Some of the info. on this post is a little dated now. But Romney is still relevant, while alhamdulillah, Giul-911-iani seems to be becoming irrelevant, which is truly where he needs to stay. All Americans should thank God that the monster (Giuliani) that was being concocted by the neocons and Islamophobes, someone who would have likely created havoc in the world, has been tranquilized by Floridans in the must-win primary.

On the Romney front, this article by Juan Cole on Alternet is a must-read. For instance, Cole points to a recent op-ed by Naomi Schaeffer in the Wall Street Journal, where Schaeffer stated:

A recent Pew poll shows that only 53% of Americans have a favorable opinion of Mormons. That's roughly the same percentage who feel that way toward Muslims. By contrast, more than three-quarters of Americans have a favorable opinion of Jews and Catholics. Whatever the validity of such judgments, one has to wonder: Why does a faith professed by the 9/11 hijackers rank alongside that of a peaceful, productive, highly educated religious group founded within our own borders?

Cole's response:

I just wanted literally to puke on my living room carpet when I read this bilge. Islam is not'the faith professed by 9/11 hijackers.' Islam is the religion of probably 1.3 billion persons, a fifth of humankind, which will probably be a third of humankind by 2050. Islam existed for 1400 years before the 9/11 hijackers, and will exist for a very long time after them. Riley has engaged in the most visceral sort of smear, associating all Muslims with the tiny, extremist al-Qaeda cult.

We could play this game with any human group. Some Catholics were responsible for the Inquisition. Shall we blame Catholicism for that, or all Catholics? Of course not. Jewish Zionists expelled hundreds of thousands of innocent Palestinians from their homes in 1948. Is that Judaism's fault or that of Jews in general? Of course not.

More at Alternet

Back to beating the dead horse, perhaps to prevent a future resurgence of this monster, it is important to recognize how dangerous Giul-911-ani was, one of his officials advocated “Muslim-cleansing” and his official ad called Muslims “perverted people“:

“[Rudy's] got I believe the knowledge and the judgement to attack one of the most difficult problems in current history and that is the rise of the Muslims, and make no mistake about it, this hasn't happened for a thousand years. These people are very dedicated and they're also very very smart in their own way. We need to keep the feet to the fire and keep pressing these people until we defeat or chase them back to their caves or in other words get rid of them.”

And not “radical” or “extreme” Muslims:

I don't subscribe to the principle that there are good Muslims and bad Muslims. They're all Muslims.

More here (courtesy Jinnzaman).

See also:

25 Responses

1. Amad

Even though McCain is not that favorable for Muslims, I would say that his experience as a Vietnam POW has made him a bit more resistant to government abuses, so he seems to be a better candidate than Romney. Its all about the least evil choice among republicans- they are all pretty awful,

2. Muhammed

I’d vote for Romney over McCain in a heartbeat. Romney has a Clintonesque feel about him, that he will do whatever and say whatever he can to stay in power. That means that he will not invade Iran, may close Guantanamo and overall not be as belligerent. McCain, on the other hand ,is an old-style imperial militarist who will invade any country, vilify anyone and create even more bloodshed. McCain’s policy in the words of Pat Buchanan is that “The jobs are never coming back, the illegals are never going home, but we’re going to have a lot more wars.”

3. Abu Noor Al-Irlandee

McCain repeatedly says that he should be President becasue he “understands” the “transcendent ideological struggle of the 21st century” against z’radical Islamic extremism. ”

He is a warmonger and his rhetoric is fascist.

Muhammed, I agree that Romney seems more pragmatic and less scary than Giuliani and McCain, but with regard to Guantanamo he famously said in a debate that “We should double Guantanamo” (whatever that means…actually what it means is that Republicans are a sick group where talking about torturing people, occupying countries for a 100 years and ‘doubling’ Guantanamo are seen by their own leaders to be what the ignorant want to hear.

4. ibnabeeomar

the only republican i can stomach is ron paul but i dont think he has a real chance.. looks like we’re left to hillary and mr. hussein

5. Abu Noor Al-Irlandee

Musa,

Elway is a republican who has financially backed right wingers for a while and has been rumored as a potential Republican Congressional or Senate candidate in Colorado ever since he retired.

6. AnonyMouse

It’s depressing that those who have good qualities as leaders are those with the worst political views.
    Basically, whoever we end up with (in both Canada and America) is gonna suck in some way or another.

7. Siraaj Muhammad

Echoing Abu Noor’s thoughts, with Romney and McCrackhead, you simply have bad and worse. Both hate Muslims and want to wage war with them.

