كُلُّ نَفْسٍ ذَائِقَةُ الْمَوْتِ

Indeed all souls shall taste death

A few hours ago, I received a text message from a friend that one of my closest friends in Qatar, Khalid al-Malki, had passed away in an accident.

At first, I read the words “father of” (Khalid) into the message. Emotions have a strange way of clouding your vision. As my mind quickly jogged through ways I will send my condolences to Khalid for his father, I re-read the message and there was no “father of” in the text. I stood still. I was in disbelief. The same Khalid, who I had hugged 2 days ago at work before leaving for a vacation trip to Malaysia (from where I write)? The same Khalid whose bubbly personality lit up the entire workspace?

I quickly dialed another friend and he confirmed this tragic news. My heart dipped, my mood darkened and I just wanted to sit down right there, in the center of a Kuala Lumpur mall, and cry. But I collected my emotions, and relayed the news to my family. My wife couldn't believe what she was hearing (Khalid's family had come over to our place a few times so our families knew each other). I told her to continue with the kids, while I come back to the hotel as vacationing was the last thing on my mind at this time. It is as if I had lost one of my anchors in Qatar.

I came to the hotel and immediately sat down to write this. Dear readers, if you are wondering why I am sharing this personal story of the passing away of my friend, that is because you have to know Khalid. Khalid was no ordinary person. In my social and community circles, I have met hundreds of people and gotten know quite a few quite well. That comes with the territory of being active in da'wah circles. But Khalid wasn't your average person. He was special.

I first met Khalid in my first few days at work when he gave me the standard building tour in his capacity as the Healthy & Safety coordinator. As we started talking and I mentioned a few of the troubles I was having settling in Qatar, Khalid's eyes lit up. It was as if he reveled in helping people.

Before long, Khalid was running around with me, here and there, trying to get this and that sorted out. Every time I wanted to take Khalid out for lunch, just to reciprocate a little bit, he would have already made a deal with the restaurant people to take his money. He called this true Qatari style, I called it Khalid style. It was never about reciprocation for him. When I brought gifts for him from my travels, I had to convince him to accept it for friendship (which was also true), and not because I was paying him back. Indeed Khalid soon became more than just the go-to helper. In less than 2 years of knowing each other, we shared our problems and concerns, helping each other in self-improvement. When we became frustrated at work, we could count on each other for encouragement and patience… we both didn't want the other to leave!

Not long ago, I had a car accident, and the first person I called of course was Khalid. In fact, Khalid insisted to all he knew, esp. the expats who might have difficulty with Arabic, that if anyone got into any trouble, to call him. So, Khalid was there by my side on the accident scene in a jiffy and spent the next 3 hours of his busy life dealing with accident, the police and just being with me. I have lost count of how many times I called Khalid for help.

Truly, Khalid encompassed the spirit and actions of a true ansaar (the Arabic word for helper). It was as if he was a transplant from the times of the Prophet (S), from Madinah, the city to which the Prophet (S) migrated from Mecca and formed a bond between the people of Madinah and the migrants from Mecca… one Makkan for each Madinah resident. The hospitality shown by the people of Madinah became an unparalleled story of love, brotherhood and acceptance of immigrants, bonded only by faith. For Khalid, it was even beyond faith. His help did not depend on your being Muslim. He was an equal-opportunity ansaar.

Whenever I went out with Khalid, we'd almost certainly run into one or more of his friends on the road or at location. He was extremely popular and it was his generosity and kindness in his dealings with people that made him so. I should add that he was the wrong person to go shopping with, because he could sometimes become too sympathetic to the seller as well!

Khalid had completed his Hajj just last year alhamdulilah and he would impulsively drive off to umrah every so often.

Khalid leaves behind a wife and three beautiful little girls, the youngest an infant. He sometimes brought the older two to work and you could see that they were really daddy's girls. Ironically, he too was planning a trip to Malaysia this summer and had already made some reservations. Man plans and plans, yet it is Allah who is the Best Planner.

Death is indeed a strange thing. Everyone will experience it, yet everyone goes in disbelief when it happens to one close to us (see this post  “Tuesdays with Morrie” and our Death Denying Culture).

When I bid farewell to Khalid a couple of days ago, little did I know that this was the last time I was going to see him. I didn't just lose a friend, the world lost an ansaar and Qatar lost an exemplary citizen. There are some people in the world who mean so much to so many, that they probably don't even realize it themselves. They are the secret warriors, going about their daily dose of helping others without beating their chest about it.

