Islamic Art

Shiraz Uppal: A Journey from Soulful Pop to Soul-Searching

Shiraz Uppal

On February 22, 2012, famous singer, songwriter, musician, music producer and director Shiraz Uppal created waves in the Pakistani music scene by announcing he had quit the music industry. In a status update on his Facebook fan page , Uppal wrote:

On my way to uncover my destiny… Certainly not MUSIC… May Allah guide us all to the right… Blessed are those who opt for an alternative life, yet they are surrounded and tempted by opportunities…”

Uppal is not the first Pakistani musician to have left the industry for the sake of faith. A few years earlier Junaid Jamshed, another extremely well-known icon, announced his departure from popular music. The decision to quit a highly lucrative and glamorous career is certainly not one that is made overnight, nor is it an easy one. I had a great conversation with Shiraz on his decision, the path that brought him to it, and what his plans are for the future.

[DM] How did the change take place and what path did you take in making this decision?

[SU] It was a long journey. I had been in a different state of mind since Ramadan, having a feeling of discomfort, of not being satisfied. Alhamdulillah, I have a great family, my finances were great, but something seemed to be missing. I started praying 5 times a day. In the past I had always prayed, but it was always for a reason, usually in times of difficulty: someone was sick, I wanted a song I was releasing to be a hit, it was always prayer for stuff. Then I realized the real purpose of it. It was just for Allah. I started reading a translation of the Quran along with the Arabic. I installed an app on my iPhone for Ahadith and would read them before I went to bed. I started having very spiritual dreams and I saw the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) in one of my dreams. I asked Allah to ‘guide me to the path You have chosen for the good people’. And He guided me here; to quit music. I have my studio in the basement of my house, barely a few steps away from my sitting room. For the past four months I have not entered the studio. I was just not deriving pleasure from music anymore. And this is after over 20 years of playing music and 12 years of being in this industry. I just knew the answer was for me to quit.

I would like to thank you all for liking and enjoying my music… It was a Beautiful Journey but everything comes to an end one day… So I said Good Bye to my Musical Career by my own choice… I just wished and prayed to my Creator that how can i make u happy??? And He poured a light in my heart that opened my eyes and the path was lying clear in front of me… May Allah guide us all to the right… Amin

I kept thinking what would people say. I have a single-track mind. I can’t focus on multiple things. I just couldn’t get over that tussle in my heart and I decided this was it. I could not carry on anymore. It was the similar to when I graduated from the MBA program in 1997 and I wanted to decide whether to go into music or do a proper job. In 1998, my father, a retired air-force officer was working for a private aviation contractor, died in a helicopter crash going from Bahawalpur to Lahore. That incident helped me make up my mind and I started a job. However, my heart was always in music, so in 2000 I asked my mother and my wife permission to pursue music as a career. I needed three years from them in which I would not be contributing to the family income, at all. I just needed to prove myself and work hard towards what I wanted. Soon I started getting popular and soon I was well established in the business.

I have always considered A. R. Rehman my guru. I always admired how spiritual he was, despite being in an industry dominated by Hindus (Rahma is a convert to Islam). We are born Muslims, we have had religion handed down to us on a plate. We have read the Qur’an since childhood but never really understood it. A. R. Rehman keeps his prayer mat right next to his keyboard and is able to blend both his music and his religion without a problem. I had many talks with him on this subject. We would discuss our religion, dreams that we had, about balancing our music with our deen. I always used to tell myself  ‘if he doesn’t quit then why should I?'”

I had always been an average student in school, in my bachelors, and in the first semester of MBA I was put on probation due to my poor GPA. Then I met Aisha and I wanted to prove myself to her that I could get the grades and I was suitable for marriage. This got me motivated and I started getting A’s and B’s. Thus, if I set my mind to something I don’t rest until I achieve it. Thus, when I decided that I wanted to do something that was totally halal and there was no doubt in it, I knew that I had to quit.

[DM] What was the reaction of your family and fans to this decision?

[SU] Aisha, my wife, had a great reaction. She has always stood by me in my music but it was always her desire that I grow a beard and start practicing. I used to tell her, ‘I’ll leave music when I’m dead’. Then my eyes opened. Allah has given equal brains to all then why not use it in 1000 ways other than music. Even my son is very pleased with my decision.

