Islamic Events

Interview with Dr Bilal Philips

Guests

As some readers may be aware, the Canadian Muslim scholar Dr Bilal Philips was recently refused a visa to attend an Islamic conference in Melbourne, Australia. The Australian government cited security concerns as their reason and a number of serious allegations against Dr Philips were made in the media. For example, the Herald Sun reported:

Sheik Philips, 50, a Canadian citizen who lives in Qatar, once wrote: “Western culture, led by the United States, is the enemy of Islam.”

The US Government named him as an “unindicted co-conspirator” in the 1993 bombing that killed six people and injured 1000. He was deported from the US in 2004.

Unfortunately, lost in the coverage of the conference and Dr Philips’ visa application was Dr Philips’ side of the story. As such, we are pleased to present this interview with the sheikh in which he responds to some of the media and government allegations against him.

Dr Philips, where are you at the moment?

I currently reside in Doha, Qatar and have been here for the past three and a half years. Prior to that I lived in the UAE for ten years and before that for twenty years in Saudi Arabia.

As we know, the Australian government recently refused to issue you a visa to enter Australia for an Islamic conference. They cited security concerns as the reason. What is your view on the their decision?

I find it appalling as my track record as a moderate Islamic lecturer, professor, television presenter, and writer should stand against the baseless allegation that I’m an extremist or a threat to the security interests of Australia.

I have been to Australia on more than one occasion and my lectures have all been recorded and are circulated in Australia and they all speak to my moderation. I have found Australians to be very open and tolerant during my visits and lectures on campuses and other public venues. So the refusal comes as a disappointment, especially considering that my wife is a third generation Australian of Irish extraction.

Furthermore, in July of last year I did a lecture series in New Zealand, flying in transit through Sydney, and all my lectures were recorded there also, if the Australian immigration and security agencies cared to review them.

It is very saddening to see the Australian authorities so blindly following American allegations and unsubstantiated false accusations, instead of following the path of fair investigation as the authorities in New Zealand, UK, and Canada have done. Had they bothered to contact the Canadian authorities who have thoroughly investigated me based on American suspicions or the British who have done the same based on my regular lecturing in the country, they would have found sufficient evidence that I am not nor have I ever been involved in any form of terrorism or anything remotely connected to it. In fact I am one of the loudest voices in opposition to those who commit acts of indiscriminate wanton violence against civilian populations and the like in the name of the religion.

Anyone who visits my website or hundreds of Islamic websites, or googles my video and audio lectures can find hundreds of lectures recorded over the past twenty years readily available for download. My over 50 adult and 56 children’s books (Eemaan Reading Series) are on sale in most English speaking countries and used in many Islamic English medium schools internationally.

Several newspapers have reported that you were deported from the United States in 2004 and that you are an “unindicted co-conspirator” in the first WTC bombing. Is this true?

Most Australian newspapers reported the claim that I was “deported” from the USA in 2004. However, this is totally and absolutely false. I have not entered the USA since 1995, so it is an outright lie, and those who published it deserve to be sued for defamation of my character.

It is also worth noting that the other claim that I was an “unindicted co-conspirator” in the 1993 World Trade Center bombing is really a joke, because well over 100 names of active Muslim leaders, teachers, and lecturers in the New York, New Jersey and Philadelphia areas were put on a supposedly leaked report of the then attorney general, Mary Jo White, back in 1994. Since then, none of the “unindicted co-conspirators” have been charged but the “list” remains.

Guilt by association has become a defining characteristic of the American intelligence community’s activities in dealing with Western Muslims. The case of a Canadian citizen, Mr. Maher Arar, is a classic example in which false accusations resulted in tortureand false imprisonment. In Mr. Arar’s case, even after Canadian authorities cleared his name and admitted their mistake and agreed to pay him several millions of dollars, the American authorities flatly refused and still refuse to remove him from their “list”.

A further point raised in the media is that you reportedly said that Western culture, led by the United States, is an enemy of Islam. Did you indeed say this and, if so, in what context?

This quote has been falsely attributed to me in the Australian press and has been repeated in several reports. They claim that I said that, “Western culture, led by the United States, is the enemy of Islam.”

These words have been taken out of context. They were actually from a book in which I was quoting the well-known Harvard University Professor Samuel P. Huntington’s famous statement on the clash of civilisations:

The underlying problem for the West is not Islamic fundamentalism. It is Islam, a different civilization whose people are convinced of the superiority of their culture and are obsessed with the inferiority of their power. The problem for Islam is not CIA or the U.S. Department of Defense. It is the West, a different civilization whose people are convinced of the universality of their culture and believe that their superior, if declining, power imposes on them the obligation to impose that culture throughout the world. These are the basic ingredients that fuel conflict between Islam and the West.

