One of the greatest blessings that the internet has brought me is the chance to view videos of famous qurra the world over, past and present. There is nothing in this world that brings more peace and serenity than reading the Qur'an or listening to its recitation – even the Prophet salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam asked Ibn Mas`ud to recite the Qur'an to him. Ibn Mas`ud astonishingly asked, 'O Messenger of Allah! Should I recite the Qur'an to you, and it has been revealed to you (one version adds: and you have taught it to me)?!' To which the reply was given, 'Yes, for I love to hear it being recited by others.' (Reported in Bukhari, Muslim and Ahmed).

At first I was relying on YouTube to search for various old videos (this has got to be one of my favorite recitations – I grew up listening to his cassettes and it just brings back too many memories!). However, there are now some really good sites up that bring together these videos. The ones I use the most are QQuran.org, which concentrates on the 'classical' qurra of our times (check out their video section, and also their interviews with the famous qurra); and also a Turkish site that has quite a good selection.

Of course, there are dozens of superb sites that have audio only, one of the best is islamway.

I am always asked who my favorite qaris are; this is a matter of personal choice, and each person will undoubtedly have his or her preferences. But for me, the choice is crystal clear: the 'classical' mashayikh of this ancient art are far superior than any of the modern stars. For me, the single greatest Qari that stands heads and shoulders above the rest is Sh. Mahmud Khalil al-Hussari. He brings an elegance and purity to the recitation that is simply unmatched. He was the Shaykh al-Qurra of Egypt for almost two decades.

After him, my two favorites (in no specific order) are Sh. Muhammad Siddeeq al-Manshawi and Sh. Abd al-Basit Abd al-Samad. Both of them bring out the inner beauty of the Qur'an. Neadless to say, these three have absolutely perfect pronunciations of each and every syllable, letter, harakah, ghunnah, qalqalah, mudood, tafkheem, tarqeeq, and, most important of all, makharij. If ever in doubt, listen to any of these three recite and follow blindly :).

I really don't fancy most of the modern qurra (as they say, to each his own – and in all honesty most of them are not masters of tajweed and make some small mistakes here and there), but I must admit Mishary Rashid al-Afasy appears to have been blessed with one of the flutes of Dawud. Abdullah al-Basfar also has perfect tajweed and pronunciation. A Qari that I personally love but is not that well-known is Abd al-Hadi Kanakiri; I like the simplicity and clarity of his recitation.

Feel free to post your own preferences and web-sites in the comments (especially to not-so-famous Qaris!)

ADDENDUM

I have a bit of a 'hobby' of listening to recitations of the Qur'an. From my own observation, I would state there are three primary 'styles' of recitation in the Muslim world, and three other 'accents' which try to imitate one of those three styles.
As for the 'styles' (not to be confused with the actual qira`aat which date back to the Prophet salla Allahu alahyi wa sallam, they are:

1) The Egyptian Style; characterized by a very strong emphasis on the pronunciation of very letter. Typically very slow, crystal clear. Has its unique fluctuations. Examples are Abd al-Basit, Manshawi, Nu`ayna, Taruti , Hindawi (you NEED to listen to these last three as well – I had the great pleasure of having Hindawi on my show when I taped some episodes of a Tajweed series in Egypt), and others.

2) The Khaleeji style; characterized (many times) by a strong nasality; a 'musical' type of rhythm; a lack of extra clear enunciation at the expense of vacillating tones (I am not implying that these qaris make mistakes in enunciation, although it is undeniable that many amongst them are not as precise as their Egyptian counterparts). Examples are Ghamidi, Afasy, Qahtani, Shatry, etc.

3) The Shami style; characterized by a sweetness of tone and intense euphonious voice. Examples are: Ahmad Jibreel; Dimashqiyyah; al-Tarabulsi, etc.

As for the three accents, I find that Qaris from Indonesia/Malaysia, Turkey, and India/Pakistan have slight accents, and try to follow one of the three styles (typically Egyptian).

Personally, I am never impressed with people who try to imitate other Qaris (where is your originality?!). There are dozens of wanna-be Abd al-Basits (this one really comes close!), including his own two sons, Yasir and Tariq (who actually have a very legitimate excuse to sound like their father!!) – but Abd al-Basit has established himself with his own style and voice. No one can re-do that style, and any imitation is just that: an imitation. The same goes for those who try to imitate Sudays or Shuraim or Ali Jaber or any other famous Qari.

By the way thanks for all the other links – can never get tired of listening to them!!

