Photography

Sunnah of the Dhab Lizard Delicacy

Omar Usman

‘Abdullah b. ‘Abbas reported: I and Khalid b. Walid went to the apartment of Maimuna along with Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him), and there was presented to him a roasted lizard. Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) stretched his hand towards It, whereupon some of the women who had been in the house of Maimuna said: Inform Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) what he intends to eat. Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) lifted his hand. I said: Messenger of Allah, Is it forbidden? He said: No. It is not found in the land of my people, and I feel that I have no liking for it. Khalid said: I then chewed and ate it, while, Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) was looking (at me).

Which deeds are most beloved to Allah?

Alhamdulillah, by the blessings of Allah (swt) and readers like yourself, MuslimMatters has been an independent platform for our best thought leaders to educate us in our faith and catalyze change through powerful, necessary conversations. Since our humble beginnings as a basic wordpress blog in 2007, our content has remained free.

The Prophet (SAW) has taught us the best of deeds are those that done consistently, even if they are small. Click here to support us with a monthly donation of $10 per month, or even as little as $1. Set it and collect blessings from Allah (swt) for the khayr you're supporting without thinking about it.

This hadith came up when I took the AlMaghrib Code Evolved class in regards to things that the Prophet (saw) may have personally disliked, but they were still permissible.

But what really interested me, and many others, was to see what exactly this lizard looked like. In English its commonly referred to as the Spiny Tail Lizard (uromastyx microlepis). Apparently it is still a delicacy in some places in the Middle East. I have put some pictures below of what the lizard looks like and some “tasty” ways its served up.

Has anyone ever tasted it??

I should add here that I haven’t tried it, and I don’t think I will. Please read the comments below regarding the Sunnah of dealing with food you don’t like :)

See the meal in action here (Pictures of only some of the dishes are below).

dhab_7.jpg

dhub_003_12.jpg

flatdhub1cmp.JPG

t1.jpg

7447a30fc736d4b80d166704505f15f7.jpg

efa85db7d1b7ce53abfd5c8f9995bbc7.jpg

Omar Usman is a founding member of MuslimMatters and Qalam Institute. He teaches Islamic seminars across the US including Khateeb Workshop and Fiqh of Social Media. He has served in varying administrative capacities for multiple national and local Islamic organizations. You can follow his work at ibnabeeomar.com.

aarij

July 10, 2008 at 12:31 AM

Even though it’s halal, it looks disgusting.

I’ll stick with the chicken karahi and beef niharis, thank you very much.

Ibn Masood

July 10, 2008 at 1:13 AM

Wow…. I actually want to try that…

Sharif

July 10, 2008 at 1:39 AM

Ewww…

Ibnkhalil

July 10, 2008 at 2:01 AM

SubhanAllah! What’s there not to like. I would try this any time.

ExEx Blogger

July 10, 2008 at 2:04 AM

Alhamdulillah, I had the blessing of trying this Prophetic tacit approval.

A few points:

1. A proper cook is required in making the meat tasty and juicy. A good dish would be lizard salon with potatoes and and fried tomatoes and onions and some parsley.
    2. Surprisingly, it tastes 100% like chicken. The meat color looks like chicken except the bones are a bit thin and the rib bones resemble more like fish bones but not too sharp.
    3. No weird smells or taste or after taste.
    4. Many of the ignorant fools that mock it and say that it looks disgusting find themselves loving it after eating it without knowledge and loving every bit of it.

P.S. Come to my house and you never know what I cook for you!!!

Syed Zafir Momin

June 23, 2010 at 8:42 AM

u gotta send me the recipe ! or any good restaraunt in Riyadh which serve…..i always wanted to try it !

Mohammad AlOthainah

September 13, 2014 at 6:19 AM

Dubb with rice
        1) preparing the dubbs:
        – after the slaughter, open the belly for gutting with a sharp knife & be carful not to cut the stomach (it’s very stinky due to fermented plants) throw everything except the belly fat.
        you can heat the fat on a spoon & collect the oil to use it as a traditional remedy arthritis or joint pains.
        -wash it with cold water and remove the black-greenish membrane inside by scrapping it, this is important as it can leave a foul after taste!
        -cut the head and hands & throw them.
        – divid the carcass by cutting it in 3 parts;
        The tail.
        The body in to two.
        2) Cooking:
        – in a large saucepan, fry onion & garlic to brown.
        -add black pepper, all spices or curry powder & bay leaves.
        -add dubb meat & cook.
        -add water.
        -cook for 1:45 to 3 hours.
        -add diced vegetables like potatoes , carrots & if you like, bell peppers, pumpkin & zucchini.
        – cook until the vegetables start to soft, then remove dubb meat.
        – rice to the stew and cook.
        -when the rice is almost done add dubb meat on top of it & cook until the rice done!
        P.S. You can eat the stew without adding rice , with bread.
        Hop to be helpful :)

wali

August 9, 2010 at 4:39 PM

can u bbq it?