Khalid had another passion, car racing. I had gone with him a couple of times to the track. It was this passion that took away his life, though all the details of his accident are unknown at the time of this writing. We cannot blame a lifestyle choice because truly the “how”, “where” and “when” of his death were written. But we can take heed from such incidents to remind us of how fragile our bodies are, and to make careful choices of what we engage in because while Allah is in charge of all affairs, the means we choose lead to the ends that Allah chooses.

It greatly pains me that I am not able to attend my friend's janazah (funeral), being thousands and thousands of miles away. But I know that there will be throngs of people there by his grave side, to pay homage to a great man, as his family and friends engage in the final rituals to return Khalid to His Lord.

I pray that Allah grants Khalid the highest paradise (jannatul firdaus) and raise him with the Ansaar of Madinah, and reunites us in Jannah. I pray that Allah give his family patience and gives them the fortitude to raise his three girls to become lights for the ummah.

If you are reading this and knew Khalid, you are welcome to leave your thoughts. Regardless, whether you knew him or not, please take a moment right now to make a quick prayer for Khalid and his family. I am going to miss you my friend!

___________________________________

Also, for those of you have been exposed to death, whether distantly or personally, feel free to share your thoughts and reactions.

I leave you with this small, comforting section from Tafsir ibn Kathir:

Allah issues a general and encompassing statement that every living soul shall taste death. In another statement, Allah said,

كُلُّ مَنْ عَلَيْهَا فَانٍ – وَيَبْقَى وَجْهُ رَبِّكَ ذُو الْجَلْـلِ وَالإِكْرَامِ

Whatsoever is on it (the earth) will perish. And the Face of your Lord full of majesty and honor will remain forever. [Qur'an 55:26,27]

Therefore, Allah Alone is the Ever-Living Who never dies, while the Jinn, mankind and angels, including those who carry Allah's Throne, shall die. The Irresistible One and Only, will alone remain for ever and ever, remaining Last, as He was the First. This ayah comforts all creation, since every soul that exists on the earth shall die. When the term of this life comes to an end and the sons of Adam no longer have any new generations, and thus this world ends, Allah will command that the Day of Resurrection commence. Allah will then recompense the creation for their deeds, whether minor or major, many or few, big or small. Surely, Allah will not deal unjustly with anyone, even the weight of an atom, and this is why He said,

وَإِنَّمَا تُوَفَّوْنَ أُجُورَكُمْ يَوْمَ الْقِيَـمَةِ

185. And only on the Day of Resurrection shall you be paid your wages in full

51 Responses

1. Amad

Sometimes you don’t realize how much you care about a friend until something like this happens… He was a few years younger to me too…

2. abu Rumay-s.a.

inna lillaahi wa inna elayhi raji`oon….May Allah ta`ala accept him amongst his beloved servants and ease your sorrows of losing a dear friend. ameen. I pray that Allah makes it easy for his family…ameen..

3. DiscoMaulvi

Verily to Allah belongs what He too and to Him belongs what He gave, and everything with Him has an appointed time.

Two Fridays back, around 2.30 pm Pakistan time, I was standing inside a grave laying to rest my father-in-law. 16 hours prior to that I had received the news of his passing away. No major illness, he just collapsed and was gone. Your post brought back memories of him (may Allah (SWT) forgive him and have mercy on him).

May Allah (SWT) forgive your friend, make his questioning easier and have mercy on his soul. May He make this loss easy to bear for you and the family of the deceased and grant him the highest levels of Jannat-ul-Firdous. May He enable us to reflect on our own lives and certain death and to prepare for it. Aameen

-Aly

4. Asmaa

May Allaah have mercy upon your friend and grant him the best of His forgiveness..

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

5. Amatullah

inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji’oon. SubhanAllah br Amad, I just lost a family member today as well. may Allah have mercy on them both and grant them Firdaws. All I keep thinking about is that she died on a Friday, inshaAllah a sign of her good end.

There is a hadith (although it’s authenticity is differed upon) that says, “the best of people are those who most beneficial to others.’ It seems your friend embodied this, and may Allah ta’ala reward him greatly for it.