My mother initially was a bit worried, she thinks I should have taken it slowly; she didn’t understand the need to just stop. She is a woman who regularly prays 5 times, so I convinced her that it was the right step. Now she agrees with me.

My fans have been very supportive and I have received so much encouragement from them on my Facebook page that I am very surprised. They were congratulating me on this step. My fans have increased in these past few days as I gained so many of those who never listened to my music but now want to support me in this decision.

[DM] What was the reaction from  your peers?

[SU] I got a negative reaction from most of my peers. Some of them cried when they heard the news. Others said why don’t you sing qawwalis or something, just please come back to music.  Many said you are making us look bad by quitting. I have no hard feelings against them . I am not an authority of whether it is halal or not. I am not passing judgment on anyone. This was my transition, my change, for my reasons. I am not criticizing anyone.

I regularly make dua for istikaamat, for firmness and steadfastness on my decision. In the Quran, Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) says that He created man weak. Indeed we can not do it without the help of Allah. Thus, I regularly make dua.

Some media people sarcastically remarked to me “You must have done a couple of trips to Raiwind already.” I told them I have never been to Raiwind. I am not affiliated with any group or sect. All I want to do now is to read the Quran and Ahadith, to follow the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him)‘s example. I did meet Shaykh Zulfiqar Naqshbandi four years back and took a sort of bait with him but he never asked me to quit music. I recently met him again and asked him why didn’t you ask me to quit. He replied that when I met you four years back I knew you had this desire in your heart so I made dua for you.

[DM] What’s next for Shiraz Uppal?

[SU] Well there is barakah in business. It was the Prophet’s ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) example to do trade. I have an MBA in marketing. I am sure I will come up with something with the guidance of Allah. He created us with a fixed rizq. I was earning through my music, now it will come to me through some other means. I just know that I never had any barakah in my earnings from music.

I am avoiding TV interviews for now. I really don’t want to offend anyone. I have universities and other groups calling me to speak about my experience and I will share my journey with them. I also intend to slowly learn more about religion. Right now I am in Class 1. I hope to learn more.

InshaAllah

Aly is an entrepreneur who was born and raised in Karachi, Pakistan where he currently resides. He has been associated with many diverse fields such as Textiles, Minerals & Ores, Feeds and Agri-Commodities. Known on Social Media as DiscoMaulvi, he serves in operational and advisory roles for several Islamic organizations such as LiveDeen, AlKauthar Karachi, Mercy Mission Pakistan, and Azãn. He is also a co-founder and trustee of Ihsaas Trust, a shariah-compliant finance provider for micro-entrepreneurs. Aly joined the team of MM in 2011 as a blogger/writer and is currently the Team Lead for the Comments Team and a former member of the Executive Shurah. He is easily accessible via Twitter or through his Public Page on Facebook where you can learn more about him. You can also visit his (mostly defunct) personal blog From The Pulpit ... Sermons of DiscoMaulvi and comment so he still feels like a Blogger. :)

Nihalk1

March 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Junaid Jamshed is to Pakistanis what Michael Jackson was to the west.

Ansaar

March 6, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Aaaalaaaa !!! Allah hu Akbar.

loved this bit : “I recently met him again and asked him why didn’t you ask me to quit. He
    replied that when I met you four years back I knew you had this desire
    in your heart so I made du‘ā’ for you.” !!

Sadaf

March 6, 2012 at 1:07 AM

What an inspiring post! May Allah grant this brother steadfastness and higher levels of taqwa. Ameen.
    Jazak Allah khair, DM, for the interview.

Aly Balagamwala | DiscoMaulvi

March 6, 2012 at 4:44 AM

Wa Iyyaki Sadaf.

Shauq-se

April 13, 2012 at 3:41 AM

Agree with you,steadfastness is necessary in futher on life because this is not any easy way to follow. Many hurldes will come in life and there need Taqwa and Iman-e-Kamal on Allah.
      May Allah Help him all the way Ameen.

4. Hena Z

Hena Z

March 6, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I met Shiraz when he was an MBA student in Lahore, through his wife Aisha and her twin sister. Last time I saw them was when he sang unplugged at our mutual friend Nosheen’s wedding. I never realized that he had become such a huge musician until this  news hit my facebook feed.
    Having been on this journey in my own way, I can relate and pray that Allah swt puts barakah and Supreme blessings in his new journey.

