Announcements

Sunday 10-25-2009 | Just Another Open Thread

MuslimBismillah-irRahman-irRaheem. As salamu alaykum wa Rahmat Allahi wa Barakatuhu.

posted by abu abdAllah Tariq Ahmed

I’m curious, so I hope you’ll indulge me. What are you reading? I mean in the way of books, newspapers, magazines — electronic or print. And how do you choose what to read? For example, is what you read driven by work needs? Or by recommendations, and if so, from whom?

Support MuslimMatters for Just $2 a Month

A few interesting topics from the New York Times:
1) For Some Parents, Shouting Is the New Spanking
2) Money Talks to Have Before Marriage

Alhamdolillah, I’m taking Fiqh of Love in Houston this November. My fiancee will be there, too, inshaAllah, with her children, alhamdolillah. Clearly both of these articles were interesting to me personally. Alhamdolillah, she’s done an amazing job with her children, and she credits the parenting courses of Drs. Ekram and M. Rida Beshir. Their book, Blissful Marriage, is pretty impressive, too, alhamdolillah.

3) A Fast-Track Alternative to a Teaching Job

With the economy still in flux, many people have decided to answer the need of schools around the country — and take up teaching. The article discusses alternatives to the traditional route of getting a degree in education/teaching.

Maybe you wonder why most of my links are from the NY Times. I think I started reading the Times over other newspapers back during the Bush Administration. Any paper that President Bush and his minions hated had to have some redeeming qualities.

So far Obama’s just another US President waging wars that kill innocent Muslims. Does that mean I should follow the same logic and start getting my news from the people he does not like? From Glenn Beck, Bill O’, and the other good folks at Fox Views? Well, no. I can still diss Fox because President Bush loved them so much. Plus, dude, Fox is the North Korea of journalism. Armed and annoying.

So if you want a source that asks tough questions without an overload of bias, where do you get your news? The Daily Show?

Support Our Dawah for Just $2 a Month

Bismillah walhamdolillah. May Allah accept my repentance and yours. I am an attorney, a stepfather, a husband, a son, and a Muslim. Studying Islam is a means, reflecting what I have learned is a must, and to Allah is the inevitable return.If you would like my help, know that Allah is the source of all aid. If you would like to contact me, try tariqnisarahmed at Gmail, LinkedIn, Twitter, or add me as a friend on Facebook.

aysam

October 25, 2009 at 6:45 AM

I don’t think why’d you think that the NYT was such a critic of the Bush government; the NYT is actually a very conservative newspaper when it comes to politics; just notice the pro-Israel, pro-war, pro-globalization, and often anti-Muslim sentiments expressed in the paper. Robert Fisk and Noam Chomsky have criticized it extensively. Also, many of the “scientific studies” they report are laughable.

BintKhalil

October 25, 2009 at 8:10 AM

I suppose it’s like Obama being awarded the Nobel for not being Bush – the NYTimes is to be commended for not being Fox News. The standards are just that low.

abu abdAllah Tariq Ahmed

October 25, 2009 at 12:39 PM

:) “some redeeming qualities” was meant to suggest I am aware that the New York Times has its failings.

Speaking of failings, maybe Bush should have liked the New York Times. That was irrelevant to my point, though. That President Bush and his cronies hated the NY Times was widely understood. Read, for example, this article from the Guardian.

I think BintKhalil’s comment may also shed light on Bush’s feelings. Remember, “if you’re not with us, you’re against us.” Bush loved his lapdogs at Fox News, and loyalty to “us” meant loyalty to him, not loyalty to the USA. So any perceived criticism of him was treacherous if not downright treasonous.

BintKhalil

October 25, 2009 at 3:22 PM

An excellent piece in the NYtimes about the state of the media and what people will do for fame. As Muslims, we need to be able to glean the wheat from the chaff and not throw everything out altogether.

