Help Wanted: Copy Editors for MuslimMatters

Update (11th July 2015): The deadline for applications has now passed. JazakumAllah khair to all those who applied – and to all those who pointed out the typos in this post! Good catch, masha’Allah! ;) We have many applications to sort through, which will take a good 2-3 weeks, especially with Eid coming up, so please bear with us. Due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to reply to every one. You should hear back from us within three weeks if you were successful, insha’Allah. Otherwise, there will be plenty more opportunities to work with MM in the near future, so please keep your eyes peeled for further announcements. Many thanks for your support, and a blessed Ramadan and Eid to you all! – Mehzabeen

[divider]Help Wanted: Copy Editors for MuslimMatters[/divider]

Title: Copy Editor

Application deadline: July 10th, 2015

Muslim Matters is an established digital magazine that regularly delivers award-winning content to readers residing all over the English-speaking world.

Our mission is to provide a safe, online community, which discusses issues relevant to Muslims, offering practical solutions, shaped by the experiences and viewpoints of our writers.

Get more of our great articles.

The site launched in 2007 with a handful of bloggers. It has since grown into an organization of over 50 volunteer staff – including editors, technical support, respected scholars, and talented content providers – all dedicated to the same vision: to please Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) by enabling orthodox thought leaders to affect positive change.

Masha’Allah, our articles have a global audience, and we are looking for multiple copy editors to join our team to help produce content of the highest quality, that will benefit thousands of Muslims all over the world.

If you want to volunteer your time and skills to aid the growth of a committed and creative dawah organization please read the Job description and Requirements below and send your resume with a covering letter addressed to the H.R. Manager, via recruitment[at]muslimmatters.org, quoting the reference: “Copy Editor”.

Please note that we are unable to respond to all applications: successful candidates will be contacted within three weeks of the closing date, insha’Allah.

[divider]Role: Copy Editor[/divider]

Reports to: Transcription Team Lead, Managing Editor & Editor-in-Chief

Description

The copy editor will work as part of the larger editorial team to perform some or all of the following duties:

• Mechanical editing of grammar, usage, spelling, and punctuation.
  • Minor Content editing: covers logic, syntax, structure, and fact checking.
  • Major Content Editing: involves critiquing posts and digging holes in arguments with the aim of solidifying the article.
  • Copy editing Islamic scholarly articles.
  • Copy editing transcripts of lectures, which includes listening to the lecture and making sure the transcriber correctly transcribed the lecture and that it is readable.

Successful copy editors will possess the following attributes:

• Computer expertise
  • Familiarity with pagination and design software
  • Creativity
  • Detail oriented
  • Deadline driven
  • Excellent written and verbal communication
  • Meticulous proofreading
  • Strong fact checking

Requirements

Prior experience editing articles with a publication or a Muslim organization preferred. A bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English or related fields preferred.

College students are welcome to apply for an internship.

Work Schedule

This is a voluntary role that will involve up to 4 hours of work a week, to be completed remotely.

31 / View Comments

31 responses to “Help Wanted: Copy Editors for MuslimMatters”

1. Mahnoor Khan says:

Salaam. How can one apply for an internship?

2. Asmaa says:

Excellence written and verbal communication

Shouldn’t it be saying “Excellent”, instead of Excellence?

Edit it please.

• Seher says:

Hired! Lol, I think they were going for “Excellence IN written and verbal communication”

• Malika says:

…orthodox thought leaders to affect positive change.??? OR “Leaders with orthodox thinking to affect positive change”?

• Hj. Umar says:

Assalamu aleikum.

Either “orthodox thought leaders” or “leaders with orthodox thinking” is an acceptable option. However, the line contains a separate error: it should read “effect” positive change, not “affect” positive change. To effect change means to bring about a change, which is the intended meaning of this line; to “affect” change would be to “change a change” (or to “affect an affect”).

Wasalam.

3. Mary Taddia says:

Salaam alaykum, how soon are you looking to fill these positions? Thanks,
    Mary

4. Shumaysa says:

Walaikumassalaam warehmatullahi wabarakatuhu. Yes I am interested in working as a copy editor for you. Kindly send me the form if I need to fill any.

5. abdulrafay says:

after salutation, sir i want to enroll myself as a copy editor. Tell me if i need to do anything.

6. Neha says:

I’m an A-Level (British System) graduate. I took and year of before gping to university and now this year InshAllah i will be going to university on a 50% scholarship for english literature and language. I am very interested in doing either an internship or voluntary work as an copy-Editor. I would be very grateful if you get back to me. Assalam ü alikum.

7. Dr. Fatima (Edna Joyce) Santos says:

Assalam alaykum. It would be an honor for me to be one of the copy editors for your prestigious organization. To be able to help edit educational books in Islam will be a great privilege if given the chance.

8. Tanveer Alam says:

For sure.
    It is really a good work to do and I would certainly like to give as much time as I can.
    I would like to work as a volunteer.
    However, I can’t promise of four hours in a week but yes I will try my best to contribute as much as possible because I am service man.