Mohammad AlOthainah

September 13, 2014 at 4:54 AM

Yes it’s tasty and have a delicate taste … But more like a lean duck than a chicken!

abdul

January 13, 2015 at 8:35 AM

please can u tell me in which restaurent can found this dish in riyadh.

islam blog

July 10, 2008 at 2:04 AM

I wouldn’t mind tasting it.

h

July 10, 2008 at 6:34 AM

Why does everything seem to taste like ‘chicken’? :p
    Cockroaches… Spiders… Lizards….

MR

July 10, 2008 at 9:45 AM

Can I come to your house ExExBlogger?

Lamb is still #1!

Mezba

July 10, 2008 at 9:52 AM

I’d rather eat octopus.

Hidaya

July 10, 2008 at 10:22 AM

Yuck! I am so not open-minded when it comes to food..I’ll stick with my Biryaani = )

Hassan

July 10, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Subhan-Allah, this hadith also shows something about Khalid Bin Waleed (RA), Although he was from Makkah and Quraish, but Allah meant him to be soldier, warrior and general, so he was not picky about food…

I have never eaten it, but I saw my neighbors when I was in Saudi holding it with rope attached to its tail.

Seeker7

July 10, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Just a reminder, we shouldn’t criticize the food because it is still food, and as I remember shaykh Abdulbary said in Chain of Command that the Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam would never complain about a food, but if he didn’t like it, he would leave it. So let’s not say things about dhab. Do it like the Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam: “it’s not the food of my people” :)

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam never found fault with food. If he had inclination to eating it, he would eat; and if he disliked it, he would leave it.
    Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary of Imam Nawawi: This Hadith throws light on the Prophet’s excellent manners which ought to be followed by all Muslims. It is a deplorable state of affairs that when we find a dish a bit unsavoury, we lose our temper and create quite a scene in the house. May we follow the excellent example of our Prophet! !

Aslam

January 31, 2016 at 1:12 AM

You say right dear if Muhammad p.b.u.h leave any thing that’s means leave every muslim leave that thing

FearAllah

July 10, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Interesting post! (and interesting comments :P)
    I especially like your comment Seeker7….thanks for the adaab tips!

Aminah Muhammad

July 10, 2008 at 11:35 AM

mmmmmmmmmmmmm it looks yummy….. As long as I don’t know what it is, I wouldn’t mind eating it. I once ate brain sandwich which tasted like scrambled eggs masha’Allah…. You guys should try it.

Abu Yusuf

July 10, 2008 at 11:35 AM

One thing about the Dabb is that it still ‘moves’ after its dead

Also youtube has some videos of how Dabbs are captured – do a search of them if you’re interested.

TheKHAI

February 16, 2011 at 9:46 AM

its probably the muscle that moves…

16. ibnabeeomar

ibnabeeomar

July 10, 2008 at 11:46 AM

seeker7 – excellent reminder, jazakallahu khayr

Ali Colak

July 10, 2008 at 12:44 PM

I’d love to try it. Can you find it cooked anywhere outside the middle east?

Ali

18. Amad

Amad

July 10, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Talking about brain (the hardest one to “swallow” in my eating history).. I took a Lebanese friend and a Columbian friend to a desi cookery, and ordered a cow-brain dish. Didn’t tell them until they had finished their meal what they ate. Both thought for a moment and then remarked, “thanks for not telling us, otherwise we would have not touched this delicious stuff”.

But I just can’t make myself eat this… so dabs have one less human enemy to worry about :)

TheKHAI

February 16, 2011 at 9:51 AM

during my childhood i loves to eat cow brains. so creamy. but now no more. too much cholesterol, plus when thinking that its a brain….

Student

July 10, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Assalaamu alaykum,

Jazakallahu Khairan for the post. Just a reminder, please refrain from referring to this type of food (or any halal food) as “disgusting.” Remember that it was this very type of food where the Prophet (saw) just left it and did not make any comments about it, as you reminded us in the hadith. One of the benefits that we derive from the hadith you quoted for us is to not complain about food that we do not like. Wallahu A’lam.

yasmeen

July 10, 2008 at 1:36 PM

jazakallahu khair for this post inshaallah i
    would like to taste it once

Siraaj

July 10, 2008 at 2:32 PM

2. Surprisingly, it tastes 100% like chicken.

Maybe the chicken tastes 100% like the lizard?

Siraaj

TheKHAI

February 16, 2011 at 9:56 AM

lol…. :P

22. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse

July 10, 2008 at 4:06 PM

I’d probably eat it if it was cooked in such a way that it looked REALLY appetizing. And it has to smell good, too. I’m a picky eater :)

Aalia

July 10, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Hmmm… interesting!