BintKhalil

October 25, 2009 at 8:02 AM

Assalamu alaikum

Al Jazeera English

MentalMuslim

October 25, 2009 at 9:08 AM

2nd that — AlJazeera English is very good (I have access to it on TV through IslamBox)!

aysam

October 25, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Al Jazeera is much better but not without its flaws either. The brother is right; it’s all a relative game. I personally like The Independent in the UK. Also, a lot of the independent left-learning media projects are much better than the mainstream news media organizations. Democracy Now is very good for example.

abu abdAllah Tariq Ahmed

October 25, 2009 at 12:49 PM

When AlJazeera English became available, I really looked forward to the opportunity to watch. But, somehow, it was a letdown. Couldn’t live up to expectations, maybe. We used to get them via satellite, but have switched networks since then. I still follow their posts on twitter, but boiled down to 140 characters, they have become even less appealing.

On the other hand, some of their documentary segments have been well-produced, and a few of those I have seen on youtube.

Maybe it’s time to give their website a chance. http://english.aljazeera.net/

BrownS

October 26, 2009 at 1:29 AM

It’s sad that they’re running out of funding, and that Israeli media mogul Haim Saban is angling to buy half of it.

abu abdAllah Tariq Ahmed

October 26, 2009 at 7:54 AM

That would be an awful fate for AlJazeera — in any language.

Not likely that we would see any more stories like this one about Israel striving to get the international Law of War changed to legitimize its behavior in Gaza.

abu abdAllah Tariq Ahmed

October 26, 2009 at 8:09 AM

And would you trust an Israeli-owned AlJazeera to report on Al Aqsa?

alima

October 25, 2009 at 11:00 AM

I’m currently reading: Work Hard. Be Nice.: How Two Inspired Teachers Created the Most Promising Schools in America – by Jay Mathews
    It’s about the KIPP (Knowledge is Power Program) charter schools that have become a huge phenomenon in educating low-income kids across the United States.

Why am I reading it: I’m currently in teachers’ college and trying to look in to alternative schools (not a fan of public schools). Also I am trying to wrap my head around the insane amount of problem that the Islamic schools in my area seem to have. Ultimately: I want to change things in the education of low-income kids, and find a way to help Islamic schools become a more viable option for parents to send their children to, Bi ithnillahi ta’ala.

What guides my reading choices: I have a tough time with “leisure reading”, I always feel like I’m wasting my time :) so I try to make my reading both fun and beneficial. “Work Hard. Be Nice” is an amazing and fun read. I also love anything by Malcolm Gladwell. I can justify stuff like this as creativity and idea development ;)

Cultural literacy is also super important to me so I try to read some “touch stone” social/cultural books. If you haven’t read The Autobiography of Malcolm X do it…now! To kill a mocking bird is on my ‘to read’ list for this reason (I missed it in high school)

What is everyone else reading?

abu abdAllah Tariq Ahmed

October 25, 2009 at 1:12 PM

If you haven’t read The Autobiography of Malcolm X do it…now!

Agreed, especially for any Muslim who lives in America. Another slice of American history that I think Muslims here should know is in Dee Brown’s Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee.

I loved Gregory Peck’s To Kill a Mockingbird more than the book.

Jazak Allah khayr for the Work Hard, Be Nice recommendation!

Holly Garza

October 28, 2009 at 8:36 AM

MashaAllah Great reads! I agree with you on the schooling problem :(

Ibn Masood

October 25, 2009 at 5:48 PM

The Daily Show is the greatest news program in history. Period.

coolred38

October 26, 2009 at 2:28 AM

Im currently reading The Complete Infidels Guide to the Koran…by Robert Spencer…always interesting to read both sides of the issue…gives me a better understanding of those who I disagree with (maybe not completely)…and sometimes…just sometimes…I learn something I didnt know before. Neat how that happens sometimes.