Mahmood M.

March 6, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Very inspiring. Wise to avoid the media, keep it personal. May Allah SWT grant the brother steadfastness and help us all with our individual struggles. Aameen.

Maryam

March 6, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Inspiring, subhanAllah :)

Maryam

March 6, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Also, Shiraz bhai, if you are reading this, i want you to know that i’m praying for you and your family. Also, please don’t go for the Nashbandi tariqah, they tell fairy tales, stick to the Sunnah inshaAllah, and keep making dua for yourslef. may Allah ta’ala bless you and you family with all good in both this world and the Hereafter ameen :)

Wellwishersd

March 6, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Asa, shaykh zulfiqar ahmad is a renowned scholar who follows the sunnah and shariat strictly, not every person who claims to be a naqshbandi is a quack. Before you pass a judgement on such a well respected scholar you should check how close to sunnah and Quran are their teachings and practices. Jkz take care.

Maryam

March 6, 2012 at 7:15 AM

walykum asalaam, jazakAllah khayr for this comment. I was following the tareeqah, if you listen to those lectures carefully, you’ll find out why i decided that the Sunnah was more important . May Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala bless you with all good in both this world and the next ameen.

Hamza Khan

March 10, 2012 at 4:04 AM

Assalamualaikum wr wb

Well said bro!!.. bt there r so many imposters out there tht ppl are nt able to diffrntiate..

Mohammed

March 14, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Please brother, don’t be a cheerleader and look into what is being said. Be very careful of who you call an imposter; very few of us can live the lifestyle of the Sunnah so we make shortcuts by criticizing those who do. Let us fear Allah.

Observer

March 14, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Sister, taking a guide to learn sunnah is the sunnah method. The knowledge of deen has to be learnt. I donot wish to offend you but just as a well wishing advice be cautious about what you say about a certain tariqa. A tariqa is wat you might call generation of scholars and saints. Begining from a sahabi in this case Hazrat Abu Bakar. So it is not a good idea to call a whole tariqa something that you might’ve concluded about certain individuals.
      wsalam

Uthman

March 6, 2012 at 4:08 AM

mashAllah mabrok

Uthman

March 6, 2012 at 4:10 AM

mashAllah mabrook brother Shiraz, may Allah keep you steadfast. A word of advice, stay away from the music makers now for they will try their best to bring you back. Remember you must change your company so they don’t drag you back. may Allah help you!

Aajangda

March 6, 2012 at 5:15 AM

JazakAllah Khair for sharing his inspiring story to us. Shaykh Zulfiqar Naqsbandi duas have changed lives of so many. Good to know one of them is Shiraz Uppal. May Allah swt give him and us all Istiqamat in deen and qabool our naqis efforts.

Farhat Tahir

March 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM

may Allah give you courage to stand firmly! I wish my pray accepted as when I look anybody doing against the way of Allah pray for his/her turning point! Congrats

Aqsa U.

March 6, 2012 at 9:45 AM

MashaAllah good for him! :)

Maryam

March 6, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Brother Aly Balagamwala | DiscoMaulvi,

Could you please tell me, what about his songs that are all over the internet? Although he has stopped creating music, the fitnah is intact right?
    The question is in reference to the quote in the Quran:
    “Verily We shall give life to the dead, and We record that which they send before and that which they leave behind, and of all things have We taken account in a clear Book (of evidence).” (Ya Seen, 36:12)”

Jazakallah Khair,

I applaud Shiraz Uppal for going against the grain…not many people have that fiber.

Hena Z

March 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Assalamalikum,

He says he is still learning about deen, he has just made this decision.  Alhamdulillah, our Rabb is the perfect Judge and accepts a Lover’s taubah. Lets give the brother, time and space and positive support.

Aly Balagamwala | DiscoMaulvi

March 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Sister Maryam

You are correct that his music will be all over the internet and there is nothing that he can do. However, if he repents and considers his past as being wrong then Allah is the Most Forgiving, the One who overlooks sins.

