Month

By: Junaid ibn Amjad

I have composed what I believe to be the Ten Best Islamic Video Lectures published across the net up till now. I’ve restricted the list to filmed lectures and those that have been addressed in the English language*. I ask that both Arabic and Urdu speakers forgive me, as I am a well-developed ‘coconut’. There are many beneficial speeches that have not been recorded in the presence of a video camera, so in the future I hope to construct an audio-only list, insha’Allah.

Undoubtedly, many of you will disagree with some of my selections and ordering. Nevertheless, compiling this list wasn’t easy. Everybody has their favourites. And in reality, nobody should preference the work of any orator conveying authentic and beneficial knowledge. I ask Allah subhana wa t’ala to grant all of the Shayukh and Du’at sincerity, to bless them for all their work, to forgive them, and to grant them and their families the highest level of paradise, Ameen.

Finally, I remind everyone not to take this list seriously. This wasn’t compiled for an Academy Award Show ““ Islamic lectures are not entertainment. The selected speeches have been chosen from my own personal bias. These are merely recommendations for beginners seeking elementary-level knowledge or for those desiring for an emaan boost. I ask Allah aza wa jaal to allow this list to benefit Muslims and non-Muslims everywhere.

Top 10

“What do you mean Muhammad is the messenger of Allah?” by Sh. Abu Taubah

“Interview with former Rap Artist Amir Junaid Muhadith” by The Deen Show

“Debate: Islam or Secular Liberalism?” by Brother Hamza Andreas Tzortzis

“Hiroshima to London: Violence and Our Collective Future” by Imam Zaid Shakir

“Young American’s attitude toward the Qur’an” by Nouman Ali Khan

“How I converted to Islam” by Sheikh Yusuf Estes

*The self-imposed language restriction (as well as my own language limitations) also led me to discount our beloved heavyweight scholars like Dr. Farhat Hashmi, Shaykh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi, Mufti Taqi Usmani, Shaykh Saleh Al-Munajjid, may Allah preserve them, as well as late contemporary scholars that have passed, such as Sheikh Ash-Shanqeeti and Dr. Israr Ahmed, may Allah have mercy on them.

Note from MM: As the author notes these are his favorites not the MM staff’s.

Support Our Dawah for Just $2 a Month

firoz85

April 28, 2011 at 4:09 AM

Salams , this is my top10 list :)

1.Why we worship God – sh yasir q
    2.O Allah Forgive me – sh yasir q
    3.Divine Speech – Nouman Ali khan
    4.Islam or Atheism – Which One Makes More Sense? By Hamza Andreas Tzortzis
    5.Debunking Male bias – sh yasir q
    6.Progressing with progressives – sh yasir q
    7.Intelligent faith – sh yasir q
    8.Zakir Naik-Quran and modern science
    9.Shabbir Ally Science the answer – A Comparison of Atheism and Islam
    10.From Atheism to Belief: A Journey to Islam in North America by Dr. Jeffrey Lang (Part 1/17)

Umm 'AbdAllah

April 28, 2011 at 6:28 AM

I like your list, ma sha Allah.

You must be a Sh.Yasir Qadhi fan!

firoz85

April 28, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Huge Fan :) May Allah bless him and his progeny InshAllah. But i was not being biased in my list , If i was , i woulve included a few from another one of my favourites, Mufit Ishmael Menk from Zimbabwe :)

Mohammad Zia

June 4, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Salafi / ahl e hadith Speakers:

English speakers:
        Abul Abbaas Moosa Richardson (Musa Qayyum) (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia)
        Abu Ishaaq Nadeem
        Mustafa George DeBerry (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia)
        Abu Hafsa Kashif Khan (Saudi)
        Abu Mujahid Fareed Abdullah
        Abu Abdullah Awes alHashmi
        Abu Khadeeja Abdul Wahid
        Abu Hakeem Bilal Davis
        Abu Abdullah Hasan AsSomali
        Abu Muhammad Al Maghrabi
        Abu Sohail Umar Quinn
        Abu Abdis Salaam Siddiq al Juyaanee
        Abu Idrees Muhammad
        Shaikh Salim al-Amry (UAE)
        Sheikh Assim Al Hakeem (Saudi Arabia)

Urdu speakers:
        Dr. Murtaza Bin Bakhsh (Pakistan)
        Irshad ul haq Asri (Pakistan)
        Shaikh Abdullah Nasir Rahmani
        Shaikh Abdul Haseeb Madani (CIS Bangalore India)
        Shaikh Abdul Azeem Madani (CIS Bangalore India)
        Abu Zaid Zameer (Pune, India)
        Shaikh Tawseef ur Rahman
        Shaikh Meraj Rabbani
        Shaykh Wasiullah Muhammad Abbas (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia)
        Shaykh Muaz Abu Quhafah Nazeeri
        Shaykh Noorul Hasan Madani (CIS Bangalore India)

ziaullah

January 2, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I think that Ahmed Deedats –Is the Bible the word of God topic should be listed above with Jimmy Swaggart….. :)

Mohammad Hasan

January 13, 2016 at 6:21 AM

Brother & Sisters,
      Salam & thanks to all for your effort.
      I need all the mp3 versions of these lectures.
      Nouman Ali Khans are available in his site.
      But others lectures are hard to find.

Please show me websites where I get the mp3 version of these lectures easily.

Jez

April 28, 2011 at 4:38 AM

No one should prefrence but you clearly have prefrenced one type of speaker over the other. Poor top ten

3. Pingback: Top Ten Islamic Lectures of All Time (Videos) | allah.eu

Abubakr

April 28, 2011 at 6:10 AM

Jazakallah!!

It would be super awesome if you made the runner-ups click-able too.

WS

BintKhalil

April 28, 2011 at 9:17 PM

I second that.

Tariq Nisar Ahmed

April 30, 2011 at 10:29 AM

It should almost be waajib for the author to do that, especially for the ones that are hard to find. :) And for the ones not on line, at least give a clue so that the pirates of Pakistan can burn them for us to DVD (that are often merely VCD’s).

Umm 'AbdAllah

April 28, 2011 at 6:25 AM

Ma shaa Allah!

I like the line up of shyookh. I think it is a great choice, but I don’t fully agree with your ‘arrangements’. I’m looking forward to listening to the ones I have yet to listen to, so JazakAllahu khairan for sharing!

Omar

April 28, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Barakallah fik for this top ten list!

mystrugglewithin

April 28, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Astagfirullah, I never expected this on MM, .. jk, thanks a lot!!!!!! :)

Raif

April 28, 2011 at 11:49 AM

HOW about Sheikh Imran Hossein…. so far as i know..he’s the best on islamic eschatology , politics and economics

Sara

May 2, 2011 at 1:06 PM

I was thinking the same thing. How can Shaykh Imran Hosein not be on any top 10 list? He’s extremely knowledgeable, MashaAllah, and definitely a personal favorite.

JazakAllah khair to all for the recommends though. Looks like I have quite a few lectures to check out. :)

The Shardul of Allah

April 28, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Nouman Ali Khan is very hard to beat, in my opinion.

nayma kose

April 28, 2011 at 12:32 PM

assalamu aliakum Br. Junaid,

You just made my homeschooling for the next 2 weeks so much more “awesome” and easier!

