Update! Imam Anwar al-Awlaki Released!

This article was posted before the al-Awlaki’s militant views were known. Because of this, while MuslimMatters has decided to leave this post, we in no way endorse or associate ourselves with the Awlaki’s more recent extremist rhetoric.

Cageprisoners has confirmed that Imam Anwar al-Awlaki has been released from prison in Yemen (hat-tip to Jinnzaman’s FB message)

Update: Email from the Imam to all well-wishers (via Cageprisoners):

097_anwar_awlaki.jpg

“The time I spent in detention was a great blessing from Allah. They were moments of contemplation and study which I was greatly in need of. Alhamdulillah, Allah has blessed me during that time of solitude with tranquility and peace to the extent that at most of the time I was preferring detention over freedom. Now that I am free I ask Allah to enable me to thank Him for his blessings.

“I am greatly moved to know that many of my brothers and sisters have been asking about my situation and praying for my release. I thank them all. May Allah reward all of you with Paradise.”

Get more of our great articles.

25/12/2007
Imam Anwar Al Awlaki Released From Custody

Cageprisoners.com can confirm that Imam Anwar Al Awlaki was released from prison on 12th December 2007, after almost a year and a half behind bars in Yemen.

We thank all of you who took action on his behalf and remembered him in your prayers.

If you would like to send Imam Anwar a message, please email us at contact@cageprisoners.com and we will pass it on.

Alhamdulillah this is great news. I urge all the brothers and sisters to send a quick email to Imam Awlaki, telling him how happy we are that he has been released from his unlawful and undeserved imprisonment, back to his family and friends. May Allah protect our scholars and students of knowledge from the oppressors and the dictators of the world.

53 / View Comments

53 responses to “Update! Imam Anwar al-Awlaki Released!”

1. Amad says:

What an excellent news!

Of course no one can give the Imam the year and a half that the oppressors took away of his life for no reason. But if not here, there is always justice in akhira.

may Allah keep the Imam safe from his enemies.

2. AnonyMouse says:

ALLAHU AKBAR!!!!
    SubhanAllah, I’m so happy to hear the news! May Allah protect him – and all others – from the evil ones amongst mankind and jinn, ameen!

3. nasir says:

does this mean he’ll be allowed back into the US?

4. iMuslim says:

Alhamdulillah! There have been rumours circulating about his release for months, but so glad we have official confirmation now.

Ameen to the ‘aadiya.

5. Zuneera says:

Allahu Akbar and Alhumdulilah!!!

6. Ashmin says:

Allllllllllllahu Akbar.WAllahi i couldn’t be happier.

I’ve benefited so much from him and couldn’t imagine him behinds bars. May Allah Subhana WAtala protect our scholars. Ameen

7. Moiez says:

Takbeer! Allahuakbar! Takbeer! Allahuakbar! Takbeer! Allahuakbar!

8. ibnabeeomar says:

I’m glad it is confirmed alhamdulillah

9. Voyageur says:

Allaahu Akbar!
    JazakumAllaahu khayr for verifying this beautiful news. We were just talking abt his release yesterday. Alhumdulillaah, alhumdulillaah

10. MR says:

May Allah (swt) bring justice to all the innocent people of the world. Ameen!

11. Assalam Alaikum

Really thts grt news, I’m very very happy! May Allah swt reward him the best of both worlds.. ameen

Jazaak Allah Khair for informing us!

12. alhamdulilahi rabbil alameen
    hopefully he will release more cd sets

13. Umm Reem says:

ALhamdullilah, may Allah azzawjal keep him safe and a mean to establish His deen.

14. SaqibSaab says:

Bring on the Life of Uthman and Ali CD sets! Alhumdulillah! :)

15. Hidayah says:

I agree 100%%% with Saqib =)

16. Abu Omar says:

Insha’Allah, Ali al-Timimi will be the next to be released from unjust and oppressive imprisonment. Brothers and sisters, please remember to continue to make du’a for those still in captivity.

17. Umm Reem says:

I can’t wait for the day when I will get to hear that Ali Timimi has been released, inshaAllah. May Allah azzawjal make us hear that soon.

18. ibnabeeomar says:

insha’Allah may Allah (swt) release Ali Timimi soon

19. Abdul-Alim says:

This is the greatest news I’ve read in the last two decades.