As-Sabiroon

March 13, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Assalamualikum warahmatulahi wabarakatuhu, just look at the ghafaara of Allah swt, not only He forgives those who truly repent, He swt also changes their sins into good deeds!..It’s just wonderful and motivating
        .” Except those who repent and believe, and do righteous deeds; for those, Allah will change their sins into good deeds, and Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. And whosoever repents and does righteous good deeds; then indeed he has repented to Allah Mataba.”( 25:70,71)

Aisha Binte Akram

March 9, 2012 at 10:56 AM

As-Salamu A’lykum ,

We are not required to quote any verse without knowing its context . In sha ALLAH. Please learn deen of ALLAH and especially learn Uloom ul Quran and Uloom ul Hadith In sha ALLAH you wil be cleared regarding quoting verses.

Maryam

March 14, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I have quoted in context, right?

Waqar Arshad Bhatti

March 6, 2012 at 10:01 AM

MASHA ALLAH. MAY ALLAH GUIDE HIM AND US TO “SIRAAT-E-MUSTAQIM”

Abu Yusuf

March 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Salaam Alaykum, this is a good interview. Never heard of the gentleman before but good to hear he left music. I was fascinated by his wife’s calling him towards abandoning music. A righteous wife really is a true treasure. I pray all Muslim men get women better committed to religion than themselves. There are some Muslim luminaries who loved music but abandoned it – Cat Stevens, Jamal Zarabozo, Bilaal Phillips, etc. Music really is an extremely difficult sin to give up – because the human body is biologically attuned to rhythm and harmony. Music can be captivating and hypnotic and release feel-good hormones in the body. What makes it even harder to give up is its widespread prevalence and ostensible harmlessness. It may be easier to give up womanizing, gambling, smoking, and a whole host of other peccadillos than music. Some may give it up but soon relapse. Perhaps the Islamic teachers on this website can give us some tips and tricks to abandon said sin.

Abdul Mateen

March 6, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I love hazrat peer zulfiqar ahmad naqshbandi — i read this news from forum of shaykh zulfiqar ahmad naqshbandi http://zulfiqarahmadnaqshbandi.com/  – i am very happy to read this news…

Yumna Arif

March 6, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Awesome. SubhanAllah!
    May Allah be his Helper, give him Istiqamat, and guide him and us to the Straight Path.

Yasmin

March 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Jazakallak khair for this very interesting and inspirational post!

Kjangda

March 7, 2012 at 12:58 AM

music is the mother of all evils. good shiraz u quit music and pls thank Allah for giving you the hidayat as most human beings and fellow muslims in zulmat and we need to go towards noor.

AnumSyed

March 7, 2012 at 3:43 AM

MashaALLAH,  may ALLAH az zujal shower him with all his blessings and make it easy for him to follow Quran and Sunnah, may ALLAH az zujal keep him in his protection, ameen. Ya Rabil alamin guide this my new brother in islam to Quran and Sunnah as Rasool ALLAH(peace be upon him), sahaba ikram and salaf wa saleheen did, ameen.The most beautiful and handsome man on the face of this earth is the one who follows ALLAH and Rasool ALLAH’s (peace be upon him), laws and orders, acts upon upon them and feels proud to look like a Muslim and act like a Muslim. may ALLAH az zujal keep you in his protection and shower you with his unlimited blessings, ameen.

Ibrarshah

March 7, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Dear Shiraz Uppal
       Good decision, and this will very very effective in your this and here after life. Soon u will find the brakah this act. Please keep contact with Hazrat gee (db) in future.

Best of luck
      ibrar shah

Nedo

March 7, 2012 at 7:54 AM

I am very much impressed by his views!
    May ALLAH guide us all to the right path. Ameen

Tarannum

March 7, 2012 at 8:59 PM

There used to be a very  good lecture on Music by Yasir Birjis I think. Can someone give me the link please.
      JAK

Imranarooj

March 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Masha Allah subhanAllah:)

umbudimary

March 9, 2012 at 12:51 AM

great news.

Mehreen Azhar

March 9, 2012 at 12:23 PM

MashaALLAH may ALLAH bless u Ameen

AzharA

March 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM

I appreciate SU’s decision and may he have a blessed life ahead. Everyone is free to lead one’s life the way one likes as long as it doesn’t look down upon others.

However, brothers and brothers from all the comments it transpires that all other muslim musicians are not on the right path and are going to be fuel for hell. This attitude of self-righteous muslims I don’t really like.

Only God can judge our actions.