MAy Allah reward you.

Nayma

Umar

April 28, 2011 at 12:58 PM

You have got to include some of Wajdi Abu Mussab Akari’s videos…He has a YouTube channel: Onewaytoparadise, and a website: onewaytoparadise.net

Once you’ve seen some of his videos, at least 5 of the top 10 will be compromised of his lectures. I have high hopes for him. :)

Hamzah

April 29, 2011 at 6:42 PM

I totally agree, He da man

Leo

April 30, 2011 at 5:08 PM

I agree. His lecture on why music is haram is by far the best I’ve heard.
      He should be getting more hits.

ahlam

April 30, 2011 at 11:16 PM

lol, that brother.My young sis keeps going on about him everytime she learns something new she says I learnt it from ”oneway2paradise” referring to his youtube channel . Yes, mashAllah ,his vids are very informative.

Baig

January 2, 2014 at 5:13 AM

I inspire from his Knowledge, but I absolutely disagree this way of presenting things, first of all he is a Wahabi (don’t get rage now). Thought i don’t have any problem with them, yet he need some correction for himself and correct his listeners too…..

12. WAJiD

WAJiD

April 28, 2011 at 1:00 PM

“I ask that both Arabic and Urdu speakers forgive me, as I am a well-developed coconut.”

Anyone who is able to write that line clearly has a sense of humour and enough insight to be worth listening to.

In an age of plenty of Top Tens – whether I agree with your choices is irrelevant. JazakAllah khairun for making the effort to put it together and encouraging others to make their own Top Ten lists.

Random Guy

April 28, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Wisam Sharieff is THE GREATEST SPEAKER OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tal

April 28, 2011 at 9:06 PM

No, that would be the Prophet (SAW).

DS

April 28, 2011 at 11:51 PM

I SO AGREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! WISAM SHARIEFF IS THE BESTESTTTTTT <3
      alhamdulilah

but subhanAllah, ALL speakers have GREAT characterisitics mashAllah la quwatta ila billah

may allah swt preserve them all and allow us to increase in our knowledge

Cartoon M

April 30, 2011 at 9:21 PM

I love the way he stresses his tajweed in his recitation. It’s contagious. My friend thought I was smiling during prayer, because I was trying to recite the way he does haha.

His lectures are always great and relate to what’s going on in our communities. May Allah reward him.

saleem

November 12, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Ass salaamu aalaykum varahamatullahi vabarakatu brother it’s not race that one should cross another in ranking but they are trying to convey peace to humanity.we should have to understand them not to rank them hope we should stop ranking or comparing one another.These speeches are not meant for ranking but for increasing our emaan in Allah(S.W.T) and his rasool Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W)

Uthman

April 28, 2011 at 1:39 PM

you left out Shaykh Jamal Zarabozo!

UmmZayn

April 28, 2011 at 1:46 PM

No Shaykh Mukhtar Maghraoui???

Thanks for sharing the list, am looking forward to going through them all. Can you also add links to the runner-ups, would like to hear them as well

Sister

April 28, 2011 at 2:15 PM

May Allah bless them all.I love them all for the sake of Allah.Everyone has their unique style.Why to number them?

Ibn Adam

April 28, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Not sure how this one didn’t make the list:)

Shaykh Suhaib Webb “Lets Sit Together and Build Our Iman”

Mustafa

April 28, 2011 at 2:40 PM

As Salaamu Alykum,

Nice list!!
    But, I probably would’ve but all Shakyh Hamza Yusuf in the top 5.

be

April 28, 2011 at 3:40 PM

no Tariq Ramadan… :(

vibenade

April 29, 2011 at 9:00 AM

inspiring playlist! jazzakhair..
      but i have to agree with be..there should be Tariq Ramadan in the list somewhere : )

Farhan

April 28, 2011 at 4:00 PM

I’d throw in Shaykh Yasir Qadhi’s “Debunking the male bias myth”. Not because I needed it debunked (an over-killed topic) but because it helped me understand the Mu’tazilites, and thereafter, the progressives and how they use western secular values as a standard to interpret Islam.

Shaykh Waleed Basyouni’s talk on extremism was pretty good too.

Khader Ali Khan

April 28, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Sad to see no Awlaki’s work… at least runner up for Hereafter?

Umm Muhammad

August 4, 2014 at 8:34 PM

That’s my sheikh right there! Rahimahullah #generationAwlaki :)

Hassan Zawahir

August 28, 2014 at 7:06 AM

Anwar Al- Awlaki Should be added

Junaid ibn Amjad

April 28, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Asalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatahu

JazakAllah Khair to everyone for their feedback and comments. I think we should welcome any and all criticism, especially for very subjective posts like these. Please keep adding your suggestions and videos/lectures, so we can grow the above list. BarakAllahu Feek.

I suppose I wish I had added:

Sheikh Ismaili Musa Menk (good material Tafseer and Reasons for Revelations)
    Sheikh Jamal Zarabozo (Modernism in Islam, Purification of the Soul)
    Sheikh Abu Adnan (Contemporary Issues, Current Events)
    Sheikh Reda Bedeir (Tafseer Sura Yusuf)
    Sheikh Mokhtar Maghroui (good Tazkiyah lectures)

Anybody know a good/decent series on the Seerah? (Audio or Video)
    I know Sh. Kamal El-Mekki is currently doing a very interesting one, and Sh. Shady and Sh. Yasir Qadhi have done one…

Or anybody know of a lecture or series that combines the Qur’an and the Seerah? (i.e. tells us in what context a Surah was revealed, when its versus were revealed, reasons for revelation, the time and details and relationship to the Seerah, hadeeths, and important fundamental concept in building the Muslim character (i.e. Yaqeen and Tawakkul)?

Ibrahim

April 29, 2011 at 10:32 AM

I have a very good audio series on Seerah done by a Mauritanian ‘Allamah, based on the poem Qurratul Absaar. It is in Arabic. If anyone’s interested you may contact me.

sher

November 11, 2012 at 5:46 AM

brother ibrahim, i would like to listen to the arabic audio series on seerah by the mauritanian allama. how can i get em from u?

mehmudah

April 30, 2011 at 3:57 PM

shk anwar al awlaqi did a series of seerah lectures. i think you can find them on light upon light website

Athar Aasif Ansari

November 16, 2012 at 7:08 AM

As salaam alaikum,

Brother….you had posted good list amongst all.I liked your efforts and i pray to Allah S.W.T. to give you more hidaaya to contribute your knowledge to all universal ummah. Regardless of any faith.

Frosama

April 28, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Agreed Agreed. I’m definitely a huge fan of Nouman Ali Khan , he’s an awesome speaker.

My top ten list is pretty different but alhamdullilah we have so many good lectures to choose from so there will be difference.

Liajul

April 28, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Assalaamu ‘alaikum,

I really love “Islam and Ego” by Nouman Ali Khan. It is a strong wake up call for everyone to go to the right path and especially on how to correctly stay in it.

S. Yusuf

April 28, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Muhammad

April 28, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Are debates eligible to be part of your Top Ten?If yes then I will surely like to see the debate between Dr Zakir Naik and Dr William Cambhell on “Quran and Bible in the Light of Science” to top the chart.