The Prophet (alayhi salaatu wa salaam) said that death is a relief for the believer, so may Allah make their deaths a relief for them.

6. life is a test

Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh…

Inna lillaahi wa inna ilaihi raji’oon!!

SubhanaAllah…i just cant believe how we forget this reality and go on with our lives as if it’s forever even though in theory we do believe in death….

May Allah the Most Compassionate, Most Forgiving, Most Noble grant brother Khalid Jannatul firdous and make him firm in his grave and answer the questions correctly…

May Allah, Most High grant sabr and strength to his family and his beloved ones…

InshaAllah brother Amad, if you and those who know Khalid will tell about his good, it will be something good for him inshaAllah..

Narrated Abu Al-Aswad: I came to Medina when an epidemic had broken out. While I was sitting with ‘Umar bin Al-Khattab a funeral procession passed by and the people praised the deceased. ‘Umar said, “It has been affirmed to him.” And another funeral procession passed by and the people praised the deceased. ‘Umar said, “It has been affirmed to him.” A third (funeral procession) passed by and the people spoke badly of the deceased. He said, “It has been affirmed to him.” I (Abu Al-Aswad) asked, “O chief of the believers! What has been affirmed?” He replied, “I said the same as the Prophet had said, that is: if four persons testify the piety of a Muslim, Allah will grant him Paradise.” We asked, “If three persons testify his piety?” He (the Prophet) replied, “Even three.” Then we asked, “If two?” He replied, “Even two.” We did not ask him regarding one witness. (Sahih Bukhari)

7. Mariam E.

Asalamu Alikum

To Allah belongs what He takes and to Him belongs what He gives, and there is a set time by Him for everything.

May Allah have mercy on him and grant him Al-Firdous and all the Muslims. May Allah grant his family and friends patience.

8. Noyan

SubhanAllah, what can I say?

Very similar story with me…since the day I arrived here in doha, khalid has been going out of his way to help me out, making calls on my behalf, taking me to the traffic dept to get my drivers license.

Good luck ever trying to do something in return (like a thank you lunch) he would just beat you to it. Im reading some of his old text messages, and he replied to me in one of them & said favors need not be mentioned and these things were done “between brothers”

I was looking for a phone number this morning in my cell, and saw his number in my last 10 call log. We were just laughing, talking about stupid stuff, he was just fun to talk to and be around.

We really lost a great guy mashallah, inna lilahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon. May Allah bless and his family with jannah and raise him aong the righteous.

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

9. Nauman

sorry to hear of your loss and thanks for this write up as the constant reminder

10. Abu_Isa

inna Lillahi wa inna ilahi rajioon..

Sabrun Jameel inshAllah to the family and friends of the deceased.

11. sisterS

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhir rajioon. May Allah be pleased with him. ameen. Last weekend my best frined’s grandfather died (of cancer). I was there by his death bed. It was the first death I witnessed in my adult life. It really shooked me, and made me to think about life a whole lot. We are all passing by, all musafirs (guests). May Allah make our journey easy, and with belief. I hope you can visit them soon InshaAllah. I was there for my best friend and it made a difference for her.

12. Jeremiah

inna lillaahi wa inna ilayhi raji`un. May Allah make this easy for his family and friends and give him the best of jannah. I have experienced this, inshAllah you will be re-united in jannah.

13. Kanika Aggarwal

inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji’oon. may Allah make his grave filled with light and his questioning easy. may Allah grant him jannatul firdous and may Allah grant comfort to his family and friends ameen ya rabb.

14. LearningArabic

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon

Thank you Br. Amad for sharing this article.

This is a reminder that I really needed in my life.

May Allah grant Khalid Jannat-ul-Firdaus

15. Amad

jazakumAllah khair everyone… ur words and dua’s are very meaningful.
    Every time I think of Khalid, its a sinking feeling. I dread seeing his empty chair at work when I return.

I forgot to mention that another quality that Khalid had was that he was a “straight-shooter”. He minced no words so you knew exactly where you belonged. This got him into a bit of PC trouble sometimes, but for him there was no casualty of truth.

His family was of Yemeni origin and having known many Yemenis in my life, I think the hospitality definitely had something to do with that.

May Allah fill his grave with noor… the janaza is tomorrow at 1140 am (dhuhr prayer time) at the Abu Hamour cemetery.