85 Responses

1. Abdul-Quddus

As-salaamu ‘alaykum Yasir. Shaykh Abd al-Basit Abd al-Samad? Whoa! Enough said! Previously, my experience with islamway had been troublesome. The loading time left myself irritable. For some reason, my computer was incapable of fully loading the pages, so I ignored the website for awhile. Anyone else encounter this problem with islamway? I had a similar difficulty with the media at lightuponlight. Though, this isn’t the case now.

2. AnonyMouse

Abdul-Quddus: That’s odd! When I download stuff from IslamWay Radio (http://english.islamway.com/bindex.php?section=erecitorslist), it gets done pretty quickly…

I personally find Shaykh Abdul-Basit’s recitation a bit… well, slow! Shaykh Mishary is my all-time favourite recitor, especially of Juz Tabaarak… for Juz ‘Ammah, my preference is for Shaykh Abdur-Rahmaan al-Sudais.

Something that happens to me a lot is listening to anasheed before which a relevant aayah or two is recited, usually by an unknown recitor – and when I’m struck by the beauty of the recitation, I really want to find out who the recitor is – but no luck yet!

Maasha’Allah laa quwwata illaah billaah… :)

3. Amad

I have to admit Sh. Yasir, I am surprised about your sentiments on Sh. Abdul-Basit; I thought only uncles and FOBs (like I used to be ;) ), who didn’t really know any other Qaris except him, would just throw out his name to get into the conversation! Of course, there isn’t better Qari who makes each letter more prominent than him.

I guess I just share the common love for Sh. Al-Afasy… followed by Sh. Shatry. I found video recitation quite beautiful though and the accompanying English text very useful for non-Muslims.

4. Abu Noor Al-Irlandee

I know I am not alone in saying I love to hear Ustadh Muhammad AlShareef recite the Qur’an. I know he doesn’t really have a lot of it available, although you can find some online. Are there older or more well known reciters that he sounds like?

5. Ahmad AlFarsi

Assalaamu alaykum,

Is the link to the video recitation Qur’an? From the video it seemed like it was recitation of the words of ibn alQayyim… just asking for claification for myself inshaAllah.

Wassalaam.

Fixed, accidentally put wrong link-Amad

6. AnonyMouse

Oooh, and there’s someone else who’s Qur’an recitation makes me truly feel the beauty of it all – two ‘someone else’s, actually!

One is a Saudi sister who used to teach my mom Arabic language and was a tajweed teacher as well… subhan’Allah, her recitation was amazing!
    The second ‘someone else’ is actually a young girl… I forget how old she is – maybe 11 or 12 – and she’s originally from Oromo, doesn’t know Arabic language all that well, yet when she recites the Qur’an… subhan’Allah! I really don’t know how to describe it! The sweetest, clearest of voices, pronouncing each letter of every word, yet instead of being slow and halting it was well-paced and flowed smoothly and sweetly as chocolate cake icing. May Allah make her successful in her goal to become a haafidhatul-Qur’an, and grant her Jannah, ameen!

7. nuqtah

assalamu alaikum,

my favorite egyptian qari has to be Menshawi, other than that I like shaykh Ali Abdallah Jabir, Abdullah al matrood and a few others :)

(p.s. I really don’t understand what’s this abdul quddus guy’s agenda?)

8. Amad

Nuqtah bhai, relative to the other haters-apostates, Abdul-Quddus is decent and cordial in his interactions. His goal in life, unlike again a lot of the other apostates online, is not to make a killing monetarily or in popularity by thriving on what feeds Islamophobia. I don’t appreciate his views of course, but I appreciate his manners.

Also, I believe in my heart somthing about Abdul-Quddus… that in the wells of his heart, he still has a sparkle of Iman left. I can feel his longing for Iman and Islam… I can feel his desire to be among who he used to refer to as brothers and sisters. I can sense his longing for th words of Quran to fill his soul.

With all that is going on in the world, with cult mentalities among many Muslims, with misinterpretations and confusion around Allah’s Attributes, it becomes a little easier (though still very hard) to understand what can move a Muslim’s heart towards darkness.

I still have a lot of hope for Abdul Quddus… I hope he seeks people of knowledge to clarify his misunderstandings about Islamic theology… I hope and pray that Allah will return him back to our Ummah… and I ask all of you to pray for him as well.

P.S. Didn’t mean to hijack the topic of this post, so pls lets not drag this one….

9. nuh ibn zbigniew gondek

As salaam alaikum.