JazakAllahuKhayran for the adaab reminders, too! Sometimes I forget these little reminders.

Seeker7

July 10, 2008 at 7:14 PM

btw, I was always curious to know what dhab was. I’ve heard about it and read about it but didn’t know the English equivalent, now I know!!

There are are a lot of foods referred too in ahadeeth that are not really known to the English world…I can think of one:: /wiki/Colocynth”>colocynth which is what the Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam compared the hypocrite that doesn’t read the Qur’an too. (Shaykh Yaser Birjas told us a story that as punishment for naughty children when he was in school, they would wipe a piece of this fruit on their tongues and the boys would start licking dirt off the ground to get the taste out of their mouth!)

iMuslim

July 10, 2008 at 8:30 PM

I am a very picky eater, but at the same time, lizard doesn’t seem as bad as other things people are known to eat, such as locusts, snails and frog’s legs!

Btw, does anyone have a link to a ‘haraam’ list of animals we aren’t allowed to eat? I thought it was quite simple, but apparently there are some mentioned in the Sunnah that I am not fully aware of.

26. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse

July 10, 2008 at 9:49 PM

Fiqh of food is actually kinda complicated… I remember my dad doing a series on ‘haraam’ animals to eat, and I was totally confuzzled after a bit…

Harun

July 10, 2008 at 10:30 PM

In many cases there is ikhtilaaf between the madhaahib on whether the animal is halal or haram. For instance, eating the snake is prohibited in the hanbali and shafi’i madhhabs but the maliki madhhab regard it as permissible.

IbnAbbas

July 10, 2008 at 10:56 PM

that doesn’t look very nice but im still gona try it oneday inshallah coz after all our greatest mujahid “Khalid bin Waleed” radhiAllahu a’nhu has eaten it. shouldnt I? : )

Yusuf

July 10, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Subhanallah. Even if the food was as strange as the dhab, the prophet did not complain. Jazkah allah khair for the reminder.

It does seem disgusting to many of us but think about how people eat brains, tongues, intestines, feet, eyes, and even the head of lamb or cow!

Ibrahim

July 10, 2008 at 11:36 PM

But, today people also would not let you act on the sunnah. If you don’t like something and you excuse yourself from eating it, they will be on you to try it, try little bit of it, just take one bite, etc, etc. Then, you have to come out and say I don’t like this…it looks weird, blah, blah and then they leave you.

Aminah Muhammad

July 11, 2008 at 12:32 AM

My aunt whom I use to live always ate lamb head. That was what she ate every wknd. As young kids we always thought it was nasty to eat head but one day she made us some bain sandwich and we all loved it… We didn’t know what it was though.

I am not sure if we would’ve ate it if we knew it was a brain…. BUt it was yummy AND WOULDN’T MIND EATING IT AS LONG AS I DON’T KNOW WHAT IT IS.

The dhab looks little scary but I wouldn’t mind eating it if I was given the chance to eat it…. Next time I visit my aunt in the Middle East I’ll make sure to try it…..

Ibn Masood

July 11, 2008 at 2:00 AM

If anyone here eats hotdogs they should have no problem eating this LOL.

Nihal Khan

July 11, 2008 at 6:20 AM

im sticking to chicken makhni

Mezba

July 11, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Can anyone tell me if frogs are halal?

PD

July 11, 2008 at 12:59 PM

They serve up lizard outside of Jame Masjid in Delhi. I would never eat it but to each his own.

J

July 11, 2008 at 1:26 PM

One of a kind article, but it is wrong to call something that is merely permissible (like this) a Sunnah. If that is the case that everything becomes a sunnah, and nothing remains distinguished by the virtue of the prophet having done it.

37. ibnabeeomar

ibnabeeomar

July 11, 2008 at 1:37 PM

J – sorry for any confusion, i meant sunnah in the sense that the dhab is something that is narrated in hadith (which i think is one of the definitions some scholars use for sunnah sometimes). in any case i didnt mean anything in regards to its ruling, jazakallahu khayr for clarifying.

J

July 11, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Mezba,

Frogs are not permissible. Imam Malik narrates in the Muwatta the hadith “Do not kill frogs; their croaking is tasbih.”

39. Amad

Amad

July 11, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Good point J. We don’t want a run-on on dab supplies :)

Dab shawarma anyone??

Btw, calamari (fried squid) is another one that I assumed for some odd reason “couldn’t have been halal”… But everything from the water is alhamdulilah. And calamari, craw-fish (“mud-bugs”), and even octopus all taste great!! Don’t let the creepy looks deceive you!

Ammar Diwan

July 11, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Calamari is good if it’s fried, but it isn’t always fried. I’ve had boiled calamari and it tasted weird. It was too chewy, almost like a piece of rubber.

Naseer

July 12, 2008 at 8:46 PM

Amad,

Thats a very evil thing to do.