Daughter of Adam (AS)

April 28, 2011 at 11:19 PM

I like the list! I would add Abu Ee’sa Niamatullah’s “A Love Story” which is the best lecture I have ever heard on guy/girl relationships, Dr. Ali Shehata’s lecture on the marriage of A’isha (RA) to Rasulullah (SAW), and Kamal El-Mekki’s Music in Islam lecture… the lecture about saving time by Muhammad Al-Shareef, and “Do you intend to question the messenger?”, “Muslims in the West: Our Future” and “Questions of the Youth” by Nouman Ali Khan.. who is my favorite speaker!

ohhh and Shaykh Hamza Yusuf’s lectures that fascinatingly often reflect some of the points Nouman Ali Khan brings up- for example, the “Intellectual Foundation of Islam”, and then Shaykh Hamza Yusuf’s reflections on several different ideas like “What Happened to Poetry?”, and the one with John Taylor Gatto on education.

Michele

April 29, 2011 at 1:57 AM

No sisters? Guess we should be used to this. I would definitely include Hamza Yusef, Dr. Maher Hathout and any of Dr. Jeffery Lang’s lectures as well.

29. Amad

Amad

April 29, 2011 at 3:16 AM

Pls note that this list is the guest author’s personal choices and not by mm officially or unofficially :)
    Nice picks!

Taiyib

April 29, 2011 at 6:30 AM

Wow. I completely disagree with this list. This is definately not the top ten lectures. I can see how All the traditional scholars were left out, apart from sheikh hamza yusuf and zaid shakir who came As runners up.
    Just wow, I suggest people listen these shuyukh who are an inspiration to the muslim world.
    Sheikh hamza yusuf, sheikh zaid shakir, sheikh Nuh Keller, sheikh babikr, sheikh habib ali, sheikh snoussi, sheikh habib umar bin hafiz, sheikh abdullah bin bayyah, sheikh Muhammad al yaqoobi.
    These are only just a few, but I think people should listen to these great scholars as well.

muslimah

April 29, 2011 at 9:49 AM

With due respect to all other scholars, Nouman Ali Khan has been a blessing to me!! I can’t express how much i love the weekly tafseer lectures at the bayyinah podcast. May Allah bless him!

nayma kose

April 30, 2011 at 7:22 AM

Didn’t he stop giving tafseer podcasts after the last juz?

muslimah

April 30, 2011 at 8:54 AM

yeah he has stopped after the last juzz. but Abdul Nasir Jangda is continuing with the 29th juzz on the same lines as Nouman Ali Khan did the last one. I think Nouman Ali Khan will do the 28th juzz again. I hope he does.

muslimah

April 30, 2011 at 9:22 AM

hey i thought i should i tell u this too. I was just listening to a lecture by Nouman Ali Khan and he said he has taken a break after the juzz amma. So, i guess that means he will be back:)

Cartoon M

April 30, 2011 at 9:32 PM

When he came to the masjid in my area, he was telling a group of us how he prepares for the weekly tafsir podcasts. It’s a lot of work! Especially with everything else he does. May Allah accept it from him.

muslimah

May 1, 2011 at 7:00 PM

wow mashaAllah! could tell me what he said?? i wanna know tooo!

forever a student of Islam

April 30, 2011 at 7:00 AM

Salamu Alaikum bro!

The list you compiled is great mashaAllah and I cannot wait to start watching all of them. I am even recommending your article to friends so they can watch the videos as well. One thing though, I noticed that you don’t have Sheikh Salem Al-Amry at all on the list. He is an extremely truthful, intelligent and popular sheikh who is one of the sheikhs of PEACE TV. He always manages to deliver his point and make the audience wake up. MashaAllah, I recommend his lectures to you if you haven’t heard about him.

JazakaAllah kul khair for this effort.

umm aman

April 30, 2011 at 7:35 AM

assalamu alaikkum,
      alhamdulillah, atleast one has mentioned about sheikh salim al amry. . i was just scrolling through the comments to see if any one has mentioned his name atleast. Alhamdulillah, we have so many scholars and lectures to benefit from. I hope we are always in the learning mode and apply the knowledge given by Allah,subhnata’ala in our daily life before our time runs out. I make dua to Allah,subhnata’ala to bless the speakers and prolong their lives so that we can continue learning from them.

Tariq Nisar Ahmed

April 30, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Here’s what I thought when I first saw the title of this piece: “What a great Facebook question this would make!”

Is there a FB app that lets you do a question where (1) people can add their own choices, as so many people wish to do here, and (2) still limit them to only 10 entries? If so, that would be a reason to join FB all by itself. :)

JR

April 30, 2011 at 10:49 AM

You can ask questions on fb. It’s called a facebook poll, and you can make it public so everyone can answer.

I would add that one should be very careful from whom they learn their Islamic knowledge. Not everybody who speaks nicely teaches correct aqidah, and not everybody who has correct knowledge and understanding is an inspirational public speaker.

Many times I have heard regarding well known speakers that “oh he is so intelligent, how can he be teaching and spreading shirk…” Simple answer: Stephen Hawking is “intelligent”, he is the biggest atheist of our generation…

ahlam

April 30, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Hamza tzortzis had a response on his blog for his latest book and exposed some of his fallacies.

JR

May 1, 2011 at 5:48 AM

All atheistic arguments can be picked apart and crushed. S. Hawking is a particularly peculiar character. In his past his belief in God has been dependent on his physical condition. He has said statements along the lines that he is smart. Why did god have to give him this body? Why couldn’t less intelligent people have been affected.
          I find statements like that amazingly arrogant. Instead of acknowledging the fact that God has given him his mind and his very existence, he choses to be ungrateful.
          The next someone tries to base their atheism on his work, a good response would be his atheism is based on his ingratitude/arrogance and his physics is tailored to fit with his preconceived belief. Anyway I don’t mean to go off the topic but just a few days ago I had an atheist try using the Stephen Hawking card. They knew nothing about physics, but said if a smart person like Hawking said it, it must be true.
          There are many other ways to crush atheism, but I’ll leave it there.

Assalumu alaykum

Daughter of Adam (AS)

May 1, 2011 at 3:37 PM

This lecture is also so vital for us young people:

Ethics of Disagreement (Adab al-Ikhtilaf) …

Mohammad Zia

June 4, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Salafi / ahl e hadith Speakers:

English speakers:
      Abul Abbaas Moosa Richardson (Musa Qayyum) (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia)
      Abu Ishaaq Nadeem
      Mustafa George DeBerry (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia)
      Abu Hafsa Kashif Khan (Saudi)
      Abu Mujahid Fareed Abdullah
      Abu Abdullah Awes alHashmi
      Abu Khadeeja Abdul Wahid
      Abu Hakeem Bilal Davis
      Abu Abdullah Hasan AsSomali
      Abu Muhammad Al Maghrabi
      Abu Sohail Umar Quinn
      Abu Abdis Salaam Siddiq al Juyaanee
      Abu Idrees Muhammad
      Shaikh Salim al-Amry (UAE)
      Sheikh Assim Al Hakeem (Saudi Arabia)

Urdu speakers:
      Dr. Murtaza Bin Bakhsh (Pakistan)
      Irshad ul haq Asri (Pakistan)
      Shaikh Abdullah Nasir Rahmani
      Shaikh Abdul Haseeb Madani (CIS Bangalore India)
      Shaikh Abdul Azeem Madani (CIS Bangalore India)
      Abu Zaid Zameer (Pune, India)
      Shaikh Tawseef ur Rahman
      Shaikh Meraj Rabbani
      Shaykh Wasiullah Muhammad Abbas (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia)
      Shaykh Muaz Abu Quhafah Nazeeri
      Shaykh Noorul Hasan Madani (CIS Bangalore India)

SeekerofPurity

May 1, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Any lecture by Sh. Mokhtar Maghraoui!