20. Kudirat Bello says:

Alhamdullilahi Rabbil a’lamin, elated is an understatement. Insha Allah I pray he has come out of this fitnah a much more stronger servant of Allah.
    May Allah swt continue to shower his blessings on all our teachers of knowledge, Ameen.

21. Amad says:

Please see update in the form of an email from Imam Anwar.

w/s

22. Abu Ziyad says:

Allahu Akbar!!! How beautiful this news can be! Alhamdulillah. Now we can expect the 2nd part of Madeena period of prophet(s) seerah in his commentary.

23. Amad says:

SubhanAllah… you know I totally digg how we are all looking forward to some more gems from Shaykh Anwar…

But to be honest, I am just glad that his family has him back. While we missed his beautiful voice and his stories, imagine how much his family missed him.

I hope Imam Anwar takes his merry time, resting and spending time with his family… and when he and his family are fully satisfied, only then do I look forward to all the other wonderful audios.

24. […] news that Imam Anwar has been released. Just reading his comments upon release (which you can see here) are an imaan […]

25. Wasim says:

Alhamdulilh Imam Anwar is out of prision , Mashallah what a high Intellectual brother may allah make all of us like him!

26. Angie says:

Allahu akbar!! Allahu akbar!!

27. abu khaled says:

assalamu alaikum amad and everyone else, check this out:

Br. Abu Khaled – links are welcome as long as they are relevant to the discussion, otherwise please post the link on a post more appropriate for the material. JAK – MM

28. Let us all make du’aa’ that Shaykh Ali Timimi will indeed be free very soon. The very same Allah that has facilitated that release of Imam Anwar will, inshallah, facilitate the release of our esteemed shaykh.

29. Nahla I. says:

Alhamdulilah!

30. nafsee says:

Allahu Akbar =) I’m sooo happy! Imam Anwar is truly an inspiring teacher…

31. Br. Ibrahim says:

SubhanAllah!! This is amazing news!! May Allah Bless him and his family!

32. JazaakumAllahu khaira to everyone who sent messages to Sheikh Anwar – we were really quite overwhelmed by this unprecedented outpouring of support and all have been forwarded on.

I hope you do not mind me making a small request; whilst it gave us immense happiness to see the love in the hearts of the Muslims for Sh Anwar I have to say that I felt deeply saddened that only one Muslim has sent a similar message to the three brothers who were released from Guantanamo on Eid ul Adha and returned to the UK – Jamil Al Banna, Omar Deghayes and Abdenour Sameur. We received a dozen messages altogether – the remainder from non-Muslims.

I know that for most of us, these are just names and they have not impacted our lives in the way that Sheikh Anwar has, but these brothers were held away from their families, often in isolation, in far worse conditions and tortured for six years.

I’m sure these brothers would be equally moved to receive messages from their brothers and sisters. You can read more about them on our website. If you would like to send a message please email it to contact@cageprisoners.com. JazaakumAllahu Khaira.

33. Shaykha says:

Asalaamu Alaaikum

Takbir, Allahu Akbar!!

I’m so happy to hear the Sheikh has been released. May Allah swt hasten the release of all the other brothers and sisters behind bars! ameen

Cageprisoners- jazaakAllahu Khair for the reminder!

Wa’alaykum Asalaam

-Your Sister Anisa

34. Lateefa says:

AssalamuAlikum Shaikh Anwar-Al-Awlaki,
    Welcome back to your family and our lives, thank Allah! I have never meet you in person, however, I feel like I have known you as my teacher for years. I listen to your CDs during my commute to work and I have learned a lot about the Quran and my faith. You are a blessing from Allah to all of our Muslim brothers and sisters, I thank Allah for having you in our lives, and I can not thank you enough for your Islamic teachings. I have been praying for your release and I will always keep praying for you and your family to be blessed and protected with Allah’s mercy. May Allah bless you more, and I hope to hear more of your new CDs InshaAllah! Your teachings bring peace, respect, and patient in my heart and in my life. The more I learn from your teachings, the more love, peace and harmony comes to my life because, your teachings make me understand my faith.

Welcome back and May Allah bless you :)

Lateefa
    VA, USA

35. Faruq says:

Alhamdu lillah! Allohu Akbar! This is the greatest news!

