A Photographic Window into IlmFest 2008

Br. Nihal Khan did an awesome job for MM readers in capturing some great moments from the hugely successful IlmFest 2008 event, which attracted nearly a thousand participants mashallah!

Enjoy…

Get more of our great articles.
33 / View Comments

33 responses to “A Photographic Window into IlmFest 2008”

1. ibnabeeomar says:

If anyone has some solid recaps of the event, please email us at info //at// muslimmatters.org

2. AnonyMouse says:

Masha’Allah tabaarakAllah! Wish I was there… *Sighs*
    Bint YQ is adorable, masha’Allah! :D

3. kd says:

I was only able to attend Saturday’s lectures, and mashaAllah they were awesome! Lookin through the pics, can’t help but feel a bit jealous about not being there on Sunday…AND….not being a part of the backstage advice! What happened to gender equality? Sisters miss all the fun… :(

4. sarsoora says:

MashaAllah … this event was very powerful… the tribute to Imam Siraj Wahhaj brought tears to my eyes…. and if that wasn’t enough, so did his lecture that followed…. MashaAllah…. May Allah reward him as well of all the other Shyookh for all of their efforts inshaAllah

5. Faiez says:

Masha’Allah, looks exciting. I hope ILMQuest releases the recordings of the lectures soon.

6. Amad says:

apparently, Shaykh Yasir Qadhi made another revolutionary speech … soon we’ll be calling him Martin Yasir King. :)

7. ibnabeeomar says:

i heard there were CD’s being sold at the event with the talks recorded but they ran out.

8. Abdul-Alim says:

I was not aware that AlMaghrib have a Qabeelat in Philly.

9. ibnabeeomar says:

abdul-alim – it was a long time ago when almaghrib first started. it’s not a qabeelah anymore.

10. Sadaf Sheikh says:

Assalamu’alaykum warahamatullahi wabarakatuhu

Alhamdulillaah i had a great time in Ilmfest and have learned a lot. I just have a quick question for Shaykh Yasir Qadhi about the book he mentioned written by Wallas de fard (i apologise if i misspelled his name).

Jazakum Allaah Khayran,

Sadaf

11. Atif says:

Sh. YQ is looking GQ in his leather jacket, mashaaAllah.

12. kashif says:

mashAllah. what a eman filled event it was. unforgetable.

13. Abdul-Alim says:

ibnabeeomar- Thank you

Assalamu Alaykum wa Ratmatullah wa Rarakatuh,

Abdul-Alim

14. Ayesha says:

Wow, looks like an amazing event, masha’Allah.

15. Anon says:

“….not being a part of the backstage advice! What happened to gender equality? Sisters miss all the fun… ”

Only a select few special brothers got to go back there….and then only a select few brothers got to go out for dinner with the shuyookh. They like to hog the ilm…..

16. Hid says:

I loved the Q & A session with all the shayookhs and yes i was tearing at introduction of Imam Siraj and not to forget the emotional story by Abdul Bary Yahya (SubhanAllah, i cant even imagine how i would have reacted if i was in his place =(

17. Ms. says:

they didn’t take any pics of all the sisters there either!! (I was one of them)

18. Amad says:

to be honest, even though there are no female almaghrib instructors yet… but Imam Siraj is not an instructor either– so it would be nice to consider sister speakers for such events. So, they can have some “hang-out” time as well.

As for pics… its best to avoid taking pics of sisters unless it is from afar… some sisters really get offended if a pic is taken and some will go ballistic if they find their pics online. And I respect them for wanting that.

19. Yasir Qadhi says:

Salam Alaikum

@ Sr. Sadaf: I didn’t mention that Fard wrote a book; rather what I mentioned was that as far as I’m aware, no author has singled out a detailed study of Fard in a single work. Most works discuss Fard as part of their discussion on the NOI, and there are some very good discussions, but he seems to be eclipsed by his ‘student’ Elijah.

@ Anon.: In all fairness, the brothers who accompany us are all volunteers who have dedicated days and weeks of their time in preparing for the event. I understand and sympathize with your sentiment, perhaps you can suggest alternate, feasible solutions as to how one speaker can interact on a more personal level, in a reasonable amount of time, with a large audience (in this particular case, over 900 people).

Yasir

20. Ibrahim says:

Sh. YQ is looking GQ in his leather jacket, mashaaAllah.

Shaykh Yasir Birjas look equally GQ if not more, mashaAllah!

What story did Shaykh AbdulBary tell that was so emotional?

21. Sadaf Sheikh says:

Walaikum Assalam warahamatullah

JazakAllaahu Khayran Shaykh Yasir for your reply. Probably i missed the name of that book you mentioned in Ilmfest is an amazing book and you have read it cover to cover.

Also can you provide guidance on taking Photographs? Here i dont want to hurt anybody’s feelings but for my understanding, is it permissible in Islaam to take photos of human subjects? Shaykh Yasir, trust me i dont want to ask a deep question here but read various opinions from different scholars and will appreciate your view on that for the sake of our learning. If you want to refer me to any article, it will be great in sha Allaah.

JazakAllaahu Khayran for your patience with me. Alhamdulillaah your lectures have given me a new way of thinking and make me more and more interested in gaining knowledge in Islaam along with my studies in medicine. May Allaah accept all your efforts and give you highest place in Jannah al Firdous, ameen.

Wassalam

22. ibnabeeomar, I just posted the highlights (according to me of course) of Ilm Fest here if you are interested in reading about what you missed out on.

23. Alhumdulillah I enjoyed it a lot even though I was there very briefly. iA keep these conferences coming!

24. anyone know if the lectures were recorded on video?

25. Imtiaz says:

fastaqim.blogspot.com – Yes, InshaAllah we are working on it, make dua that it goes well

26. Nirgaz says:

Looks like it was a good gathering, wish I lived closer…its ok though Siraj was here in Nashville last week and gave a great speech about War and Peace in Islam.

27. Imtiaz – if you want to upload them as full videos on youtube let me know.

28. InshaAllah EmanRush will be coming out with the ILMFest set in 2 weeks or less inshaAllah!

Abdullah

29. I can’t see the pics for soem reasons…..

jazakAllahu khayran

30. […] Also:  A Photographic Window into IlmFest 2008 Share This Article With […]

31. Amatullah says:

just wanted to let everyone know that EmanRush will be selling the lectures from last year’s ilmfest for ONLY two weeks, i got this email:

After pleading with the EmanRush Management, Alhamdulillah I was able to get ILMFest Set reinstated for 2 weeks.
    This audio set is a landmark in understanding and defining what an American Muslim is.

Please go to: http://www.emanrush.org and click on Products

The set will retire in 2 weeks! Please take advantage of the opportunity and pass this email along.

32. Amatullah says:

Oh and IlmFest 2009 will be held in Nurayn inshaAllah!!