AFM

May 2, 2011 at 2:30 AM

One important line I read recently, ” Your religion is, what your life is, after the sermon ends”. Isn’t it thought provoking? I find sh. YQ’s ” A piece of the puzzle” very rejuvenating whenever I am low in mood. I expected it to be on the top ten list :-)

Muslimah

May 2, 2011 at 11:31 AM

AslmAlykm

Amazing Lectures MashAllaaah. I would also include Depression vs. Contentment Lecture by Shaykh Sulaiman Mulla. Amazing mashAllaaah. The Arabic was beautiful, the English was simple, perfect, straightforward and to the point he even includes some Urdu all in one.

Mus'ab

May 5, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Assalamu Alaikum,
    I dont think a top ten is possible because each lecture has its own importance Its saddening that Sheikh Bilal Assad found no mention. May Allah reward all the Shuyukh and bless us to benefit out of there lectures.

Verbage

May 6, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Subhan’Allah I love that I got to hear 2 out of the 10 lectures on this list in person! And that AAMA made the list!

Also, I think the famous debate by Ahmed Deedat is a must-view.

Fawaz

May 16, 2011 at 3:19 AM

As-salamu alaykum to all of u.

I think the list should be divided into categories,that way we can get lectures based on topics.

I have included only lectures in English or with English subtitles.

For lectures in languages other than English I would have included Dr Israr Ahmed (Urdu) and Sh. Muhammad Hassaan,Sh Arifi,Sh Aidh Al-Qarni (Arabic),Dr Muhammad Musa Ash-Shareef,Sh Abul Hasan Ali Nadwi

Check this out:

(i)Category :Islam as the Truth
    ——————————————–
    a)Proof that Islam is the Truth by Abdur Raheem Green
    b)The Argument for Islam by Hamza Tzortzis (part of debate with atheist Ed Buckner)
    c)Miracles of Quran by Nouman Ali Khan
    d)Quran and Bible in the Light of Modern Science by Zakir Naik (debate with William Campbell)
    e)Evidence that the Quran is from Allah(God) -The Deen Show with Sabeel Ahmed

(ii)Dawah to atheists
    —————————–
    a)Proof that Islam is the Truth by Abdur Raheem Green
    b)The Existence of God & The Purpose of Life – Abdur Raheem Green
    c)The Argument for Islam by Hamza Tzortzis (part of debate with atheist Ed Buckner)
    d)Why does God permit suffering on earth? – Abdur Raheem Green
    e)Can we live better lives without religion? (Hamza Tzortzis debate)

(iii)Dawah to Christians
    ——————————–
    a)Islamic Trajectories in Early Christianity by Dr. Jerald Dirks
    b)Passion of the Christ? Did Jesus really die for the sins of the world? by Dr. Jerald Dirks
    c)Top Ten reason why Jesus is not God The Deen Show with Joshua Evans
    d)True Message of Jesus Christ by Dr Bilal Philips
    e)Which is True Salvation The Deen Show by Nouman Ali Khan
    f)Priest and preachers coming to Islam by Sh. Yusuf Estes
    g)Is Jesus God? debate with Sh Ahmed Deedat

(iv)Quran-Tafseer,reminders etc
    ——————————————–
    a)Bayyinah Dream Tafseer by Nouman Ali Khan
    b)Divine Speech by Nouman Ali Khan
    c)Dr Israr Ahmed (yes he has given Quran Dars in English
    too… but his Urdu Bayan Ul Quran is simply the best)
    d)Tafseer of Surah Hadeed by Sh Suhaib Hasan

—————
    a)The Mercy of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) – Bilal Assad
    b)Desert Rose by Muhammad Ash-Shareef
    c)Was Muhammad Really a Prophet? Kamal El Mekki on TheDeenShow
    d)Defending the Prophet against Orientalist critique
    e)Prophet Muhammad as The Warrior – Jalal ibn Sa’eed
    f)Mother of the Believers by Sh Suhaib Webb ……(note:to know what kind of husband he was)

(vii)lives of all Prophets

h)Once we were Men by Sh Tawfique Chowdury
    i)Life of Malcolm X by Imam Siraj Wahhaj

(xi)Spirituality
    —————–
    a)Why do we worship God? by Sh Yasir Qadhi
    b)The Power of Repentance – Sh. Yasir Qadhi
    c)How to Taste Sweetness of Prayer – Episode 1 – Mishary al-Kharaz (English Subtitles)
    –>Check out the whole series if u can understand Arabic
    d)The Meaning of the Tashahhud – Sh AbdulNasir Jangda

a)The Devil’s Deception in the New World Order – Abdullah Hakim Quick
    b)Who am I? By Sh. Abdur Raheem McCarthy
    c)Form Captive to Convert -by Sister Yvonne Ridley
    d)Gaza Through our Eyes by Sh Zahir Mahmood
    e)BBC Interview with Mullah Abdul Salam Zaeef
    f)History of Palestine by Sh Suhaib Hasan

OK…Now I am tired!! (u know after all this typing)

Anyway check out these lectures and tell me what u think

Remember me in ur Duah’s

sultana

November 1, 2013 at 7:41 AM

awesme…..cantw8 to check dese out…can usuggest a link wr i can find dese???

Jubair

May 24, 2011 at 4:59 PM

This lecture I think should definitely be on the list.

42. Pingback: How the Bible Led Me to Islam: Christian Dialogue with Islam – Bible or Quran? « Is the Quran the Word of God?

Abu J

June 13, 2011 at 10:32 AM

I think one is just wasting time initiating this kind of meaningless discussions, I dont think list like this should ever be entertained, even if it is just for info sake. Unless you have a Islamic Book shop and are selling these audio, then ok, understandable, Have you asked any Scholar whether this is allowed? No, not ask a Daee in the West, I mean a Scholar upon teh Sunnah from a Muslim country…..By doing this kind of list one is being unjust to the topic and all the leading Daees of the West and the Scholars based in all Muslim countries., as everyone has their own favourite speaker whether correct or not, whether the most important topic or not..

sister B

June 17, 2011 at 12:47 AM

its good to see lists of ten very good lectures.. but i think we mustnt grade them. maybe the post title should be modified to – some of the best talks (10)

Nadeem_ashraf

March 2, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Murtaza Khan . For many of his lectures. Check out THUGS OR MUGS
    Abdulwajid ( 90s) : sex , spliff and rock n roll
    Farid Qassim. Any of his lectures.
    Riyadh Ul Haq.
    Yusuf Estes

steveloveswwe

April 4, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I think you should re-title the article as: “Top Ten Islamic English Lectures of All Time.”