“Talking about brain (the hardest one to “swallow” in my eating history).. I took a Lebanese friend and a Columbian friend to a desi cookery, and ordered a cow-brain dish. Didn’t tell them until they had finished their meal what they ate.”

Abū Ilyās

July 13, 2008 at 4:00 AM

The way that I’ve heard some here catch the dhab is they go out into the desert and find the animal’s hole, they stick a pipe into it and connect the other end to their exhaust pipe and subsequently run their engine until a stunned animal limbers out of a hole nearby.

Not sure how it tastes when it’s full of carbon monoxide!

Abu Kareem

July 13, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Aren’t lizards carnivores? I thought they eat mice.

MusilmahBloggerer

July 16, 2008 at 5:25 AM

iMuslim: From the Sunnah we know we’re not supposed to eat donkey’s meat (although we’re allowed to eat zebra!) and anything from the sea is also completely halal.I would be very surprised if there wasn’t a list detailing many of the haram animals. We covered this topic in the Purification Act (AlMaghrib Seminar) and it really was very interesting.

Muadh Khan

July 21, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Asslamo Allaikum,

All my Saudi friends always insisted on me to eat this stuff but I was like, “Thanks but no Thanks” :)

ahmed

August 10, 2008 at 10:57 PM

Are lizards haraam to keep as pets?

Kishwar Sheikh

August 20, 2008 at 5:28 AM

assalam o alaikum

my question is to the author as i want my doubt to be clarified. i have read that if a muslim “hates or dislikes” what the prophet was sent with (that may even be his sunnah) then that person is a kaafir. Now, there are somethings in religion we are not comfortable with, one example is this, and another for a woman is if her husband wants to marry again, so what can u say about such an attitide. does it, naoozubillah put us outside the fold of islam???

please answer.

thanks
    Kishwar Shahbaz

48. Pingback: Search Query Sunday, 31st Edition

Abu Sultan

April 20, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Al7amdulillah i have tried it twice when residing in saudia arabia.
    it DOES taste like chicken and yet with the bones like a fish… but it IS tasty. it might look disgusting but its worth a try.

Rishaad

June 1, 2009 at 2:02 AM

I also believed that muslims are not allowed to eat carnivores. These lizzards eat other animals too like rats, mice and insects. Our Nabi himself did not eat the meat of the animal even though he overlooked someone else consuming it. It is sad that these animals are being taken from the wild in such large numbers and very soon there might not be any left in the wild. There are so many animals that Allah has made clearly permissable for us to consume and I dont feel this is neccessary just because people regard it as a delicasy.

Jawad Bukhari

October 7, 2009 at 10:44 AM

i much agree with your points Rishaad …

Jawad Bukhari

October 7, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Well i have also found a hadith in Abu Dawood (021:3787) narrated by AbdruRehman Ibn Shibl “The apostle of Allah (pbuh) forbade to eat the flesh of lizard.

Can anyone put light on this too?

Jawad Bukhari

October 7, 2009 at 1:01 PM

you will find two more hadiths

Abu Dawood….. Book 021, Hadith Number 3809.
    Narated By Abdullah ibn Umar : The Prophet (pbuh) said: I wish I had a white loaf made from tawny and softened with clarified butter and milk. A man from among the people got up and getting one brought it. He asked: In which had it been? He replied: In a lizard skin. He said: Take it away.

Abu Dawood….. Book 021, Hadith Number 3786.
    Narated By Thabit ibn Wadi’ah : We were in an army with the Apostle of Allah (pbuh). We got some lizards. I roasted one lizard and brought it to the Apostle of Allah (pbuh) and placed it before him. He took a stick and counted its fingers. He then said: A group from the children of Isra’il was transformed into an animal of the land, and I do not know which animal it was. He did not eat it nor did he forbid (its eating).

I was just wondering… has this anything to do with war times???
    as we know that a number of things become permissible during war which otherwise are not. Also, does anyone know of a tradition that shows Muslim eating Dab or lizard during or after the time of our first Caliphs? We know that a couple of things were interpreted/implemented that one would not otherwise find in books of traditions.

53. Pingback: SANDA OIL : THE LEGEND OF ARABIAN OIL « KLINIK PASUTRI

54. Pingback: SANDA OIL : THE LEGEND OF ARABIAN OIL « TOKO OBAT ISLAM

55. Pingback: SANDA OIL : THE LEGEND OF ARABIAN OIL « OBAT KUAT HERBAL

Wali

May 25, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Inshallah, when I go for Haj i would like to try it, do they bbq it?

Jawad

September 15, 2010 at 1:45 PM

How would you take this hadith?

Sheikh Mohammad Taimur

December 6, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Brother Jawad.

Based on my little knowledge, the hadith you mentioned of forbading is only hadith which is found in Sunan Abu Dawood but no where else.

