A Model of Anti-War Journalism

As Muslims we have a problem of getting over-emotional when discussing issues of politics, especially with those who disagree. I want to bring to light an example of journalism in this country that shows how to make an anti-war point in a calm and respectful way. It is in a way that we should learn because it teaches us how to deal with people who are quite pro-war in the west. The irony of all ironies is that this excellent example of journalism comes from a Jewish comedian.

The Daily Show (and Colbert Report) to me has seriously become the only beacon of ‘normal’ news in America. They seem to be the only ones who can see through the Nazi like hatred of other ‘journalists’ like Papa Bear.

The first video is with Stephen Hayes, a biographer of Dick Cheney. The second is a video with Bill Kristol, editor of the Weekly Standard. Both show excellent candor in interviewing, and expressing your point without getting overly emotional and giving in to their propaganda.

Get more of our great articles.
10 / View Comments

10 responses to “A Model of Anti-War Journalism”

1. ulma haryanto says:

yes agree.. the daily show has been my favorite as well :)

2. Hassan says:

I really liked this video as well, its from Colbert:

(link)

3. ibnabeeomar says:

hassan thats a good one

4. abu ameerah says:

@ ibnabeeomar

I agree. Even though the Colbert Report and the Daily show present the news — or at least something made to resemble news — with a great deal of humor … there ultimately seems to be a bit more honesty and candor from both then we might get from FOX Noise, for example.

5. Solomon2 says:

Are you sure this is a “Muslim” issue and not simply a cultural one, in the same way the normal distance between speakers is larger in America than in Europe and parts of the Middle East?

6. Amad says:

Solomon2, can you explain the distance thing you mentioned? I am not sure I quite get that.

I agree that it may not be a “Muslim” issue as much as cultural. Like for instance, even between the North and South in America… people tend to be louder and more animated in the North than the South.

I also think Pakistanis are the most emotional ppl when it comes to any politics, esp. Masjid politics. Or the politics of “halal food” (consider how judging Doritos to be halal is driving some Pakistani uncles nuts, esp. the “food scientists” who believe that “we-know-better-than-ulema”).

7. Solomon2 says:

You know, face-to-face conversational distance. A Spaniard or Frenchman may be “in your face” more than an American might. One could misinterpret such things as aggressive behavior, rather than normal assertiveness.

8. Amad says:

Interestingly, the first thing my boss told me when I moved up in the Northeast (of USA) from Texas is that what you may consider a heated argument back in the South is probably a casual discussion in the North…

9. Solomon2 says:

Yes, that’s the sort of thing I’m talking about.

10. ibnabeeomar says:

this isnt worthy of a whole post, but i thought itd be appropriate to add to the comments here:

its what ronald reagan put in his diary about W.