Link to Full Coverage of Dr. Aafia's Ordeal

by Andrew Purcell
Houston, Texas.

Ramadan 2011 or 1432. Whichever calendar you prefer does not change the fact that the new moon has been sighted, and Ramadan has begun. My healthy Muslim friends will be spending the daylight hours refraining from food and drink, and all of them will spend the month contemplating the good things God has provided. And, of course, they will be spending the month with family and friends, celebrating God's message to humanity as it was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad (SAW).

In any year there will be Muslims who are unable to celebrate with family and friends. Many of them tell stories of injustice and oppression that we as individuals can do nothing to correct. However, as individuals we can ease some of the suffering that others endure.

If you have managed to find this page, I don't need to repeat the story of Dr. Aafia. None of us can bring her home for Eid with her children and her mother. We cannot arrange a visit for her brother.

There is something you can do: send her a postcard. It doesn't have to be fancy.  Aafia is partial to nature scenes. You can't talk about her case, but there isn't that much room on a postcard, so any message would have to be short. All you really need to write is:

Dear Aafia,
We believe you. We are praying for you and your children and your mother.
Ramadan Mubarak.

It will take you longer to break your fast than it will to write this on a postcard and put a stamp on it, but the joy it will bring to Aafia will last longer than filling an empty stomach.

Aafia's address is:

FEDERAL MEDICAL CENTER
P.O. BOX 27137
FORT WORTH, TX  76127
USA

16 Responses

1. Mohammad

What if you want to send a post card from aboard, what is the full address?

Thanks

90279-054
    FMC CARSWELL
    FEDERAL MEDICAL CENTER
    P.O. BOX 27137
    FORT WORTH, TX  76127

• Hena Zuberi

We apologize about that- will have that fixed as soon as possible. May Allah bless her in this life and in the Akhirah. She has not still been able to visit with her brother – La hawla wala quwwata illah billah. ( There is no change or power except through Allah) Is she in touch with an attorney?

It was December when I last wrote about her. How many days and nights have gone by.

Thank you for this beautiful reminder, it is the least we can do aside from making sincere dua for her in the blessed nights of Ramadan.

3. amad

The greatest injustice to a human being that America has witnessed for a long time, in its own justice system, continues…

What a great idea… I hope inshallah a maximum number of us follow through.

4. Brother

Inshallah, may Allah give her patience and make this a blessed Ramadan for her and her family.

5. BintKhalil

Assalamu alaikum

May Allah bless sister Aafia and his family, and may He bless you, Andrew, for everything you are doing for her and her family.

6. Hannah T.

jazakAllah khair for putting the ease of this good deed at our fingertips! heading to the postoffice to drop off postcard! can we send cards as well or is there somekind of security restriction?

• Andrew Purcell

Aafia’s mail priveleges have been intermittent. Postcards seem to get through without much ado or delay. Cards and letters don’t seem to arrive as reliably.
      Thank you for your effort.

7. Regular Baba

Salam

Done. If a lazy, procrastinating git like me can do this, anyone can.

8. Umm'Asad

JazakALLAHU Khair for this, it’s really a wonderful idea.
    I have one question inshaAllah. Do I just go and buy any postcard, or do I print the one in the photo? Does it matter what kind of card it is? BarakAllahu feeki.

-umm Asad

• Andrew Purcell

Aafia will be grateful for any postcard. She is fond of nature scenes but it is receiving the card that is important. When you are being held in solitary confinement and forbidden contact with anyone, receiving mail is more meaningful than you can imagine.

• Umm'Asad

Wallah I understand that. I was merely asking because I wasn’t sure if they accepted any postcard. InshaALLAH, I will pick one up today and send it.

• Andrew Purcell

I apologize if my reply seemed abrupt. I did not intend that. Sometimes I do not choose my words as carefully as I ought to.

9. Brother Ai

Does anyone have the contact for sheikh Ali tamimi if we would like to write him as well?