Kshahid

April 27, 2012 at 2:02 AM

What? Where is  Imran Hosein? I wont assume the worst, perhaps you forgot or did not understand him. Thanks for the list tough. Salam!

Lol

April 27, 2012 at 7:22 AM

did everyone forget about sheikh muhammad abduljabbar … brothers i advice you to listen to him great and inspirational

1islam

April 29, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Awlaki did some great series. Should make the list easy! His series available at kalamullah.com

TheCivilMuslim

June 14, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Probably left off due to his extremist praise of the Nidal Hasan shooting….

M H

August 12, 2012 at 6:07 PM

i agree with yu anwar al awlaki should have made the list

Guest

May 9, 2012 at 11:11 AM

‘Top Ten Islamic Lectures of All Time’ and you have no scholars on here, that sums up the level of knowledge of the people of our time.  May Allah guide us all.

a muslim

May 9, 2012 at 3:34 PM

May Allah reward you for this work but I thought Anwar Al Awlaki would be on of them, the amount of work Anwar Al Awlaki has done is amazing.Maybe he is not in one of the top because he talks jihaad

Umm Muhammad

August 4, 2014 at 8:46 PM

May Allah have mercy on his soul. He revived the youth, he awakened many from slumber. His ‘Hereafter’ and ‘Lives of the Prophets’ Series are incredible. I know people avoid talking about him due to what happened surrounding the last few years of his life (Rahimahullah) but whether we ‘rate’ him or not, his lectures are witnesses and they live on..still reviving the youth and instilling the love of this beautiful deen, and encourages many of us to strive for our eternal home. Jannah in shaa Allah.

May we all meet there some day, ameen

Ali Bhatti

June 6, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Sh. Hamza Yusuf’s videos – ESP his video on DAJJAL and the New World Order – it’s my favorite!

Salman

June 9, 2012 at 8:23 PM

“The Reckoning” by Muhammed Andul Jabbar – I think you should put this one cos its a really Powerful lecture, MashAllah.

Zulfikar

June 24, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Brothers… I really think that one name is missing, A very important one. Someone whom I consider a teacher… Our beloved Sheikh Ahmed Deedat… How can we not enlist his lectures in the top 10???

Farah

July 3, 2012 at 8:45 AM

who r the people of taqwa- Nouman Ali khan …one of my all time fave.
    also lectures of br. kamal el mekki n sh abdul nasir jangda are v nice
    great list!!!

jahed

July 9, 2012 at 12:47 PM

wheres ahmed deedat

Bilal Siddiqui

August 9, 2012 at 3:09 AM

nice

abu Yunus

August 11, 2012 at 6:10 PM

This is a very subjective list. What you consider to be top ten might be considered very differently by someone else

ladan

August 28, 2012 at 4:50 PM

you forgot MUFTI MENK !!!!!! if you havn’t heard of him, he will no doubt be one of your favorites, he has a way with words , very well spoken mash’allah,!!!!!

mohammad

September 26, 2012 at 2:05 AM

and nothing for shabeer ally????????!!!!!!

Jamil S

November 7, 2012 at 8:12 AM

1. A Party in Paradise and a Party in the Hellfire / trans to English
    2. The purpose of Life by Khaled Yasin
    3. The priorities of a Muslim by Shaykh Bilal Philips
    4. The Oneness and Uniqueness of Allah (Tawheed) by Shaykh Bilal Philips
    5. Purpose and worship of Allah (Chapter 1 of Kitab at-Tawheed) by Shaykh Abu Suhaib Bassam
    6. Effects of Good Example by Shaykh Moosa bin Nasir/ Trans
    7. A mercy to Mankind by Shaykh Abu Suhaib Bassam
    8. The conditions of the Shahadah by Dr Saleh as Saleh
    9. The Life of Salman al-Farsi (His quest in seeking ilm) by Abu Usamah Adh-Dhahabi
    10. The Companions by Shaykh Ali Hasan alHalabi /trans

Abu Moosaa

November 7, 2012 at 8:30 AM

I just like to say its not about how powerful a lecture or lecturer is or how beneficial it was or about the person who is delivering the topic, as this is not what islamic knowledge is about, but rather its about deriving this ilm from the correct sources and from the correct people of ilm and students of ilm. Which is; the Book of Allah, the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad and the manhaj, methodology and faham, understanding the teacher is upon. Anyone whether islamic qualified or not can teach and give Dawah, but the condition is they must possess ilm and know what they are talking about of the subject at hand. So it is a requirement and safer to stick to the well known Scholars and Daees known for adhering to the Book of Allah, the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad and the manhaj, methodology and faham, understanding. As we have too many Daees giving Dawah and calling to their own way or principles other than Ahlus Sunnah.

*Comment slightly edited by Comments Team*

Yjisting

March 12, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Assa Alaikum Brothers in islam.My opinion is,Dr zakir Naik is the best wassa lam.

idris al afghani

April 2, 2013 at 7:39 PM

MY TOP TEN IF ANYONE CARES: (I GUESS THESE EFFECTED ME THE MOST)

1. AHMED THE REPENTER (BILAL ASSAD – A GURANTEE CRY, I GIVE TO BROTHERS TELL THEM IF THEY DONT CRY I GIVE THEM $50)

2. ISLAM AND EGO (NOUMAN ALI KHAN)

3. A WINDOW TO ISLAM (KHALID YASIN)

4. BIBLE OR QURAN DEBATE WITH JIMMY SWAGGART (AHMED DEEDAT)

5. STORY OF IBRAHIM (LIFE OF PROPHETS SERIES – ANWAR AL AWALKI)

6. PROOF ISLAM IS THE TRUTH (ABDURRAHMAN GREEN)

7. THOSE WHO DESIRE PARADISE (BILAL ASSAD)

8. BEHIND ENEMIES PILOT (SHIEKH FIEZ)

9. LIKE A GARMENT (YASIR QAHDI)

10. PARADISE (ANWAR AL AWALKI – HEREAFTER SERIES)

zahoor

August 21, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Khalid yaseens’ STRANGERS, FROM THE ROOT TO THE FRUIT, PURPOSE OF LIFE AND TRUE SUCCESS must be among top ten

O H

November 5, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Some of my favourite speakers are Shaykh Abu Adnan (contemporary issues, politics, etc), Shaykh Shady Suleiman (extremely motivating), Brother Abu Mussab Wajdi Akkari (good sense of humour and unique style of presenting), Shaykh Ali Tamimi (Islamic creed and fundamentals), Nouman Ali Khan (Tafseer), Bilal Phillips (Tawheed), Shaykh Feiz (motivating the youth and honour of Islam), Shaykh Mohammad Salah and Assim al Hakeem (Huda Tv Fiqh questions) and Belal Assad (heart softeners). That’s sort of my top 10 list of speakers!

Sumayya

December 5, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Dr Israr Ahmads lectures are phenomenal. His lectures are in Urdu, if only they were in English for everyone to listen to! seriously you dont know what your missing out on. I think some of his lectures are translated but not too sure. Nouman Ali Khan has also spoken of him.