Supporter of Tariq

October 26, 2009 at 7:16 AM

This is the official Facebook Group for those who believe that Tariq Mehanna is innocent, and who hope that truth and justice prevail, inshaAllah: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=159128188381&v=wall

abu abdAllah Tariq Ahmed

October 26, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Whoa! CAIR accused by lawmakers of being an effective force on Capitol Hill… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg8_IkNpUx0&feature=player_profilepage

Brother

October 26, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Its rather ironic how we are trying to find “credible” and “trustworthy” sources, when this website (MuslimMatters) clearly displayed it is neither….Maybe the authors of MM can take a look at this piece http://www.opednews.com/articles/Tariq-Mehanna-Obama-s-Lat-by-Stephen-Lendman-091026-208.html and reflect upon it for a bit…. just a suggestion…

Holly Garza

October 28, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Asalaamu Alaikum I don’t feel MuslimMatters is unreliable and neither do other readers. AllahuAlim

ahmed

October 27, 2009 at 7:24 AM

Shame on you for depending on god-dangit kuffaar for your information?? How do we trust him? he is part of media concipiracy, isn’t he??

oh wait a minute… this is good for us. So, we can trust “kuffaar” journalist only when it suit our cause? got it.

Supporter of Tariq

October 27, 2009 at 7:45 AM

Holly Garza

October 28, 2009 at 8:33 AM

Asalaamu Alaikum The “kuffar” are our Brothers and sisters in humanity. Maybe the media is not reliable but to hate is not the Islamic way either. InshaAllah we can all remember that.

Brother

October 28, 2009 at 11:19 AM

What are you talking about?….I don’t understand what “kuffaar” has anything to do with? I was just comparing one piece on the brother to another piece on the brother from this website?….(responding to brother ahmed)

Supporter of Tariq

October 27, 2009 at 7:25 AM

I’m waiting to see a post on supporting Tariq and his family. God bless you.

Holly Garza

October 28, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Asalaamu Alaikum I actually watched the news last night on channel eleven they had a piece called “Chicago matters” featuring Inner city Muslims and the Program. I was intrigued there was actually a positive and a Muslim…Unfortunately I fell asleep with it on Chanel 2 woke up for Fajr and managed to actually fall back asleep only to wake up to terrible terrorism news as the first thing I heard :( May Allah be with the innocent and terrorized

Supporter of Tariq

October 28, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Let’s continue the support guys – join the FB group:

Sign the petition for Tariq: http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?Tarekm

13. Pingback: Sunday Open Thread 11-1-2009 | And now for something completely different… | MuslimMatters.org

Announcements

Ramadan Mubarak: This Ramadan Is Going To Be Different…

This Ramadan is going to be different. No Taraweeh in the masjid. No parties for Iftar. All dressed up and nowhere to go. Except exactly where we need to be.

This Ramadan is going to be different. Alone with your Lord, but together in our isolation. This Ramadan, rediscover your faith. Rediscover the beauty of personal worship, even as we as we pray for the return of communal celebrations.

Ramadan Mubarak with love from MuslimMatters.

Support MuslimMatters for Just $2 a Month

Support Our Dawah for Just $2 a Month

Announcements

Editor’s Choice: Top 10 Articles Of 2019

Top ten posts of 2019

MuslimMatters is grateful to Allah for our readers and our writers for collaborating to build the Muslim Internet’s most widely read online magazine. It is an honor to publish every article that goes up on the site. Here are the editor’s choices from the top most read articles of 2019.

10. Reflections on Muslim Approaches to the Abortion Debate: The Problem of Narrow Conceptualization | Sh Salman Younas

This comprehensive scholarly essay, published in August, was nuanced and forces the reader to take a step back and holistically look at the issue of abortion. Shaykh Salman, a traditional trained scholar, is completing his PhD at Oxford University on early Hanafi fiqh.