Aly Balagamwala | DiscoMaulvi

March 13, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Dear @yahoo-JGT5KZHAXNOTULEHUEKAPI4PRQ:disqus

I agree with you that we should not be self-righteous and judge people. However, we can judge actions that are not Islamic.
      The debate on music halal or haram is an ongoing one and at the end it is upto each person to listen to the evidence and decide with Istikhara from Allah whether music is halal or not. A good lecture to listen to is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b51lRGlkq9U&feature=channel_video_title where a slightly different view point is presented. Just last night someone told me that they heard this and it completely changed the paradigm for them.

However, I definitely agree we should not judge people and leave it to Allah.

-Aly

Hina Roohi

March 12, 2012 at 10:07 AM

This a really good news after Sarah Choudhary’s story!
    May Allaah s.w.t. guide him and increase his iman
    [Ameen]

guest

March 13, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Mashallah. May Allah always keep you and all of us strong. May Allah reward you Jannatul firdos for you struggles and your efforts. Ameen

Maryam

March 14, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I’m sorry if my comment hurt anyone, that was not my intent. I never questioned, reasoned or verified anything that would come my way; therefore, i want to advise others not to follow anyone blindly. walykum asalaam.

rabs

March 15, 2012 at 2:18 AM

WOW! Mashallah! This is a huge step. May Allah grant you Istiqaamat. Ameen

Bilal Khan

March 18, 2012 at 7:55 AM

MashAllah, may Allah guide you to the right path. Remember, Shaytan will be after you so it’s better that you get suhbat of Waliullah. Shaykh Zulfiqar sb as you mentioned, be in his suhbat so that you are not led astray by Satan the cursed.
    Your heart will find itmenan brother.
    Allah ko khush karne ka maza hi aur hai!

Razi22

March 22, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Sheraz bhai how lucky you are. You had been blessed with the beauty of PROPHET in the dream. May ALLAH PAK bless you for the rest of your life.

Ameen

Ya Mole'via

November 26, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Aite, so Shiraz joins the ranks of ya maulviaz. Actually, till he can have the propensity to grow the full beard, and I pray he does, he is a “ya neem maulvia” category guy. Now, as far as Pir Zulfi is concerned, I was actually there in the bayan where Sheraz took his bait, it was in DHA lahore, main masjid.

*Comment Edited by Comments Team*

Aly Balagamwala | DiscoMaulvi

November 29, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Dear “Ya Mole’via”

Please note your comment has been edited to comply with our Comments Policy. If you have any substantial evidence of the statement that was edited please contact us at comments [at] muslimmatters [dot] org.

Also please note our comments policy can be found at http://muslimmatters.org/about/etiquettes-of-discussion-on-a-blog-comments-policy/ and you need to use a name of Kunyah and please refrain from using a fake email address when commenting.

JazakAllahu Khairin
      -Aly
      Comments Team Lead

Observer

March 14, 2013 at 12:15 AM

My very own Shaykh. He is brilliant.He says nothing yet makes an impact on you. Allah is with certain people and i have a firm belief Shaykh Zulfiqar is one of those. May Allah Tallah guide us all. The best thing is to be the change that you wish to see in the world. Part of what drew me to practising. Its in our hands. We are weak yet we can always always try. Lovely to read this .

Aaliya Chaudhry

October 23, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Well I just read his interview in tribune where he is justifying his return to music and how music is halal in Islam(because Saudi’s anthem has music too in it).

Featured Home

Stats not Stories: Problems with our Islamic History

Admit it. You’re bored by Islamic History. Sure, you might say that you find it fascinating, but the likelihood is that you are far more likely to be enamoured by the idea of what Islamic history should be like rather than the history itself.

How can I justify saying this? Well, lets take any other aspect of life that you are definitely not bored by. The latest Star Wars movie perhaps, Super Bowl 50 or all 7 Harry Potter books. Anything at all. Odds are that you can remember a lot about them in vivid detail. But if you’re asked the same thing about pretty much any aspect of Islamic history, the details are likely to be nowhere near as clear or captivating.

islamic history book

Outsold by the story of a wizard kid by a factor of a Million to 1

Relax. For once, it is not your fault.