Just surfing through again.

You might remember me. Canadian Muslim writer, come by insha’Allah if you have some time to read or are looking for some dawah ideas.

Ma’as salaama,

nuh ibn

10. Hassan

Ok, I have to ask this, I only listened to the Egyptian Qaaris (Sh. Muhammad Siddeeq al-Manshawi, and Sheikh Abdul Baasit) very few times. Reason is that perhaps due to lack of my quranic knowledge, I did not get the way they recited. I mean they would repeat an ayah or part of an ayah again and again with some variation, and when they would stop, people would say subhan-Allah etc. I am sure their tajweed would be best, so I want to know what makes their recitation attractive to vast majority of people?

I personally like the recitation that is done in prayers, and ofcourse Sh Sudais and Shuraim are on top of my list. Their recitation is something I can listen to when driving and enjoy it.

11. bint Bashir

Salaams

One of the best sites i have found for Quran recitation is http://www.aswatalislam.net/ there are many recitors on there.

I have many favourites depending on my mood, one of my favourites has to be Mishary Rashid Al-Efasy, Mahmud Khalil al-Hussari is excellent for those of us learning, he is a great help to improve recitation and then there is Sheikh Abdur Rehman Sudais, what can i say his voice brings back so many memeories of my time in Makkah, causes my heart to melt.

Also if you dont mind me saying Sh. Yasir your recitation is beautiful ma sha Allah, really it softens my heart, may Allah shower His blessings on you, Ameen.

12. Reem

Salamualaikum,

Amu Yasir, There is a Shaikh i do quran muraja’a (revision) to, and I asked him does he know you, he said he did know you, his name is Shaikh Abdul-Hadi Shihatah, so i wanted to ask you do you really know him well or a little, cause next time you come you could meet him!

My favorite Qaris are Sa’ad Al-Ghamadi and Abu-Bakr Al-Shatiri and Shaikh Dimashqiah and Shaikh Waleed Basyouini and Shaikh Yasir Qadhi.

~Reem~

13. abdullah

You know whatever your talkaing about.

My 1st fave reciter is “Saadal Ghamidi”

And 2 is “Shaikh Abu Bakr bakhtir ”

And 3ird is “Shaikh Abdul hadi” (leader of taraweh in NewArk DE)

And third fave reciter is “Shaikh waleed B.” (leader of taraweh in Husten TX Clear lake city)

And 4rth is “Shaikh yasir Qadi”

And 5ifth is Shaikh al islam ibn taymiya…
    just joking

That’s cute… abdullah is 6, reem is 9… they belong to me :) -Amad

14. Yasir Qadhi

Amad: Yes, Sh. Dimashqiyyah’s recitation is absolutely marvelous; also he’s a great alim as well. As for Abd al-Basit Abd al-Samad, I too went through a phase where I thought the same, but I ‘re-discovered’ him a few years ago and truly appreciated his beauty then. No doubt he’s a bit ‘cliched’ because every household had his voice blaring in it, but that doesn’t mean he does not have quality.

Reem and Abdullah: ma sha Allah, keep up the good work!

Sr. bint Bashir: Jazaki Allah for your comments, they are very touching, although I am just a novice and in no way compare to the real mashayikh in this regard.

Abdul-Quddus: No I’ve never had that problem. After reading portions of your web-site, I’d like to remind you that the Quran is the eternal miracle of our Prophet, and of the miraculous aspects that form a part of the multi-faceted i’jaaz of the Quran is the effect that the original Arabic has on those who listen to it. There is nothing that causes the same influence on people – and how can the Quran *not* cause this effect when it is the actual speech of Allah Himself?

15. Yasir Qadhi

Al Musaafir: Out of the Imams of the haram, I love Sh. Sudais and Sh. Ali Jaber, but I think that’s because I have very sweet childhood memories of praying behind them throughout the 80′s. Yes, Sh. Shuraim is superb as well. AbdulAzeez Al Ahmed is one of those who really should be more popular, I love his style.

There are dozens and dozens of really good qurra – another that comes to mind is Sh. Tarabulsi of Lebanon (I can’t seem to find his recitation online?). The most important thing is to find an expert whom you like and then listen to him as much as possible. Once you become addicted to the Quran, NOTHING can take its place. As Ibn Mas`ud said, “The love of the Quran and the love of music cannot combine in the heart of a believer.” How true…

16. Editor

I was surprised my most favouritestestest recitor, Sa’d al-Ghamidi, wasn’t mentioned anywhere in the post and comments but alhamdulillah, trust children to have such exquisite taste! Kudos, Amad. This is one area I’d agree to your kids going “against” you.