He was such an intelligent and inspiring individual; with so much devotion to his deen! May Allah grant in Jannah.Ameen.

iffy

January 3, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Jazakallah for putting this list together, jazakallah for taking the time out to even care to pick out 10 great lectures. Yes, there are many more but I am just so grateful that you compiled this list, because it has given me so much motivation and guidance that I will pray allah swt rewards you for your effort. You will never know just how much you have helped me.

May you be rewarded abundantly

atao rahaman

soltan

July 24, 2014 at 9:11 PM

No Ahmed Deedat? Are you serious? He is the best islamic lecturer of all time

Syed Ali

January 12, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Good Scholars….

but i think we should include Ahmed Deedat as well.

nasi

March 11, 2015 at 5:39 PM

salam muslim brothers i thank u on ur all support to d shiyuukh may allah bless u
    by nasir muhammad dawod
    country nigeria
    state kano
    area sharada phase 2

hassan

April 28, 2015 at 8:37 AM

Sheikh Anwar-Al-Awlaki lectures are best i’ve ever heard, i feel no one has the personality as he had. May Allah grant him highest place in jannah.

usman muhammad usman

July 7, 2015 at 9:05 AM

Jazakhallahu kayran

Ahmed Rana

October 17, 2015 at 1:08 PM

Assalamualaikum, I have watched many debate s and lectures and among them it’s really tough to find best one.Some of the best are given below
    1. Sheikh Ahmed Deedat vs. Pastor Stanley Sjoberg-Is the bible God’s word! (It amazes me how do Christians believe in bible).
    2.Dr. Zakir Naik vs. William Campbell – Qur’an and Bible in the light of Science! (Again I wounded how much blind some people can be!)
    3. What Must I Do To Be Saved,William Lane Craig vs. Shabir Ally! (Pretty amazing)
    4. Religious Extremism,Dr. Bilal Philips .
    5. Lawrence Krauss vs. Hamza Tzortzis-Islam vs Atheism.
    There are so many great debates and lectures by Noman Ali khan,Khalid Yasin, Hamza Yousuf, Abdul Raheem Green,Adnan Rashid,Br. Imran khan, Bilal Assad, Yasir Qahdi,Assim al Hakeem so on.I tried hard to find out some of my best specially debate..

nuux cabdillahi

January 23, 2016 at 3:49 PM

We wish all of them Allah will regard thier good deeds aameen aameen.

Muhammad light

February 19, 2016 at 6:21 AM

Death by imaam anwar awlaki

aliahman

February 25, 2016 at 10:37 AM

writing to as the general delicate of all muslem children in the southwest region of Cameroon, writing to seek for help and foreign aids to help promote our standard of education in this part of the country.your help will be appreciated .
    thanks

aliahman

February 25, 2016 at 10:38 AM

writing to as the general delicate of all muslim children in the southwest region of Cameroon, writing to seek for help and foreign aids to help promote our standard of education in this part of the country.your help will be appreciated .
    thanks

Siddiqua

April 21, 2016 at 12:38 AM

Mashallah very informative n encouraging. may Allah SWT bless U.

Dawah and Interfaith

10 Lessons I Learned While Serving Those in Need

charity
Support MuslimMatters for Just $2 a Month

I have spent about a decade serving the impoverished domestically and recently, abroad. I don’t work for a major charity organization, I work for my community, through grassroots efforts. It was something embedded in me while learning Islam. Before starting a charity organization, I started studying Islam with Dr. Hatem Alhaj (my mentor) and various other scholars. The more I studied, the more I wanted to implement what I was learning. What my community needed at the time was intensive charity work, as it was neglected entirely by our community. From that, I collected 10 lessons from servicing those in need.

1. My bubble burst

One of the first things I experienced was the bursting of my bubble, a sense of realization. I, like many others, was unaware of the hardship in my own community. Yes, we know the hadith and see the events unfold on the news and social media, but when a father of three cried before me because a bag of groceries was made available for him to take home, that moment changed me. We tend to forget how little it takes, to make a huge difference in someone’s life. This experience, made me understand the following hadith of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him): “Every Muslim has to give in charity.” The people then asked: “(But what) if someone has nothing to give, what should he do?” The Prophet replied: “He should work with his hands and benefit himself and also give in charity (from what he earns).” The people further asked: “If he cannot find even that?” He replied: “He should help the needy, who appeal for help.” Then the people asked: “If he cannot do (even) that?” The Prophet said finally: “Then he should perform good deeds and keep away from evil deeds, and that will be regarded as charitable deeds.” – Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 2, Hadith 524. I

t is simply an obligation, due to the amount of good it generates after you do this one action. I then realized even more how beautiful Islam is for commanding this deed.

2. Friendships were developed on good deeds

Serving the poor is a great reward in itself. The Prophet Muhammad ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) said: “Save yourself from hellfire by giving even half a date-fruit in charity.” – Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 2, Hadith 498. But it is better done with a team, I began building a team of people with similar objectives in serving the needy. These people later became some of my closest friends, who better to keep close to you than one that serves Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) by helping the neediest in the same community you reside in. Prophet Muhammad ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) said: “A person is likely to follow the faith of his friend, so look whom you befriend.” [reported by Abu Dawood & Tirmidhee] This is turn kept me on the right path of pleasing Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He). Working with a team removes a lot of the burden as well and the depression that might occur seeing the saddest stories on a daily basis. Allah says in the Qur’ān, “Indeed the believers are brothers.” (49:10). Sometimes there is a misconception that you have to have a huge office or a large masjid in order to get work done. But honestly, all you need is a dedicated group of people with the right intention and things take off from there.

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: 'If you love the poor and bring them near you. . .God will bring you near Him on the Day of Resurrection.' - Al-Tirmidhi,Click To Tweet

3. Made me thankful

This made me thankful for whatever I had, serving the less fortunate reminded me daily to turn to Allah and ask for forgiveness and so be thankful. This kind of service also puts things into perspective. What is truly important in life? I stepped further and further away from a materialistic lifestyle and allowed me to value things that can’t be valued by money. I learned this from the poorest of people in my community, who strived daily for their family regardless of their situation — parents who did what they can to shield their children from their harsh reality. The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “If you love the poor and bring them near you. . .God will bring you near Him on the Day of Resurrection.” – Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 1376. They had a quality about them, despite their poverty status. They were always some of the kindest people I have known.

dardir

4. People want to do Good

I learned that people want to do good; they want to improve their community and society. I began to see the impact on a communal level, people were being more engaged. We were the only Muslim group helping indiscriminately in our county. Even the people we helped, gave back by volunteering at our food pantry. We have schools where small kids (under adult supervision) partake in preparing meals for the needy, local masajids, churches, and temples, high school kids from public schools, and college organizations (Muslim and nonMuslim) visit frequently from several cities in neighboring counties, cities, and states. The good spreads a lot easier and faster than evil. People want to do good, we just need more opportunities for them to join in. United we can rock this world.