In fact if you will lookup Bukhari, Muslim, Imam Malik’s Muwatta, you will find numerous ahadith saying, Rasool Allah sallahu alayhi wa aalehi wassalam said [meaning in context], “it is not found in my land, thus I do not like eating it but I do not forbade it”.

Thus, it is not Haram but Rasool Allah (saw) did not ate it. However, according to Hanafi Fiqh (as per one scholar) it is Makruh Tanzih (i.e. Mubah or minor disliked, that is closer to being lawful rather than unlawful).

“Khaalid ibn al-Waleed reported that some grilled lizard meat was brought to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and put in front of him. He stretched out his hand to take some, but one of the people present said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, it is lizard meat,’ so he pulled his hand back. Khaalid ibn al-Waleed asked, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, is lizard haraam?’ He said, ‘No, but it is not known among my people and I cannot face eating it.’ So Khaalid took some of the lizard meat and ate it, whilst the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) looked on.”

(Reported by al-Bukhaari, 4981, al-Nisaa’i, 4242, and Abu Dawood, 3300).

According to Shaykh Munajjid Al Salih, above hadith is clear to see that Rasool Allah did not forbade lizard, even though he did not ate it on different occasions.

This is based on what I know.

Wallahu ta’ala alim bis-sawab.

Mohammad Mobin

August 8, 2013 at 3:39 AM

I don’t understand that why Muslims always try to find some excuse when we wanna try something which is not permitted or not mentioned in quran or hadees clearly? Whan has created million tons of cows, goats, sheep, chicken, vegetables, fruits, and so many appealing things then why the hell we need to try these kinda disgusting looking things ? The rule is simple .. “When Mohammad PBUH didn’t like anything, and didn’t comment about that” just leave that thing and don’t do it, don’t we have brains to see the signs, signals and gestures of Mohammad PBUH? that he lifted his hand up and refused to eat that creepy thing ? come on people .. someone was saying he “SubhanAllah and Alhamdollaih that I have tried that or i will try that .. ok very cool, so why don’t you guys say Alhamdollah and SubhanAllah and start eating snakes, rats, insects and pork ? aren’t they creation of Allah as well ? why don’t we eat it then ? that’s a open hypocrisy and i know what i’m talking about.

It’s is clearly said in Qur’an that Muslims are only allow to eat those animals (4 feet only) which are mammals and doesn’t hunt for meat like lion, cheetah and which doesn’t have claws. it is also mention clearly that the animal feet is suppose to have a cut on their feet like cow, goat etc but not like donkey or zebra. about the birds, we are only allowed to eat those birds which picks the food floor the ground like chicken, turkey, pigeon etc but not the birds like Hawk, crow or vultures ..

The important thing is that any kind of animals which “CRAWLS” is haram … any kind of creature which is a reptile or amphibian is Haram .!! simple and easy rule!

Aly Balagamwala | DiscoMaulvi

August 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Dear Mobin

Your comment is hard to understand. There is a clear authentic hadith that is written on the onset of this article that shows it is halal. Why then would you declare it haram?

Jawad Bukhari

April 19, 2016 at 10:48 AM

Brother, the single hadith forbidding in Abi Dawud is graded “Hasan”. So the only way left is to reconcile between the two sets of hadith (where the other one clearly shows Prophet (saw)’s dislike) is that the hadith of Abi Dawud came later on and had it been narrated earlier on then nobody would have cooked, served or eaten the animal.

abira

September 13, 2010 at 8:54 AM

honestly…………….
    it wz bttr to remain unaware!…

Asad

September 15, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Permissible or not… for what reason do you call it Sunnah?

me

July 18, 2016 at 9:18 PM

This is the important question

TheKHAI

February 16, 2011 at 9:37 AM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This reminds me about the case in Sarawak, a state in Malaysia. Peoples there (not all) eats larvae of a species of beetle that are found in Sago tree (the tree’s rotten trunk especially). Sometimes you can find these larvae sold in the wet market there.

Local ulama say that it is Halal, but doesn’t comply with the manners of a Muslim.

Islam Blog

February 28, 2011 at 12:13 AM

I do not like to taste it, I don’t care it’s halal or not. It looks very disgusting and horrible. Yeak

hafizah

April 9, 2011 at 9:24 AM

astaghfirrullah…euuu what’s tis coz i never ate dhab
    hope i never eat it…so weird!

Rscruz72

February 13, 2012 at 3:07 PM

not a muslim but tried this when i used to travel and work for Amir bandar bin abdullaziz al-saud.
    it is actually tasty, just have an open mind to things, it is a bedouin delicacy, as you all know, there isnt much food to come by in the desert.

ShoNoXS

May 16, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Absolutely. You have to put yourself in the shoes of the desert dweller. There isn’t much to eat in that landscape. It’s not haram so people should just let it be.