I like Sameer al-Bashiree (from amongst the unmentioned) but there’re very few of his recitations up on the web. Here’s one sample:

What do you think of these recitors who’re originally nashid singers then? A good reciting voice is a given, but not necessarily clear tajweed. Al-Bashiree seems to excel at both though. As does Efasy but for him, it’s qari before munshid eh.

17. AnonyMouse

Editor – I’ve heard Sameer al-Bashiree’s anasheed, but didn’t know that he was also a recitor! Masha’Allah, his voice IS beautiful…

18. Bint Amina

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatu

Absolute favourite – Mishary al Afasy, his recitation penetrates the heart, mashaaAllah. Here’s a beautiful clip:

Recent Favorites (I could listen to these over and over, subhaanAllah):

Naasir Al Qatmee – Baqarah; 272-281: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjBuE4BcsnI

Muhammad Luhaydaan- Aali ‘Imraan; 166-175:

AbdurRahmaan Khottabi:

Wa Salamu Alaikum Assalam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatu

19. khawla hurayrah

Assalamu’alaikum
    Masha’Allah, my favorites are Abd Basit, Abdullah al Basfar and Sh Sa’ad al Ghaamidi. But still Sh Mishary al Fasy recitation helps me alot in my struggle to memorize by listening to his beautiful voice.

I also like Sh Yasir Birjas and Sr Hannah Gamal recitations. Not to forget the two famous Malaysian reciters that I also like and these two can make you cry easily. Try these samples:

Abdul Ghani Abdullah (Surah al-baqarah)

Ismail Hashim

May Allah has mercy on both of them. May Allah reward all the reciters with the best ranks in Jannah, Ameen

Courtesy to sister Samsiah who posted this in another post.

Sh. Yasir, I have not listen to your recitation yet but both my husband and I certainly love all your lectures. May Allah protect you and showers you and your family with lots of blessings. Ameen

khawla

20. abu ameerah

Whenever I hear the “Egyptian style”…I can help but get the urge to frequently exclaim “SUBHANALLAH” during each pause in recitation.

21. tahsinthree

JazakAllah khairan for all the websites.
    I began by listening to Sudais and Shuraim on tapes; then Minshawy on an internet website which disconitnued for some reason a couple of years back. I have not been able to access it again.
    Now my son is old enough and he introduced to me the recitations of al-Ghamdi and al-Afasy – Alhamdullilah.
    al-Afasy is wonderfully melodious and soothing to listen to in the car wherever you are – stuck in the traffic jam, out in the countryside, going to work and the masjid.

22. AmatulWadood

MashaAllah, jazakumAllahu khayran everyone for posting the links.

Besides the qurra that everyone already mentioned, I personally love Tawfiq as-Sawaa’igh, http://audio.islamicnetwork.com/quran.php?reciterId=23
    I think his voice is very unique.

And I can’t forget to mention Safi Khan (imam of Dar-us-Salaam, MD) mashaAllah his recitation will soften your heart.

23. bintyaqub

Assalamu alaykum

the following poem just sums it up…

Where Would I Be Without The Quran?
    A Poem By Babar Ahmad
    Date: 21-Sep-2004
    By British Political Prisoner Babar Ahmad MX5383
    13th September 2004
    Where would I be without the Quran?
    Would I be guided? Would I be strong?
    Would I be protected from evil and wrong?
    Would I hear my Creator’s Words?
    Would I hear Him describe the birds?
    Would I know the stories of the old?
    Would I realise their worth in gold?
    Where would I be without the Quran?
    Would I find safety when others fear?
    Would I find peace whilst sitting here?
    Would I be happy when others are sad?
    Would I be protected from going mad?
    Would I be patient when things get tough?
    Would I be firm when the seas are rough?
    Where would I be without the Quran?
    Would I get to know the One above?
    Would I increase for him my love?
    Would I be aware of the Day to come?
    Would I value what is worthless to some?
    Would I be able to sleep at night?
    Would I be able to see with His light?
    Where would I be without the Quran?
    Would I have examples to follow?
    Would I rejoice when others are in sorrow?
    Would I have fear of the Burning Fire?
    Would I be at the bottom of the sea,
    And have hope, that one day, my Lord will release me?