“We need more light about each other. Light creates understanding, understanding creates love, love creates patience, and patience creates unity.” Malcolm X. Click To Tweet

5. Smiles

Smiles, I have seen the wealthiest smiles on the poorest people. Despite being on the brink of homelessness, when I saw them they had the best smile on their faces. This wasn’t all of them, but then I would smile back and that changed the environment we were in. The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “Charity is prescribed for each descendant of Adam every day the sun rises.” He was then asked: “From what do we give charity every day?” The Prophet answered: “The doors of goodness are many…enjoining good, forbidding evil, removing harm from the road, listening to the deaf, leading the blind, guiding one to the object of his need, hurrying with the strength of one’s legs to one in sorrow who is asking for help, and supporting the feeble with the strength of one’s arms–all of these are charity prescribed for you.” He also said: “Your smile for your brother is charity.” – Fiqh-us-Sunnah, Volume 3, Number 98. Smiles are truly universal.

6. It’s ok to cry

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah raḍyAllāhu 'anhu (may Allāh be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allah said: “A man who weeps for fear of Allah will not enter Hell until the milk goes back into the udder, and dust produced (when fighting) for the sake of Allah and the smoke of Hell will never coexist.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi and al-Nasaa’i. There are situations you see that hit you hard; they fill your heart with emotions, but that never swayed my concrete belief in Allah’s wisdom. Crying before Allah, not just out of fear, but to be thankful for His Mercy upon you is a relief.

7. Learning to say no

It was one of the hardest things I had to do, a lot (if not all) of the requests I received for help were extremely reasonable. I do not think anyone asked for anything outrageous. Our organization started becoming the go-to organization in our area for help, but we are one organization, with limited resources, and a few times we were restricted on when or how we could help. This is where learning to say no became a learned skill. Wedid do our best to follow up with a plan or an alternative resource.

8. It is part of raising a family and finding yourself

How so? Being involved in your community doesn’t take away from raising your family, it is part of it. I can’t watch and do nothing and expect my children to be heroes. I have to lead by example. Helping others is good for my family’s health. Many people living in our country are consumed with their busy lives. Running out the door, getting to work, driving the kids to their after school activities, spending weekends taking care of their families, etc. So people have a fear of investing hours in doing this type of work. But in reality, this work puts more blessings in your time.

One may feel they are taking time away from their family, but in reality, when one comes back home, they find more peace in their home then they left it with. By helping others, I improve the health and culture of my community, this in turn positively impacts my family.

I enjoy being a softie with my family and friends. I am a tall bearded man, and that image suited me better. I am not sure what made me softer, having kids or serving the poor. Either way, it was rewarding and defined my role and purpose in my community.

I learned that you make your own situation. You can be a spectator, or you can get in there and do the best you can to help. It gave me an opportunity to be a role model for my own children, to show them the benefit of doing good and helping when you can.

It came with a lot of humility. Soon after starting I realized that all I am is a facilitator, Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) is giving an opportunity of a lifetime to do this work, a line of work very little people get to engage in regularly. My advice to my readers, if you can serve the poor do so immediately before you get occupied or busy with life.

Helping others is good for my family’s health.Click To Tweet

9. Dawah through action

As I mentioned before I did spend time studying, and at one point developed one of the top dawah initiatives in the country (according to IERA). But the reality is, helping the less fortunate is my type of dawah, people started to associate our food pantry and helping others with Islam. As an organization with one of the most diverse groups of volunteers, people from various religious backgrounds found the environment comfortable and hospitable. I began working with people I never would have worked before if I had stuck to traditional dawah, studying, or masjid involvement, all of which are critical. This became a symbol of Islam in our community, and while serving, we became those that embodied the Quran and Sunnah. For a lot of those we served, we were the first Muslims they encountered, and Alhamdulilah for the team we have. Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) also says in the Quran: “So by mercy from Allah, [O Muhammad], you were lenient with them. And if you had been rude [in speech] and harsh in heart, they would have disbanded from about you” (3:159). It is our actions that can turn people away or towards Islam.

10. Once you serve the needy, you do this for life

I wasn’t volunteering on occasion,— this was an unpaid job that was done regularly. I got requests and calls for emergencies daily at times. It took up hours upon hours every week. As a charity worker, I developed experience and insight in this field. I learned that this was one of the best ways I could serve Allah [swt. “They ask you (O Muhammad) what they should spend in charity. Say: ‘Whatever you spend with a good heart, give it to parents, relatives, orphans, the helpless, and travelers in need. Whatever good you do, God is aware of it.'” – The Holy Quran, 2:215

I believe the work I do with the countless people that do the same is the best work that can be done in our current political climate and globalization. My views and thoughts have evolved over the years seeing situations develop to what they are today. This gave me a comprehensive outlook on our needs as a society and allowed me to venture off and meet people top in their fields like in social activism, environmentalism, labor, etc.

I want to end with three sectors in society that Muslims prosper in and three that Muslims can improve on. We strive on individual education (noncommunal), distributing and organizing charity, and more recently being politically engaged. What we need to improve on is our environmental awareness, working with and understanding unions and labor rights, and organizing anti-war movements.

Support Our Dawah for Just $2 a Month

Swallowing Your Pride For A Moment Is Harder Than Praying All Night | Imam Omar Suleiman

Support MuslimMatters for Just $2 a Month

Iblees was no ordinary worshipper. He worshipped Allah for thousands of years with thousands of prayers. He ascended the ranks until he accompanied the angels with his noteworthy worship. Performing good deeds was no issue for him. He thanked Allah with his prayers, and Allah rewarded him with a lofty station in Paradise. But when Adam was created and given the station that he was, suddenly Iblees was overcome by pride. He couldn’t bear to see this new creation occupy the place that he did. And as he was commanded to prostrate to him, his pride would overcome him and doom him for eternity. Alas, swallowing his pride for one prostration of respect to Adam was more difficult to him than thousands of prostrations of worship to Allah.

In that is a cautionary lesson for us especially in moments of intense worship. When we exert ourselves in worship, we eventually start to enjoy it and seek peace in it. But sometimes we become deluded by that worship. We may define our religiosity exclusively in accordance with it, become self-righteous as a result of it, and abuse people we deem lesser in the name of it. The worst case scenario of this is what the Prophet (peace be upon him) said about one who comes on the day of judgment with all of their prayers, fasting, and charity only to have it all taken away because of an abusive tongue.

But what makes Iblees’s struggle so relevant to ours? The point of worship is to humble you to your Creator and set your affairs right with His creation in accordance with that humility. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said that whoever has an atom’s worth of pride in their heart would not enter paradise. The most obvious manifestation of that pride is rejecting the truth and belittling someone else. But other subtle manifestations of that pride include the refusal to leave off argumentation, abandon grudges, and humble yourself to the creation in pursuit of the pleasure of the Creator.

Yaqeen

Hence a person would rather spend several Ramadan’s observing the last 10 nights in intense prayer seeking forgiveness for their sins from Allah, rather then humble themselves for a moment to one of Allah’s servants by seeking forgiveness for their transgressions against him, even if they too have a claim.

Jumah is our weekly Eid, and Monday’s and Thursday’s are our weekly semblances of Ramadan as the Prophet (s) used to fast them since our deeds are presented to Allah on those days. He said about them, “The doors of Heaven are opened every Monday and Thursday, and Allah pardons in these days every individual servant who is not a polytheist, except those who have enmity between them; Allah Says: ‘Delay them until they reconcile with each other”

In Ramadan, the doors of Heaven are opened throughout the month and the deeds ascend to Allah. But imagine if every day as your fasting, Quran recitation, etc. is presented to Allah this month, He responds to the angels to delay your pardon until you reconcile with your brother. Ramadan is the best opportunity to write that email or text message to that lost family member or friend and say “it’s not worth it to lose Allah’s forgiveness over this” and “IM SORRY.”