Islamic history is the poor cousin of the Islamic sciences. It can often be poorly taught, poorly understood and even more poorly preserved. The blame for this partly falls on the shoulders of the Islamic historians themselves. Apart from some notable exceptions, many Islamic history books are dreary affairs over-filled with numbers, dates and exceptionally long names of individuals who sound very similar.

history quote

It is not that Islamic history itself is boring. On the contrary, I would make the case that no other history is as palpitation inducing, full of giddy highs and dramatic – seemingly bottomless – lows. However, even the most amazing thriller can go from awe to yawn if the main focus is on the factual details rather than the story itself.

explainafilmplotbadly

If the Dark Knight was described like your average text on Islamic history

In 2007 Deborah Small at the Wharton School of Business conducted an experiment to see how people would react to a charity campaign that was presented primarily using facts and figures as compared to the same campaign presented as a story. The outcome wasn’t even close. Stories trump stats every time. Or, as Stalin would say “The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic.” He should know. He was kind of an expert on the subject.

stalin

Hipster Stalin – now he’s taken things too far.

In fact, we don’t need to look to modern research to prove this. The Quran itself is full of stories and lessons, but short on details. How many animals made it on to the Ark? Where exactly did Khidr live? What was the name of the Pharoah that was the arch-nemesis of Musa 'alayhi'l-salām (peace be upon him)? The lack of facts and figures detracts nothing from the power of these stories and their ability to inspire and transform those hearing them.

Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) was explicit on this point when it came to the stories of the Companions of the Cave. Allah admonishes those who debate on the exact number of those in the cave saying “Now some say they were three and the fourth one is their dog and some will say they were five and the sixth one is their dog, guessing randomly at the unseen.” It is unfortunate that we don’t heed this lesson when it comes to how we teach our own Islamic history.

stat-stories-vs-statistics

From “Made to stick” by Chip and Dan Heath

Maya Angelou said ‘I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.’ If we want our Islamic history to be relevant and life-changing, we need to put away the facts and figures and bring out the monsters and legends.

Five Courageous Ways To Respond To Anti-Muslim Hatred

By

By Fatima Barkatulla

It was the day after the second Paris attack. Our local Muslim school sent parents a text-message telling them that security guards would flank the school gates the next day. Messages were flying around, complete with fuzzy CCTV footage of Muslim women who had been verbally or physically attacked in public places, in the climate of hatred and fear that seemed to hang like a cloud over us.

My sons, proudly wear traditional garments (thobe and white skullcap) when going to certain classes at the Mosque. It is the uniform for their Qur’an class. It’s of course not obligatory for them to wear it but they normally do. They were about to set out and catch a bus when a sense of dread came over me as I realised how vulnerable they looked and how so visibly ‘Muslim’. People had been fed a drip diet of negativity surrounding Islam and Muslims. The heinous crimes of some of our co-religionists, playing on 24-hour news channels had contributed to that climate. It would only take one angry person…

Muslim boys

In that moment I considered telling my sons to pop their jeans on instead, reserving their traditional garb for when they were safely inside the mosque. In that moment I was terrified at the power I wielded as a parent to influence their mindset with a word I might utter. And in that moment, I bit my tongue and decided to choose Tawakkul and empowerment and banish victimhood and fear.

There was no real danger. Most of our fellow citizens are not full of hatred. Most of them do know a Muslim well enough to know better. I believe much of the fear-mongering that goes on in Muslim circles, is manufactured and perpetuated by people continuously forwarding unconfirmed scare stories to one another (or perhaps people infiltrating our lists and groups, maliciously intending to spread panic).

In the aftermath of these attacks it’s important to continue living as you normally live day to day as much as possible and since my sons usually do wear these clothes to the mosque without issue, I didn’t want to introduce the idea of hiding being a Muslim to them.

It’s not about fanatically holding onto garments. Indeed if there is real and present danger we should take the precautions necessary and should not put our children at high risk. However, this was about the attitude we seek to instil in the next generation of Believers.

Over the Channel in France, with its aggressive secularism, it has become commonplace for many Muslims to hide their Islam. Britain’s Muslims, including my sons, are confident and very comfortable expressing our faith and culture, Alhamdulillah. This is home and we aren’t guests here. The vast majority of our compatriots are respectful towards us and, especially in the vibrant melting-pot that is London, we have grown up together, laughed, cried, learned and played together. We grew up being told to express our culture and be ourselves.