What did you intend to speak about in Australia?

As for my lecture topics at the conference, they were: 1. Introduction to a Dialogue between Civilizations; 2. Human Values are Truly Universal; and 3. The Prophetic Methodology: Perfection of Moral Character.

And I was to participate in a panel discussion on: Tackling the Negative Perception of Islam and Muslims in Contemporary Australian Society.

Have you had any feedback from Australians in the last few days regarding the government’s decision? What is the nature of this feedback/reaction?

A few emails have come in in response to the articles in the news papers. Most were positive. Some, mostly from Muslims, apologized for the Australian government’s handling of the issue. I did however receive some abusive emails from non-Muslim Australians (ostensibly) praising the government for its decision.

Are you considering taking any action against the government or the media in Australia over the banning and subsequent damage to your reputation?

No I’m not, though I would like to as a matter of principle. However, my finances do not allow me to be engaged in a drawn-out court battle, as in the case of Yusuf Islam when he was wrongly deported from the USA last year.

As you say, you have been to Australia on more than one occasion before and have travelled elsewhere to lecture. What was your opinion of Australia/Australians before the government’s ban and has that changed?

My impression remains positive. I have always thought of Australians as being very down-to-earth, “homey”, non-pretentious and friendly – some of the effects of watching Crocodile Dundee in my youth, I suppose. That hasn’t changed, as I know that government policies don’t necessarily represent the feelings of the common man and woman in the street.

Australians like to believe they are a tolerant and accepting people but there is a view that Islamaphobia is rife here and is growing in this country. Do you agree with that view and if Australia continues down this path, what problems do you foresee?

No doubt Islamaphobia has taken root in Australia and elsewhere due to a lot of negative media publicity in the past few years, and the hijacking of the international Islamic awakening by intolerant, violent, terroristic elements. However, as they say: ‘Things are bound to get worse before they get better.’ I believe that this is a phase and that it will pass as it passed for other Australians before. The Aboriginal people of Australia suffered and are still suffering, but a lot of improvement has taken place in the last decade. Similarly, the Chinese immigrants suffered and continue to suffer to some degree, but the worse phase has passed for them also. Likewise, Muslim immigrants and converts are going through hard times now, but as Australians come to know more sbout their Muslim neighbors, the situation will change. This is primarily because Islamic values are universal and it is only a matter of time before Australians as a whole come to know it and welcome Muslim Australians in their midst.

If you had a message for Australians, particularly in the wake of the banning, what would that be? And if there was a key message/messages from the lectures you were to present that you would like me to get across in the article, what would that be?

As to my message for Australians, it would be “don’t judge the book by its cover,” especially when the cover is prepared by the media and the powers that be. Muslims are one fifth of the world’s population and the fastest growing religion in the world, and not just some exotic cult found in remote corners of the world. There must be something to it worth knowing, if it has captivated the hearts of some many common human beings just like yourselves. Do yourselves a favor by finding out about Islam from reliable sources to better understand your fellow countrymen and women. Australia is fast becoming a large multi-cultural community so cultural-pluralism is a reality which must be accepted for the society to function effectively. Cultural sensitivity is the need of the hour. If it is not adopted, the very fabric of society will be torn apart.

Regarding the key message which I was planning to convey in the conference, it was for Muslims to get out of the box and be a part of mainstream society by being involved in their communities and the wholesome activities of their communities. Open your doors and let the general public come in and find out about your way of life so that they can realize how much we have in common. The “under-siege” mentality which plagues us is a natural consequence of the world events of the past couple of decades, however the Muslim community must go beyond it and share their values with the greater Australian society. Otherwise Islamaphobia will continue to increase, and Muslims will find themselves further sidelined from Australian social and political life.

Originally posted at Austrolabe.

Anonymous

April 9, 2007 at 9:39 AM

Thank you for posting this. Sadly, for the Australian govt, I guess it’s easier for them to leave the onus of the proof on the accusee.

2. ibnabeeomar

ibnabeeomar

April 9, 2007 at 10:55 AM

jazakallahu khayr! that was a good interview to read, inshallah i hope it can dispel some myths

3. Amad

Amad

April 9, 2007 at 1:01 PM

It is more and more becoming an attack on theology and orthodoxy (not a great choice of word but relevant) than any real effort to stop extremism or terrorism. I wonder if the Australian government will stop Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell or one of the other evangelical radical right-wingers, who have openly insulted Muslims and Islam. Of course, that won’t happen. The double-standards are so obvious that they don’t even try to hide it anymore!

abu abdillah

April 9, 2007 at 1:32 PM

assalamu alaikum,

In situations such as these it is always important to remember that people plot and plan and Allah is the best of planners.

