Add Images of Islamic Phrases to Your WordPress Posts using Shortcodes

MuslimMatters.org presents Islamic Graphics: a WordPress plugin that allows you to easily insert images of common Islamic phrases directly into your posts and pages via shortcodes.

Islamic phrases include:

• ‘alayhis salam – 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him)
  • rahimaha Allah – raḥimahā Allāh (may Allāh have mercy upon her)
  • rahimahu Allah – raḥimahullāh (may Allāh have mercy upon him)
  • rahimahum Allah – raḥimahum Allāh (may Allāh have mercy upon them)
  • radiallahu ‘anha – raḍyAllāhu 'anha (may Allāh be pleased with her)
  • radiallahu ‘anhu – raḍyAllāhu 'anhu (may Allāh be pleased with him)
  • radiallahu ‘anhum – raḍyAllāhu 'anhum (may Allāh be pleased with them)
  • sallalahu ‘alayhi wa salam – ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him)
  • subhanahu wa ta ‘ala – subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He)

Both black and white versions of each graphic are provided.
Romanized text and the English translation can also be inserted to assist readers who do not know Arabic, as shown below:

Images only - islamic phrase appears upon mouse rollover.

Images with translation - English translation appears in brackets next to image.

Romanized text with translation - a text only option.

Romanized text only

Translation only

Click here to download the plugin for free – please don’t forget to rate it. :)

Updates:

• 1st Feb 2012: version 1.1.0 – Options page added under Dashboard > Settings > Islamic Graphics. Now you can choose to display images with or without accompanying text, set the default image height, and default colour.
  • 23rd Jan 2012: version 1.0.7 – Alt and title text added. Hover your mouse over an Islamic graphic to see the transliterated version of the phrase, as well as the meaning in English.
  • 14th Jan 2012: version 1.0.6 – New images added! Rahimahullah, rahimaha Allah, rahimahum Allah.
  • 13th Jan 2012: version 1.0.5 – Changes made to improve image quality. JazakAllah khair Saqib for the recommendations.

Get more of our great articles.
24 / View Comments

24 responses to “Add Images of Islamic Phrases to Your WordPress Posts using Shortcodes”

1. Siraaj says:

Btw, this plugin was written by the author of this article (awesome job writing the plugin). It was done to solve a problem we had in our upcoming new version of MM, insha’Allah ;)

Siraaj

• It’s actually surprisingly easy to write a simple WordPress plugin masha’Allah… especially the one above, which is essentially one function. :D I will definitely be writing more if and when the need arises. It’s quite fun. [/nerd] :P

2. Zahid says:

Salaam alaikum,
    Does any techie out there know how we could use these inline in MS Word etc? I do translation work and these would be very beneficial. Thanks.

• Wa ‘alaykum salam wa rahmatullah

The SAW graphic is based on the unicode symbol: ﷺ. The other graphics bar SWT were based on the font “Islamic Phrases”, designed by AlMedia.net, which is available to download for free, for personal use only, from http://www.almedia.net/free-arabic-fonts.htm. Therefore you could create custom keyboard shortcuts in Word to quickly insert these symbols insha’Allah.

I found the SWT symbol online, and re-drew it as it was not very good quality.
      That’s the only one you would not be able to embed as easily… perhaps you could use a keyboard shortcut to embed the image… not sure if that’s possible. Or perhaps you could generate your own font (Google for more info) and do as above insha’Allah.

• You might also be able to use Word’s autocorrect function, and use a similar shortcode system, e.g., where [saw] is replaced with the unicode symbol.

3. Ma-sha-Allah good job. I use WordPress for all my websites and this will come in handy.

4. Yasmin says:

Jazakallah khair for creating this very useful plugin!

5. Nahyan says:

very nice mashaAllah, will put it to use.
    Jazakallahukhair.

6. JazakumAllah khair – please rate the plugin when you download it from the WordPress.org site. :)

7. Thank you for this plugin. I’ll install it on my website as soon as this SOPA blackout is over, Inshallah.

8. You could also use AutoHotkey and then you could use it in all applications supporting UTF-8 font.

9. Mariya says:

Jazak Allah for the work and it looks very beautiful.

Inshallah, I will use it when required. However, they are so small and cannot be easily read by a person who is not well accustomed to these greetings and phrases. A convert or even not a well educated muslim does not know the difference between anha, anhu, and anhum. The greeting after the prophets name is obvious. Most people know that but not others. So, I think we should still write out in some cases.

This is only my opinion.

• Salam Mariya

Thanks for bringing up this point. I have now added alt and title text to the images, so if you place your mouse pointer over the Islamic graphic you should see the transliterated phrase and the meaning in English. E.g., raḥimahā Allāh (may Allah have mercy upon her). I hope this will make things easier for those who are not familiar with the phrases insha’Allah. :)

10. […] black version of each graphic is provided. Preview available on my MuslimMatters post, which is also where I log plugin updates. Download the Islamic Graphics plugin from the […]

11. Islam says:

Thank you very much for share this plug in. I will install the plugin in my site.

12. Ahmad Akmal Mohd Idris says:

Salam,

I have a request nor an idea, it is better if you can add in a short form of SWT – subhanallah taala.

13. MENJ says:

Great effort! This reminds me of the “Islamic Praise” plugin from Usayd Networks:
    http://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/wiki/IslamicPraise Perhaps you could take a look at this plugin and incorporate any feature not already in this plugin from that one.

14. abu yusuf says:

How to use this shortcode in the wordpress post? ,barakallahu fiikum

15. Rashida Yasin says:

Please add for عليهم السلام

16. Umm Yusuf says:

Here’s another good one https://wordpress.org/plugins/islamic-phrases/

The one on the article didn’t work for me. I searched for another one and found this. Hope it helps someone.

17. abu nadia says:

I don’t know how to using it,,there is a plugin?