British Muslims

In the 80s racists used to abuse us for having a different skin colour – which we couldn’t hide. They would hurl insults at my mother for observing hijab. That overt racism is largely gone. But the point is this: Our parents didn’t persevere through the tough times that they faced, only for our generation to lie down as soon as we face some pressure!

By all means let us teach our children to take the normal precautions any child should. Teaching them the very powerful duas and supplications for going outside as well as the du’a when facing fear, and the du’a for resolve, were my first port of call.[1] But I refuse to instil cowardice in their hearts and will continue to teach them to hold their heads up high as Muslims in a world where their faith is misrepresented.

I see parenting as a calling. Children are the ultimate carriers of our values beyond our own short lives. Most of us still hear our mothers’ voices in our heads, giving us the occasion telling-off or reminding us to do the right thing. Most of us subconsciously ask ourselves what dad would have done. We may of course reassess some of those values, rejecting some and adapting others. However, a parent’s attitude and philosophy of life is no doubt a most powerful factor in setting a child’s direction in the world.

So how will I be teaching my children to respond to anti-Muslim hatred? What do I hope their attitude will be, growing up in 21st Century Britain?

The key messages I will be giving my children are:

First: Have faith in Allah’s subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) plan. Our tradition teaches us that everything, however difficult it may be for us to understand, happens for a reason and happens by the will of God. It teaches us that through Sabr – patiently persevering upon the straight path, through hard work and prayer, we will see the fruits of our efforts.

Second: Never be afraid to be different. Some of the greatest people in history went against the grain. They were immensely unpopular and often persecuted. In the end, their unwavering, patient, perseverance for justice shone through. We have an example of that in the great messengers of God such as Moses, Jesus and Muhammad, peace be upon them. And in recent times we have the likes of Gandhi, Nelson Mandela and Malcolm X – who fought injustice, were persecuted or killed for their cause, but morally triumphant as eventually the world caught up with them.

Third: Be politically engaged. Outrage at injustices around the world is natural. But how you allow that to manifest itself is pivotal. The Qur’an tells us that we must live up to being “the best people extracted for the sake of humanity.” The conditions for being amongst the best of people are that we must enjoin the good, beginning with ourselves and forbid what is wrong and have faith in God. Loving ones country means sometimes holding a mirror up to it and with wisdom, speaking truth to power.

Fourth: Be socially engaged. Contribute and give to society positively with all your heart and with all of your talents. Serve your neighbours, serve your fellow citizens. The Prophet Muhammad ﷺ would go the extra mile to reach out to people and fulfil their needs, to feed, to clothe, to share a burden. He never encouraged us to live in ghettos, happy with our own piety. Mixing with people, sharing, caring, giving, getting involved with the issues of society is his example and your duty.

Fifth: Seek deeper knowledge of scripture from traditional scholars who are also forward-thinking. The Qur’an has a context to it. Reading ones own interpretations into it willy nilly gives a warped understanding. We see the catastrophic effects of that in lands where injustice is being justified by ignorant Twitter and Facebook muftis interpreting revelation. Our tradition is rich, it gave birth to one of the greatest civilisations in history. Don’t be rash. Don’t be a hothead. The energy of youth needs to be tempered by the wisdom of scholars and elders. Our faith needs a generation of leaders who have depth of understanding and a wealth of wisdom in order to traverse the murky waters that may lay ahead. Be that generation.

[1] Some of the supplications can be found in du’a books and on the website: http://www.makedua.com/ . A couple of examples are:

بِسْمِ اللهِ ، تَوَكَّلْتُ عَلَى اللهِ وَلَا حَوْلَ وَلَا قُوَّةَ إِلَّا بِاللهِ

“In the name of Allah, I place my trust in Allah and there is no might nor power except with Allah.”

The Prophet ﷺ told us, when we say this, an angel will say: “you shall be defended, protected and guided”. (Abu Dawud)

And this wonderful du’a which every one of us should memorise! It is protection from facing ignorance or harm when going out! Make sure your kids have memorised it!