24. Imran Rahim

Sheikh al Husary is simply unmatched in his tajweed. If anyone has studied tajweed and in particualr sifaat, listen out for the sifaat in his recitation. Timing also is just spot on, rahimahullah.

25. Brother Helal

What do people think of Shaikh salah bukhatir from Abu Dhabi UAE. I just love his voice.

Alhamdullah i have made a intention to improve my recitation by reciting the quran by listening to him. I am doing one complete recitation a month, ie one chapter a day. I have just completed one whole recitation in April. Please brothers and sisters make dua that i can do this for the rest of my life.

I need to improve my recitation as it is very poor due to not being taught the quran as it should have been when i was young. It is soo difficult finding a teacher to teach me tajweed but inshallah i will keep trying….

Please make Dua that Allah may make my voice as sweet as his – one day.

enjoy…..The best voice (in my humble opinion!)

Wassalm

26. tarek

salam alaykom….

my all time favourite recitor is abdul basit!!!! rahimullah …may allah grant him jannat al firdaws ameeeen thumma ameen..

i personally listen to quran only recited by him… to me nothing beats him, with his superb breath control, emphases on every letters… impeccable tajweed!!!! allahu akbar…

im that obessed with him…im seraching for more and more videos of him and audios… im loading them on my site..

27. uerlia

Salam2all.

Stumbled here while looking for downloads to Abdul Hadi Kanakiri Surah Ali-Imran recitation. First time that i came across someone sharing same liking for this qari. I like his clear strong recitation – continuously refreshing and enthralls one to listen in awe.

uerlia

28. Yus from the Nati

As’salaam’u’alaikum,

I came across this beautiful recitation by Murtad Bakour? It’s on Youtube…although the link is to a Burdah recitation? there’s no doubt that his voice is BEAUTIFUL. I have no experience in Tajweed though so maybe Shaikh Yasir can let me know. The website is:

29. Ismail Adebiyi

Salaam.

Can Uerlia or anyone else help please, I am trying to find download sources for Sheikh Abdul Haadi Kanakiri’s recitation in MP3 format. I did get it in real audio format form islamweb.net but my MP3 player can not recognise it. Or has anyone converted the real audio files to MP3 before ? What did you use and how was the output after conversion ?

Ismail

30. Muhammad Abdul Rauf

Asalam-o-Alykum warahmatullah,
    Muhtram mujhee Qari Sheikh Abdul Basit Sahib ki copmlet videos Quran pak cahaye?
    Waaly kum salam.

31. Mahin F Islam

I think one has to know tajweed rules to like Husary..I don’t know tajweed rules so when I used Husary to do hifdh..it was excruciatingly boring.

Anyways..my top 3 are(not mentioned by anyone)

1) Ibrahim Jibreen (his Suratul Maryam is sick!)
    2) Tawfiq As-Sayegh
    3) Ahmed Al-Ajmy

Muhammad IbnFaqih of AlMaghrib fame is pretty tight too..

32. someone

Assalamalaikum

Yasir Qadhi, your recitation of Surat Yusuf is my favourite Quran recitation! Truely rocks mashaallah.

33. Siraaj Muhammad

I’ve been recently getting more into Qur’aan recitations (and reciters). I always wondered why at every desi wedding we had these huffaadh kids reciting and elongating every syllable as far as it would go – they were copying Shaykh Abdul Basit =D

My favorite reciter right now is Muhammad al Haidan:

I LOVE listening to Surat al-Anfal. Very moving.

Siraaj

34. Bint Amina

Muhammad Al *Luhaydaan* – and mashaAllaah he’s amazing [and has become a recent favorite for many]; besides the clips already posted, here are some others:

Al Baqarah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bStiamV_arI

Aali Imraan:

Yusuf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixm3EgyePuQ

Surah Ar-Rahmaan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZdWsF9Af-Q&mode=related&search=

And there are many more available, walhamdulillah.

Wa Salamu Alaikum Wa RahmatullahiWa Barakatu

35. khadija

i can’t decide on a favorite.

i really like this one, not sure who it is:

36. Sis Shaykha

Asalaamu Alaaikum Wa Rahmatullah!

This post most certainly is a gem!