Aslam

October 30, 2012 at 5:30 AM

I am a Muslim and being a Muslim I think above article and its reference is not looks true

Abdul Samad

October 30, 2012 at 5:34 AM

yes Aslam I agree with you, this is something I cant eat, for sure

Zeezebo

November 10, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Even looking at it alone is discusting. I will never eat any reptile at all. Lamp, beef, chicken, turkey, and fish are just more than enough for me.

Moosa

April 16, 2014 at 7:13 AM

the thing is that it is makruh which means disliked but not forbidden. so stop calling it disgusting. it is a creation of Allah and calling it disgusting and sick is a clear sign of hypocricy. plus to those who say that the ahadis (also reffered to as sunnah of the prophey saw) is wrong than my friends that shows clear ignorance. the holy prophet didnt eat it which shows that it is better not to eat it but he also allowed others to eat it which shows that you can eat it if you want to.

*Name has been changed to comply to our Comments Policy*

ZAI

May 16, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Is the lizard an omnivore?
    I ask because I was under the impression we cannot eat carnivores and scavengers, so
    I have always wondered about this. Is this the only reptile allowed or others as well?

I agree w/ some of the commentators who said it shouldn’t be called disgusting tho.
    That is someone’s food and they might like it. For the people who said so
    and said they preferred their Biriyanis, etc. how would you feel if someone
    insulted South Asian food?

rama

May 6, 2015 at 4:48 AM

even fish are carnivores… but is halaal

zawar shah

June 13, 2014 at 3:49 AM

My name is Zawar Shah im from pak……………… i think lizard is very bad tast

Shah

June 5, 2015 at 5:36 AM

First of all, it is important to know the exact and complete reference of Hadith, because if it is a weak Hadith, then it is controversial to accept as well to eat, otherwise acceptable.

Haroon

May 15, 2016 at 3:38 PM

I can’t eat it. Reason there to Beautiful they remind me of too much of the bearded dragons. My standards are if it looks cute. Then I do not eat it.

bandu

July 11, 2016 at 8:16 PM

I request you to reply. I actually need sanda oil for my mother pain. Please refer me how to get that. If you have so please send me to this adress. H-no: 1-10-5/7,shashab gutta , mahabub nagar (dist), telangana state, India

Mahmood

September 13, 2016 at 2:18 AM

I also need it for knee pain is their any place in Dubai I can buy this Sandha oil.

*This comment was edited by the MM Comments Team in order to comply with our Comments Policy*

bandu

July 11, 2016 at 8:18 PM

Contact num: 8519979866

SUHAYB

August 7, 2016 at 8:19 PM

U can get it in delhi

Ahmad Wahid

October 14, 2016 at 9:06 AM

Pork is more delicious. Needs to be halaled for muslim consumption.
    Many muslims in Sordid Arabia secretly eat non-halaled pork imported
    from Iraq.

Self-Revelations: Discovering Your Limits in India | The Motherland: Part II

Which deeds are most beloved to Allah?

(Updated)

Prelude | Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI | Part VII

The “The Motherland” series will go over the benefits and challenges of studying Islam overseas in India, institutions of learning there in, and Nihal Khan’s journey of studying at Nadwatul ‘Ulama in the 2014-2015 academic calendar year. The subsequent articles in this series will detail his experiences and reflections from his travels and studies in India.

. . .

Knowing Your Limits

As soon as I situated myself in Lucknow, I began discovering my physical, emotional, and psychological limits. Experiencing the bitter cold winters of Lucknow and her brutal summers really showed me how my body adjusted without a heater or air conditioner in each season respectively. I also unfortunately encountered the Indian health care system much sooner than I had expected.

Rae Baraily (not to be confused with Baraily): The hometown and resting place of Shaykh Abul Hasan ‘Ali al-Nadwi, the great writer and last rector of Nadwatul ‘Ulama.

rae

Physical

In my first three months in Lucknow, I lost between twenty-five to thirty pounds (11-13 kg) from just adjusting to the food, water, and weather. Americans are bound to lose weight simply by the nature of how people eat in India. Portions are smaller, organic food is more abundant. Oh, and not to mention the water. As soon as I settled into Nadwa (the shorter name for Nadwatul ‘Ulama), I started to drink the tap water of India. I had the typical daily (okay, twice) diarrhea for about three weeks, until one morning I woke up and threw up like I have never thrown up in my life. I felt my stomach was going to come out of my throat.

After that I was in bed for a week or so. But finally after recovering, drinking water from the tap became very easy for me–as did eating street food. As one of my friends said, “You now have a stomach of steel.” I knew I was going to be in India for a long time and decided that it would be most convenient to start getting used to living as others do over there. Getting bottled water was just too complicated after seeing ‘cold taps’ available for drinking right next to your hostel.

