Update: Since the Senate Bill was signed into law, some people may think that there is not much else that can be done. Living here in Arizona, I know quite few civil rights organizations are mobilizing. But here are few more things that each and everyone of us can do:
2. Make sure the AZ governor knows that you are unhappy with her enacting of the new immigration law. The governor's contact info is found at http://azgovernor.gov/Contact.asp. As always, be courteous and polite.
3. Make alliances with immigration and civil rights groups of various faiths and races. We should show that the virus of racial profiling can strike the minorities of any religion or race.
Senate Bill 1070 was passed by the Arizona state legislature and awaits the signature of Governor Brewer. If passed, the bill would legalize racial profiling and sow distrust between immigrant communities and law enforcement. If Arizona's governor does not veto the bill within two days, it will become a law in the state of Arizona. This will also set a dangerous precedence for other states in this country.
Here are some immediate actions that you can take even if you don't live in the state of Arizona. Please be POLITE and RESPECTFUL:
1. Visit the Presente website and add your name to the petition
2. Call Governor Brewer TODAY and ask her to veto the bill. Call: (602) 542-4331 or (800) 253-0883; On the net: http://azgovernor.gov/contact.asp
3. Forward this request to your friends and family.
For more information about this bill and how it affects Muslims and other minorities, please check this link