Keys To Improve Your Marriage with Haleh Banani: Communication

An introduction to the series: Keys to Improve Your Marriage.

No matter what stage you are at in your marriage you can benefit from the information given by Haleh Banani who has her Masters in Clinical Psychology, with over 15 years experience giving marital and individual therapy. She will give you the necessary tools to improve your marriage by answering some of the most frequently asked questions.

Communicating with your spouse doesn’t have to be a boxing match with the couple throwing punches and defending themselves. In this video Haleh Banani will discuss the common communication problems and ways to counter them. She will give specific tools in improving the communication with your spouse.

Get more of our great articles.
12 / View Comments

12 responses to “Keys To Improve Your Marriage with Haleh Banani: Communication”

1. Saliha says:

Salam Dr. Banani,
    thanks for your talk. I wonder though about I statements. When people use them on me, I really find them just another form of passive aggression: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/cui-bono/201211/are-i-statements-better-you-statements

2. Saliha says:

as-salam alaykum Dr. Banani; are you sure that I-statements are the answer? often they can just make things worse, in my experience. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/cui-bono/201211/are-i-statements-better-you-statements

3. Sharmeen says:

MashaAllah your wise words amazed me Dr. Haleh Banani. I’m not married yet but will definitely keep them in my mind and my sisters can also be benefited by your words. May Allah bless you, you’re doing a great job.

*Name changed by Comments Team as advertising is not allowed in the comments section*

4. ummrayhan says:

Asalam alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakahtuh. I think the I statement is meant in a different way. If trying to explain something that bothers you in a relationship you don’t want to hear “You make me feel like a loser”. You want to say it a bit like “When you say these things I feel like a loser/it makes me feel like a loser”. It’s meant to take the blame away. I statements in a CV or a MM piece come across as arrogant, true. But not if used wisely in a communication situation

5. Umm hadi says:

Jazakillahu Khair Sr. Very helpful and thoughtful.

6. As salamualaikum! I just watched the first and second videos in Dr. Banani’s series and have shared them with others. May Allah (swt) bless Dr. Banani and the Muslim Matters team for creating such a helpful video series for our ummah. I found the videos simple, easy to apply and amazingly useful, Mash’Allah.

7. Nova says:

Good advice except for one thing…some relationships are so engrained with years of pain and suffering not even therapy is going to save it. In fact the only hope is that both will realize the only way to salvage the family is to end the marriage. Sad but true.

8. Babar says:

An easy way to improve marriage – women should stop taunting, nagging, and trying to control their husbands. A man today has been reduced to an ATM, who must fulfill all the wishes of his wife, and then have her constantly complain, showing ingratitude after spending his money on shopping, clothes, sandals, constant visits to boutiques and beauty saloons, driving his car, living in his house, etc. Today, men are not seen as human beings, only women’s drivers, porters, and ATMs.

9. asma says:

Asalamualikum Sister,
    SubhanAllah very wise pointers. May Allah help us to act on these. Aameen!

10. Shailesh says:

Here is the best Free Muslim Matrimony website, you all will be delighted with it. visit now http://www.marryasunni.com