The food situation was also quite tricky. After several failed attempts at having food delivered to me from outside tiffin services, I gave up and starting eating out for almost every meal. That became taxing as temperatures were increasing and the cost of meals was adding up. I successfully started eating food from the madrasa cafeteria which happened to taste quite pleasant. I received rice, bread, and lentils twice a day with a different curry dish each time. I still go out, usually once a day, to a local cafe just to unwind and get some comfort food. I spend a decent amount of time studying and eating at the Tramp Tree Café in Hazratganj (the Times Square of Lucknow) which is owned by India’s first MasterChef Pankaj Bhadouria.

Mazahir al-Uloom in Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh. The school where India’s most senior teacher of hadith resides, Shaykh Yunus Saharanpuri.

saharanpur

Emotional/Psychological

When you think things cannot get any more ridiculous, leave it to the interactions of an American student with his Indian environment to prove him wrong. The biggest arena where this was tested was in my interactions with administration,and  students and teachers alike at Nadwa. The most powerful incident which challenged my status quo was when I needed to get a measly managerial task completed, and instead of someone doing their job and getting done what needed to get done, I was introduced to the rather accepted and overbearing culture of purposeful procrastination. It was one of those things which would make me angry, while also upsetting me to the extent of wanting to shed tears, but I would stop myself as there was absolutely no functional premise for me to do so. Crying would not get me anywhere. This was a big deal as many of these tasks need to be completed in succession to be able to either sit in classes, complete registration, get permission to travel during the school year, etc. When this situation would unfold repeatedly, those intense feelings would not come back as strongly as they did the first time. I realized that my level of patience had gone up at that point. I had collected myself emotionally, and was now able to cognitively begin to analyze the environment that I was living in and its effect upon me. I will end up speaking more about this aspect in regards to interactions with students and teachers in the section below.

The Phrase “It’s Really Hot Today” Redefined

Getting used to the climate in Lucknow was not as easy as I had imagined it to be. From May to August the heat is unbearable. The average temperature just in May was 110 degrees Fahrenheit with a 125 degree real feel. It only gets worse in June through August when the humidity sets in. Though the monsoon season also starts around this time sending cool rains to moisten and cool the air, this year the storms arrived very late.weather

Things cool down between September to mid-December where it’s between 80-90 degrees usually. Then from mid-December to January the temperature drops to 40 to below freezing for many days.  Now though that does not sound too cold, you need to remember that there is no system of heating in most households and motor vehicles–so staying warm can be quite a challenge! Finally, from February to April the temperature is once again mild in the mid 80s during the day.

A goat climbing a car in New Delhi.

goat on car

What Will You See in the Rest of this Series?

Within this series on MuslimMatters, readers will be shown how life in India is for an American, experiences with health care, law enforcement, locals, Islamic institutions, what students of knowledge should consider before thinking about studying overseas, and lastly reflections and recommendations on the institutions I have visited.

. . .

Check out Part III of this series –> Health Care in India: Scooters, Breaking Bones, and Surgery | The Motherland

#Culture

The Most Amazing Masjid Complex Built in the Western Hemisphere

Hena Zuberi

Which deeds are most beloved to Allah?

By Hena Zuberi

After a 5-year wait, the Diyanet Center of America, also known as the Turkish American Community Center, is ready for worshipers and for visitors of all faiths.

A true majestic wonder- it is something made from a hundred million prayers. May Allah bless this gift to the people of the United States from the Turkish nation.

phoca_thumb_l_20

The photography is by Salam Aref of New Dream Designs, an upcoming architect, artist and designer based in Maryland.

Turkish Mosque-9

The center of the masjid is designated as the sacred sanctuary

Turkish Mosque-42

Turkish Mosque-10

The Mihrab is made of marble and gold leaf technique which was applied by artisans from Turkey. The upper part of the side of the mihrab is decorated with tiles imported from Turkey. On the pediment of the mihrab is a figure of the tree of life which symbolizes the 99 names of God.

Turkish Mosque-30

The ornate, marble mimbar is used for special occasions such as the Eid salah. It was designed and made in Turkey

Turkish Mosque-32

Turkish Mosque-33

The kursi, where the imam gives dars, is composed entirely of wood and was made in Turkey. The kündekari technique of woodworking (the tongue-and-groove paneling of polygons and stars set in a strap work skeleton), which is the traditional art of wood decoration, and inlaid with mother-of-pearl. As the characteristic of kundekari technique, no nails, screws, glue, or fasteners were used in the panels

Turkish Mosque-34

Over the area of the sanctuary, there is a main dome on each side of which are five small domes. In order to provide  light inside the mosque, there are windows around the rim of the main dome. This dome is adorned with Arabic calligraphy, one of the traditional decorative arts of Islam. The large and small domes are supported by arches, in conformity with traditional architecture. Four marble columns were brought in from the Turkish provinces of Istanbul, Eskişehir, Afyonkarahisar, and Tokat, which are famous for marble.