Compare these two statements:

The Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) said: “He who boycotts his brother for more than three days and dies during this period will be from the people of hellfire.”

He also said:

“I guarantee a house in the suburbs of Paradise for one who leaves arguments even if he is right.”

Swallowing your pride is bitter, while prayer is sweet. Your ego is more precious to you than your sleep. But above all, Allah’s pleasure is more precious than it all.

Support Our Dawah for Just $2 a Month

Dawah and Interfaith

Can I Give My Zakat To An Islamic Educational Cause?

Support MuslimMatters for Just $2 a Month

As Ramadan nears its end, many Muslims are thinking about paying their zakat in the last ten nights. But what is a worthy cause to which we can give our zakat and, in particular, what do the scholars have to say on this issue?

A number of Islamic educational and media institutions in the West have in recent years been highlighting their ‘zakat-eligible’ status. The list of these institutions is quite long. In the US, they include this website, the al-Madina Institute, the Yaqeen Institute, Zaytuna College, and the Ta’leef Collective. In the UK, they include Cambridge Muslim College. Some of these institutions focus on covering the cost of tuition for students who would otherwise be unable to pay, but others are focused on running an institution whose raison d’etre is Islamic education.

But some might wonder how such institutions can receive zakat? A common belief is that zakat is meant only for the poor and destitute and that such institutions would, therefore, be ineligible. This is sometimes reinforced by the way that a minority of scholars, including learned ones, might deal with these issues.

Last year in the UK, a respected scholar stated emphatically that “none of the scholars” in Islamic history until modern times had ever said one can give zakat to causes like supporting institutions that promote Islamic education. He asserted that only modern scholars permitted the spending of zakat on such matters in the name of the fī sabīli-Llāh category (which I will explain below). The same British scholar reiterated a similar view in the past couple of weeks, but this time said that his view was the opinion of the “vast majority of scholars”.

The average Muslim may find such conflicting claims confusing. How is it that some scholars say zakat cannot be given to Islamic educational causes, while a large number of prominent Islamic educational institutions, presumably led by Islamic scholars, are directly soliciting zakat funds?

The main reason for this is the existence of difference of opinion (ikhtilāf) among scholars regarding who or what is deserving of zakat payment. The Qur’an (9:60) sets out eight categories of zakat-eligible recipients. While people today often think of zakat as being due to the poor and needy, they only explicitly form two of these categories.

The basis on which many of the aforementioned scholarly institutions claim zakat-eligible status is the category of fī sabīli-Llāh which translates to “in God’s path.” Historically, the more dominant interpretation of this zakat-eligible category was that it referred to jihād in God’s path, i.e. zakat was to be given to people engaged in military expeditions on behalf of the Islamic community.

However, some medieval scholars, and a remarkably large number of modern scholars, appealing to the fact that the Prophet highlighted that jihād was ultimately for the sake of making God’s word prevail (li-takun kalimat Allāh hiya al-‘ulyā), have argued for a far broader understanding of this zakat-eligible category.

Jihād, as a concept, is of course incredibly broad in Islam. For example, one finds in a sound hadith that the Prophet said: “Engage in jihād against the polytheists with your wealth, your lives, and your tongues.” Additionally, some of the verses in the Qur’an that enjoined jihād were revealed in Mecca where military jihād was not yet permitted.

Because of this, a minority of medieval scholars argued that the fī sabīli-Llāh category of zakat recipients could entail payments made to support any righteous acts, while others argued that the category was ultimately about upholding and strengthening Islam specifically through da‘wa initiatives that cause God’s word to prevail of which education is one of the most effective tools.

Indeed, giving seekers of sacred knowledge (ṭullāb al-‘ilm) was deemed a legitimate form of zakat payment according to all four schools of law. Clearly, the respected British scholar cited above was inaccurate in his claim that “none of the scholars,” or only a small minority of them, viewed the fī sabīli-Llāh category as referring to anything other than military engagements.

Among modern Arab ulama, the view that the fī sabīli-Llāh category of zakat recipients can apply to Islamic da‘wa and educational initiatives has perhaps become the dominant position on this issue over the last one hundred years. This is true of all major ideological orientations, whether Salafi, Neo-traditionalist, or Islamist.

Thus, for example, arguably the most important Salafi scholar of his generation, the first Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia, Shaykh Muḥammad b. Ibrāhīm Āl al-Shaykh argued that the most deserving recipient of the fī sabīli-Llāh category of zakat was the cause of da‘wa, and responding to sources of doubt about Islam. Reportedly it is also the final opinion of his most important successor, Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azīz b. Bāz. Among living Salafis, this is the position of senior scholars outside the Saudi religious establishment as well, such as Shaykh Salmān al-‘Awda and Shaykh Ṣāliḥ al-Munajjid (may Allah liberate them from their unjust imprisonment).

It is also the position of senior scholars of the Azhar and Egypt’s Grand Muftis for many generations from the 20th and 21st centuries. In our own time, this includes Neo-traditionalist scholars like ‘Alī Jum‘a and Abdullāh b. Bayyah. While the latter prefers a more restrictive interpretation for the category, he permits the more expansive interpretation in his fatwas.

Among Islamist (Ikhwān) oriented scholars, one finds Shaykh Yūsuf al-Qaraḍāwī, author of what is perhaps the most comprehensive work to be written on the fiqh of zakat in Islamic history, promoting such an understanding as well. His two volume work, which addresses the major debates surrounding the fī sabīli-Llāh category in great detail, has also been translated into English. Among younger Islamist-leaning scholars, the encyclopaedic Mauritanian scholar and master of the Sharia sciences, Shaykh Muḥammad al-Ḥasan al-Dadaw argues that the fī sabīli-Llāh category may even be used in the establishing of educational endowments.

The above is only a selection of voices among those who are supportive of promoting Islamic educational causes on the basis of the fī sabīli-Llāh category of zakat. With due respect to scholars who would argue otherwise, it is clear that this is not only a legitimate legal opinion on this question but may well be the dominant view of many of the leading scholars of modern times.

Our communities are best served by an Islamic discourse that acknowledges the richness and diversity of our great religious tradition rather than restricts it to a narrow range of opinions. As the Prophet said to the Bedouin who prayed for God to exclusively show mercy to himself and the Prophet, “You have constricted what is vast!” (laqad ḥajjarta wāsi‘an).

Since there are a very large number of scholars who have recognised initiatives that promote the sound understanding of Islam to be eligible for receiving zakat, our community is best served by the accurate portrayal of the valid difference of opinion on such matters in which members of the community may legitimately seek to follow either opinion without claiming that the position adopted by others is illegitimate.

In an era in which the sound understanding of Islam is threatened by Islamophobic forces from without and extremist forces from within, we all recognise the importance of Islamic education as a central concern for contemporary Muslims to prioritise. May we all support this cause, whether through zakat or by some other means.

Support Our Dawah for Just $2 a Month