• The Shardul of Allah

Really sorry to hear this news. Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi rajiun. . May Allah bless your friend with Jannah Al Ferdous.

Just would like to share my thoughts about Abu Hamour graveyard. This is the biggest graveyard in Qatar. I visited this graveyard in 2006. That was also the first time I have ever visited a graveyard. One of our high school friends had died in a car accident just a day before Eid Al Adha. His funeral prayer was scheduled on the day following Eid. We prayed over him after Asr. The Abu Hamour cemetery mosque is very small and most of us had to pray outside the mosque. Then we entered the cemetery carrying his body. I was already sad at the loss of one of our school friends, but soon after I saw the lines of graves, an inexplicable feeling overwhelmed me. It was a feeling of fear, helplessness, and depression. I just felt that our brothers and sisters in the grave were trying to say something to us, and we just do not understand it. We kept proceeding, and after about 15 minutes we arrived at the grave that had been dug for our friend. We lowered his body in the grave, and placed him properly. In Qatar, the graves are of lahd (niche) type. The side opening of our friend’s grave was then covered with concrete plates. Finally, we put soil over the grave.

During my visit, my maternal uncle (my mom’s younger brother) was suffering from liver cancer, and the doctor had told us that he had only one or two days to survive. I was therefore had very hard time thinking that a man who played cricket with us just three months ago will be a member of this grave community in a few days. It was such a hard feeling for me that I actually became ill after this visit to the graveyard. And my uncle died exactly two days after my visit, and my illness worsened. I had sleep disorder for about a month and a half. But alhamdullillah, slowly I recovered.

Indeed, soon or sooner we all will become members of the grave community. I pray to Allah that He help us remember this ultimate truth in our mind all the time and prepare accordingly.

16. Hena Zuberi

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon. May Allah grant him Jannatul Firdaus. My heart goes out to his wife and little girls- may Allah give them Sabr and give them and you too Brother Amad.

When someone around our age dies this verse by an Urdu poet- by Azeez al Hasan comes to my mind and reminds me of my own mortality:

Jab is bazm say uth gaye dost aksar
    aur uthtey chale ja rahey hain barabar
    yeh har waqt peysh nazr hai jab manzar
    yahan per tera dil behlta hai kyoon kar
    roughly translate in English

When friends leave this (worldly) gathering often
    and continue to leave
    This scene replays from your vantage point every moment
    so why does the life (of the world) entertain you

Your friend sounds like a true ansar-blessed are those who have real friends in this shallow world.
    Salams

p.s. Junaid Jamshed sang a version of this as well.

17. iMuslim

Salam

I didn’t know Khalid, but your words make me want to know him. Masha’Allah. May Allah reunite you as brothers in Al-Firdaus, ameen.

18. alawiyah ahmad

Salamun’alaikum Bro. Amad,
    May ALLAH give him Mercy and Forgive him…
    Subhanallah….that is why we should treat every person we meet the best as we can,
    You are now in Malaysia? Ya salam..have a good time…here! May ALLAH protect you and your family,
    wassalamu’alaikum warahmatullah.

-Kuala Lumpur-
    MALAYSIA

19. Good Reminder

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon.

Good reminder mashAllah. My eyes filled up with tears. May Allah bless him with Jannah Al Ferdous, and his family and you with patience. Ameen

20. Ameera Khan

Inna lillaahi wa innaa inlayhi raaji’oon!

Thank you so much for writing this, Br Amad… it was only after I read your description of Khalid that I truly understood what it must mean to you… and I can imagine how difficult it must be for you, and for all who knew Khalid, to cope with his passing away. May Allah grant him the highest honors in Jannah for his good conduct and going out of his way for others… ameen.

I’m also thankful you wrote this because it reminds us, who’re still in this world, the value of good conduct and helping people… may Allah enable us to improve and take heed from the reminders He sends us, ameen.

21. Cartoon M

May Allah give him jannah and an easy judgement.

I had the same feeling of disbelief when a friend of mine died. At first I thought it was his brother until I reread it. It is so true that Allah takes who He pleases, when He pleases.

May Allah give us the good qualities which Khalid embodied.

22. AnonyMouse

Innaa lillaahi wa innaa ilayhi raaji’oom.

The unsung Muslim heroes of our Ummah are only recognized and missed after they have gone. Let this be a lesson to us all to recognize and appreciate those special people in this great family of ours called the Ummah, while they are with us and before they have left.