“One of the greatest blessings that the internet has brought me is the chance to view videos of famous qurra the world over, past and present. There is nothing in this world that brings more peace and serenity than reading the Quran or listening to its recitation”

I agree, masha’Allah we have the fastest access to practically every Qari in the world.
    And yes, there is nothing that brings more peace to the heart, than Quran! May Allah fill our hearts with the Quran, always! ameen

A great Quran link that comes to mind is quranreciters.com (or org) They have classic recitations, although i’m not particularly a fan of that category only, i like all reciters, all different types of styles-recitations, i’ve listened to so many Quran recitors, wallahi i haven’t come across one that i said “no this isn’t good”. :D

masha’Allah a really great blog, this is where you need to go to get the best recitations (you already posted this one though).

“I am always asked who my favorite qaris are; this is a matter of personal choice, and each person will undoubtedly have his or her preferences.”

Masha’Allah nice favorites! Mahmood Husary is really good, i agree. I see that many lecturers use his recitation (in the new CD series), and masha’Allah it just lights your heart how he recites it.

My personal favorites though are:

-Mishary Rashid–masha’Allah he has a beautiful voice
    -Saad Al Ghamidi
    -Abu Bakr Ash Shatery
    -Nassir al Qitami!!!
    -Sudais & Shuraim
    -Ali Jaber & Hudaiyfi
    -AbdulBasit of course!

Here is one that is “unknown”: Qari Zakah Ullah Khan:

Here is his recitation of Surah Al Jinn:

Some other favorites are Qari Sadaqat Ali, Muhammad Lihayideen (sp??), Muhammad Jibreel, Samer Al Omran (listen to Al Furqan recited by him).

And lastly Sheikh Syed Ramadan. :D

sorry for the length, like I said, i like them all!

jazaakAllah Khair for the post Sheikh,

Wa’alaykum Asalaam

37. AbdulHasib

Shaykh Subayyil hafidhullah.
    93 years of Taqwa in his recitation subhanAllah..
    He’s been leading in the haram since before 1398 (we’re in the year 1428).

You can to listen to the recitation of the Masjid al Haram years 1398 here: http://www.mazameer.com/modules.php?name=Sounds&l_op=viewShikh&id=97

Salah Budair and Shuraim for Fajr.

Hussayn aal ash Shaykh for Maghrib

Tajweed:
    Ayyoub
    Hosari
    Huthaify
    ‘AbdulBaset

Mohammed Ayyoub (his recitation in tarawih especially).. once you get hooked .. masha’aAllah.

38. UAS

Sh. Muhammad Siddeeq al-Manshawi and Abdullah Al Basfar rock my heart…subhanAllah; in my Top 5

39. Salafisticated

Asalamu alaikum;

Sheikh Siddiq Menshawy is the man. Listening to him is like riding a roller coaster. Check this out:
    Forward to 15:00 and listen up till 30:00

Sheikh Ramadan el Sabbagh is real nice too, he was the imam at our Masjid in NJ:

Also people think im crazy but I think this guy is one of the best recitors ever, (also an imam at our masjid in NJ):

Shiekh Waleed Atef

the ones towards the end are good like for example sura Insan…

what do u guys think?

40. Abu Muslim

Asalamu3alykum wa ra7matullah

subhan’Allah I also have this “hobby” of listening to different qura but alhamdulilah I guess that is a god thing that one loves to listen to the kalam of Allah

Personally, my favourite quraa are Salaah Bukhatir and Mohammed al 7aydan. It was Salah Bukhatir for a good while, just out of pure tranquility his recitation gives masha’Allah

But then I heard Mohammed Al7aydan Surah Imran and Surah Yusuf and then his Qiyammah and subhan’Allah he shot right up there. The emotion and conviction he recites the Quran with makes your heart tremble.

Salah Bukhatir and Mohammed alhaidan high quality CD reciations can be downladed from:

*smiles*

41. Sunie Nizami

Assalamo Allaekum,

Sheikh Yasir! I particularly love Sheikh Taruuti’s recitation which you posted. I feel he is a much better Qari than Hindawi, especially because of the power in his voice and ability to insert emotion (even though he is not as recognized as Hindawi).

His recitation of Taha makes you feel like you are IN the sacred valley of Tuwa. I have heard his other recording, but this is one is truly divine and brings much Sakinah. I wish I can find more like it (can anyone help?). I am particularly impressed by his show of two emotions in reciting the verse in which Musa(as) explains what he does with his staff [in shock vs. tranquil]

However, I do have a question (and I am hesitant to bring it up). Is this style of gathering, in which there seems to be a sort of “party” taking place, permissible? Rather, what is the best etiquette for listening to a Sheikh reciting the Quran?

42. Br. Bilal

This is a nice thread, however I haven’t seen anybody comment on quranvoice.com. A really nice site for Egyptian Qurra (from the ol school)!!!