Turkish Mosque-35

An intricately carved rehal holding a large Quran

Turkish Mosque-36

The central dome is inscribed with Surah al Ikhlas.

Turkish Mosque-37

A tree of life motif is centered, complete with the 99 names of Allah.

Turkish Mosque-38

Turkish Mosque-39

“The Million Dollar Door”

The door of the main masjid is a brilliant piece of art made with the Kündekâri technique, This woodworking technique was developed in Anatolia during the era of the Seljuks. “Masters involved in the art of kündekâri, known as kündekârs, state that the starting point of this art is patience. They also complain about the lack of patience and interest among the younger generations concerning this traditional art form. In practice, say the masters, if you overlook a deviation even on the order of millimeters, you will lose control and fail to assemble the kündekâri. The technique produces pieces that are known to last for seven to eight centuries easily if not subjected to the negative effects of such things as earthquakes, fire, and excessive humidity.” From AnadoluJet magazine.

The mosque has six wood doors which open to three areas of the sanctuary and three areas of the courtyard.

Turkish Mosque-1

The central courtyard is anchored by a marble fountain. Copper taps are used keep an old world aesthetic.

Turkish Mosque-2

Turkish Mosque-3

Turkish Mosque-4

Turkish Mosque-5

The windows in the outdoor courtyard

Turkish Mosque-6

Turkish Mosque-8

This is the only masjid in America that has two minarets

Turkish Mosque-10

Turkish Mosque-11

Turkish Mosque-13

Turkish Mosque-14

The mahfil, the area reserved for women covers about 1300 square feet. The ceiling
of the mahfil is covered with five small-scale domes. The domes are decorated with geometric designs.

Turkish Mosque-15

Chandeliers in the domes of the main hall of the masjid

Turkish Mosque-23

Turkish Mosque-24

Turkish Mosque-25

Turkish Mosque-26

Turkish Mosque-29

Turkish Mosque-40

Turkish Mosque-41

A 220-seat auditorium is a part of the multi-purpose cultural center. This includes a  conference room equipped with an advanced sound system and simultaneous translation rooms.

Turkish Mosque-17

Turkish Mosque-18

Turkish Mosque-19

Turkish Mosque-20

Tiles adorning the cultural center at DCA

Turkish Mosque-21

Turkish Mosque-22

Turkish Mosque-27

#Culture

#Mecca_Live on Snapchat- Showcasing Laylat Al-Qadr on Social Media

Which deeds are most beloved to Allah?

by Asad Yazdani

Snapchat – an already popular app – has been gaining a lot more attention and praise lately. An app that allows people to share pictures and videos of what you are currently doing with all your friends, Snapchat (in August of 2014) added a new feature called “Live” to their already existing “Our Story” feature.

With this feature, Snapchat users who are in a certain area or attending a certain event are able to submit their snaps to the event’s Live Snapchat Story, where many photos and videos are picked to be showcased to the rest of the world for a period of twenty-four hours after they are first put up.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsLh6i6kHIo[/youtube]

Snapchat is taking the world by storm by utilizing this feature across the globe, from LA to Japan, and more recently, from Makkah. Muslims from around the world have gathered to perform Umrah, the voluntary pilgrimage, during an incredibly sacred time in which it is believed that the Quran was revealed – the last ten days of Ramadan. This event, known as “Laylat Al-Qadr,” was broadcast during the Mecca Live Snapchat Story.
A_1 A_2

Naturally, this has many Muslims around the world and especially on social media very happy and excited:

B_2 B_1

A common theme being represented by the response is that of the beautiful unity of human beings from all walks of life that is being shown:

C_1  C_3

The Mecca Live Snapchat Story is also giving many Muslims a chance to educate people of other faiths about Islam:

D_1 D_2 D_3

Beyond just that response, however, many self-proclaimed non-Muslims are weighing in with their opinions also. And, given the recent state of representation of Muslims in the media, we seem to be getting an overall positive response:

E_1 E_2 E_3 E_4 E_5

Even politicians are weighing in on this Live Snapchat Story:

Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee, Representing Texas’ 18th Congressional District in the US House of Representatives

We are seeing that technology – especially social media – is slowly finding its way into our daily lives. This Mecca Live Snapchat story is truly showing the world the true power of social media as not just a platform for people to share pictures of their lunch or videos of their cats, but rather to show the true nature of a group of people who have been maligned by bad press all over the world, who have had their religion hijacked by extremists– a nature that one does not find by simply going online and doing a search on Google.

May Allah bless those who worked hard to get this story in motion and may He invite us all to this holy city one day.

Ameen.

Asad Yazdani is an American Muslim of Pakistani descent. Currently studying Engineering in San Diego, he hopes to find a way to incorporate his studies into bettering the lives of Muslims and non-Muslims around the world one day, inshAllah.