Giuliani, bad as he was / is, is nowhere near these two. If you have to go republican, go with Ron Paul, just out of principle.

Democrats, of course, Obama gets the vote over Billary (my custom celebrity name merge, watch it spread) Clinton.

Siraaj

8. Yus from the Nati

Ron Paul is a beast…unfortunately, he’d never get elected…He’s too real/revolutionary.

9. abu ameerah

I was personally devastated after Giuliani’s defeat in Florida. I am still trying to recover from the loss.

I can’t say for sure how the political landscape will shape up after Rudy leaves … but his tireless work on behalf of the people of the United States will be felt until the very end of this truly dismal election cycle.

Just imagine for a moment if Rudy would have succeeded in becoming our next President. Every single day would have felt like 9/11! The paranoia, the alerts, the mass panic…
    It would have been like the movie Groundhog Day (the one with Bill Murray), again and again. What a magical time that was indeed!

What will we do without you Rudy? What ever will we do?

Also, I think that the MM campaign against Giuliani has been malicious, unfair, and biased from the very beginning.

10. Abu Bakr

McCain seems about as gung-ho for war as Bush. There is one key difference: he seems to have a few more brain cells. Is that good or bad? Let’s hope we never find out…

11. Abu Noor Al-Irlandee

Musa,

Don’t tell me your fellow cheesehead and Abu Sinan look alike Mr. Favre is a Republican?

I know he’s a southerner and a hick (not trying to insult him, I think he’s a proud hick) but he’s also part Choctaw Indian.

12. Abu Noor Al-Irlandee

Musa,

No records of any Brett Favre donations to political campaigns on a web search, but both his wife and brother gave to Mississippi blue dog democrat Congressman Gene Taylor (blue dog meaning conservative on social issues — he’s a pro life Catholic — Favre is Catholic too) so we can count him as a Dem unless you know otherwise.

13. jinnzaman

I think we should support Barack Obama Hussein just to watch people get a kick out of watching the average American struggle to determine who their enemy is and who their President is.

Average American: Wait…. why is Saddam Hussein looking for Obama in Afghanistan? Or is it Obama? Whose on first?

14. Sequoia

I agree with Amad on a pragmatic level. Senator McCain has been attacked by the far right-wing, both on blogs and on the air. Hannity, Rush, Mark Levin, LGF, Hugh Hewitt all cannot stand this guy. These are also the same guys who constantly bash muslims and support President Bush’s assault on liberties (not to mention numerous other crimes). So while McCain is a hawk, he is steadfastly against torture of detainees and also for the closure of Guantanomo. Obviously it still isn’t ideal, but it is progress. McCain also isn’t beholden to the far right-wing, which Mitt Romney is. McCain is not my first or second or even third choice. But I do view him winning these early delegates is a step for the Republicans in the right direction. You cannot change peoples prejudices overnight. The Republican base has been lied to by the talk radio/Glen Beck crowd for 8 years. By going against the talk radio crowd, the reublican party has at least moved a step closer towards getting America to where it should be.

(Musa, I too grew up in Milwaukee…Good Hope and Port washington Road…by Bayshore……. :)

15. Sequoia

I don’t know if i made it clear… I would prefer Barak Obama (or even Ron paul and Hilary Clinton)…and I am not at all in favor of McCain’s hawkish stance. But I do support the republican base moving away from the talk radio propaganda that has constantly demonized Muslims and Muslim organizations. So i guess its not really McCain, but just the republican base going against the talking heads that makes me a little optomistic.

16. Sequoia

Yeah… I was visiting my parents in May and stopped by…couldn’t believe it….I wnt to high school right down the street at Dominican

17. bubaker

As Salaamu `aleykum,

I don’t see any seriously honest candidate I respect other than Ron Paul. The national parties and media marginalize him in spite of his popularity, so he may not win, but without a bloc-vote why not make a statement?

The established “front runners”:

* Barack Hussein Obama: the devout Christian dark-horse candidate (with a Muslim name from the Kenyan father who left him in childhood) who is a wildcard
    * Hillary Rodham Clinton: of Whitewater fame, a political machine and hawk on foreign policy
    * Mitt Romney: Mormon (read “American Religion” by Harold Bloom) and a consummate politician (“Now, I am for.. no, *against* abortion”)
    * John McCain: “You know that old song… ‘Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran!’ ha ha ha”
    * Mike Huckabee: I actually kind of like him as a media personality, but his advisors are all CFR globalists