As Br. Amad mentioned, the attack is a blatant attack on orthodox Muslim scholars who are able to make Islam practical and relevant in the lives of westerners.

There is no doubt that what these people fear most is someone who can combine orthodox Islam with the world we live in today.

I believe this is the main reason there is a full throttle effort to silence voices like Sh. Ja’far and Dr. Bilal Philips.

This is also the reason Sh. Ali al-Timimi was prosecuted so zealously and Sh. Anwar al-awlaki was basically kicked out his country of birth to be later arrested in a country with horrible treatment of prisoners.

Despite these hurdles, we should look back to the time of the Sahabah and use this as a means to further our love and appreciation for the likes of Khabab, Bilal, the family of Yasir, etc. (may Allah be pleased with them all)

inexplicabletimelessness

April 9, 2007 at 1:33 PM

As salaamu alaikum,

Nice interview. May Allah reward sheikh Bilal Philips for all his efforts, ameen.

Mujahideen Ryder

April 9, 2007 at 6:44 PM

Sh. Bilal may have changed his tone, but I will never forget the biggest takfir at MSG in NYC in the early 90s on Sh. Nuh.

7. Amad

Amad

April 9, 2007 at 10:09 PM

MR akhi… come on bro, when it comes to issues such as these, Muslims need to speak with one voice. It matters not what the theology specifics of the Muslim is, to be honest, we should be as loud about it whether it was Nuh Keller on one side or Bilal Philips on the other. I don’t know what takfir you are referring to (can you please bring some evidence?) but people have changed tones on all sides of the aisle, and not only tones but also actual opinions about each other. I can also sit here and quote you the vitriol that Sh. Nuh has said about the other side (from Ibn Taymiyyah down to other scholars), but if it came to supporting his right to enter any Western country, inshallah, I will be among his supporters. You have to understand that it is Islamic theology they are fighting, not personalities.

ONLY will we be the losers if we start bickering between ourselves when it comes to issues where we CAN take a common stand. Today it will be Bilal Phillips, and indeed tomorrow it will be Nuh Keller.

“And they will not cease fighting you until they turn you back from your religion, if they can” (2:217)

BintMuhammed

April 9, 2007 at 10:39 PM

JazakaAllahu khair for the interview…its always a pleasure to have sheikh bilal in toronto…and if Australia doesnt want him alhamdulilah more of him for us. May Allah reward him for his efforts in spreading the knowledge. Ameen

Mujahideen Ryder

April 10, 2007 at 11:42 AM

I wasn’t saying I am against the cause. Australia is wrong for doing that. I was just reminded by the past.

I was talking about an event at Madison Square Garden where Sh. Bilal was talking about sufism and sufis and mentioned Sh. Nuh and basically he said they were out of the fold of Islam. This was in the 90s.

10. ibnabeeomar

ibnabeeomar

April 10, 2007 at 11:53 AM

you know i have seen these accusations levelled against him before, but can you actually provide actual proof and an exact quote of what he said? my guess is he may have said certain beliefs or practices may technically constitute kufr, however, i doubt he went so far as to actually kick them out of the fold of Islam.

so please bring something tangible/verifiable, because otherwise this is just conjecture or hearsay that is being used to slander someone who has done a lot of positive work for the Ummah.

osama

March 13, 2008 at 10:46 AM

true believers are always targeted and sterotyped,so it is Allah”s predestiny to make scholars stronger .may Allah reward him best 4 his dawa efforts.

Abu Ayesha Al Emarati

May 15, 2009 at 3:13 AM

So Dr Bilal Philips speaks the truth about some extreme sufis and MR has a problem with that? There are people who wish the blur the distinction between Ahlus Sunnah and Ahlul Dalalah.

Never will these people be happy unless the People of Sunnah are silenced.

sam

November 23, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Br. Bilal Philips is not extreme in his opnions or views he has always spoke aganist the terrorists attacks and has never supported them in anyway the evidence can be seen in his soft and kind character and books lectures etc,,,,this man is very knowledgeable and if anything can eliminate terrorism by his lectures so what a loss for the countries which are not granting him visa’s,,,he is the answer to a peaceful world alhumdulliah people are just taking things out of context,,,,keep up the good work brother and LOOK AFTER U,,,:)

Announcements

Complicated?:​ ​The A-Z of Women’s Modern Fiqh | Sh Waleed Basyouni

Sh. Waleed Basyouni

You know that frustrating feeling of not knowing the answers to certain questions?