36. Amir says:

You can email him your messages directly at: al_aulaqi @ yahoo .com

37. […] blogosphere was taken over by the news of Benazir Bhutto’s assasination, we were rejoicing at the release of our beloved sheikh, Anwar al-Awlaki, after his one and a half year detention in a Yemeni prison. Even prior to that, there was more […]

38. Fasahat says:

All thanks and praise to Allah.
    May Allah make the Imam a source of more light
    and guidance, Ameen
    He has changed so many lives.

39. Yahya Toyin MURITALA says:

Alhamdulillaahi!!! May Almighty Allah preserve his life and the lives other Islamic missionary workers for the Muslim Ummah in general. Aamin!

40. Abdullaah bn Abdullaah says:

Alhamdulillaah.May Allaah protect him and make his imprisonment a means of his istiqaamah as many come out retracting their positions for fear of the tyrants.

Abdullaah bn Abdullaah

41. Yunus says:

Subhanallah the patience that he has may Allah S.W.T give us patience in bad times, Ameen. Inshallah now he will finish off Madina Part 2, can’t wait!

42. Aaisha says:

. May Allah (swt) protect our scholars. Ameen

43. MUSLIM says:

allahu wa akbar wa lillah al hamd…takbeer ..la ilaha illah allah muhammad rasoul allah …am out of words i can say as al rasoul (pbuh) said to abu bakr radiya allah anho (la tahzan inna allah maana)(dont be sad allah is with us)..this is the best words i can express my feeling to the release of the IMAM ANWAR AL AWLAKI..
    ahlan wa sahlan …today is the best day for me after hearing this amazing news …and may allah keep you and all muslims safe…and make us stead fast to the religion ameeeeen ya rab …..

44. MUSLIM says:

wallahi thomma wallahi ..imam anwar al awlaki should be the khaleefa for the ummah of muhammad (pbuh)the entire ummah there is no body better for this position ,no shoyookh in this entire world fit for this position for our time,,there is no body better than this sheekh wallahi this sheekh should lead the whole ummah of al rasoul sayidona muhammad alayhi al salat wa al salam…after an extensive ammount of research …..

ya sheekh am soo glad to know that you are back for us ,,if i ever have an oppurtunity i will have all my children study under you..this is my dream may allah make it true for me one day..
    you are the best for us all muslims…
    jazak allah kheer for all that knowledge which u have taugh us ..and inshallah will be waiting for the 2nd volume of al madina..
    teach us with all the wisdom (hikmah)that allah has bistowed on you.. barak allah feek ….
    waiting for you………………..

45. Ghaznavi says:

ALLAH HU AKBAR , ALLAH HU AKBAR, AL IZZA TU LILLAHI WA RASOOLEHI WA LIL MOMINEEN.
    MAY ALLAH PROTECT HIM FROM THE EVILS AND CONPERACIES OF KUFFAR. MAY ALLAH REWARD HIM JANNAH FOR THE GREAT LECTURES HE HAS GIVEN US.
    I WISH I COULD MEET HIM IN PERSON AS I HAVE SEEN HIM IN MY DREAMS MANY TIMES. TAKBEER TAKBEER TAKBEER

46. tabrez says:

Subhanallah,

My Hero is back.

I love him for the sake of Allah.

He doesn’t only talk about how a muslim should be patient in hardship,,, He showed it to us… Did you read his E-mail…. Subhanallah, he didnt complain at all.

He is a true scholar and a hero of Islam.

May Allah reward him.

47. Ahmad says:

alhamdu lil lah brother that you were released. may allah inshallah reward you for your time. mashallah brother you have so much knowledge.

48. ebrahim says:

ALLAHUAKBAR-from the bottom of my heart,may Allah give imam awlaki loooooong life inshallah! may Allah increase him in knoweledge;what is imam awlakis e mail?

49. -MA- says:

Allhamdulillahi Rabbil Alameen

50. Shahul Hameed says:

Allhamdulillahi

51. Abdurrasheed Abdussalam Badmous says:

Alamdullahi from the begening up till the moment till the end……Oh ALLAH enable us to think in the right way so that will will always thank, ALLAH bless you and let you live the rest of your life with joy