May Allah have mercy on Khalid, his family, his friends, and the entire Ummah, ameen.

23. Alex

May God rest his soul
    الله يرحمه

24. Sister

Truly, to Allah we belong and truly, to Him we shall return.May Allah accept all his good deeds and reward him more and more in the hereafter.May Allah bless his family with strong imaan to get thru this difficult time.Loosing someone close to us always leaves us with deep pain in the heart.I lost my mom in car accident.When I heard the news , I was so worried about her condition in the grave..Alhamdulillah she always prayed for a good ending.Then why she died in a car accident? When I look back she was traveling to take care of her dad who was sick .The hadith about the reward of visiting sick gave me so much comfort .Alhamdulillah ala kulli haal.Jazakumallahu khairaan for sharing..Our dua for your family and your friends family.

25. Amad

I heard the janazah prayer was packed… hundreds of people were there. Another sign inshallah of his good akhira inshallah.

Very sad that I could not be there… Inshallah, we shall meet again… may Allah grant both of us that opportunity in jannah.

26. Hayat

“O Allah! Forgive Khalid, elevate his status among the guided people and look after the family that he left behind. O Lord of the universe! Forgive us and him, comfort him in his grave and lighten his stay in the grave.

27. sukhy

just as he wished me WELCOME to his team and just the same day he bid me farewell for good .. my last words see u on sunday and guess that will not happen ,,, i am so lost of words and nothing seems good enough to describe him and his cheerfulness ,,,,, all i can say now is MAy god bless his soul and may Khalid rest in peace for iternity ,,, for all the people lives he may have touched and inspired ,,may God bless his kind soul

28. MUSLIMa

A well-written article that makes us realize to feel blessed around loved ones, and what happens, happens in Allah’s cause. Bless all our lost, loved ones!!!

29. mms

inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji’oon

May Allah have Mercy on him, elevate his status in Jannah amin

May Allah Help his wife and children aamin

30. Khalid Darwish

May allah forgive him and rest his soul in peace, Khalid was my friend since the secondery school, he was like a naughty kid ya but such a loveable person as all agree, he does not hold any grudge in his heart,

My last conversion with him was in Black-Berry messenger making some jokes.

We will indeed miss him, May Allah have Mercy on him and grant both of us that Al- jannah.

اللهم اجعل قبره روضة من رياض الجنه , ولا تجعلها حفرة من حفر النار

• Amad

You are right Khalid D.,
      Khalid M. was a lot of fun to be around. I still have a photo of him when I put a CD on his ghutrah and he didn’t notice it was there for a long time and he just had a good laugh about it!

31. Jason

Shock, disbelief and great saddness came over me with this news. As all have testified Khalid is a friend in need and a friend indeed. To Khalid, it didn’t matter what your faith, creed or colour, he loved all mankind and was rewarded from the help he gave and respect and love he received from giving it.

Like so many recounts given, Khalid was there to help me integrate into Qatar and find my way around. Like so many others it seems, after a car accident Khalid was there to show me the way. But not just when I needed help. He was always there. He clearly served God’s pupose and enjoyed and celebrated that. God sends his children out in the world to give love, peace and help all mankind. Khalid did just that and now God has chosen him to come home.

I’ll miss you Khalid, your bright smile, your liveley persona and your honesty to the end. Rest in peace.

• Amad

Yup Jason… Equal opportunity friend!
      On the beverly hill 5 street, he had 6 friends, atleast 5 of whom owed him many favors!
      That includes 2 Christians, 1 hindu! Genuine care for humanity.

32. Asma

May God bless his Soul.. he was a brother to us.. like you Amad, I received a message in the morning and I don’t know how I thought it is his father who passed away..I have passed by his department this morning and it is so empty, sad and it seems darker than usual.
    May God the Mercy grant him Al Jannah and give patience to his family..

33. Adnan

Known Khalid for almost 3 years, may Allah help him in his onward Journey. A life soo precious goes soo fast.

34. Sayed Ali

Khalid was a great personality. I know him since we moved to Al Maha building….
    I still don’t believe that he is no more with us. I saw him on 31.03.2011 (Thursday night near TV roundabout) in his Landcruiser. Thought to stop him and say hi but he took right and went and i went my way.

