We have all heard, read, and know from experience the difficulties that Muslim youth are experiencing as they grow up here in the West. Identity issues, as well as other common concerns such as sex and drugs, are amongst the most important things they have to deal with.
To address the situation, here are two amazing resources for Muslim youth in Canada, America, and the United Kingdom: Muslim Youth Helplines.
1800- 550 – MYHL (6945)
The Muslim Youth Helpline through Ajyal for Youth Development is a free and 100% confidential resource for anyone (not just youth!) who has a question, problem, needs counselling, or just needs someone to talk to. Counsellors are Islamically qualified, as well as fluent in English and familiar with growing up in the West. Some counsellors also speak Arabic. Sisters have the option of choosing to speak with a female counsellor.
More about MYHL:
- The first toll-free, anonymous phone counselling, for Muslim youth in North America. Every day, Imams and professional counsellors provide immediate, caring support to young people in urban and rural communities across CANADA & the US.
- The service is completely, anonymous and confidential – they don't trace calls, they don't use call display. You don't even have to tell them your name if you don't want to.
- They have 6 volunteers Imams and professional counsellors across the country.
How You Can Help:
Calling the MYHL is free for young people across Canada and the US – but running the service isn't free. They rely on Allāh (subḥānahu wa ta'āla) first, then on donations from concerned individuals, companies and associations to ensure they can continue being there for the future generation.
Pages of Interest:
0808 808 2008
The Muslim Youth Helpline (MYH) is a registered charity which provides pioneering faith and culturally sensitive services to Muslim youth in the UK. The core service is a free and confidential counselling service available nationally via the telephone, email, internet and a face-to-face befriending service in the Greater London area, that uses male and female volunteers trained in basic counselling skills to respond to client enquiries.
- The Helpline
- Email counselling: help[at]myh.org.uk
- Internet counselling
- Peer Support: MuslimYouth.net
- Volunteer to be a helpline worker.
- Write and/or take photos for MuslimYouth.net.
- Become a trustee.