9. Sana says:

Asalamalaikum
    I would be interested in the role of a Copy editor for your emagazine. Please let me know how do I proceed with the above. Jazakallah khair n Ramadan Kareem to your entire team :-)

10. Hj. Umar says:

Assalamu aleikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu.

Yes, you definitely need a copy editor to correct errors prior to posting, e.g., your 50 volunteer staff who are all dedicated to the same vision:

“to please Allah sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)”

Wasalam.

• Hj. Umar says:

Assalamu aleikum.

After my previous post someone attempted a correction using Arabic script, but it is still wrong. It should read “subhana wa ta’ala” – (“glorious and exalted is He”), NOT “sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)” which is intended for Rasulullah Muhammad S.A.W.

Wasalam.

11. Suhail says:

assalamualaikum,
    I’m running Oasis spoken English classes in Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, India. I am keenly interested to voluntarily work for this group, expecting reward from Allah swt. Please let me know if I can in any form be a helping hand in this noble cause. JazakAllahu khairan kaseera, wassalamu alaikum.
    Suhail Sayyad.

12. Najib says:

As salaam alaikum. wat provision do u have for a graduate student with no prior experience as required but with the needed degree

13. Marco Montini says:

I was looking for a way to earn a bit of extra income. I would love to if it were possible. I have a Masters…

14. shamim ur rahman says:

Yes I can do editing fairly well

15. muntasir shaaban al farsy says:

i wish to apply for internship…at the moment i work on an article re- the life story of holy kaaba

my place of work is muscat media group – oman as a sales coordinator but i also write some clips

i enjoy writing historical events…at present i also concentrate on the 75 th anniversary of the very first

government school established in oman

i am under-graduate from mundelein and rockford colleges , illinois… my major subjects were english inter-

grated ; history of the hispanics and psychology

i did work briefly at american radio network in hollywood , calif. as co- host in commercial and music

16. Samira Esat says:

Salaam

Are the copy editor roles paid work or voluntary?

17. Badmos Tolulope Sirajudeen. says:

I will like to say am in. I will help in getting information across to other muslims here in Nigeria to disseminate more about Islam. Am a graduate of the Performing Arts, University of Ilorin, Nigeria.

18. Amy says:

Assalaamu Alaykum everyone who is commenting here,

The instructions for applying for the copy editor position are clearly outlined above. Please keep in mind that even our comments here reflect our English and writing skills. Certainly those who are seriously interested in the position will represent themselves best by paying attention to the instructions given and communicating in the clear, well-crafted manner the staff is seeking.

• Hj. Umar says:

Assalamu aleikum wa rahmatullah wa baraktuhu.

I cannot speak for the others, but I clearly understand the application directions. The reason that I haven’t applied is that in these comments I have made observations concerning the Copy Editor job posting that have been ignored. You continue in your notice to refer to Allah S.W.T. as “Allah S.A.W.”; wishing “peace of Allah be upon Allah” is a lot like bringing coals to Newcastle as well as redundant. Your failure to change this uncomplicated error after it has been pointed out to you twice (indeed, disguising the original error with the use of Arabic characters) is tendentious. My concern is when you stubbornly refuse to make an essential change that is pointed out to you now, that this indicates the Copy Editor will lack any influence to produce corrective results later. Consequently, I’m not applying for the Copy Editor post.

Ramadan Mubarak and Wasalam.

• Amy says:

I am not sure why you are directing your comments to me, I am not on the staff here. I commented as I did to help my brothers and sisters out.

• Hj. Umar says:

Assalamu aleikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu.

Amy, I apologize. I mistakenly assumed without justification that you were a staff member.

May Allah S.W.T. bless you and reward you well in this world and the next for your effort to assist others.

Ameen.

Wasalam.

19. Haji Abdul Kareem Nandasena says:

Will forward my application to help as a copy editor after Eid ul Fitr please. WasSalaam. Haji Abdul Kareem Nandasena. Sri Lanka.

20. From the perspective of a recruiter, I would not accept (or respond to) a single one of the comments posted here by anyone attempting to apply via comment or asking how to apply.

Why? Because editing requires READING and by reading anyone can learn specifically how to apply being that the instructions are written in crystal clear English. Therefore, if you had to post a comment asking how to apply, you already failed the basic requirement of the position: reading comprehension.

21. Kirarira Issa says:

Thanks for the good work.How do i share with you news and opinions without being payed as part of my contribution to your online news paper

22. Hj. Umar says:

Assalamu aleikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu.

Alhamdulillah, the Arabic words for S.W.T. (Glorious and Exalted be He) have replaced the erroneous words for S.A.W. (Peace be Upon Him) as the appellation for Allah in the job posting.

Jazakum Allahu Khair to the Muslimmatters staff.

Wasalam.

23. The deadline for applications has now passed. JazakumAllah khair to all those who applied – and to all those who pointed out the typos in this post! Good catch, masha’Allah! ;) We have many applications to sort through, which will take a good 2-3 weeks, especially with Eid coming up, so please bear with us. Due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to reply to every one. You should hear back from us within three weeks if you were successful, insha’Allah. Otherwise, there will be plenty more opportunities to work with MM in the near future, so please keep your eyes peeled for further announcements. Many thanks for your support, and a blessed Ramadan and Eid to you all!