اللَّهُمَّ إني أَعُوذُ بِكَ أَنْ أَضِلَّ أَوْ أُضَلَّ ، أَوْ أَزِلَّ أَوْ أُزَلَّ ، أَوْ أَظْلِمَ أَوْ أُظْلَمَ ، أَوْ أَجْهَلَ أَوْ يُجْهَلَ عَلَيَّ

“O Allah, I seek refuge with You lest I should stray or be led astray, or slip (i.e. to commit a sin unintentionally) or be tripped, or oppress or be oppressed, or behave foolishly or be treated foolishly.” (Abu Dawud)

Fatima Barkatulla is a seminarian and award-winning Islamic lecturer. Follow her on FacebookA version of this article was published in The Times and Times Online on Saturday 9th April 2016

[1] ‘thaub’ is sometimes called a dishdasha (it is a long, dress-like garment worn by men in the Middle-East). ‘Thaub’ is the more commonly used name for it in the Muslim community.

Education

Science Not Art: Problems with our Islamic History

Let me introduce you to Hassan. He is an artist with an imagination that runs wild with more creativity in his little finger than most of us have in our whole lives. He spends his spare time in art galleries and exhibitions. He enjoys experimenting with different pantones to find the right shade of green for his latest artwork. So far, he’s your typical artist, except for the small fact that he’s a medical student.

Like many children of first generation immigrants, Hassan was prodded towards a stable career in healthcare rather than the decidedly less secure world of being an artist. His innate artistry is out of place in the sterile world of Medicine, but he accepts this trade-off for the security that a career in medicine brings.

The-Art-Science-of-Content-Marketing

Much like Hassan, I contend that Islamic history is art trapped in the world of sciences.

While Teddy Roosevelt wasn’t being busy leading the Rough Riders or being President, he made the same case for history in general. Every civilization and culture views history through a different lens. While the Europeans classically treated History as a category within literature and the Hindus as often indistinguishable from mythology – Muslims took an entirely different approach. When it comes to fields of Islamic studies, we tend to classify the most important as sciences. Tafsir, Ilm al hadeeth, Tajweed and Fiqh are all researched and taught with the same precision and accuracy as physics or maths. There is relatively little room for artistic license or experimentation.

science vs art

This is a strength especially when it comes to the studies that make up the bedrock of the faith and are used to decide the rules and regulations that govern it. However, problems arise when subjects that don’t naturally fit into the scientific category are reclassified as such. One such example is Islamic history. Our history has often been subjected to the same rigorous standards as those applied to other Islamic sciences. Anything that doesn’t meet the highest standards of verification and authentication can potentially be downplayed or treated as suspect.

This view of history was pioneered by none other than the father of historiography Ibn Khaldun, who was frustrated by the “uncritical acceptance of historical data.” It comes as no surprise to find out that Ibn Khaldun was a jurist before he found fame in later life as a historian. However, history is not merely data to be proven or interpreted in a narrow set of ways. History is the art of putting together bits of information from the past and weaving together a narrative that gives us an insight into the motivations and actions of those that preceded us.

quiz art vs science

Translation: Artists tend to see boats first, scientists tend to see arches.

For instance, History as science will tell us that the Moghul Empire finally collapsed due to a range of socio-economic factors afflicting the corrupt Moghul state combined with the overwhelming military superiority of the British. While that may technically be accurate, History as art would explain the fall as a perfect storm of threats compounded by the tragic but unexpected outcome of an aging Emperor’s affections for his ambitious and treacherous young wife Zeenat Mahal. The former view is based on empirical evidence but wholly uninspiring and devoid of the human touch, while the latter is pieced together based on some facts, some extrapolations and based on the characters of the personalities involved.

zeenat mahal

Worth sinking an Empire over?

Skeptics from the scientific school of thought will read the above and fear that this is a call to legitimise superstition and fairytales. It is not. The reality is that the majority of our history, or any history for that matter, will fail to pass the benchmarks that we must necessarily use for our sciences. The result of this is that there are swathes of our history that are simply looked upon as second class and therefore not prominent.

Maria Konnikova argued the same point cogently in Scientific American. There needs to be a paradigm shift in how we see and classify Islamic history. Islamic historians should feel comfortable in the freedom to discuss and teach aspects of our history that may not be 100% verifiable, but that fit within the broad construct of our traditions. We need to explore and cultivate the vast fertile expanses between irrefutable evidence based facts and pure fiction. Should we do so, we will reap a rich harvest of engaged and inspired Muslims who can take lessons and inspiration from our past and use it to guide our future. That’s hopefully something that even the most dedicated scientist would find it difficult to argue against.