Questions like:

…am I praying or am I not?

…can I touch the Quran or can I not…?

…did that man really just say that because I’m a woman, I can’t do this, or wear that, or speak up?

Every ​question,​ every ​concern,​ every ​misconception on​ Women’s Fiqh… What if you had the answers?

Women’s fiqh has a reputation for being complicated. However, the reason why is because nobody has given it the full attention it needs in the context of Muslim women living in the West today.

I propose we end that confusion, stop the misuse of Islamic texts, and reclaim the knowledge. This applies to the men, as well. Men will want to learn about this as well – not just because they have women in their life (a mom, a sister, a wife or a daughter). But because knowing the fiqh specific to half of the world’s population saves everyone from making dangerous mistakes.

The answers to your questions and the knowledge you’re looking for comes in a complete, online guided course:​ Complicated?:​ ​The A-Z of Women’s Modern Fiqh.

It’s titled with a question mark because it really isn’t that complicated. This is the complete online course that covers every stage of a woman’s natural lifecycle. From newborns, puberty, and education, to marriage, old age, and the eventual janazah.

Plus, it covers modern fiqh questions about topics like careers, public speaking, fashion, social interactions and textual misconceptions.

Here’s what past attendees have to say about this course:

“Throughout the course, I was nodding all the time….. …..like YES, this is a question I’ve had….

…. and thank you for answering it.

It opened my eyes to so many different issues,

Som that I was struggling with, and some I hadn’t even considered.”– From author and speaker, Sr Asmaa Hussain

“At first, I thought it would be a course on the usual Fiqh of Women stuff… …like pregnancy, periods, ghusl, salah. Sure that was there and with great clarity… …but it was literally the A-Z: He talked about women’s leadership, women as judges, women in positions of power… Never had I felt more empowered, more confident.…and especially grateful to be present in this class. “ – Ustadha Taimiyyah Zubair

You will also get to listen to these guest speakers:

• Imam Omar Suleiman ​- AlMaghrib Instructor, ​civil rights activist, writer, and speaker
  • Dunia Shuaib -​ Certified marriage educator, author, and lecturer
  • Maryam Amir ​- Hafidha  and social justice educator
  • Dr. Marwa Assar -​ Psychologist, educator, writer, CEO of H.O.M.E.
  • Hina Mirza​ – Registered psychotherapist

And watch recorded bonuses with:

• Ustadha Taimiyyah Zubair​ – Instructor at AlMaghrib Institute
  • Asmaa Hussain​ – Author of the best seller- A Temporary Gift
  • Sarah Sultan​ – Mental health counselor
  • Noor Salem​ – Nutritionist, author and speaker
  • Aminah Khan​ – Entrepreneur, Founder of Amanah Fitness
  • Shaykh Yahya Ibrahim​ – Instructor at AlMaghrib Institute

Every question ever asked about Women’s fiqh is answered in this online course. And if you still have more questions, there are Live Q&A sessions scheduled for you to ask what hasn’t already been discussed.

If you are interested in joining, then make sure you register before ​today Oct 10th 11:59pm, ​when the course closes.

Click on the link below and get access to your student portal today:

www.almaghrib.online

#Society

TDC Speaker Feature: Sarah Sultan, LMHC

Guests

We know that no one runs a marathon on day 1. This Texas Dawah Convention, Sarah Sultan’s session is dedicated to understanding the impact of avoiding pain for immediate comforts on our lives, mental state, and attaining happiness.

Sarah Sultan is a licensed Mental Health Counselor and has a Master’s Degree in Mental Health Counseling from Brooklyn College of the City University of New York, graduating Summa Cum Laude. Sarah is currently working as a therapist at a residential treatment center for teens in crisis, where she works with adolescents dealing with suicidality, trauma, self-harming behaviors, aggression and a variety of other issues. She is also an instructor with Mishkah University, where she teaches a course about the intersection between Islam, psychology and counseling.

Read more of her work here:

7 Tips to Overcome Anxiety and Worry

Dear Mama

Timing is Everything

#Society

TDC Speaker Feature: Shaykh Omar Husain

Guests

This upcoming TDC, Shaykh Omar Husain’s session will be dedicated to addressing accepting failure and building upon our negative experiences to attain happiness.

Omar Husain attended the University of Illinois at Chicago on a tennis scholarship, and graduated with a degree in Information Sciences.  He further graduated from the College of Islamic studies and Arabic Language at Al-Azhar. He is currently the Religious Director at MCECC San Antonio, and is pursuing a masters degree in counseling.

Read more of his work here:

Food and Fitness: No Seconds Please!

3 Things Your Imam/Shaykh Wishes You Knew About Them