10 Requirements for Seeking Knowledge, from Surah ash-Shu’araa

962281_key.jpg1. Sincerity (al-Ikhlaas)

It may be that you (O Muhammad SAW) are going to kill yourself with grief, that they do not become believers [in your Risalah (Messengership) and in your Message of Islamic Monotheism]. (26:3)

2. Manners (al-Adab)

And when I am ill, it is He who cures me. (26:80)

3. Trust (al-Amanah)

Give full measure, and cause no loss (to others) (26:181)

Get more of our great articles.

4. Truthfulness (as-Sidq)

Fir’aun (Pharaoh) said: “Bring it forth then, if you are of the truthful!” (26:31)

5. Humbleness (al-Tawaadu’)

And be kind and humble to the believers who follow you. (26:215)

6. Trust and Reliance (al-Thiqah wa al-Tawakkul)

[Musa (Moses)] said: “Nay, verily! With me is my Lord, He will guide me.” (26:62)

And put your trust in the All-Mighty, the Most Merciful (26:217)

7. Worship (al-‘Ibaadah)

8. Remembrance (al-Dhikr)

Except those who believe, and do righteous deeds, and remember Allah much (26:227)

9. Acting Upon It (al-‘Amalu bihi)

And that they say what they do not do? Except those [poets] who believe and do righteous deeds and remember Allah often and defend [the Muslims] after they were wronged. And those who have wronged are going to know to what [kind of] return they will be returned. (26:226-227)

10. Specialization (al-Takhassus)

Do you not see that in every valley they roam (26:225)

Related Posts:

17 / View Comments

17 responses to “10 Requirements for Seeking Knowledge, from Surah ash-Shu’araa”

1. Atif says:

Assalamu’alaykum
    Is that a coincidence that today’s date is the 26th, and you’re quoting Surah #26 from the Qur’an?

2. Kaywan Salah says:

Al-salam

Masha Allah, muslim brothers and sisters. may Allah (swt) reward you for your good work and shower his mercy upon all the muslins in the world.

Wa-salam.

3. ibnabeeomar says:

wsalam..
    atif- pure coincidence
    kaywan – jazakallahukhayr

4. True Virtues says:

Jazakallahu Khair! That was short, sweet, and to the point!

5. ExEx Blogger says:

* Yawn * JK

Short & Concise. Nice

6. Nadia says:

Excellent points, especially since they’re all from Qur’an. And like others said, it’s concise and therefore easy to remember. Jazakallah khayr for posting!

7. Solomon2 says:

Ugh. These sound more like a recipe for getting brainwashed rather than learning. Where are doubt, experiment, logic, analysis, self-honesty, piety, memorization, practice, and skills for confronting yet respecting one’s teachers?

If you still don’t get it, think deeply and consider: what sort of doctor is the Muslim who subscribes to Surah’s list? An effective physician, or merely what Russians call a “faith healer” and others a “witch doctor”?

Since I know good Muslim doctors do exist, I think that if they consider Surah’s list at all, they dismiss as quickly as a puff of smoke: get it out of your lungs so you feel better, but never consider lighting up ever again.

8. ibnabeeomar says:

solomon – no need for the harshness. its some etiquettes for seeking religious knowledge not an exhaustive and exclusive list for anything and everything.. get a grip :)

9. Islamify.com says:

10 Requirements for Seeking Knowledge from Sura Shu’ara…

I love lists….

10. whatever says:

“Who sees you (O Muhammad SAW) when you stand up (alone at night for Tahajjud prayers).And your movements among those who fall prostrate (along with you to Allah in the five compulsory congregational prayers).(26:218-219)”

I pray the five prayers but with regard to the above ayats, which English translation is this from? I have never seen the number 5 in any English translations. just asking…….

11. ibnabeeomar says:

whatever – it is from the muhsin khan translation. the parenthetical portion is added explanation by the translation as to what is being referred to based on the tafseer of the ayah. a more literal translation would be,

Who sees you when you arise (218), And your movement among those who prostrate. (219)

12. whatever says:

Thank you ibnabeeomar. Do you know if this translation is available on the net for download or purchase? I would like to read and compare with what I have already read elsewhere.

13. ibnabeeomar says:

I pulled both of the above translations from this site:
    http://searchquran.net/ (Muhsin Khan and Saheeh International).

I have seen them in PDF in various places online but can’t recall where. here’s the purchase links though:

Muhsin Khan:

Saheeh International:

14. whatever says:

Thanks ibnabeeomar.

15. Solomon2 says:

Ah, I remember what I left out of my list! Integrity.

Why do I have to be the one to point these things out? Is the concept of integrity so alien to others at muslimmatters.org?

16. Abû Mûsâ Al-Ḥabashî says:

Integrity falls under a number of the above but most specifically number 1 and 9.

17. shiney says:

nice guidelines-thank you for posting them up