Anyways, this is a really nice sight for audio and video. Not to mention, they also have a nice ‘ibtihalat’ section as well.

Check it out, you’ll like it!

Br. Bilal

43. Salman Syed

salam alaikum,

Shaykh Sahal bin Zayn Yaseen is not very famous but I grew up praying behind him in Jeddah. Currently he’s the Imam of Masjid Prince Sultan. He was initially a student of Shaykh Abdullah Basfar (about whom Shaykh Yasir has mentioned that he has perfect tajweed) but he got his ijaza from Shaykh Ayman Suwaid, who is also the teacher of Shaykh Basfar and Shaykh Shatree.

Shaykh Yaseen’s recitation is crystal clear and his tajweed is excellent, unlike many modern qurra from Saudi.

here’s are his links:

44. Safa

Bismillah.

One of my newest favorites is الشيخ ماهر المعيقلي an imam of Al-haramain.
    You can listen to his recitations at: http://www.almuaiqly.com

Mashallah I like that khushoo’ in his voice……. Allay yehfatho.

45. Haris

As-salam ‘alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh!

My choices: Minshaway, I started learning tajweed with his recitations, and seems like it helped a lot. Al-’Afasy and Sa’d Al-Ghamidi have nice voices, Shuraim and Sudays – thumbs up. Hani Ar-Rifa’i has a voice that makes you cry (and his voice is such as well)

btw: When are we going to hear a reciations by shaykh Yasir? :D

46. z

salam.
    i love khalid al-jalil’s recitation. there are very few online recitations from him. just youtube him.
    i’m exploring other qurra’ as well.

47. Egyptian Reciters « Tayyibaat

[...] slow and measured tone, and not to mention most of these reciters have perfect tajweed mashaAllah. Yasir Qadhi says the Egyptian style is “characterized by a very strong emphasis on the pronunciation of [...]

48. Afia bint arif

Assalamua laykum

assalamualaikum . i don’t know if this post reaches this site because i am not a member yet.
    recent favorites are alafasy and shaikh yasir qadhi from the videos of tafseer of surah yusuf!!

make dua for me and all muslims

wassalam
    Afia

• Ahmad Imran

I so want to add this, even though this comment is four years old.

I just listened to Sheikh Yasir Qadhi’s tafseer of Surah Yusuf. I can’t really help but express the same sentiments. His Qir’aat is Masha’Allah AMAZING!!! Allah has blessed him for sure!!

49. Ninja

yasir qadhi’s tajweed is not PERFECT who are you to judge the kahleejis and say they make mistakes here and there , look at yourself first every letter has a ghunnah!!!! Khaleejis are the best!!!! egyptians have good tajweed but they can put you to sleep!

50. sajid Khan

Brother Yasir Qadi!
    Is it possible that you send me power point slides from tajweed class.

51. Salman

Assalam ualaykum

Nice post mashaaAllah gave me many new qaris to listen too :)
    Any one wanting audios checout this site http://www.mp3quran.net
    I found almost every qari mentioned on this page here
    Very nice compilation of recitations
    My favorites are
    Muaiqely, Budair, Sudais and hudhaify and my big brother
    and anyone who recites clearly, beautifully, emotionally ,
    every one above thanks for sharing your favorites

52. Mehrunnisa

Asalamu-alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh!
    This post…is awesome!!!
    Sheikh Yasir i agree with you completely..once you get addicted..hooked to the Quran, nothing can everrr take its place!
    The words of Allah(swt) have absolutely no comparison!
    Okay so there is this Qari named Nasir al Qatami…he’s not very famous but he was imam of a masjid in Riyadh..thats all i know!:)
    He might make the occassional mistake but otherwise, his qiraat is beautiful because he recites with sooo much feeling!
    This is part of Surah Yusuf by Nasir al Qatami: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URsXBziYzUw&feature=channel
    And this is Surah Maryam..only the first 15 seconds are clear though! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4CWiAkNgWU&feature=channel_page
    Sheikh Ali Jaber, Mishary Alafasy, Sheikh Sudais are some of my favorites!
    One of Sheikh Ali Jaber’s best recitations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bxEsAKV37c&feature=PlayList&p=CC1E90DD5F46A2C5&index=199 (really old video but still awesomee!)
    One of my favorites by Mishary Alafasy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bpowj_VPSs (gets you right in the heart..really really good towards the end)

There’s Sheikh Salman Utaybi! his recitation of Surah Nur is beautifulllll!!!!!!!! —-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-PlWaS-tDg

I really like Sheikh Salah Budair!—-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsgiuJnf7eg

And of course…then there’s YOU Sheikh Yasir! You’re recitation is beautifulllll mashaAllah! Heard it in the tajweed classes! :)
    Sheikh Husary’s recitation is AWESOME i agree!
    I think i’m forgetting someone…will let you know when i remember!