May Allah grand him place in Jannah and forgave his sins, give courage to his family members.

I feel sorry for his 3 little angles… May Allah bless them.

35. Aadil

Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilayhi Rajioon
    May Allah forgive all his sins and accept all his good deeds and admit him to Jannatul Firdaus.
    Subhanallah, I don’t even know who he was but I just had goosebumps reading through this. I guess that’s what the thought of death and the end of this luxurious life does to us…May Allah help us to become better muslims and forgive us for our shortcomings. Ameen Ya Rubb.

36. hamid

Salamunalaikum!

To the family of brother Khalid:

Bismillah!

Indeed Strange is the Visa of our life, It gets cancelled at anytime, its duration of validity is unknown and its extension too is impossible.

To him belongs what he takes and to him belongs what he gives and there is a set time by him for everything.Surely our souls,wealth and families are gifts which he has loaned to us so that we may take benefit from them for a set period.He takes away after the termination of that period.Thus gratitude becomes binding on us when he gives and patience becomes obligatory when he takes away.Whatever is to happen is set to happen.

Indeed the one you lost was not your provider,the one who provides for you is ever living and never dying.Indeed when Allah(swt) created the world he also decreed destruction for it and death for its inhabitants.

Good people come and go in our life.It dosen’t matter how long they lived but what matters at the end is how well they lived and left.They died but thier love didn’t and it won’t.What remains with us is thier work, words Love and memories.So let’s too live our life (forward) and leave our legacy (behind).

May ALLAH give you all pure patience to endure the loss and reward you with something better as a recompense.May ALLAH fill his grave with light and rest his soul in peace and raise him among the righteous ones.A’meen!!!

37. zari

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajiun. Your friend Khalid’s character in the light of the ‘dunya’ aspects of Sh. Yasir’s latest qutbah (up on Muslimmatters) really gives an insight about what a Muslim shoud be like. May Allah ta’ala bless him and his family with Jannatulfirdaus

38. Haleh

Assalamo Alaikom Brother Amad,

I’m sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like Khalid’s death is a loss for a lot of people. May Allah grant him the hightest level of jannah without reckoning and provide his wife and 3 girls the strength, support and patience to carry on.

I pray that we can all get lessons from this touching story you have shared. First, none of us know how long we have to live so we really have to put effort to live the most righteous life, exert all our effort to pleasing our creator and invest in the hereafter. Second, we need to always leave a positive impact on every person we come in contact with – especially those nearest to us because it may be the last time we see them.

A friend and family member who was only 33 just died after battling cancer for a few years and it is a very sobering experience – it put everything into perspective and it made me feel grateful that i still have the chance to fill my book with good deeds the way she did.

Have a safe trip back
    Haleh

39. Roger

Amad,

Khalid was a friend of mina as well, and I thank you for sharing this. I wish you condolences, and appreciate your very fond memories.

40. ahlam

May Allah forgive his sins,pardon him and enter him into paradise along with the righteous,martyrs Prophets and Truthful ones and replace the loss of his loved ones with jannah, Ameen.

41. Safa

Inna lil Allah wa enna elayhi Rajeoon. May Allah keep his family and friends steadfast and grant them enormous ajr for this trial. We ask Allah to have mercy on him and all of our Muslim brothers and sisters, and reward his ihsaan and forgive his shortcomings/sins. May Allah shower us with his mercy when our life’s journey has ended.

وَلَنَبْلُوَنَّكُمْ بِشَيْءٍ مِّنَ الْخَوفْ وَالْجُوعِ وَنَقْصٍ مِّنَ الأَمَوَالِ وَالأنفُسِ وَالثَّمَرَاتِ وَبَشِّرِ الصَّابِرِينَ
    الَّذِينَ إِذَا أَصَابَتْهُم مُّصِيبَةٌ قَالُواْ إِنَّا لِلّهِ وَإِنَّـا إِلَيْهِ رَاجِعونَ
    أُولَـئِكَ عَلَيْهِمْ صَلَوَاتٌ مِّن رَّبِّهِمْ وَرَحْمَةٌ وَأُولَـئِكَ هُمُ الْمُهْتَدُونَ
    2:157-2:155

42. Tariq Ahmed

Inna lillahi wa inna alayhi rajioon. And for all of his friends and family, Allahumm ajurkum fee museebatikum, wakhlufkum khayram minhaa.