American Muslims must go beyond simplistic and emotionally-charged approaches to the abortion question. This issue, like many others, cannot be properly addressed through a narrowly defined law, politics, or clash of ideologies narrative, especially at the level of individual fatwā, communal irshād, or political activism, advocacy, and legislation.Click To Tweet

9. Shaykh Hamza Yusuf And The Question of Rebellion In The Islamic Tradition | Dr Usaama al-Azami

In this September piece, which predated many controversies, Dr Azami, a Departmental Lecturer in Contemporary Islamic Studies at the University of Oxford argues against Shaykh Hamza’s contention that the Islamic tradition has uniformly called for rendering obedience to tyrannical rule.

8. What Fasting Demands From Us | Mufti Taqi Uthmani

Support MuslimMatters for Just $2 a Month

This article was a Ramadan treat, a translation of the work by the esteemed South Asian scholar.

It is, however, important when there is the temptation, the heart desires it, and the environment encourages it, and then in submission to the command of Allah one says, “مَعَاذَ الله” “I seek refuge of Allah” (Surah Yūsuf, 12:24). This is the worship that Allah has created mankind.Click To Tweet

Ramaḍān is commonly viewed as only a month of fasting and tarāwīḥ, and that there is no other significance to it. Without a doubt, the fasting and the tarāwīḥ prayers are two major acts of worship in this month. However, the reality is that the blessed month of Ramaḍān demands more from us.

7. When Faith Hurts | Zeba Khan

This piece by our Director of Development and regular writer, Zeba Khan, hit a nerve with many readers. It went deep into recognizing that faith is not a protection from pain, and pain is not the absence of faith.

Our spiritual education is broken. In order to fix it, we have to be upfront with each other. We have to admit that we can be happy with Allah and still find ourselves devastated by the tests He puts before us, because faith is not a protection from struggle.Click To Tweet

6. Emotional Intelligence: A Tool for Change | Imam Mikaeel Smith

The Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) displayed perfection in both moral intelligence and interpersonal understanding and the author, Imam Mikaeel Smith encapsulates this in his book on Prophetic emotional intelligence.

Moral Intelligence helps us maintain our ideals and live by them, while Emotional Intelligence ensures that the message is effectively communicated to othersClick To Tweet

Emotional Intelligence by itself is not sufficient for individual reform or societal reform; instead, it is only one part of the puzzle. The ʿaql or intellect that is referenced repeatedly in the Qurʾān is a more comprehensive tool that not only recognizes how to understand the psychological and emotional aspects of people but recognizes morally upright and sound behavior.

5. Sri Lankan Muslims To Fast In Solidarity With Fellow Christians | Raashid Riza

Mainstream Muslims have in fact been at the forefront not just locally, but also internationally in the fight against extremism within Muslim communities. Sri Lankan Muslims, a numerical minority, though a well-integrated native community in Sri Lanka’s colourful social fabric, seek to take lead in helping to alleviate the suffering currently plaguing our nation. This article is on this list not just because it was an excellent read but because of the positive effect it had on repairing divides causes by the attacks.

4. Loving Muslim Marriage Episode #2: Do Women Desire Sex? | Saba Syed, Zeba Khan

In this episode, the Loving Muslim Marriage team asks an obvious question with what seems like an obvious answer – do women need sex? Obviously, yes. If that’s the case though, then why is expressing a sexual need, or seeking help for sexual issues such a taboo in Muslim cultures? Obviously many people wanted to learn more.

3. Are You Prepared for Marriage and Building a Family? | Mona Islam

The article is a curriculum for young Muslims with real life examples that parents, teachers and youth groups can use. Expert curriculum designer, Mona Islam, emphasizes on the need for this education in middle and high school.

In retrospect, we learn that marriage is not simply a door that we walk through which changes our life, but something that each young Muslim and Muslima should be preparing for individually through observation, introspection, and reflection.Click To Tweet

2. The Day I Die | Imam Omar Suleiman

Imam Omar’s column never fails to uplift readers. This was his most poignant post.

A wise man once said to me, “Always put your funeral in front of you, and work backwards in constructing your life accordingly.” With the deaths of righteous people, that advice always advances to the front of my thoughts.Click To Tweet

1.  Few Can Build Many Can Destroy | Sh Mohammad ElShinawy

With so many internal and external forces bent on crushing our souls. this article compels us to adopt the Quranic formula for returning the ummah to health; focus on developing the good, more than destroying the evil.