JazakAllah Khair for this post!

53. Sufyan

Asalamu alaikum,

Brother Yasir, Jazakallah khair for the advice. I am trying Abd al-Hadi Kanakiri to help me memorize Qur’an with correct tajweed. Also, I record your Seerah series from PeaceTV online and post it to youtube. I find it very difficult to get repeats of the series and I have missed quite a few, I was wondering if you know where I can find previous episodes, such as ‘The Revelation’ etc.. which would be good for Muslims and Non-Muslims to understand the Message well?

Jazakalla khair.

54. mohammed haaris

assalamualikum warahmatullahi wabarkatuhu,

bhai log agar kisi ke paas ali abdullah al jaber,ki taraweeh padeh so information hai tho boliye mereku aur iss email pe bhejiye

haaris_raheem@yahoo.com

• Muhtadii

Wa Alaikum Salam
      Brother it is Sheikh Muhammad Ayyub, Imam Masjid Nabawi, Madina. His recitations are easily available online :) Wa Salaam

55. Idrees

I love this post by Shaykh Yasir … I’ve reposted an excerpt on my blog (http://www.ReciteinTune.com). Shaykh Yasir’s comment re: Shaykhs Minshawi and Abdul Basit that they bring out the inner beauty of the Quran is especially interesting … it’s as though the Quran has this inner treasure/beauty that’s brought out by a reciter with a beautiful voice. I personally wish we had in the west many more reciters who could recite beautifully and bring out the meaning through their voice.

Oh, and the follow blindly comment is also pretty funny :)

The “unique fluctuations” that Shaykh Yasir described the Egyptian mujawwad Qurra as having, and the “musical” tunes that he described the Khaleeji murattal qurra as having are known as the maqamat … which are essentially the melodies/tunes that are commonly used in Quranic recitation. Some of the khaleeji reciters tend more towards maqam kurd and maqam ajam … I believe that’s what Shaykh Yasir is referring to.

I’ve written an intro article to the maqamat on my blog

56. Umar

1. Minshawi – specifically the “mujawad” style he does.
    2. Husary – been brought up with him. Know his voice as though he’s a sibling!
    In no particular order:
    abdul basit, sudais, shuraim, shatri, tawfeeq sayyegh, juhany, and interestingly I find yasir qadhi’s recitations quite unique… Only 3 or 4 online though.
    There’s also this qari – imam Faisal – who has only a handful of recorded recitations, but when he’s “on form,” so to speak, is one of the top!
    There is this English speaking qari – wisam sharieff, whom I recently found out – he has a series of lessons, but few actual reciations.
    Muhammad alsharieff’s voice is really soothing – has anyone else noticed the awesomeness of his “in speech” recitations.

57. Muhtadii

Assalam Alaikum,
    I have prepared a long list of quras but not to post it here :) But my current favourites are: Sheikh Ahmad Al-Ajmy, Sheikh Muhammad Ayyub & Sheikh Abd Allah Awwad Al-Juhany. BTW http://www.alihssen.com is also a good site besides others to find some famous reciters.
    Wassalam Alaikum

58. BM

My favorite recitors are:

01. Sheikh Saud Ibraheem Al-Shuraim. (unbeatable in my book)

02. Sheikh Abdur Rahman Al-Sudais

03. Sheikh Adel Al Kalbaani

04. Sheikh Salah Al Budair

05. Shiekh Abdullah Awwad Al Juhany

06. The egyptian imam of a local mosque.

The best duet in – Shuraim+Sudais

Also agree with Qadhis comment about not copying other’s recitation, but I am a big copycat unfortunately. I was enthralled by the recitation of Sudais and Shuraim when I was about 7-8 years old, and started copying them immediately. After so many years of practicing, I can now exactly recite like Sheikh Shuraim.

59. Reema YAhya

I Love Sheikh DR. Ayman Suwayd from Jeddah.. His recitation is perfect and he has awesome knowledge about the Quran.. MAy ALlah always bless him.. Anyone here know how to be his disciple??