The Quran also nurtured in its reader’s spirit the magnificence of God, far more than it illustrated the futility of idol-worship, all because deepening your understanding of who Allah is will always outperform identifying who Allah is not, and because the second will naturally happen once the first has been secured.Click To Tweet

InshaAllah, we will publish lesser read pieces that were gems that readers may  have missed.

Support Our Dawah for Just $2 a Month

Announcements

Complicated?:​ ​The A-Z of Women’s Modern Fiqh | Sh Waleed Basyouni

You know that frustrating feeling of not knowing the answers to certain questions?

Questions like:

…am I praying or am I not?

Support MuslimMatters for Just $2 a Month

…can I touch the Quran or can I not…?

…did that man really just say that because I’m a woman, I can’t do this, or wear that, or speak up?

Every ​question,​ every ​concern,​ every ​misconception on​ Women’s Fiqh… What if you had the answers?

Women’s fiqh has a reputation for being complicated. However, the reason why is because nobody has given it the full attention it needs in the context of Muslim women living in the West today.

I propose we end that confusion, stop the misuse of Islamic texts, and reclaim the knowledge. This applies to the men, as well. Men will want to learn about this as well – not just because they have women in their life (a mom, a sister, a wife or a daughter). But because knowing the fiqh specific to half of the world’s population saves everyone from making dangerous mistakes.

The answers to your questions and the knowledge you’re looking for comes in a complete, online guided course:​ Complicated?:​ ​The A-Z of Women’s Modern Fiqh.

It’s titled with a question mark because it really isn’t that complicated. This is the complete online course that covers every stage of a woman’s natural lifecycle. From newborns, puberty, and education, to marriage, old age, and the eventual janazah.

Plus, it covers modern fiqh questions about topics like careers, public speaking, fashion, social interactions and textual misconceptions.

Here’s what past attendees have to say about this course:

“Throughout the course, I was nodding all the time….. …..like YES, this is a question I’ve had….

…. and thank you for answering it.

It opened my eyes to so many different issues,

Som that I was struggling with, and some I hadn’t even considered.”– From author and speaker, Sr Asmaa Hussain

“At first, I thought it would be a course on the usual Fiqh of Women stuff… …like pregnancy, periods, ghusl, salah. Sure that was there and with great clarity… …but it was literally the A-Z: He talked about women’s leadership, women as judges, women in positions of power… Never had I felt more empowered, more confident.…and especially grateful to be present in this class. “ – Ustadha Taimiyyah Zubair

You will also get to listen to these guest speakers:

• Imam Omar Suleiman ​- AlMaghrib Instructor, ​civil rights activist, writer, and speaker
  • Dunia Shuaib -​ Certified marriage educator, author, and lecturer
  • Maryam Amir ​- Hafidha  and social justice educator
  • Dr. Marwa Assar -​ Psychologist, educator, writer, CEO of H.O.M.E.
  • Hina Mirza​ – Registered psychotherapist

And watch recorded bonuses with:

• Ustadha Taimiyyah Zubair​ – Instructor at AlMaghrib Institute
  • Asmaa Hussain​ – Author of the best seller- A Temporary Gift
  • Sarah Sultan​ – Mental health counselor
  • Noor Salem​ – Nutritionist, author and speaker
  • Aminah Khan​ – Entrepreneur, Founder of Amanah Fitness
  • Shaykh Yahya Ibrahim​ – Instructor at AlMaghrib Institute

Every question ever asked about Women’s fiqh is answered in this online course. And if you still have more questions, there are Live Q&A sessions scheduled for you to ask what hasn’t already been discussed.

If you are interested in joining, then make sure you register before ​today Oct 10th 11:59pm, ​when the course closes.

Click on the link below and get access to your student portal today:

www.almaghrib.online